PDA

View Full Version : BMW M235i M Performance Edition

killramos
05-23-2014, 12:08 PM
Well FFS apparently there is already a special edition of the M235i out...

Cross post from 2 addicts.

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=989387

Basically an aero kit and piano black trim. Pretty cool though. 50 for Canada.

colinxx235
05-23-2014, 12:17 PM
M235i with Xdrive @ 63K. hello next car me thinks...

can't find a good 13+ S5 in color combo at all, now for the waiting game!

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-23-2014, 12:28 PM
Still waiting for that M2 (that I'll never afford)

benyl
05-23-2014, 12:29 PM
M235 M Performance edition? How many Ms do they need? haha

HiTempguy1
05-23-2014, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by colinxx235
M235i with Xdrive @ 63K. hello next car me thinks...

can't find a good 13+ S5 in color combo at all, now for the waiting game!

You can get a M235i with xdrive??!

Mother of god :drool:

Sugarphreak
05-23-2014, 12:47 PM

colinxx235
05-23-2014, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

You can get a M235i with xdrive??!

Mother of god :drool:

This is from the PDF through the link, I was browsing then :eek: GG

rage2
05-23-2014, 02:21 PM
Leave it to BMW to make the S3 and CLA45 seem like a bargain. :rofl:

realazy
05-23-2014, 02:21 PM
mmm.... Laguna Seca Blue 335. That's not bad at $65,900

lilmira
05-23-2014, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Haha no shit, not even "all in" price.

killramos
05-23-2014, 02:28 PM

To be fair that's fully loaded. My loaded one came to near that price.

colinxx235
05-23-2014, 02:41 PM
Yah that is the loaded price, I wouldn't make too much fun.

Considering Benz already has the ClA25 loaded at 50K online. And Audi is showing 51K for an A3 loaded. So I'm guessing the 45/S will both be in an ugly range.

So much for the teaser starting prices they all love to show lol

InRich
05-23-2014, 04:58 PM

At the end of the day, BMW's are better cars, so... :bigpimp:

rage2
05-23-2014, 05:07 PM
At the end of the day, this isn't even a real M car. :poosie:

gpomp
05-23-2014, 05:08 PM
At the end of the day, this isn't even a real M car. :poosie: It's ok as long as other people think it is.

rage2
05-23-2014, 05:20 PM
That wasn't my point, but sure haha. What I meant was it's not going to handle like the M2, nor have more power than a standard 235.

Redlined_8000
05-23-2014, 05:46 PM
In all honesty I think a 6sp M235xi is a more appealing choice than the CLA45.

rage2
05-23-2014, 05:53 PM
Why would you sap the fun out of the 235 by getting AWD? The reason why it's beating the audi and mercs is because it's RWD and more fun to toss around. Getting the xdrive version just kills the only thing good about the 235.

If awd is a priority, the cheaper S3 or the faster CLA45 would be a better buy.

Redlyne_mr2
05-23-2014, 05:54 PM
I sold quite a few of the 335xi m performance when they were out. They're a "bargain" for someone looking for this type of vehicle. The aero kit and wheels make a huge difference on how the car looks.

rage2
05-23-2014, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
I sold quite a few of the 335xi m performance when they were out. They're a "bargain" for someone looking for this type of vehicle. The aero kit and wheels make a huge difference on how the car looks.
Exactly. At $2600 more it's a steal, and way more car than the 235. I'll bet with residuals and interest rates worked into the equation, the 335 will be cheaper.

vtec4life
05-23-2014, 06:59 PM
Why would you sap the fun out of the 235 by getting AWD? The reason why it's beating the audi and mercs is because it's RWD and more fun to toss around. Getting the xdrive version just kills the only thing good about the 235.

If awd is a priority, the cheaper S3 or the faster CLA45 would be a better buy.

The S3 is so boring, how could you even recommend buying it over a 235 x-drive even if it is cheaper. Cheaper doesn't justify buying an S3.

Every single person that I have taken for a ride in the 235 has been blown away. Including two people that cancelled their CLA45 orders.

If you haven't driven one do it. It will put a big smile on your face.

rage2
05-23-2014, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by vtec4life
The S3 is so boring, how could you even recommend buying it over a 235 x-drive even if it is cheaper. Cheaper doesn't justify buying an S3.

