PDA

View Full Version : Windshield chip repair

sxtasy
05-14-2014, 11:38 PM
Did a search, but most threads are four years old. Is this an effective route to go? I had a chip repaired once (at an oil change place on macleod) and it ended up cracking across the whole windshield. Certain places to go and avoid? Does this process actually prevent cracking?

?????
05-15-2014, 09:41 AM
I personally think it is a good route to go depending on chip size.
It does help prevent future cracking but no places can guarantee that it won't happen.

If it does start cracking they can also try and stop the cracking by drilling a small hole at the end of the crack and filling the crack in (limited length). Again its not guaranteed it will stop.

I THINK depending where the chip or crack is sometimes they can change the direction of the crack so it cracks into a less visible area of the windshield.

As for places to go there all pretty similar to me. Haven't had enough repairs to tell you who has the best method and products.
DECO - the ones in the parking lots are pretty decent from my experience.

avishal26
05-15-2014, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by ?????

I THINK depending where the chip or crack is sometimes they can change the direction of the crack so it cracks into a less visible area of the windshield.

You can just do that with a slight thump of your first at the spot near the crack where you want the crack to go :D I may or may not have done that on work vehicles before... its a safety concern if the crack is right in your line of sight. :burnout:

dominionautoglass
05-16-2014, 09:47 AM
Fill your chips up if you can. Some folks don't care because they'll just replace the whole windshield and it's cheap. Others want to be preventative. Doing an effective chip repair early may be a permanent solution so it's worth it when done right.