PDA

View Full Version : 60 models arrested in China.

ZenOps
05-14-2014, 06:35 PM
http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/columns/bibby-sowray/TMG10827617/More-than-60-models-arrested-in-China.html

For working as a model when on their tourist visas.

I suppose it would be fine if they worked for free, but its not a business visa, business visas around the world are around a million dollars apiece (to buy)

Blowback?

Weapon_R
05-14-2014, 06:58 PM
Canada does this all the time :dunno:

max_boost
05-14-2014, 07:00 PM
Holy harsh batman.

ExtraSlow
05-14-2014, 07:45 PM
Need more pics of said models before I judge.

Mista Bob
05-14-2014, 08:22 PM
Isn't this what every country does, how is this news?

ZenOps
05-14-2014, 09:24 PM
Four have been jailed, which is definitely on the unusual side.

The rest are already being deported.

Sign of the times, just people looking for work - one minor slipup on the paperwork then you are in jail. Gestapo like behaviour, in no small way instigated by Harper Jong Il, and the Harper government, not to be confused with a Conservative government, and definitely not for the people "Canadian government".

Don't be bending over for the soap ladies.

My score: Two minutes in penalty box for China, Two minutes to Harper, and an extra two for instigation.

rx7_turbo2
05-14-2014, 10:17 PM
I'm not sure why this is a big issue. You're in a foreign country, have all your shit together then double and triple check your shit or you might end up in a foreign prison. Is China coming down harder than other countries might? Maybe, but it's China if you didn't know that before you tried to go there and work then you're an idiot.

Robin Goodfellow
05-14-2014, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by ZenOps
http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/columns/bibby-sowray/TMG10827617/More-than-60-models-arrested-in-China.html

For working as a model when on their tourist visas.

Pics or it didn't happen.

wintonyk
05-15-2014, 12:14 AM
i have loads of friends that are models(worked with countless numbers)and have been following this pretty closely. chinese modelling agencies are notoriously cheap and shady. for years its basically been agency pays off the government and police to look the other way. Most the models that work in china are russian, eastern european or brazilian, so anything is better than their life at home. Unfortunately this also means a lot of uneducated and easily exploited models. There are some canadians, although i am not sure of any involved at this point.

Working without proper visa is very common in the industry and people get exported all the time, this was a big sting though and the first time people have been detained like this. In my experience, I always had work visas or work visa exemption when I was out there(never china though).

I messaged my agents and they luckily don't have anyone involved in this. But the rumours are continuing to expand to shanghai and hangzhou.

Haha the agency involved website is down. Can't even check out the talent. M3Model (m3model.com)

clem24
05-15-2014, 09:12 AM
I think this is a more interesting article, linked from ZenOps':

http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/galleries/TMG8020649/In-pictures-models-falling-over-on-the-catwalk.html

JAYMEZ
05-15-2014, 07:25 PM
This happens all the time , not really a big deal.

My gf just got back from Jakarta from modelling , and 2 models just got arrested and deported because the agent didn't fill out the working visas (Keetas or whatever) . The girls got put in a cell for a day by themselves and all they did was play on their cell phones and wait till a flight was booked back home (1 Canada , 1 Ukraine)