Every single person that I have taken for a ride in the 235 has been blown away. Including two people that cancelled their CLA45 orders.

I've driven a 135, and assuming the 235 is a step up from that, as I haven't had a chance to try one yet. If you read my post, I'm asking why you would get the xdrive version of the 235, as the big plus is the fun of RWD. Unless it's a new magic AWD system, it's going to be the same as the 335 RWD vs xdrive, which saps the fun out of the car, putting it on the same level as a S3, but much more expensive.

Have you driven the S3 to say that it's boring?

beyond_ban
05-23-2014, 08:15 PM
No LSD included? That's disappointing, or is there and I just missed it?

benyl
05-23-2014, 08:17 PM
Even with RWD, the trouble with these cars is the open diff. The e-diff just eats brakes and doesn't really make up for the lack of an LSD.

They are of course well balanced, but getting the rear out takes effort.

Xtrema
05-24-2014, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by vtec4life

Put me in the camp of xdrive is unnecessary.

S3 and CLA45 need AWD because they improve upon a FWD platform. 235 is on a great RWD platform from scratch, xdrive adds weight and make it worse.

rage2
05-24-2014, 09:35 AM
LSD is a M Performance catalog option. It's not available on the web build, but I'm pretty sure it's available in Canada.

killramos
05-24-2014, 03:30 PM
LSD is a M Performance catalog option. It's not available on the web build, but I'm pretty sure it's available in Canada.

It is available but they are scarce right now. I have been hounding Colin relentlessly to get one in for me.

If you want to drive an M235i Rage hit me up. Break in is done now. :burnout:

rage2
05-24-2014, 04:54 PM
Just finished ripping around in a M235, and I was pretty dead on with what I was expecting, it's a small step up from the 135.

The car has tons of grip around corners, mainly because it's shod with Michelin PSS's. I run these tires on all my cars in the summer, and it really ups the level of grip compared to anything else short of an R compound tire. The braking is awesome, and you really need to be doing something really silly on the street to break traction. The balance is typical BMW. A smidge of very light understeer everywhere, safe, but really well balanced. Didn't take long to get used to how the car reacts under braking, throttle, transitions.

The car desperately needs LSD. It's not available as a factory option, you have to order it from the M Performance parts catalog, so I'm not sure how warranty works if you get one. As mentioned, it's not easy to break loose in the dry, and when you do, it gets sloppy because of the open diff. I got a bit of lift oversteer on a downhill corner, but once you power back on to catch it, it just falls right back in line. You can initiate power oversteer in 1st or 2nd, but it just slides a little, then again falls right back in line. In the wet, you can swing the tail out quite a bit to hold a drift, but it's sloppy, and not easy. A LSD would magically fix all of this and make the car 100000x better.

The steering is an interesting one. It felt a little tighter than the 135 from what I remember, and felt like it had much better feedback. But as I drove around more, the feedback felt fake to me. You feel the vibrations in the steering wheel on a normal road, but hit bumps, or other road imperfections, and it doesn't really communicate back to the steering wheel. It almost felt like they put a xbox controller vibration unit in there to simulate road feel. Very very odd.

The engine noise sounded pretty good, lots of intake noise, but then I realized that it was the fake noise made by the sound system. At 200, the intake noise is LOUD, there is no way that the engine is doing that naturally. In my BS, a naturally loud car, I hear wind noise more than engine noise. In the 235, that intake noise is cranked to 11 and you barely hear wind or road noise.

So ya, if you're looking for a RWD car in this segment, there is no competition, the 235 is on it's own. It's a really fun car to toss around, but really need a LSD for when you want to overdrive the car a little and have some fun. The LSD would truly make this car pretty sweet in the summers. Haven't driven the xdrive (is it even out yet?), but if you're going to ruin the RWD balance of this car, which really is it's greatest asset, get the cheaper S3, or the faster CLA45.

Interestingly enough, when crunching the numbers, I thought this car would be cheaper. I spec'd it out (without LSD), and it came to $58.5K, which is actually $1000 more than the CLA45 that I spec'd out. The difference between the 2 was leather, which came standard on the M235i, but a $2500 option on the CLA45 which I didn't opt for. Add that, and the CLA45 is only $1500 more, but with a LOT more performance. The lease rates are also kinda crappy. The 3 series was amazing for leases, sweet spot for interest rate and residual., The 235, not so much, with a 3 year residual rate of only 50%. :eek: The CLA45 has a residual of 60% after 3 years with the same interest rate, so the CLA is significantly cheaper if you are a leaser.

