PDA

View Full Version : auto insurance - deductible?

gx12
05-15-2014, 01:22 PM
I haven't deal with any auto claim before. how's the deductible works on a not-at-fault accident?

short story:
my dad got rear-ended while waiting at a red traffic light back in March (icy/slippery road). other vehicle got some bumper damages(~$1000 maybe) and few scratches to my dad's suv. he just took some pics of the scene and told that lady he's not going to bother with insurance because there's no big damage to his SUV. I did ask him to file a police report just in case.

a month later, he got a letter from other party's insurance claiming he's partly responsible based on other party's report. he got a call from his insurance yesterday, they said he's 100% not-at-fault unless something rare happens.

it's a 2003 SUV, originally he didn't want to claim anything because it's an older vehicle and few scratches only, so she can fix her bumper herself without a at-fault record or something like that to mess up her insurance rate.

so if my dad were to get free new bumper, does he have to pay anything like a deductible? or other party pays everything?

Kloubek
05-15-2014, 01:30 PM
Firstly, he wouldn't be at fault. 1) He was stopped. 2) He was rear-ended.

If the other party was deemed at fault, he should get the new bumper without paying a deductible.

Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong.

G-ZUS
05-15-2014, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
If the other party was deemed at fault, he should get the new bumper without paying a deductible.

+1

If he doesn't care abou the scratches tell him to just take a payout

Brent.ff
05-15-2014, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

+1

If he doesn't care abou the scratches tell him to just take a payout

+2

Same thing happened to me in January. 100% not at-fault, rear ended while stopped. Deductible waved and bumper replaced.

FraserB
05-15-2014, 03:17 PM
Get the claim up as high as possible, then take a cash payout. His priority now should be to make her life as hard as possible for lying to her insurance.

Stealth22
05-15-2014, 04:02 PM
I was hit back in March by a driver who failed to yield to oncoming traffic before exiting a parking lot and hopping across a lane to hit me. She then drove off as if nothing had happened.

Long story short, she was caught by the police and charged with hit and run, and failing to yield.

I was of course, found 100% not at fault, and my deductible was waived. Damage was pretty minor, but the repair shop basically replaced anything in the general area of the point of impact, at a cost of almost $3000.

Revenge is sweet. :D

My only regret was, the one time my dashcam wasn't recording, I get something worth sharing. :bullshit:

Masked Bandit
05-15-2014, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by gx12
I haven't deal with any auto claim before. how's the deductible works on a not-at-fault accident?

short story:
my dad got rear-ended while waiting at a red traffic light back in March (icy/slippery road). other vehicle got some bumper damages(~$1000 maybe) and few scratches to my dad's suv. he just took some pics of the scene and told that lady he's not going to bother with insurance because there's no big damage to his SUV. I did ask him to file a police report just in case.

a month later, he got a letter from other party's insurance claiming he's partly responsible based on other party's report. he got a call from his insurance yesterday, they said he's 100% not-at-fault unless something rare happens.

it's a 2003 SUV, originally he didn't want to claim anything because it's an older vehicle and few scratches only, so she can fix her bumper herself without a at-fault record or something like that to mess up her insurance rate.

so if my dad were to get free new bumper, does he have to pay anything like a deductible? or other party pays everything?

He won't have to pay his deductible. Once your Dad opens a claim on his end, his insurance company will go back to the other side, verify that THEIR client is at fault (not your Dad) and they will pay for the new bumper.

You only pay your deductible if A) you're at fault or B) there is nobody else to pin the liability on (think hit & run or weather related events).

Edit: Additional info.