PDA

View Full Version : Spring Allergy Season is here!

Nitron88
05-23-2014, 11:51 AM
Need some tips guys, getting some crazy spring allergies this year. Stuffy nose being one of the main culprits!

For those who have spring allergies what do you take to rid of your symptoms?

A790
05-23-2014, 11:54 AM
Claritin. Nothing else seems to work for me :(

msommers
05-23-2014, 11:58 AM
One person I know swears by this solution you run through your nasal cavity. Looks like a disgusting process but beats taking meds constantly IMO.

blitz
05-23-2014, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by msommers
One person I know swears by this solution you run through your nasal cavity. Looks like a disgusting process but beats taking meds constantly IMO.

Yup, it works really well.

That plus a prescription for flonase works better than any of the pills I've tried.

ExtraSlow
05-23-2014, 12:04 PM
Rinsing nose is awesome!
It doesn't "cure" allergies, but having a clean start once a day can really help reduce symptoms.
I also do it whenever I have a cold, it can really help your breathing.

Feels super strange the first few times though, and make sure you don't use fresh tapwater, it's gotta have that salt solution in it or it'll hurt like a MF.

I do reactine as my once-a-day pills and rinse the nose once as well.

Skidro
05-23-2014, 12:37 PM
I have had sever allergies for the past few years and this year I have tried using nasogel by neilmed. You spray once in each nostril and it unclogs your nose as well as keeps it moisturized so your nose doesn't get itchy from being dry.
Pretty good so far! Just had a squirt lol

J.M.
05-23-2014, 12:46 PM
I use to take claritin and reactine, now I use this nasal spray my doctor prescribed me forgot what it's called :banghead:

95EG6P
05-23-2014, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by J.M.
I use to take claritin and reactine, now I use this nasal spray my doctor prescribed me forgot what it's called :banghead:
:werd: thats what i got to do as well

sabad66
05-23-2014, 01:24 PM
Reactine extra strength works pretty decent for me.

I have a neti-pot too but haven't used it in a while... will have to start again

Nitron88
05-23-2014, 01:53 PM
Never tried the neti but sounds terrifying!

This guy swears by a spoonful of oil everyday and places his nostrils to the camera to show his full nasal clearance for breathing :rofl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Orwh4NpgG2o

woodywoodford
05-23-2014, 02:13 PM
I've been hit by it REAL bad this year, my eyes have been brutally dry virtually every night for the last two weeks. Like they look like cherries when I wake up, and more than once woke me up in the middle of the night. I finally got prescribed some corticosteroid nasal spray that has helped a lot but still not perfect.

blitz
05-23-2014, 03:25 PM
Pick up the squeeze bottle Neti pot, way easier and faster than the gravity based one that looks like a little teapot.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_--qj8DnQu0E/S8XkHVxCntI/AAAAAAAAAX4/ZzB0ncwZW5A/s1600/facebook_cf.jpg

jdmakkord
05-23-2014, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by blitz
Pick up the squeeze bottle Neti pot, way easier and faster than the gravity based one that looks like a little teapot.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_--qj8DnQu0E/S8XkHVxCntI/AAAAAAAAAX4/ZzB0ncwZW5A/s1600/facebook_cf.jpg

I use the battery powered sinugator. Much better results with that one.

supe
05-23-2014, 03:47 PM
Wow, I get hit every year as well and mine are pretty bad. So far this year nothing and I did yard work last weekend too. What I'm trying is eating as much local honey as possible. I have honey every day.

The theory is the bees make honey from pollen, so if you ingest it in small amounts it builds up your immune system. I'll come back to this thread for results later in the season.

Cos
05-25-2014, 07:50 PM

Ven
05-25-2014, 08:19 PM
I started my allergy pills about two months ago. What a difference. I used to play catch up and just take pills when I was affected, which never really worked well. Preloading has been the ticket for me this year.

Tik-Tok
05-25-2014, 08:30 PM
This year I've found inhaling a lot of drywall dust has really stopped any pollen from getting in my sinus's and creating allergies.