Anyone know when the S3's are out?

lilmira
05-24-2014, 08:54 PM

August last I heard. No super sport seats till Dec delivery because they haven't gotten them certified or some dumb excuse. :banghead:

killramos
05-24-2014, 09:44 PM
Just finished ripping around in a M235, and I was pretty dead on with what I was expecting, it's a small step up from the 135.

The car has tons of grip around corners, mainly because it's shod with Michelin PSS's. I run these tires on all my cars in the summer, and it really ups the level of grip compared to anything else short of an R compound tire. The braking is awesome, and you really need to be doing something really silly on the street to break traction. The balance is typical BMW. A smidge of very light understeer everywhere, safe, but really well balanced. Didn't take long to get used to how the car reacts under braking, throttle, transitions.

The car desperately needs LSD. It's not available as a factory option, you have to order it from the M Performance parts catalog, so I'm not sure how warranty works if you get one. As mentioned, it's not easy to break loose in the dry, and when you do, it gets sloppy because of the open diff. I got a bit of lift oversteer on a downhill corner, but once you power back on to catch it, it just falls right back in line. You can initiate power oversteer in 1st or 2nd, but it just slides a little, then again falls right back in line. In the wet, you can swing the tail out quite a bit to hold a drift, but it's sloppy, and not easy. A LSD would magically fix all of this and make the car 100000x better.

The steering is an interesting one. It felt a little tighter than the 135 from what I remember, and felt like it had much better feedback. But as I drove around more, the feedback felt fake to me. You feel the vibrations in the steering wheel on a normal road, but hit bumps, or other road imperfections, and it doesn't really communicate back to the steering wheel. It almost felt like they put a xbox controller vibration unit in there to simulate road feel. Very very odd.

The engine noise sounded pretty good, lots of intake noise, but then I realized that it was the fake noise made by the sound system. At 200, the intake noise is LOUD, there is no way that the engine is doing that naturally. In my BS, a naturally loud car, I hear wind noise more than engine noise. In the 235, that intake noise is cranked to 11 and you barely hear wind or road noise.

So ya, if you're looking for a RWD car in this segment, there is no competition, the 235 is on it's own. It's a really fun car to toss around, but really need a LSD for when you want to overdrive the car a little and have some fun. The LSD would truly make this car pretty sweet in the summers. Haven't driven the xdrive (is it even out yet?), but if you're going to ruin the RWD balance of this car, which really is it's greatest asset, get the cheaper S3, or the faster CLA45.

Couldn't agree more with the dynamics review. Love the car so far. Tbh it wasn't at all about the price for me. I have always wanted a BMW and honestly I sealed the deal on the car 2 hours after my test drive.

I am excited for the LSD and am justifying it as this is my daily and will help tons in the winter. If it ever gets installed I'll let you guys know.

Fuji
05-24-2014, 09:52 PM

Interestingly enough, when crunching the numbers, I thought this car would be cheaper. I spec'd it out (without LSD), and it came to $58.5K, which is actually $1000 more than the CLA45 that I spec'd out. The difference between the 2 was leather, which came standard on the M235i, but a $2500 option on the CLA45 which I didn't opt for. Add that, and the CLA45 is only $1500 more, but with a LOT more performance. The lease rates are also kinda crappy. The 3 series was amazing for leases, sweet spot for interest rate and residual., The 235, not so much, with a 3 year residual rate of only 50%. :eek: The CLA45 has a residual of 60% after 3 years with the same interest rate, so the CLA is significantly cheaper if you are a leaser.

I had one a while back and I'd agree with you on all points I found that the car had tons of grip as well and well mannered. Way more than anticipated, as you stated because of the PSS.

I'm 100% sure they pump in engine noise to the cabin. I was doing some tests and found it was really quiet from the outside.

An interesting note I thought it was an amazing daily driver, but for some reason I was expecting more oversteer. I was really pushing it to get that rear out and it just didn't want to do it if it could help it.

killramos
05-24-2014, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Fuji

I had one a while back and I'd agree with you on all points I found that the car had tons of grip as well and well mannered. Way more than anticipated, as you stated because of the PSS.

I'm 100% sure they pump in engine noise to the cabin. I was doing some tests and found it was really quiet from the outside.

