PDA

View Full Version : Surface Pro 3

AG_Styles
05-20-2014, 10:40 AM
http://az607270.vo.msecnd.net/surfaceblog/2014/05/image-037-e1400563274656.jpg

It is powered by a 4th generation Intel® Core™ processor (there will be Core i3, Core i5, and Core i7 options), and storage capacity ranging from 64 to 512 GB with 4 or 8 GB of RAM. It still features a full-size USB 3.0 port for peripherals, a Mini DisplayPort for projecting to an external display, and a microSD card reader for expandable storage.

http://az607270.vo.msecnd.net/surfaceblog/2014/05/image-left-cyan-hero-e1400563125164.jpg

They've increased the size of the screen – Surface Pro 3 has a 12” ClearType Full HD screen with 2160 x 1440 resolution. The new screen is 38% bigger than Surface Pro 2, with 50% more pixels. In addition, every screen is color calibrated at the factory, so you’ll see accurate, brilliant colors, great white points, and great contrast on every device. The combo of the big, beautiful screen and SD card means Surface Pro 3 gives big-screen entertainment anywhere.

Surface Pro 3 couples all that power with a new multi-position kickstand that features a friction-hinge that lets you pick whatever angle you want from zero to 150 degrees.
MS has new click-in keyboards that come in five colors with 63% bigger track-pads and even more stability. They are announcing a new Surface Docking Station too for Surface Pro 3 that will be available in the next few months.

Live webcast (20th May 2014)
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/press/2014/may14/05-20webcast.aspx

schocker
05-20-2014, 10:49 AM
Pretty nice, good bump on screen resolution and the updated kickstand would be super practical. If you don't have the keyboard though a 12" tablet would probably feel pretty clunky. Good thing I didn't go for a surface pro 2 though :D

AG_Styles
05-20-2014, 10:53 AM
still waiting to see which i7 core it is and how many pressure points the new pen will have.

it's looking like a good replacement for my Wacom cintiqs at the moment. If I can develop my unity projects on it, then i'm sold.

rage2
05-20-2014, 11:00 AM
I was hoping it'd be a lot lighter. SP2 @ 900g, vs SP3 @ 800g. Hardly any savings. Same goes for thickness, only minimal improvements, which I'm not terribly happy about. The bigger screen isn't a huge issue, but the aspect ratio is for me. I don't think it'll clear my camera bag properly with the additional height lol.

Mitsu3000gt
05-20-2014, 11:03 AM
Any word on battery life? That was the main issue with the previous versions, was it not?

It looks pretty thick too...thicker than a folded ultrabook. Still pretty awesome though, I like them, but I don't think it'll be replacing the ultrabook.

rage2
05-20-2014, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Any word on battery life? That was the main issue with the previous versions, was it not?
Battery life was surprisingly good. I'm able to use 5 straight hours of high CPU lightroom work at max performance and screen brightness mode, and about 7-8 hours with the new power cover.

I was lucky to get 3 hours on my couple-of-years old laptop.

Xtrema
05-20-2014, 11:10 AM
Hopefully they finally have a dock with 1Gbps ports.

Last dock was lame.

Extra res is nice but I prefer the res with smaller or same size screen, not bigger. It's big enough already.

Mitsu3000gt
05-20-2014, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by rage2

Battery life was surprisingly good. I'm able to use 5 straight hours of high CPU lightroom work at max performance and screen brightness mode, and about 7-8 hours with the new power cover.

I was lucky to get 3 hours on my couple-of-years old laptop.

That's better than I had thought actually. Not bad.

rage2
05-20-2014, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
That's better than I had thought actually. Not bad.
Yea, I posted some of my usage scenarios (mainly auto show coverage) in the Surface Pro 2 thread. I was really happy with how well it performed, even though I'm forced to use high brightness thanks to calibrated screen.

Here's hoping that SP3 performs as well, if not better in terms of battery life.

rage2
05-20-2014, 12:24 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/surface-pro-3-microsoft-s-new-tablet-aims-at-laptop-market-1.2648243

I love reading the comments. Bunch of tablet people that don't get the Surface Pro is really a laptop fighting with a bunch of laptop people that think tablets are stupid. I guess it goes to show that Microsoft's marketing for the Surface Pro is pretty terrible.

The secret is to have both, iPad for entertainment and light work, Surface Pro to do real work that the iPad can't do.

