PDA

View Full Version : Used car seller scam - bill of sale question

B3yondL
05-13-2014, 06:59 PM
There was an ad for a civic which I went to check out. Asked some questions then test drove it. Brought it to 60km/hr and it checked okay but transmission seemed off. I asked him about it he said I guarantee nothing is wrong and you can bring it back to me if you want - I know this doesn't mean shit.

Made an offer he agreed and wrote up a bill of sale. He put his info in but I didn't sign anything or even wrote anything on the bill of sale, he said I could fill it out later. I was like whatever gave him cash. He's like you can take it with my plate so I drove off with his plate. I got to stoney and it has trouble going past 100 km/hr, definitely transmission is questionable.

Texted him "dude transmission is messed up, you said I could bring it back so I'll bring it back tomorrow" He obviously said "nope read the bill of sale, 'as is'". I said I didn't sign anything and technically he's still the owner, I can't even register the car because this bill of sale is meaningless. Hasn't responded.

Can I take legal action because I didn't touch the bill of sale?

syscal
05-13-2014, 07:04 PM
:nut:

firebane
05-13-2014, 07:06 PM
You gave him money and drove off.. Welcome to an agreement.

rizfarmer
05-13-2014, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by syscal
:nut:

FraserB
05-13-2014, 07:09 PM
OP, can you please do us a favor?

Since you won't be ticketed, go figure out which cameras in the city are actually working and report back here.

G-ZUS
05-13-2014, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

Since you won't be ticketed, go figure out which cameras in the city are actually working and report back here. :werd:

B3yondL
05-13-2014, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by firebane
You gave him money and drove off.. Welcome to an agreement.

On bill of sale it says

"sections 1 and 2 must be completed in order to make this Bill of Sale acceptable for vehicle registration."

Now unless my understanding of bill of sales is incorrect, I technically haven't bought the car. Words mean nothing, I might as well have been off for an extended test drive with his car going back to my house to get my plate and come back, sign papers, and take off his plate/return plate.

never
05-13-2014, 07:18 PM
Hahaha, this is awesome...if it's real!

FraserB
05-13-2014, 07:20 PM
You bought the car. Why you bought it when you knew there were issues I have no idea, but you now own a fucked Honda.

khanan
05-13-2014, 07:21 PM
Does it say anything behind it? If he never signed it then technically he didn't sell the car. But you did give him money and technically you don't have proof because he didn't sign it. :dunno:

But all private sales are "as is" even if doesn't imply. I got scammed once when someone sold me a rebuilt car, I couldn't do anything about it. Now I always perform an inspection and get a carproof before I purchase a car.

If you do decide to sue him for whatever reason, this should help you get started. Plus you won't even need a lawyer if you can read well between the fine lines.

http://www.albertacourts.ab.ca/ProvincialCourt/CivilSmallClaimsCourt/CivilClaimProcess/tabid/166/Default.aspx

khanan
05-13-2014, 07:22 PM

Since you won't be ticketed, go figure out which cameras in the city are actually working and report back here.

Also 1000x this.

lilmira
05-13-2014, 07:23 PM
So you gave him cash, now you have a broken car and you can't even register your new broken car with an invalid bill of sale?

B3yondL
05-13-2014, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by khanan
Does it say anything behind it? If he never signed it then technically he didn't sell the car. But you did give him money and technically you don't have proof because he didn't sign it. :dunno:

He's the seller, he signed his name and filled out car info. I didn't touch the bill of sale.

Originally posted by lilmira
So you gave him cash, now you have a broken car and you can't even register your new broken car with an invalid bill of sale?

The bill of sale isn't filled out by me. If I so choose, I can fill it out.

ndhal417
05-13-2014, 07:26 PM
What's stopping him from calling the cops and saying you stole the car? It's still registered under his name so it's still his car.

Also if the seller cancelled the insurance already but it's still registered under his name, who would be liable in the event of an at-fault accident ?

firebane
05-13-2014, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by ndhal417
What's stopping him from calling the cops and saying you stole the car? It's still registered under his name so it's still his car.

Also if the seller cancelled the insurance already but it's still registered under his name, who would be liable in the event of an at-fault accident ?

If he cancelled the insurance there is no insurance which means the person driving gets the fine.

FraserB
05-13-2014, 07:30 PM
Did he sign the bill of sale or the registration?