An interesting note I thought it was an amazing daily driver, but for some reason I was expecting more oversteer. I was really pushing it to get that rear out and it just didn't want to do it if it could help it.

Active sound is definitely a feature.

The exhaust is pretty good for a boosted car though don't plenty of revving from outside with nice pops etc from the exhaust.

I do find the nannies a bit annoying but I need to learn to work with them. It's the most intrusive car I have ever driven.

rage2
05-24-2014, 11:10 PM
Hold down the DSC button. First thing I did when I got into the car haha.

Keep us posted on LSD. I honestly think that will absolutely transform the car and make it even better.

redline
05-25-2014, 08:25 AM
There are instructions on bimmerpost to get rid of that ghey active sound feature if you want .

killramos
05-25-2014, 08:59 AM
Hold down the DSC button. First thing I did when I got into the car haha.

Keep us posted on LSD. I honestly think that will absolutely transform the car and make it even better.

The problem with just holding the dsc button is that aside from traction and stability control it keeps the car in comfort mode for suspension throttle and steering response. Ideally what I want is sport plus with no traction.

I agree about the LSD. It's the last box that I want to tick. Should have it installed within the month if bmw can get their act together. You can already order it online but I need to jump through the hoops to keep my warranty. I'm tempted to order one at our place in Phoenix and bring it up.

Sugarphreak
05-25-2014, 08:44 PM

rage2
05-25-2014, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
I guess the biggest question is why would anybody buy a M235i M car for this kind of price when we know the M2 is right around the corner?
It bridges the gap between the 235 and the upcoming M2. Not everyone can afford the top model, so this brings in more potential revenue from buyers that can afford a little more than a base 235. Same goes for the 435 M Performance, bridges the gap between 435 and M4. Even Mercedes is going this route with a C450 AMG Sport. :nut:

Jeff TYPE R
05-25-2014, 11:56 PM
No such thing as a base 235. There's a 228 though.

I'm surprised to see all the hate for an xdrive M235i though. Has everyone already forgotten about winter? IMO, any BMW, xdrive or not, has much more driving feel than a comparable Audi or Merc. My experience anyway.

benyl
05-26-2014, 12:29 AM
The M235 is the base 235.

This thread is about the M235 M Performance edition

The video game feeling in the steering that rage2 is talking about is due to the electric power steering. All cars will have it soon due to CAFE rules.

rage2
05-26-2014, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
IMO, any BMW, xdrive or not, has much more driving feel than a comparable Audi or Merc. My experience anyway.
Have you driven a 335 xdrive? I'd actually argue that the S4 w/sport diff offers much better driving feel. I've driven several BMW xdrive cars, 335, 550, X6, and they're all the same. It's a great system, if you're comparing to the big non AMG Mercs like my CLS 550, or a C class 4matic. Step back and look at the big picture, it's hardly a sporty system, and doesn't bode well for the 235, which at the end of the day, is marketed as a sports car. Hell, just look at all the damn M emblems on the thing, it's riced out from the factory haha.

Of course, that's all guesswork at this stage, because the 235 xdrive isn't even out yet. Like I said earlier...

Unless it's a new magic AWD system, it's going to be the same as the 335 RWD vs xdrive, which saps the fun out of the car, putting it on the same level as a S3, but much more expensive.

Originally posted by benyl
The video game feeling in the steering that rage2 is talking about is due to the electric power steering. All cars will have it soon due to CAFE rules.
After driving the car and talking about the car, I googled it up and figured it out. How power steering could have such an effect is beyond me. :dunno:

What's interesting is that half the people out there love the EPS, and the other half hate it. That to me says 1/2 the BMW drivers out there don't know shit about driving dynamics. :rofl:

colinxx235
05-26-2014, 09:35 AM
No such thing as a base 235. There's a 228 though.

I'm surprised to see all the hate for an xdrive M235i though. Has everyone already forgotten about winter? IMO, any BMW, xdrive or not, has much more driving feel than a comparable Audi or Merc. My experience anyway.

I'm with rage on that rebuttal as well... I own an 11 S4 stasis chip with sport diff and it has wayyyy better feel than the 335xi did.