AG_Styles
05-20-2014, 12:32 PM
I love comments on some of the other sites with people saying that MS can't compete with the iPad at that price range for a tablet, when it's clearly competing in the Ultrabook category.

but the battery life is supposed to be 10% more than the surface pro 2. Disappointed about not having the LTE/4G released in Canada. Guess we just dont have the market for it.

i'm also doubting that the i7's will be easy to get in Calgary. It was already almost impossible to find the surface pro 2 512GB here. They just get nicer stuff in the states... or at least in a bigger city.

AG_Styles
05-20-2014, 12:36 PM
Rage, the 3:2 ratio is because they wanted to simulate a more A4 paper size feel for those that use the pen for writing and drawing.

http://az607270.vo.msecnd.net/surfaceblog/2014/05/SP3-e1400563719667.jpg

schocker
05-20-2014, 12:37 PM
lol

Courtenay Bound

Good gravy...

What is MS thinking? $799 for the starting model? It doesn't matter if this is a full Windows experience. If they want to get some traction in the tablet market this Surface Pro 3 should start pricing at $249 and then move up to $349 and $449 respectively for the 3 models.

Maybe some people think I'm crazy for posting that but come on. MS is so far behind the market with such a terrible name in consumer minds that they need to make this dirt cheap.

Once again MS is over priced and 4 years late.

firebane
05-20-2014, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Hopefully they finally have a dock with 1Gbps ports.

Last dock was lame.

Extra res is nice but I prefer the res with smaller or same size screen, not bigger. It's big enough already.

You can use any type of dock you want on the Surface Pro. We've used Toshiba Dynadock and a Lenovo dock with no issues at all and it gave us extra usb ports and audio as well.

The biggest caveat is if the dock manufacturer supports Win8

AG_Styles
05-20-2014, 12:43 PM
Courtenay Bound
Courtenay Bound

Good gravy...

What is MS thinking? $799 for the starting model? It doesn't matter if this is a full Windows experience. If they want to get some traction in the tablet market this Surface Pro 3 should start pricing at $249 and then move up to $349 and $449 respectively for the 3 models.

Maybe some people think I'm crazy for posting that but come on. MS is so far behind the market with such a terrible name in consumer minds that they need to make this dirt cheap.

Once again MS is over priced and 4 years late.

Obviously someone doesn't understand how much haswell cores alone retail for. She'd be the same type of person up in arms if she'd have to sell something she made below cost as well.

schocker
05-20-2014, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by AG_Styles
Obviously someone doesn't understand how much haswell cores alone retail for. She'd be the same type of person up in arms if she'd have to sell something she made below cost as well.
Most of the cbc commenters are morons anyways. Had a good chuckle reading through all of those.

Took me until now to realize they didn't announce a mini which was smart :rofl:

AG_Styles
05-20-2014, 01:21 PM
4th-generation Intel® Core™ i5-4300U (1.6 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost up to 2.90 GHz) with Intel® HD Graphics 4400
4 GB or 8 GB of RAM — dual-channel LPDDR3
TPM 2.0 (Trusted Platform Module — for BitLocker encryption)

4th-generation Intel® Core™ i3/i5/i7 Processor
System memory: 4GB or 8GB memory options
TPM 2.0 chip for enterprise security

Surface Pro 3
Estimated retail price (USD)
Intel® Core™ i3, 64 GB1 and 4 GB of RAM
$799
Intel® Core™ i5, 128 GB7 and 4 GB of RAM
$999
Intel® Core™ i5, 256 GB7 and 8 GB of RAM
$1,299
Intel® Core™ i7, 256 GB7 and 8 GB of RAM
$1,549
Intel® Core™ i7, 512 GB7 and 8 GB of RAM
$1,949

Surface Pro 3 Accessories
Estimated retail price (USD)
Surface Pro Type Cover
$129.99
Additional Surface Pen
$49.99
Additional 36W Power Supply
$79.99
Additional Pen Loop
$4.99
Docking Station for Surface Pro 3
$199.99
Surface Ethernet Adapter
$39.99

kenny
05-20-2014, 01:34 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/surface-pro-3-microsoft-s-new-tablet-aims-at-laptop-market-1.2648243

The secret is to have both, iPad for entertainment and light work, Surface Pro to do real work that the iPad can't do.

Apparently the secret is to get the Surface Pro 3 :rofl:

They spent so long during the presentation in an attempt to get the writers in attendance to convey the right message to public that the SP3 is to be the single device to buy. MS seems to think shaving 100g off the weight is enough for people to use it for light duty.

There was supposed to be a SP3 mini but they killed it just prior to presentation according to Bloomberg. I think that's the right call, they should just stick to the one product line that has some traction.

AG_Styles
05-20-2014, 01:41 PM
Kenny, the mini apparently is still being worked on, but yah, they decided not to announce it right before the presentation.

i'm upset with the non-Wacom pen and the $2k price point for the i7 with integrated graphics card. :barf:

Mibz
05-20-2014, 03:10 PM
The 4th gen i5s and i7s all have the same graphics chip. Not sure if you've used a modern Intel CPU, but even the 3rd gen CPUs with HD4000 graphics are REALLY good for an integrated chip. The higher end 4th gen i3s will still be graphical powerhouses compared to anything made prior to last generation.

You can game on these, no doubt about it.

Xaroxantu Zero
05-20-2014, 04:58 PM
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8037/microsoft-surface-pro-3-hands-on-display-performance-preview

It's 256 levels of pressure, by the way. Down from 1024 from the Wacom.

Zhariak
05-20-2014, 04:58 PM
I'm sooo choked there's no built in LTE...

AG_Styles
05-20-2014, 05:06 PM
^ I linked the LTE/4G Surface pro 2 in the other thread. AT&T only in the US. Was also bummed no announcement for this on the pro 3 in Canada. I'm thinking the lack of it might be related to carriers not wanting to support this?

As for the Wacom thing, i'm choked, but I don't know if they have done anything on the integration between PS CC and the non-parallax feature to make up for the lack of refined pressure.

and the MS store site now lists the new models and their price. $1990 for the top of the line i7 model which is too pricey imo. But I already have a prev gen pro so there's no justification for me to buy it.

Xtrema
05-20-2014, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Xaroxantu Zero
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8037/microsoft-surface-pro-3-hands-on-display-performance-preview

It's 256 levels of pressure, by the way. Down from 1024 from the Wacom.

Well, talking about pissing off your already small base. I'm no artist but every designer I know want to give this a go because of the Wacom pen.

K3RMiTdot
05-20-2014, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Zhariak
I'm sooo choked there's no built in LTE...

What a joke... -__-...

I want the LTE version :banghead:

atgilchrist
05-20-2014, 09:21 PM
Why not hotspot your phone?

If our company's tech policy wasn't written by time traveling chimps from the 50s, I would live one of these for work!

dino_martini
05-20-2014, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
The 4th gen i5s and i7s all have the same graphics chip. Not sure if you've used a modern Intel CPU, but even the 3rd gen CPUs with HD4000 graphics are REALLY good for an integrated chip. The higher end 4th gen i3s will still be graphical powerhouses compared to anything made prior to last generation.

You can game on these, no doubt about it.

So did this new 4th gen i3 make it into this new Surface? I was going to pick up an i5 model but if I can get a decent i3 model for less then I'd probably spring for the cover instead of getting the up market i5

Zhariak
05-21-2014, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by atgilchrist
Why not hotspot your phone?

If our company's tech policy wasn't written by time traveling chimps from the 50s, I would live one of these for work!

I did for a while with my Surface Pro. Stopped after a few times because it was killing my phone battery when travelling, also my phone was getting SUPER hot in my pocket.

Then I started carrying around a datacard, which was a pain in the ass having it hang off the side of the unit. It was also annoying having to pull it out everytime I whipped the Surface out.

I want easy, I just want to pull it out, hit start, and bam: be connected to the intarwebs. :)

MalibuStacy
05-21-2014, 08:47 AM
I'm liking this new model based on what I've seen/read. Looks thinner then the old pro. Still love my original RT, but this new pro looks good, if I had the cash I'd even consider upgrading to this...

benyl
05-21-2014, 08:55 AM
Just get this and leave it in your bag:

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=WRLS_BuyFlow&_nfls=true&setLanguage=en&N=52%2B78%2B4294935510&_eventName=wirelessBuyFlow&productId_Detailed=AC763SBLK&forwardTo=PhoneThenPlan&productType=normal

Originally posted by Zhariak

I did for a while with my Surface Pro. Stopped after a few times because it was killing my phone battery when travelling, also my phone was getting SUPER hot in my pocket.

