PDA

View Full Version : Disabling an electronic device that's behind drywall

mr2mike
05-16-2014, 09:10 PM
Just wondering if someone has an idea on how I could disable or zap a smoke detector that is somewhere behind the drywall in my house. Battery is dying and I have a good idea where it is but would rather not have to repair many drywall holes.

Thought about an EMP device but do they really work?

firebane
05-16-2014, 09:13 PM
Why not just do it properly and why on earth would there be a smoke detector in a wall. They go on the roof....

Get a stethoscope and go to the area where you think it is and listen for the beeps and pinpoint it.

mr2mike
05-16-2014, 09:26 PM
I'll borrow a stethoscope and see what I can get to.
It's on a heating bulkhead somewhere so it echos all over.
I guess it was placed there accidentally and it's not like drywall crews care or look.
They drywalled over a heating duct too.

pheoxs
05-17-2014, 08:30 AM
You could check if Home Depot or somewhere rents thermal imaging camera and the could see exactly where it is. Might be a good idea if they dry walled over heat vents as well to see other things

mr2mike
05-17-2014, 01:47 PM
Home depot doesn't rent them but I'll find a place that does. Just not sure if it would show up. Or not.

Darell_n
05-17-2014, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Home depot doesn't rent them but I'll find a place that does. Just not sure if it would show up. Or not.

No, it won't. The smoke detector is not a heat source and will be invisible. I have an IR camera for work and while it's useful for many things, it's not magic.

Unknown303
05-17-2014, 04:26 PM
Don't H-bombs disable electronics. Or Google how to make an EMP.

n1zm0
05-17-2014, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by firebane
Why not just do it properly and why on earth would there be a smoke detector in a wall. They go on the roof....

The greatest prank ever done by a drywaller

roll_over
05-17-2014, 05:50 PM
This should become an interesting thread, could you set up mics and triangulate the sound

se7en
05-19-2014, 06:32 PM
This is an awesome prank. I'll be sure to do this when I sell my house lol. Put them all over the place and wait a few years for the batteries to drain. It would drive a person nuts!

Unknown303
05-19-2014, 06:44 PM
Yeah I bet if you stuck one in the cold air return you'd hear it everywhere.

2000Accord
05-19-2014, 08:04 PM
Wasn't this on an episode of Modern Family?

spike98
05-20-2014, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Darell_n

No, it won't. The smoke detector is not a heat source and will be invisible. I have an IR camera for work and while it's useful for many things, it's not magic.

Depends on how sensitive the FLIR camera is. The one i had at my last job would measure up to 2000C and was sensitive enough to see footprints. I could see the studs through the wall because of how the heat distributed. Rapid temperature changes would cause the inward facing surfaces to cool/heat at a different rate than with attached wood acting as a "heat pipe".

That being said, id say the chances are slim that it would see it. Perhaps the differential temperature from the battery to its surroundings because heat is generated through he reaction.

You best bet would be to get a borescope or videoscope and start putting holes in the walls. 1/4" holes are MUCH easier to fill.

mr2mike
05-20-2014, 09:19 AM
I took pictures before all the drywall went up. I've been going through them to see possible areas where a smoke detector might have been tossed. Really, ontop of the bulkhead is all I can find.

Been thinking about the FLIR camera. If I crank the heat and this plastic detector is ontop of it, should it not heat up as well, quicker than surrounding areas? It should have some sort of different heat characteristics than a stud or insulation.

I've borescoped as far as I could without drilling holes. My limiting factor was running into insulation. It's insulated like crazy to help prevent sound transferring from upstairs.

carson blocks
05-20-2014, 09:25 AM
Could you use a smoke detector test spray or smoke machine to either help find it, or to set it off and simply let it scream until the battery is dead?

Seth1968
05-20-2014, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike
It's insulated like crazy to help prevent sound transferring from upstairs.

This.

I can't see how a camera or scope is a good idea considering the insulation. The stethoscope idea will be tedious and time consuming, but is probably the best way to go.

BTW- Shouldn't the builder be responsible for this?

pheoxs
05-20-2014, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by spike98

Depends on how sensitive the FLIR camera is. The one i had at my last job would measure up to 2000C and was sensitive enough to see footprints. I could see the studs through the wall because of how the heat distributed. Rapid temperature changes would cause the inward facing surfaces to cool/heat at a different rate than with attached wood acting as a "heat pipe".

That being said, id say the chances are slim that it would see it. Perhaps the differential temperature from the battery to its surroundings because heat is generated through he reaction.

You best bet would be to get a borescope or videoscope and start putting holes in the walls. 1/4" holes are MUCH easier to fill.

This was what I was thinking when I suggested it. When we did my home inspection we could see every stud, even the nails in the studs, any gaps in insulation, etc.

It's not a heat source but it is a different material than its surroundings and should show a small differential in temperature as a result.