PDA

View Full Version : Bringing CANADIAN car back from Phoenix

killramos
05-15-2014, 10:42 AM
Hi Guys,

I am doing my mother in law a favor next weekend and bringing a Canadian sold and registered car (still current) from Phoenix back up to Calgary for her. The car has been down there for ~2 years. Car is a Ford for what its worth.

I cant think of any reason in my mind why i should have issues at the border but just in case:

Will I have issues bringing the car back to Alberta?

The car is in neither me or my Fiance's name (though she is listed officially on the insurance) but I have a notarized letter that will authorize us to bring it across the border just in case they have issues with that.

I just don't want any surprises at the border. Otherwise the trip is just a vacation.

JRSC00LUDE
05-15-2014, 11:05 AM
Best bet to be on safe side may be just to talk to Border Services?

shakalaka
05-15-2014, 11:19 AM
If it is registered in Canada still for all they know you drove it down there and are now driving it back. I can't really foresee any issues but doesn't hurt to check I guess.:dunno:

4WARNED
05-15-2014, 11:32 AM
Still have a current Canadian plate? If so, you're good.

Along with that note, no issues.

killramos
05-15-2014, 11:48 AM
Yup Canadian Plate. Canadian Registration.

Car also isn't old enough to cause any inspection concerns etc.

Fair point about talking to cbsa though. I am concerned if I call them they will make it a bigger issue than it needs to be though.

shakalaka
05-15-2014, 12:45 PM
Yea under those circumstances, I wouldn't even bother. It's almost like you went for a visit and now you're coming back.

D'z Nutz
05-15-2014, 01:16 PM
It sounds like you have all that's needed and I think the notorized letter should be sufficient, but maybe just in case bring along a photocopy of the driver's license of who the car is registered under along with their contact information in case they need to call and verify.

My dad and his friend borrowed a car to drive down to Arizona and he said he got hassled at the border because they didn't have any documentation that tied the car to the actual owner. I seem to recall him saying a (hand written) note wasn't sufficient and they were expecting a copy of the owner's ID to go along with it. Don't quote me on that though. I have a feeling it's one of those get the wrong guys on the wrong day things.

guessboi
05-15-2014, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka
Yea under those circumstances, I wouldn't even bother. It's almost like you went for a visit and now you're coming back.

+1. I don't see any issue with a valid CDN plate.

killramos
05-15-2014, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
It sounds like you have all that's needed and I think the notorized letter should be sufficient, but maybe just in case bring along a photocopy of the driver's license of who the car is registered under along with their contact information in case they need to call and verify.

My dad and his friend borrowed a car to drive down to Arizona and he said he got hassled at the border because they didn't have any documentation that tied the car to the actual owner. I seem to recall him saying a (hand written) note wasn't sufficient and they were expecting a copy of the owner's ID to go along with it. Don't quote me on that though. I have a feeling it's one of those get the wrong guys on the wrong day things.

Exactly. Unfortunately the way it works with the border is 99% of the time is fine but you have to cover your ass for those idiots who take their job way to seriously.

Ill try and make it look like I'm not running for the cartels...