Not that I recommend it, I'm just saying it's working for me :rofl:

Cooked Rice
05-25-2014, 09:16 PM
Went to bed with the windows open Friday night, woke up Saturday with waterfall nose. I took 2 loratadine's yesterday and within an hour I felt super drowsy and had to take a nap right away, then felt groggy the rest of the evening. Supposedly it's suppose to be non-drowsy, but I guess there are exceptions. Today the symptoms are really starting to kick my ass, I forgot I could use sinus rinse for allergies, so I'll give it a go tonight.

fiveowed
05-25-2014, 10:15 PM
ephedrine works wonders for me, its a main ingredient in most allergy pills and is a eight the cost. can buy it at gnc or popeyes

woodywoodford
05-27-2014, 11:35 AM
^^ how much ephedrine are you taking?

Last couple nights I've slept with the window closed (but patio door open) and put the houseplants on the balcony, HUGE difference.

Cooked Rice
05-27-2014, 04:55 PM
My symptoms got to the point where I thought I was coming down with a sinus infection or cold, so went to the doctors yesterday and was told it was most likely allergies. I've never had allergy symptoms to this extreme. Was prescribed some cortisteroid nasal spray, can't say it really does much, $40 but covered under a drug plan. I took some Tylenol Cold and it has helped a ton.

msommers
04-23-2015, 05:59 PM
Anyone's allergies back up again? I've been sneezing like crazy for the last couple days now. Bought an 84 pack of extra strength Reactine :rofl:

Nitron88
04-23-2015, 11:52 PM
Just stuffy nose nothing too chaotic.

nismodrifter
04-24-2015, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Ven
I started my allergy pills about two months ago. What a difference. I used to play catch up and just take pills when I was affected, which never really worked well. Preloading has been the ticket for me this year.

Thats great to hear. For my patients with documented seasonal allergies this is the route I prefer and has worked wonders.

To tackle allergic rhinigitis I usually begin daily anti-histamine a month or two prior to known onset of symptoms, have nasal corticosteroids on hand (ie: avamys), and if you have itching of the eyes have an ophthalmologic drop (ie: pataday drops) on hand (prescribed by your family doc).

ExtraSlow
04-24-2015, 08:20 AM
Has anyone had budesonide prescribed to be mixed into the nasal rinse?

HomespunLobster
04-24-2015, 08:32 AM
Garlic capsule in the morning (real garlic, not the liquid extract). Toast with honey/tea with honey/anything with honey.
Kills most of my symptoms. If it's a bad pollen week maybe another capsule of garlic at lunch.

azian.advanced
04-24-2015, 08:35 PM
when it hits me, it hits me hard. luckily it hasn't hit me yet this year.

but what i do is while getting into bed at night, take:
-claritin nasal spray
-claritin 24-hr tablet + glass of water
-visine allergy eye drops, and don't open your eyes until the next morning.
-sleep facing up to allow the nasal spray to work its magic deep in the nasal cavity, and the eye drops to fully contour the eye socket to cure the wateriness/redness/itchiness.

works everytime. :)

ExtraSlow
04-26-2015, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Has anyone had budesonide prescribed to be mixed into the nasal rinse?
Brand name, Pulmicort.

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
05-07-2015, 12:57 AM
Not sure if anyone has tried this but I'm on week seven of immnotherapy for seasonal allergies. I should have been reacting down in palm springs but I was fine. I'm getting needles once a week for a year, so hopefully this fixes me for life.

403ep3
05-07-2015, 07:46 AM
Damn I've been getting it for the past week or so on the train. Sniffly, sneezy, and running nose :banghead:

RX_EVOLV
05-07-2015, 11:42 AM
I have pretty bad spring allergies. Usually I find myself sneezing myself awake by 6am in the morning, and would keep sneezing up for at least a couple hours. Make for some shitty mornings.

I bought one of these in the States last week and started using it.

https://www.flonase.com/about/

They seem to work well, although I can only apply it at night time, otherwise I would spray it in the morning, just to sneeze it right back out again.

Worth giving it a shot.

Otherwise I only use Claritine. Reactine doesn't do anything for me.