You did buy the car, you gave him money and then took the BOS and the car. I'm 99.9% sure a court would agree that everything that happened is enough to uphold a sale

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-13-2014, 07:34 PM
Why did you not drive it to highway speeds first, would have been so much easier /facepalm

syscal
05-13-2014, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by B3yondL

He's the seller, he signed his name and filled out car info. I didn't touch the bill of sale.

The bill of sale isn't filled out by me. If I so choose, I can fill it out.

You gave him money for the car and a signed bill of sale. Used to be that all you needed at the registry was a signature on the registration. You are shit out of luck.

How are people this naive?

B3yondL
05-13-2014, 07:38 PM
Did he sign the bill of sale or the registration?

You did buy the car, you gave him money and then took the BOS and the car. I'm 99.9% sure a court would agree that everything that happened is enough to uphold a sale

Yeah he signed the bill of sale. I didn't though. I didn't agree to anything the bill of sale said because I didn't touch the bill of sale.

His ad was also fraudulent in that he told several lies. "Car is in perfect mechanical condition" - I know this isn't seen as anything but is the judge to believe I single handedly messed the transmission in the matter of 5 minutes? He also said he owned it for x amount of time when that's not true. Also lied about the trim level.

FraserB
05-13-2014, 07:40 PM
Doesn't matter one bit.

You test drove and inspected the car. You know it was a different trim level and you knew about the mechanical issues. You have a bill of sale that the seller signed and you paid him, you bought the car. Both sections of the bill of sale don't need to be filled out at the same time.

JRSC00LUDE
05-13-2014, 07:46 PM
You fucked yourself. Why would you buy it when you said yourself YOU KNEW THE TRANSMISSION WAS FUCKED?

You got screwed and it's your own fault. Fix it or sell it and move on.

Alternatively, go smash all the windows out of his house or beat him with the tire iron.

You could also fuck his wife. Or mother.

Star1995
05-13-2014, 07:50 PM
I'm confused, you gave him cash, he gave you a bill of sale and the car. Now you want to return the car and claim the car isn't yours. So what's stopping you from dropping the car off in his driveway with the BOS in the car and taking the bus home? :dunno: then just wait at home for the mail man to drop off a birthday card from him with the cash in it.

ddduke
05-13-2014, 07:54 PM
Why do people come on here and ask for advice, then when they get it refuse to believe it and argue? What's wrong with this kid?

btimbit
05-13-2014, 07:57 PM
lcQlgnmVx2E

guessboi
05-13-2014, 08:05 PM
So many red flags here. btw how much did you pay him?
Also the plate is his...you can't use it or keep it.
Did you even get liability insurance before you drove off? :nut:

ReflexFX
05-13-2014, 08:06 PM
Dear beyond, what is your opinion on this matter?
(several posts later)
Nope, fuck all of you, I'm the only one thinking logically.

B3yondL
05-13-2014, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by ddduke
Why do people come on here and ask for advice, then when they get it refuse to believe it and argue? What's wrong with this kid?

I'm not arguing, I'm having a civil discussion but for some reason it's the people in this thread that are getting a bit antsy and not me. You can reread my replies to verify that I haven't used any profanity or shown a 'tone'.

It's almost amusing for me to read some of these replies. It's like you want the crook seller to get away :dunno:

Anyway, have his ad printed as proof of fraudulent advertising along with the unsigned bill of sale. Gonna send some 'legal ish' texts to scare him but otherwise it's the cops/court or whatever.

Will update for anyone who gives a shit.

inb4 no one gives a shit, we all love drama :clap:

schocker
05-13-2014, 08:12 PM
Thank you OP for perfectly outlining the opposite actions to perform when buying a car. :rofl:

Weapon_R
05-13-2014, 08:14 PM
Call a lawyer. Quick!

syscal
05-13-2014, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by schocker
Thank you OP for perfectly outlining the opposite actions to perform when buying a car. :rofl:

And following up with a perfect example of what's wrong with people today.

FraserB
05-13-2014, 08:18 PM

I'm not arguing, I'm having a civil discussion but for some reason it's the people in this thread that are getting a bit antsy and not me. You can reread my replies to verify that I haven't used any profanity or shown a 'tone'.

It's almost amusing for me to read some of these replies. It's like you want the crook seller to get away :dunno:

Anyway, have his ad printed as proof of fraudulent advertising along with the unsigned bill of sale. Gonna send some 'legal ish' texts to scare him but otherwise it's the cops/court or whatever.

Will update for anyone who gives a shit.

inb4 no one gives a shit, we all love drama :clap:

What is your rebuttal to you giving him full payment?

What is your rebuttal to you inspecting the car and acknowledging that it was not the advertised trim level and it was mechanically deficient?

How do you plan on proving he meant to deceive buyers by claiming the trim was different?

How will you have the signed bill of sale voided?

These are all things any court/lawyer/ cop is going to want to know if you do talk to them.

msixty
05-13-2014, 09:09 PM
Bill of sale doesn't mean shit, did he sign and give you the registration? You bought the car, so you have to live with that decision.

btimbit
05-13-2014, 09:11 PM

If he gets away it's because you've done everything in your power to let him. Really, you pay him in full, drive away in a car that you know is messed up, and expect a refund on a private sale?

I know it's not what you want to hear but you screwed yourself. Hope the car was cheap because that's an expensive lesson.

Tik-Tok
05-13-2014, 09:18 PM
OP no matter what your beliefs on the the subject, and how much you want to force him to trade back, unless you have money to burn the easiest thing you can do here is just fill out the rest of the form and register it to your own name and fix the transmission.

Otherwise your court costs will far outweigh the financial gain and time wasted with this a#$hole.

Sucks, but it's true. You have now learned a life lesson, and are wiser for it.

khanan
05-13-2014, 09:27 PM
How much did you pay for it?

G-ZUS
05-13-2014, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Call a lawyer. Quick!

Better call Saul!

A fool and his money are.........

englishbob
05-13-2014, 09:50 PM
The one and Only time someone can say
'Really?'
I thought I'd seen and heard it all but as my old dad would say .!you can't fix stupid'

Wanna buy a car?

loweg
05-13-2014, 10:02 PM
I have magic beans for sale pm me

rage2
05-13-2014, 10:09 PM

I don't think the car can go fast enough to trigger a camera. :rofl:

GTS4tw
05-13-2014, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by ddduke

Read the OP, he is a moron, that is what is wrong with him. I normally try to help people out, but wow, this one is out there...if its real.

J.M.
05-13-2014, 11:39 PM
Good job bob you owns a Hondas

gpomp
05-13-2014, 11:42 PM
There was an ad for a civic which I went to check out. Asked some questions then test drove it. Brought it to 60km/hr and it checked okay but transmission seemed off. I asked him about it he said I guarantee nothing is wrong and you can bring it back to me if you want - I know this doesn't mean shit.

Made an offer he agreed and wrote up a bill of sale. He put his info in but I didn't sign anything or even wrote anything on the bill of sale, he said I could fill it out later. I was like whatever gave him cash. He's like you can take it with my plate so I drove off with his plate. I got to stoney and it has trouble going past 100 km/hr, definitely transmission is questionable.

Texted him "dude transmission is messed up, you said I could bring it back so I'll bring it back tomorrow" He obviously said "nope read the bill of sale, 'as is'". I said I didn't sign anything and technically he's still the owner, I can't even register the car because this bill of sale is meaningless. Hasn't responded.

Can I take legal action because I didn't touch the bill of sale?

Quoting for when he deletes his post.

Team_Mclaren
05-13-2014, 11:49 PM
Since you never signed the BOS, whats stopping the seller from reporting the car stolen and keeping your cash? the car is still his right?! :rofl: :rofl:

snowcat
05-13-2014, 11:51 PM
Did you drive with no insurance?

AMFH403
05-14-2014, 12:10 AM
Did you wake up feeling stupid or is this normal?

16hypen3sp
05-14-2014, 12:51 AM
What really strikes me as bizarre is he lets you drive off with his plate.

TomcoPDR
05-14-2014, 12:55 AM
What happened to the Expedition you bought last year???

http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/need-advice-if-im-getting-ripped-or-not/showthread.php?s=&postid=4114417#post4114417

Cooked Rice
05-14-2014, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
What really strikes me as bizarre is he lets you drive off with his plate.

Probably wasn't even the sellers plate to begin with. May have not even been registered to the guy he bought it off of. But that's the buyers responsibility to check ID/previous registration papers before handing over the money. Or you get burned, like the OP

Originally posted by snowcat
Did you drive with no insurance?

I'm curious about this too :rofl:

sidewaysD
05-14-2014, 07:33 AM
Curious....

Since the plate is the original owners, and technically still registered to the owner.......

One can say... Great revenge would be to set off every speed camera/speed on green camera imaginable?

Tickets would go to the original owner. Obviously original owner would dispute these tickets and say I wasn't driving, Court would give them a big fuck you, and say "You are the registered owner, your responsibility. you deal with it"

Sugarphreak
05-14-2014, 07:42 AM