Then I started carrying around a datacard, which was a pain in the ass having it hang off the side of the unit. It was also annoying having to pull it out everytime I whipped the Surface out.

I want easy, I just want to pull it out, hit start, and bam: be connected to the intarwebs. :)

BigMass
05-21-2014, 09:33 AM
Haswell runs ultra hot. If you ran an iris pro chip in the surface pro it would melt like the wicked witch of the west. My entire hope for haswell was Iris Pro, but that has turned out to be a huge disappointment as nobody is using it due to the insane heat and power consumption.

Xaroxantu Zero
05-23-2014, 01:34 PM
Full review is up: http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/23/5743416/microsoft-surface-pro-3-review

The Surface Pro 3’s hardware is undoubtedly impressive. Although Microsoft calls it a tablet, it’s better to think of this Surface as a full-fledged PC that can work as a large tablet in a pinch. More than anything else, the Surface Pro 3 is the ideal physical form for Windows 8.1. Both the OS and the hardware feel like a computer with some (occasionally great) tablet features tacked on top. It’s as though the bits that make up Windows prayed really hard and created a physical version of themselves.

AG_Styles
05-23-2014, 06:44 PM
The base model, available for pre-order now and shipping in August, has an i3-4020Y processor, running at 1.5 GHz, with Intel HD4200 graphics. This model has only a single configuration, with 4 GB of memory and 64 GB of storage.

The model that Microsoft showed off at its press event on May 20 contains an i5-4300U processor, running at a clock speed of 1.9 GHz and Turbo boost up to 2.9 GHz, with HD4400 graphics. (This is the same processor used in the Surface Pro 2.) It's available in two configurations, one with 4GB of memory and 128 GB of storage and the other with 8 GB of memory and 256 GB of storage. Both configurations will ship in the U.S. and Canada on June 20 and will be available worldwide in August.

The top model in the new line has an i7-4650U processor, running at a clock speed of 1.7 GHz with a maximum Turbo frequency of 3.3 GHz and HD5000 graphics. Like all Intel mobile processors in the 15W category, this is a dual-core part. Both configurations include 8GB of memory, with a choice of 256 GB or 512 GB of storage, and will ship worldwide in August.

For those concerned about multiple monitor support, Microsoft engineers tell me they've tested these scenarios thoroughly. The i3-based model can comfortably drive two Full HD (1920x1200 at 60 Hz) displays, while the i5 and i7 models can power two external displays at a maximum resolution of 2880x1800 each at 60 Hz.

http://www.zdnet.com/which-cpus-will-you-find-in-the-surface-pro-3-7000029820/

kaput
06-10-2014, 11:15 PM

TrU-PaK
06-15-2014, 01:01 PM
Do you think that the Surface Pro 3 (128GB - 4GB of RAM) model would be sufficient to run full CS6 and Office Suite?

Or would the 256GB - 8GB of RAM be a much better fit for the extra $300?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Zhariak
06-15-2014, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by TrU-PaK
Do you think that the Surface Pro 3 (128GB - 4GB of RAM) model would be sufficient to run full CS6 and Office Suite?

Or would the 256GB - 8GB of RAM be a much better fit for the extra $300?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Go for the extra RAM!

rage2
06-15-2014, 05:56 PM
Extra RAM. Worth every penny.

schocker
06-15-2014, 07:18 PM
Extra RAM. Worth every penny.
That recommendation is how I ended up with a macbook pro :rofl:

TrU-PaK
06-23-2014, 12:16 PM
^
^^

Thanks for the advice.

I ended up ordering the 256 extra ram model - hopefully should be here this week sometime
:clap:

firebane
06-23-2014, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by TrU-PaK
^
^^

Thanks for the advice.

I ended up ordering the 256 extra ram model - hopefully should be here this week sometime
:clap:

The extra ram for photoshop will help greatly.

Kavy
07-24-2014, 08:53 PM
Its been a few weeks and im still really impressed with this thing.

I tried battlefield 4 on it and was running it no problem on low settings and decently on high settings. I wouldnt play it on high settings all the time as when things get crazy there is some dropped frames but for a tablet/ultrabook i am more then impressed.

One of the things that made the biggest changes I found was installing the intel 4400 drivers over the stock drivers. Fonts got tighter in firefox aurora and photoshop got considerably quicker when using content aware.