I enjoyed both cars but in terms of feel when I was checking out it was M3 > 335is > S4 > 335xi

rage2
05-26-2014, 09:59 AM
I'm with rage on that rebuttal as well... I own an 11 S4 stasis chip with sport diff and it has wayyyy better feel than the 335xi did.
That's because I actually drive the cars, and not just read magazine comparos. ;)

schocker
05-26-2014, 10:02 AM

That's because I actually drive the cars, and not just read magazine comparos. ;)
Maybe you should start doing video reviews like everyone's favorite Chris Harris :burnout:

Too bad stasis is no longer though....

Xtrema
05-26-2014, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by schocker
Too bad stasis is no longer though....

Go APR then. All knew that warranty is too good to be true anyway.

Jeff TYPE R
05-26-2014, 11:11 PM

Have you driven a 335 xdrive? I'd actually argue that the S4 w/sport diff offers much better driving feel.

Let's see:

I've owned two E90 335 X-drives, wrote off the last one a couple months ago.

I currently own a 135i.

I bought a B8 S4 with Sport diff two weeks ago.

Enough?

Ok, previously I owned a car with EPS for 3 years, an S2000.

And I also drove a C300 4Matic for a couple weeks, which was...the worst.

...and I actually OWN the cars. Emphasis on OWNED. :poosie:

rage2
05-26-2014, 11:19 PM
Let's see:

I've owned two E90 335 X-drives, wrote off the last one a couple months ago.

I currently own a 135i.

I bought a B8 S4 with Sport diff two weeks ago.

Enough?

Ok, previously I owned a car with EPS for 3 years, an S2000.

And I also drove a C300 4Matic for a couple weeks, which was...the worst.

...and I actually OWN the cars. Emphasis on OWNED. :poosie:

What's interesting is that half the people out there love the EPS, and the other half hate it. That to me says 1/2 the BMW drivers out there don't know shit about driving dynamics. :rofl:
:rofl:

Jeff TYPE R
05-26-2014, 11:19 PM
In terms of being fun to drive, I'd probably put the E90 335 w/ x drive at the top, because it has nearly identical feel as the 135, except that it can put down the power of a tuned N54. The 135 is fun, but it doesn't put down the power properly, and annoys me that all I seem to do is burn the rear Michelin PSS daily driving. The S4 has fairly artificially heavy steering, and is a heavy boat. The S2k, having EPS, somehow still felt excellent, like a BMW. :)

I haven't driven the M235 though.

Jeff TYPE R
05-26-2014, 11:23 PM
Hey, does the BS still use recirculating ball steering? I know how MB is renowned for driving dynamics rather than comfort!

Mibz
05-26-2014, 11:36 PM
In terms of being fun to drive, I'd probably put the E90 335 w/ x drive at the top, because it has nearly identical feel as the 135, except that it can put down the power of a tuned N54. The 135 is fun, but it doesn't put down the power properly, and annoys me that all I seem to do is burn the rear Michelin PSS daily driving. The S4 has fairly artificially heavy steering, and is a heavy boat. The S2k, having EPS, somehow still felt excellent, like a BMW. :)

THE IMPORTANT THINGS IN LIFE:
N/A, 8000RPM REDLINE, CLOSE RATIO MANUAL, RWD, LSD

Jeff TYPE R
05-26-2014, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Nowadays, it's boost, AWD, and rain sensing wipers haha.

rage2
05-27-2014, 09:06 AM
In terms of being fun to drive, I'd probably put the E90 335 w/ x drive at the top, because it has nearly identical feel as the 135, except that it can put down the power of a tuned N54. The 135 is fun, but it doesn't put down the power properly, and annoys me that all I seem to do is burn the rear Michelin PSS daily driving.
I get it, you value straight line speed as fun, I value handling as fun. Nobody's really wrong here.

The S2k, having EPS, somehow still felt excellent, like a BMW. :)

Hey, does the BS still use recirculating ball steering? I know how MB is renowned for driving dynamics rather than comfort!
Having EPS doesn't automatically mean it's a bad thing, nor does recirculating ball steering means it feels like crap either. Just like how the S4 has magnetic suspension, and to you it still feels like "a heavy boat".

All I'm saying is that BMW's implementation of EPS in the 235 isn't great. If you read my M235 drive post, you'll see that I couldn't figure out why the steering felt the way it did, and I eventually googled it and figured it out. I don't care about specs, marketing, or whatever, I drive a car, and I'll tell it like it is.

colinxx235
05-27-2014, 09:07 AM

You state N54 so I'm going to assume 335xi coupe...? If so curb weight is 3825 lbs

B8 S4 is 3847 lbs

Definitely a heavy ass boat compared to the 335.... :rolleyes:

GTS Jeff
05-27-2014, 11:27 AM

I get it, you value straight line speed as fun, I value handling as fun. Nobody's really wrong here.

Having EPS doesn't automatically mean it's a bad thing, nor does recirculating ball steering means it feels like crap either. Just like how the S4 has magnetic suspension, and to you it still feels like "a heavy boat".

All I'm saying is that BMW's implementation of EPS in the 235 isn't great. If you read my M235 drive post, you'll see that I couldn't figure out why the steering felt the way it did, and I eventually googled it and figured it out. I don't care about specs, marketing, or whatever, I drive a car, and I'll tell it like it is.

I can see how this argument started. I haven't driven the M235, so I don't know what it feels like at all. Just saying that from the BMWs, Audis, and Mercs, I've owned or driven, BMW usually wins the steering feel game, and I'm surprised to see the hate for the M235. I won't be trying an M235 personally until the X-drive version comes out. Maybe I'll hate it too. :D

You state N54 so I'm going to assume 335xi coupe...? If so curb weight is 3825 lbs

B8 S4 is 3847 lbs

Definitely a heavy ass boat compared to the 335.... :rolleyes: I don't memorize curb weights, but I'm referring to how cars that I've owned feel. E90s have a surprisingly small car feel, and B8s don't really. Why are you upset about this?

colinxx235
05-27-2014, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

I don't memorize curb weights, but I'm referring to how cars that I've owned feel. E90s have a surprisingly small car feel, and B8s don't really. Why are you upset about this?

Not upset over anything, only reason I know the curb weights is I checked out all the vehicles in that range before I settled on the S4. Just one of the few common spec points :dunno:

I do know what you mean about the smaller feel especially with the coupe. Also depends if you have the S4 in dynamic mode or not, I find that puts it closer to feel.

In the end I think they are all great cars. If I had two vehicles or wanted to run a rwd in winter it would be a M3/335is/335i hands down. But Calgary and 1 car, the S4/S5 gets my nod of preference

Kg810
05-27-2014, 12:49 PM
colinxx235, E90 is sedan, not coupe.

colinxx235
05-27-2014, 01:23 PM
I'm aware, he said E90s so I took it as any of the E90/92/93

Not to mention this thread has bounced all over 1/2/3/4 series, rwd/awd, coupe/sedan. Don't feel like keeping track too much.

Everyone will have their own preference of make, door count and wheel drive. I just heavily disagreed on the E90s x-drive having a greater feel vs the sport diff quattro :dunno:

I loved the 335is/M3 all over, just didn't want to drive in winter or switch to a POS winter beater simply

gpomp
05-27-2014, 01:34 PM

I can see how this argument started. I haven't driven the M235, so I don't know what it feels like at all. Just saying that from the BMWs, Audis, and Mercs, I've owned or driven, BMW usually wins the steering feel game, and I'm surprised to see the hate for the M235. I won't be trying an M235 personally until the X-drive version comes out. Maybe I'll hate it too. :D The electric steering in the M235 feels really weird. It's definitely does not feel the same as the hydraulic setups in the E80/E90 cars. I think adding AWD to the 235 will make it even worse.

rage2
05-27-2014, 02:21 PM
I can see how this argument started. I haven't driven the M235, so I don't know what it feels like at all. Just saying that from the BMWs, Audis, and Mercs, I've owned or driven, BMW usually wins the steering feel game, and I'm surprised to see the hate for the M235.
You're confusing 2 issues here. Driving dynamics, and steering feel (the EPS sidetrack). I just took exception to this comment you made, note the underline:

There's no hate for the M235i. In fact, if you don't need/want AWD, it's more fun than a CLA45, and this is coming from a AMG fanboy. Like I said, it's in a class of it's own with RWD, there is nobody else in the luxury segment that offers a combination of RWD, luxury, and fun to drive factor (although we disagree on what's considered fun).

