PDA

View Full Version : Nissan Murano

maxout
05-22-2014, 05:50 PM
Alright, did a search and nothing comes up. After searching for a Audi all road I decided to stay away from all the problems.

With that being said I decided to get into a Nissan Murano. Looking between 2004 to 2007. I heard mix reviews about the cvt and transfer case. Is there any owners out there that can tell me more on your experience with them. I know they done some slight changes to the 2006 but is it worth it to pay a bit more. Also what trim level is good to look at or stay away from.

Thanks in advance.

AE92_TreunoSC
05-22-2014, 07:17 PM
They are not great cars. I worked at a Nissan for a year or so and saw many major problems on them. The CVT and transfer case issues are still covered under a warranty extension often but there are loads of other expensive problems that other similar Japanese models don't suffer from.

The most expensive issues CVT aside is the timing chain and lifter issues I saw. Other issues are constant ball joints and wheel bearings.

NoMoreG35
05-22-2014, 09:04 PM
Why not get a brand new Murano. My buddy just bought an SL today for $36xxx all in :nut:

Then you don't have to worry about any mechanical issue for the next 5 years :D

ddduke
05-22-2014, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by NoMoreG35
Why not get a brand new Murano. My buddy just bought an SL today for $36xxx all in :nut:

Then you don't have to worry about any mechanical issue for the next 5 years :D

Maybe because he's looking at sub 10k cars so 36000 is probably out of his budget.

Maybe he can't afford to make $500 monthly payments.

Such poor advice.

NoMoreG35
05-22-2014, 09:47 PM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/personal-finance/household-finances/the-stingy-guide-to-car-buying/article15301792/

If he can't make $500/month payment, would he be able to shell out thousands for a new tranny, let alone leaving it at the shop for a few weeks?

This argument can go on forever ;)

ddduke
05-22-2014, 09:54 PM
No, it really can't. Not in this case anyways. I didn't read your whole article but it started with 1-2 year old VS. new, that's where I stopped reading. Not 10 years old VS. new.

He's asking about reliability because he probably doesn't want to spend extra money on his vehicle (or can't afford to) so he's looking for something reliable. Or maybe he's a student with X amount of money to spend and won't be able to make payments in a year or 2.

You have to give your head a shake if you think what you offered was sound advice based on his question.

maxout
05-22-2014, 10:08 PM
ddduke is right. I am looking to spend 10k on a secondary vehicle. If the Murano is not worth it than I will consider something else. I am open to suggestions.

My question was if the Murano is reliable and if its something for me to consider. It will be daily driver.

I can go out a finance another car however I do not want payments or use any sort of line of credit.

The_Penguin
05-22-2014, 10:09 PM
Mrs. Penguin has a 2011, it's been quite reliable. Fog lights break very easily, and the nav system is the most un-intuitive POS I've ever seen, but otherwise it's been great.

Canucks3322
05-22-2014, 11:15 PM
How much you gonna drive it .. The cvt fails randomly on these and cost $4,000 to fix. ..Definitely a gamble but I can tell you they are awesome cross overs had an 04 for a couple years.. Looks great lots of power and great handling plus awesome for our winters. . Didn't have any tranny issues but I only put maybe 15-20,000 km on it and bought it with 169,000km on it. If I didn't pick up a newer Pathfinder I would've gotten another one of these but spend maybe 6,000 and set aside 4 in case tranny goes.

JVR1
05-23-2014, 01:14 AM
We had an 04 that was bought used along with a brand new '11 that was purchased new and currently still own. The 04 did have ball joint issues along with a leaky sunroof but I really liked the interior room. The '11 has been very reliable thus far but seems very plastic and space seems to be lacking. I would still recommend the older one if you can find one in good shape for the right price

heavyD
05-23-2014, 06:51 AM
May as well get an All-Road if you are worried about reliability and the Murano is the alternative.

n1zm0
05-23-2014, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by maxout
It will be daily driver.

Go buy a used CRV then if you want wagon/SUV on a budget and need reliability.

maxout
05-23-2014, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the imput. The ones I have seen seems to be pretty well driven. I did find a 2006 SL in Edmonton with 120K. I will go check it out this weekend.

I did had a CRV before but find it pretty boring to drive. I did like how much it cost to fill up.

xplicit_sir
05-23-2014, 09:51 AM
I've been driving an 05 Nissan Murano SE for almost 6 years now and it's an awesome daily driver! Lots of room and plenty of power as mentioned previously. I bought it with 129000kms and its creeping to almost 203000kms. Fortunately, I haven't had to do any major repairs yet. The only negative I have to say about the vehicle is the door lock actuators! Both my driver side and rear passenger side don't lock or unlock with the keyless entry, and supposedly its a common problem with these vehicles.

Canucks3322
05-23-2014, 10:22 AM
Another common thing is stuck gas tank doors lol but they're easy to get to from behind the trunk wall liner, also stock cd players will play music out from one side of your Murano, solution is to wack it hard seriously it works, learned that from a Murano forum.

doomdealer
05-23-2014, 11:01 AM
I'm not certain about this, but I also recall the following on Murano that might not make it work well as a daily driver:

- takes premium gas
- requires oil changes every 3 months or 6,000km

The frequent oil changes seem to be a pretty standard thing for Nissans (my Rogue is the same). I was surprised at the premium gas requirement tho.

G-ZUS
05-23-2014, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by doomdealer
- requires oil changes every 3 months or 6,000km

Isn't that normal :dunno:

benyl
05-23-2014, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by maxout
ddduke is right. I am looking to spend 10k on a secondary vehicle.

http://ca.autoblog.com/2014/05/23/2015-nissan-micra-review-cheapest-car-canada

bjstare
05-23-2014, 01:13 PM
In summary...

OP: Hey guys, should I get a Murano? Are they reliable?

Everyone: No
No
No
No
No

OP: Ok Thanks for the imput guys I'm gonna go look at a Murano.

ExtraSlow
05-23-2014, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
May as well get an All-Road if you are worried about reliability and the Murano is the alternative.
QFT. the all-road is a better option IMO.

doomdealer
05-23-2014, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

Isn't that normal :dunno:

May be it's just me then, but I'm more used to my 06 TSX daily driver only needing oil changes 2-3 times at most each year.

G-ZUS
05-23-2014, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by cjblair
In summary...

OP: Hey guys, should I get a Murano? Are they reliable?

Everyone: No
No
No
No
No

OP: Ok Thanks for the imput guys I'm gonna go look at a Murano.

Seems to be a common occurence around here :rofl: :facepalm:

NoMoreG35
05-23-2014, 07:09 PM
In all seriousness, jokes aside.. Get a Honda/Toyota if you just want to look at 10+ year old cars..

Of course you don't want to spend a lot of money up front, but considering the potential maintenance cost on a first gen Murano, good luck? :dunno: