PDA

View Full Version : Millions of unsold cars. Fact or fiction?

Kjonus
05-18-2014, 10:52 PM
Unsold cars are just sitting around piling up? I'm thinking fiction.

http://www.vincelewis.net/unsoldcars.html

Sugarphreak
05-18-2014, 11:03 PM

Kjonus
05-18-2014, 11:24 PM
Link been updated....

blairtruck
05-19-2014, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Kjonus
Link been updated....

link still no worky

01RedDX
05-19-2014, 09:33 AM

spikerS
05-19-2014, 09:48 AM
it isn't being hidden, they just dont advertise it.

They have contracts in place, that they buy so many of "X" part from "X" supplier, or they lose their price point, or encounter fines, so it becomes cheaper to buy and store.

They also have to keep a number on hand for crash testing, for NHSTA testing, movie productions, studying for defects and recalls, etc etc etc.

but yes, there are production over-runs all the time, and not just in the auto industry. and sure, they could sell these at a discount, but then who would go to the dealer? They will eventually make their way around. It is rare, but I have seen a few "brand new" units while car shopping that were 2 and 3 years old with 20kms on the ODO. It is pretty rare to find that in YYC, but according to some work colleagues, this is fairly common in Ontario and Quebec.

I am surprised this is such a big deal to some...

Disoblige
05-19-2014, 09:51 AM
"Yes I'm also an author and my book on conspiracy theories has no correlation whatsoever with this webpage."

lol..

I'm sure this is true, but is it really to the extent that the page is trying to convey?

schocker
05-19-2014, 09:57 AM
Fiction. If jalopnik can debunk it, you know it is 110% fiction.

01RedDX
05-19-2014, 10:06 AM

schocker
05-19-2014, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Then we'd better alert Bloomberg that they're publishing fiction:

Did you even read either article?
There are unsold cars sitting on dealer lots yes, having them sit in ports and in years old photos is not the same.

Also this?

When a car is left standing idle, all the oil sinks to the bottom of the sump, and then corrosion begins to set in on all the internal engine parts where the oil has drained away.

Cold corrosion is when condensation builds up in the cylinders and rust forms in the bores. The engines would then start to seize and would need to be professionally freed before they could be started. Also the tires start to lose air and the batteries start to go flat, indeed the detrimental list goes on and on.
OK sounds right.

01RedDX
05-19-2014, 11:19 AM

schocker
05-19-2014, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Not sure what you're saying - you're saying there isn't a glut of unsold cars that is getting bigger? They're not using photos of ports, but actual numbers to state this.

Also, it's true that cars sitting idle for prolonged periods without maintenance can be detrimental to many components of the car.
The bloomberg article is factual, the original article is false. Read the jalopnik rebuttle and they explain the different portions of the original article and how they are incorrect. It is not some conspiracy to keep people driving old cars as they try to explain. Of course there are lots of unsold cars on dealers lots of what I am trying to say, not making them and hiding them all over the world.

They overaxagerate the maintenance thing, if you let a car sit for a year, fresh gas and a boost and you are good to go. They make it seem as if it sits for a few months then suddenly the engine is shot etc.

71/454
05-19-2014, 01:27 PM
Anybody else notice the pic of all the Dodge Durango's? They are all white or gold/tan with no privacy tint. This screams fleet of some sort. :dunno:

heavyD
05-20-2014, 07:18 AM
Yeah this isn't really newsworthy but I did through the articles find this;

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-06-14/ford-fusion-is-denting-detroit-while-chasing-camry

Maybe it's just me but I am seeing Fusions everywhere. Ford really did hit a homerun with the styling on this one.

civic_stylez
05-20-2014, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
Yeah this isn't really newsworthy but I did through the articles find this;

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-06-14/ford-fusion-is-denting-detroit-while-chasing-camry

Maybe it's just me but I am seeing Fusions everywhere. Ford really did hit a homerun with the styling on this one.

When you hire one of the chief designers from Aston Martin, your cars should sell well!

94boosted
05-20-2014, 12:30 PM
The second I read this line from the original article I started laughing :

"becoming a mechanical epidemic of epic proportions."

:rofl:

Jalopnik sums it up best:

"This is paranoid nonsense that has the tiniest bits of reality inside of it, like a giant turd sprinkled with truffles."

sputnik
05-20-2014, 12:41 PM
http://www.snopes.com/photos/automobiles/unsoldcars.asp