PDA

View Full Version : moving a king mattress

jwslam
05-12-2014, 11:06 AM
what are my options without paying $150 to Ikea?

I want to believe that it'll fit in a GMC Safari with the seats out and put the mattress on an angle

Or should I not even bother trying that and strap it to a rooftop?

Looking at this one http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/90272143/#/40272145 so it seems like it'd be at least a little bit bendable?

ExtraSlow
05-12-2014, 11:57 AM
will not fit in a safari unless you have the high-roof commercial version. Might fit in a sprinter.
Could rent a u-haul for the day.

Does it need to go up any sairs or anything? That can be a deal breaker in some houses.

Myself, I'd pay someone to move it.

CapnCrunch
05-12-2014, 12:00 PM
You might be able to make it fit if you fold the mattress into a "U" shape. I'd think just strapping it to the roof would be much simpler though.

jwslam
05-12-2014, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Does it need to go up any sairs or anything? That can be a deal breaker in some houses.
Yup but my staircase is open (20ft ceiling thing going)

max_boost
05-12-2014, 01:19 PM
let me know who you pay to move it or how you get it done cause i have the exact same question lol

firebane
05-12-2014, 01:22 PM
King size mattresses are huge and do not fold very well. And when you do fold them you can damage them.

You need to ensure they are transported without folding which will require a truck or a trailer/box truck.

jwslam
05-12-2014, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
let me know who you pay to move it or how you get it done cause i have the exact same question lol
When are you moving this? Maybe we can split the cost on renting a uhaul for a day :D
I'm targetting June 19-22

BigMass
05-12-2014, 01:35 PM
for couples, little trick is to buy 2 twins and put them together. Way easier to move and give you more set-up options. Obviously won't work if you're buying a king just for yourself and you like to sleep in the middle of it.

bulaian
05-12-2014, 02:27 PM
Not sure if it will fit in a cargo van or not but Discount car and truck has vans for $18.95 between sundays and thursdays http://www.discountcar.com/onedaycargo.cfm

snowcat
05-12-2014, 02:32 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/89/2012_Nissan_NV_2500_HD_--_09-15-2011.jpg

There is no way you're getting it into a safari.

I just managed to squeeze it into this van, it took two of us to squeeze it in there - and I can stand up in it!

FraserB
05-12-2014, 02:37 PM
Wrap it and then use a pickup truck. The last bed I moved stuck out the back and off the side, but it never moved (and I drove from Tuscany to Evergreen).

If you want to move it the weekend of June 14/15 or 28/29 I'll help you out.

How does it come from IKEA? In a roll or flat?

LUDELVR
05-12-2014, 02:38 PM
I've moved a king sized bed using a Honda Ridgeline!! :rofl:

2 times for 2 different beds as a matter of fact and one time from Airdrie to the south end in Calgary in New Brighton!!

I did have to strap it down on top of the roof rack and the tonneau cover but it was fine. Bed seems fine...except for all the dents from all this!! *Insert Martin Lawrence face and gestures from Bad Boys movie, here*.

Sugarphreak
05-12-2014, 02:40 PM

Stealth22
05-12-2014, 02:54 PM
Add up the costs of renting a U-Haul (rental, fuel, time, effort, etc) and weigh it against the $150 IKEA will charge you.

Of course, renting the truck only costs about $20 or $30 I think, so your total cost will probably be well under $100. Although I've never rented one, so I don't know how much it costs to fill the gas tank. Depends on how far you plan to drive. Does U-Haul charge for kilometers?

You could also try strapping it to a pickup truck, if a friend/Beyonder is willing to help. As long as its in the plastic, you should be fine.

I wouldn't try bending it though. I bought a king mattress from Leon's...just from lifting it up to put a bedsheet over it, the thing does not bend well at all. You probably don't want to risk damaging it. I would have had the same issue, but thankfully, Leon's delivered the thing for free.

jwslam
05-12-2014, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
Wrap it and then use a pickup truck. The last bed I moved stuck out the back and off the side, but it never moved (and I drove from Tuscany to Evergreen).

If you want to move it the weekend of June 14/15 or 28/29 I'll help you out.

How does it come from IKEA? In a roll or flat?
28/29 might work. Thanks for offering! I'll let you know
I don't think I need to wrap/tarp because it should have factory packaging?

The packaging says this: I'm assuming flat although the last one my friend bought there was a roll.
Width : 77 1/2"
Height : 9 1/2"
Length : 79 1/2"
Weight : 90lb

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Wrap it in a tarp, lay some 2x4's across a truck bed and ratchet strap them down... if the bed isn't long enough, strap some additional 2x4's in the long direction out over the rear. Then stick it on top and use some straps to hold to to the 2x4's
That sounds like a lot of work. I'm just gonna roof it on a Kia Soul hahahahaha

FraserB
05-12-2014, 03:07 PM
Either way, it won't be an issue. If it's a roll we'll just toss it in and put a strap on the back and go.

roopi
05-12-2014, 03:08 PM
There are delivery services in town that will take care of this for you. $149 seems pretty high. You should be able to find a service in the $75-$100 range.

You could go the discount route and use someone from Kijiji as well but I don't know if I'd trust that.

spike98
05-12-2014, 03:10 PM
The delivery charge probably includes removal of the old matress and disposal of packaging from the new one. Doesn't seem like much but that is another two dump trips.

Sugarphreak
05-12-2014, 03:30 PM

firebane
05-12-2014, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Depending on the condition of your old one I think you can donate it

Most places no longer take mattresses due to health concerns.

darthVWader
05-12-2014, 03:36 PM
Some Kings have a hinge in the middle to allow you to fold it a bit. Only enough really to bend it around tight corners or stairs.

Call and ask Ikea if yours is hinged and if it can be folded.

shakalaka
05-12-2014, 03:41 PM
What is with you guys saying SUV's and pick-up trucks won't fit the mattress? If this guy can do it...anyone can lol.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-NNKRhLcm7Q8/UNM-WJIzNoI/AAAAAAAALdk/2CatWhuCvh8/s1600/Lamborghini+Mattress+Delivery.jpg