PDA

View Full Version : So working as a field operator as a new grad?

EvoGTX
05-13-2014, 10:28 AM
Well, just recently graduated from petroleum engineering, been looking for EIT jobs since last September but so far no luck! I was offered a job as a field operator for a major producer which will start in two weeks but I wonder if this is a good idea? The pay will be great, love working outside, but I'm hoping this will give me the opportunity to move up into an engineering role within the company down the line... Has anyone here gone through this route?

mikestypes
05-13-2014, 11:01 AM
All EIT start in the field for a 1-2 year program here at CNRL. There is usually a year of operating and a year of field office engineering before moving to head office. While it can be tough if you are already settled in Calgary, it is awesome experience for future roles. I am the only one in my group that did not go through this program, so there is certainly evidence that it will allow you to move up.

Did you get hired as an EIT and put into a program like this, or did you get hired directly by a field office?

killramos
05-13-2014, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by EvoGTX
Well, just recently graduated from petroleum engineering, been looking for EIT jobs since last September but so far no luck! I was offered a job as a field operator for a major producer which will start in two weeks but I wonder if this is a good idea? The pay will be great, love working outside, but I'm hoping this will give me the opportunity to move up into an engineering role within the company down the line... Has anyone here gone through this route?

One thing to note is it won't count as engineering towards your designation. Apega is getting more and more strict about this.

Which field are you going to be working out of?

What I have found is a lot of the producers do this to have engineers in the field and avoid paying them properly (field work should be paid much better than office work). While having your feet on the ground for experience is important I think the jobs go a bit to far (ie new grad field position requirements). Very inflexible.

Perceptionist
05-13-2014, 11:45 AM
I would definitely take the field operator job if I was in your position. Getting your foot in the door with an E&P company is very important as a new grad, as I'm sure you are seeing. There are not many EIT postings right now and the ones that exist typically want 3-5 years experience. As already stated in this thread, most Oil and Gas companies put their young engineers through training programs that includes time in the field. Even if you are not technically in the EIT program at this company, you will likely be able to transition if they like you and you make good contacts. It might take a year or two of field work but you will make yourself much more valuable in the process.

EvoGTX
05-13-2014, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by mikestypes
All EIT start in the field for a 1-2 year program here at CNRL. There is usually a year of operating and a year of field office engineering before moving to head office. While it can be tough if you are already settled in Calgary, it is awesome experience for future roles. I am the only one in my group that did not go through this program, so there is certainly evidence that it will allow you to move up.

Did you get hired as an EIT and put into a program like this, or did you get hired directly by a field office? That's great to hear, it has been really tough just finding this position haha. I was hired directly.

Again everyone thanks for the advise and wisdom, really appreciate it! I'll be working south east from Medicine Hat.

ExtraSlow
05-13-2014, 01:41 PM
One thing you can do in that position to help yourself advance is to find out what your production engineers are working on, and to do as much of thier work as possible. It may feel a bit like being thier bitch, but you'll learn good skills, and you'll make a name for yourself. Botha re very important.

Good luck!