MGCM
07-25-2014, 12:45 AM
boxing day sales on this perhaps?

rage2
07-25-2014, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Kavy
One of the things that made the biggest changes I found was installing the intel 4400 drivers over the stock drivers. Fonts got tighter in firefox aurora and photoshop got considerably quicker when using content aware.
Any lost features with using the Intel drivers?

Kavy
07-30-2014, 07:31 PM

Any lost features with using the Intel drivers?

None at all. fonts are crisper and Photoshop is defiantly faster. South park also plays pretty dam fine now :)

Download driver uninstaller
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

then the intel 4400 drivers
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23884&lang=eng&ProdId=3719

(dont install the beta drivers, they are absolutely no different)

Run driver sweeper and let it remove intel drivers then reboot and install the intel drivers using the regular method. You will have to disable auto updates as microsoft will keep trying to install the older drivers.

These drivers will also allow color correction.

Kavy
07-30-2014, 07:34 PM
And on a side note I must say I absolutely love this thing. A great add on for firefox is default browser zoom. it allows you to change the zoom and have it save for individual pages which is a big plus on a screen this small with this high of resolution.

One thing I have noticed is the battery plug is a better design, my surface 2 is worn at the battery plug.

kaput
08-18-2014, 07:36 PM

Env-Consultant
08-18-2014, 08:01 PM
Have one on the way to demo software to O & G companies in Canada and the USA. Coupling it with a wireless projector. Will give me the ability to walk around the room with it strapped on my arm, click through finely detailed software, and present at the same time. Can't wait!

Kavy
08-18-2014, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by kaput
How do you feel about the durability so far? I'm seeing a lot of concerning reports about the glass being too thin and breaking if you look at it wrong. The spot where they drilled the hole for the microphone (right where your thumb would often land when holding/carrying it) seems especially weak.

I have not had any durability issues. Having an iPad Air, iPad mini retina I would say the surface 3 "feels" more solid. I don't abuse my surface so I can't comment on a drop or anything of that nature but it has lasted extremely well on about 15 flights since I bought it wii no wear to show.

oilerfan4lyfe
08-18-2014, 08:35 PM
Is anyone else still having battery percentage indicator issues? I've read the billion forum posts on the microsoft website but mine is still wonky.

Mine seems to discharge normally but the computer will randomly die at any point once it goes below 50% and I never know when as it seems to vary. It worked fine for about a week at some point and I disabled microsoft updates hoping that new updates wouldn't screw it up again but that didn't help.

Any suggestions?

Kavy
08-18-2014, 08:44 PM
I haven't had them.

What model do you have?

oilerfan4lyfe
08-22-2014, 11:45 AM
i5 /w 256gb HD and 8gm of ram

I was starting to think that this is the best product microsoft has ever come out with until it started dying on me without any notice whatsoever. Yesterday the battery went down to 21% and then suddenly the computer turned off and wanted to be charged.

Kavy
08-22-2014, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by oilerfan4lyfe
i5 /w 256gb HD and 8gm of ram

I was starting to think that this is the best product microsoft has ever come out with until it started dying on me without any notice whatsoever. Yesterday the battery went down to 21% and then suddenly the computer turned off and wanted to be charged.

I have that same model and have not had an issue like that.

Are you all caught up on firmware updates? There was another one on the 18th.

I have mine at work and have been using it since 7am and still have 66% battery left. Normally I get down to around 25% on a workday and it had never shut off.
When I first got mine I had some major wifi issues but did a full restore and they have never returned.

TrU-PaK
08-22-2014, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by kaput
How do you feel about the durability so far? I'm seeing a lot of concerning reports about the glass being too thin and breaking if you look at it wrong. The spot where they drilled the hole for the microphone (right where your thumb would often land when holding/carrying it) seems especially weak.

Get a tempered glass protector and you won't have any worries for the screen. I picked one up off ebay for around $20

I have that same model and have not had an issue like that.

Are you all caught up on firmware updates? There was another one on the 18th.

I have mine at work and have been using it since 7am and still have 66% battery left. Normally I get down to around 25% on a workday and it had never shut off.
When I first got mine I had some major wifi issues but did a full restore and they have never returned.

:werd: same model - no battery issues what so ever.

oilerfan4lyfe
08-24-2014, 11:37 AM
I got the new firmware updates yesterday...I ran a 1080p video continuously and it seemed to be fixed, though last time it seemed to be fixed and a few days later the same shit started happening. Hopefully it lasts for good.

weezy00
09-01-2014, 04:36 PM
How do you guys like it who have it?

