PDA

View Full Version : Question about importing super old car from the states

ekguy
05-12-2014, 08:18 PM
Was talking with a buddy and we got to talking about rat rod style cars and trucks as we've spotted a couple already this spring.

He says you can't import a car that old and modified that much from the states.

I'm thinking it's got to be possible, wouldn't some sort of classic car exemption or does the 15 year or older rule apply here?

Any restrictions?

englishbob
05-12-2014, 08:25 PM
I've imported a few old cars from down south without issue.
As with anything at the border it's all paperwork,title,bill of sale etc etc.but!! There can be issues when it comes to inspection time.
Lots of 'Rats' for sale in Canada too just have to look in the right places.
I can point you in the right direction if you give me an idea of what you're looking for.

firebane
05-12-2014, 08:31 PM
One of the coolest rats I've seen around Calgary is owned by a guy in Airdrie.

The thing is a turbo diesel and just a monster when its going down the road.

Its even cooler in person.

http://abdiesels.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8030

ekguy
05-12-2014, 08:45 PM
oh im not looking for one it's not my style. Was just curious. Wouldn't mind an old ass truck at some point later in life but what my buddy was talking about is completely not for me.

carson blocks
05-12-2014, 11:30 PM
Get something with a title, or from a state that doesn't require a title for classics, then a bill of sale will get it across the border. Once you get it running, then it just needs a OOP eventually before you can register it. 15+ years old and you don't need to bother with the RIV B.S.

BerserkerCatSplat
05-13-2014, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by firebane
One of the coolest rats I've seen around Calgary is owned by a guy in Airdrie.

The thing is a turbo diesel and just a monster when its going down the road.

Its even cooler in person.

http://abdiesels.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8030

How am I not surprised that turbominivan owns that rig? Dude's got style. Turbo Caravan, rat rod, why not.