Is it really a replacement to a tablet?

rage2
09-01-2014, 05:15 PM
I still haven't been able to replace my iPad with the SP2 from an apps perspective. Anyone know if the SP3 has a more accurate touch sensor?

Kavy
09-01-2014, 07:16 PM
I still haven't been able to replace my iPad with the SP2 from an apps perspective. Anyone know if the SP3 has a more accurate touch sensor?

I had a SP2 previously and the pen and screen is considerably more responsive on the SP3 IMO. I do a lot of photo editing and video editing and the pen and touchscreen cuts my edit time in half.

MS hit one out of the park with the SP3, screen size is perfect for travel and editing and it has run everything I have thrown at it and I haven't had a single stutter.

For apps I agree, I still need me some boom beach and simpsons or else I would never touch the ipad.

Kavy
10-22-2014, 07:00 PM
Google Canary is now close to perfect when it comes to browsing in metro mode on the surface.

Made the switch about a week ago and i havent looked back at IE since

Kavy
11-27-2014, 09:34 PM
Google Canary is now close to perfect when it comes to browsing in metro mode on the surface.

Made the switch about a week ago and i havent looked back at IE since
I take this back, Canary last update made it completely frustrating to work with.

On an unrelated note the newest Intel drivers allow custom resolutions so now multiscreen and Lightroom are great to work with. I have found I can use a custom resolution so scaling isn't an issue.

deee_wreck
12-07-2014, 11:09 AM
BUMP ---Any updates from owners?

I'm on the fence with getting an SP2 or SP3.

CPU is similar, weight is negligible 100g difference. Size is the kicker

I have an ipad 3 , and a Asus Vivotab Note 8 (which is great but im always wanting more screen) , so i would like to consolidate to one unit for being on the go.

Kavy
12-07-2014, 01:18 PM
I love mine, if you plan on using it for what it's made for you will be more than happy. Most people who complain about the surface try running games at high settings. It's a ultra portable touchscreen laptop.

I take mine on all my trips because I can pop it out to watch movies browse, use Photoshop etc. Everything a regular laptop can do without the restrictions I get on my iPad. I use my phone for the apps and the surface for everything else.

kaput
12-07-2014, 01:20 PM

oilerfan4lyfe
12-08-2014, 05:18 PM
Love the SP3 now that they've finally fixed the damn battery issues.

As far as gaming goes, mine runs Black Ops 2 without a problem, just not at high settings. That's more than good enough for me.

Battery Life could be better for sure. This thing doesn't last as long as my Asus U30JC would back in the day. I'd guess it's around 5-6 hours of normal use (internet, some videos, MS word).

Kavy
12-08-2014, 06:19 PM
I get around 8 when it's emails and browsing. 6 with video or Photoshop.

I never had battery issues out the box or Wi-Fi issues but some have.

oilerfan4lyfe
01-29-2015, 02:20 PM
Anyone else having issues with the battery life deteriorating like crazy on this thing?

I only get about 2.5 hours of video in on airplane mode now. I used to get around 5 just a couple of months ago.

I don't abuse the battery at all and it's not like I change/drain it every single day.

At this rate it'll turn into a plug in only computer by the end of this year which will completely defeat the purpose of having a surface.

Does microsoft cover this sort of thing under warranty? It's less than a year old.

Kavy
01-29-2015, 03:28 PM
^
I have had mine since release and my battery still lasts well over 6 hours with constant use. I watched the flames game Tuesday on batteries and had over 70% left after streaming game center with 80% brightness for 2.5 hours.

That should be covered under warranty. What does your battery health report and are you up to date in firmware?

rage2
01-29-2015, 03:44 PM
My battery life is really good too on the SP2. I left it unplugged after my trip, and it lasted a 14 hours worth of light work with the spare battery.

Definitely warranty it.

oilerfan4lyfe
01-29-2015, 04:25 PM
Installing the Jan 15, 2015 firmware right now, but otherwise everything is up to date.

Design capacity is 41,157 and full charge capacity is 34,390 mWh. Cycle count is 333. The cycle count seems a little weird...I normally use/charge my surface 2-3x a week at the most, but I think the way it's calculated is a little funny.

Yesterday I used my battery in 2:28:42 - that's watching a 720p MKV on airplane mode. My full charge capacity is down from ~44k in Aug 2014 to 34k now.

I'll take it to the microsoft store and see if I can convince them to give me a new one.

What do you guys have for numbers?

firebane
01-29-2015, 07:36 PM
Poor SP3 and all its little quirky issues. The wifi issues its been having hit us hard at our work. We've been deployed a few out that the networking drivers literally shat the bed on us.

We are trying the latest driver update to hopefully rectify the issue.

Kavy
01-29-2015, 09:05 PM
Installing the Jan 15, 2015 firmware right now, but otherwise everything is up to date.

Design capacity is 41,157 and full charge capacity is 34,390 mWh. Cycle count is 333. The cycle count seems a little weird...I normally use/charge my surface 2-3x a week at the most, but I think the way it's calculated is a little funny.

Yesterday I used my battery in 2:28:42 - that's watching a 720p MKV on airplane mode. My full charge capacity is down from ~44k in Aug 2014 to 34k now.

I'll take it to the microsoft store and see if I can convince them to give me a new one.

NAME
MANUFACTURER LGC_LGC
SERIAL NUMBER
CHEMISTRY LION
DESIGN CAPACITY 42,157 mWh

FULL CHARGE CAPACITY 42,112 mWh
CYCLE COUNT 239

I would take the surface in and get a replacement. I bought Microsoft complete specifically in case I have battery issues.

ChickenPho
02-01-2015, 03:03 PM

Which firware did you download? I see 3.

http://oi57.tinypic.com/11j921j.jpg

And what do you use to check the charge capacity and cycle count?

Thanks

I love my SP3, use it as my notepad everyday at work. The day I bought and took my SP3 home, I knew it was bye bye to my MacBook Pro and ipad. Dont miss either. This is probably the best electronic ive bought in the past 5 years.

googe
02-01-2015, 03:35 PM
Battery life is shit, wifi is still buggy, cpu is throttled, multi-monitor at different resolutions doesn't work, bunch of other issues. Got mine when it launched, overall it's been a big disappointment and they oversold it and cut corners. Definitely not an Apple product. Hoping SP4 is better. I guess it's good if you're coming from other PC manufacturers. It's not really a tablet and a laptop at all, it's just a portable laptop. Still hasn't replaced my ipad. Doesn't even have an e-reader.

S13_Ryan
02-01-2015, 05:29 PM
i have a surface pro 2 w/ cyan keyboard i no longer use if anybody wants it PM me, its up for grabs

Kavy
02-01-2015, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by googe
Battery life is shit, wifi is still buggy, cpu is throttled, multi-monitor at different resolutions doesn't work, bunch of other issues. Got mine when it launched, overall it's been a big disappointment and they oversold it and cut corners. Definitely not an Apple product. Hoping SP4 is better. I guess it's good if you're coming from other PC manufacturers. It's not really a tablet and a laptop at all, it's just a portable laptop. Still hasn't replaced my ipad. Doesn't even have an e-reader.

I have two in the household and neither suffer from this, I imagine there was some quality control on the first batch.

Multi resolution is easy with the Intel drivers.

khanan
02-03-2015, 10:40 PM
Completely off topic, but Im in the market for a used one for uni. Feel free to contact me if anyone is selling theirs.

Thanks

oilerfan4lyfe
02-04-2015, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by ChickenPho

Which firware did you download? I see 3.

And what do you use to check the charge capacity and cycle count?

Thanks

I love my SP3, use it as my notepad everyday at work. The day I bought and took my SP3 home, I knew it was bye bye to my MacBook Pro and ipad. Dont miss either. This is probably the best electronic ive bought in the past 5 years.

I just used windows update and it told me there was new firmware available and installed it for me. Didn't manually pick anything.

I opened up command prompt and typed in "powercfg /batteryreport" to get the stats

So just to provide an update...I took mine back to the microsoft store. The tech reinstalled the battery in device manager and changed up the drivers. It didn't do much for the battery stats so I told him I want a new computer and they gave me a new one on the spot. Great customer service! I was definitely impressed.

bspot
02-10-2015, 01:43 PM
There is a one day sale on these.

Ordered one from Best Buy, then noticed the MS store had the same deal and a free sleeve.

If anyone misses the sale and wants to buy one of them before I return it, let me know.

I haven't even decided if I'd keep either, as I haven't actually tried one yet.

I ordered 2xi5 256Gb