What I have a problem with is slapping xdrive AWD on it, because xdrive totally kills the driving dynamics of the car. Ruin the only thing going for the M235, and you might as well get a S3 for cheaper, or a CLA45 which is faster and most likely more fun based on my experiences with xdrive on other BMW models.

benyl
05-27-2014, 02:34 PM
BMW isn't going to re-invent their X drive system for the M235. If anything they would do it with the 435 or if the M division decides that AWD is the future and comes out with a performance Xdrive.

Xdrive is a basic system that is meant to increase traction when traction is lost.

You aren't going to be pulling mad drifts like you can in an Audi R8 or the video game dynamics of the GTR.

Hell, it is easier to get the back end out on my E63 4Matic than it is a BMW with Xdrive.

killramos
05-27-2014, 02:57 PM
The whole point of this is that xdrive adds more resistance in the drivetrain where the M235i's strength is it's (relative) simplicity.

If I remember correctly xdrive is also a fwd biased system, therefore what you are really doing is turning the car into fwd which is inferior to rwd in the sense of diving dynamics. It's like a bmw hatchback, not their style. The only time xdrive is really Awd is at the limit or for most of us. In the snow.

If you want a small car with bmw ok the bonnet and is great in the snow then get the 228 not the M perf.

You could always look into the 2 series active tourer? :barf:

faiz999
05-27-2014, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by benyl
BMW isn't going to re-invent their X drive system for the M235. If anything they would do it with the 435 or if the M division decides that AWD is the future and comes out with a performance Xdrive.

Xdrive is a basic system that is meant to increase traction when traction is lost.

You aren't going to be pulling mad drifts like you can in an Audi R8 or the video game dynamics of the GTR.

Hell, it is easier to get the back end out on my E63 4Matic than it is a BMW with Xdrive.

i thought the AMGs were still rwd only?

GTS Jeff
05-27-2014, 03:02 PM

You're confusing 2 issues here. Driving dynamics, and steering feel (the EPS sidetrack). I just took exception to this comment you made, note the underline:

There's no hate for the M235i. In fact, if you don't need/want AWD, it's more fun than a CLA45, and this is coming from a AMG fanboy. Like I said, it's in a class of it's own with RWD, there is nobody else in the luxury segment that offers a combination of RWD, luxury, and fun to drive factor (although we disagree on what's considered fun).

What I have a problem with is slapping xdrive AWD on it, because xdrive totally kills the driving dynamics of the car. Ruin the only thing going for the M235, and you might as well get a S3 for cheaper, or a CLA45 which is faster and most likely more fun based on my experiences with xdrive on other BMW models. I don't know that we disagree on what's fun. I think we both enjoy driving like total dicks on the road...

But we will see when it comes out. A small, German, turbo, AWD car ticks many boxes, and it'll be cool to see M235 X drive vs. S3 vs CLA45.

killramos
05-27-2014, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by faiz999

The E based ones now have Awd available. Can't remember if it is only rwd now I am sure Rage can comment on that.

benyl
05-27-2014, 03:18 PM

For 2014, the E63, CLS63, S63, CLA45 and GLA45 are 4Matic.

Rumour is the next SL63 will also be 4Matic.

rage2
05-27-2014, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by killramos
If I remember correctly xdrive is also a fwd biased system, therefore what you are really doing is turning the car into fwd which is inferior to rwd in the sense of diving dynamics.
I don't think that's how it works, still a RWD based AWD system. All I know is, it sucks. The 335 xdrive drives like a completely different car than the 335 RWD.

edit - forgot this is a BMW thread not an AMG thread lol.

faiz999
05-27-2014, 03:35 PM
i think im going to go for a test drive soon in the new m235. im interested to see what all the fuss is about.

i read the 8 speed is a SCT instead of a DCT, i wonder what the reasoning behind that is.

also, didnt realize they released the AWD AMGs already. thought it was for 2015s. id love to drive the e63 with 500+ hp, awd and every luxury item you can fit into a car.

benyl
05-27-2014, 03:39 PM
The M235i has the ZF 8 Speed Auto. There is no clutch.

killramos
05-27-2014, 03:39 PM
i think im going to go for a test drive soon in the new m235. im interested to see what all the fuss is about.

i read the 8 speed is a SCT instead of a DCT, i wonder what the reasoning behind that is.

also, didnt realize they released the AWD AMGs already. thought it was for 2015s. id love to drive the e63 with 500+ hp, awd and every luxury item you can fit into a car.

Actually it's a ZCT or (zero clutch transmisson) the m235i is equipped with an automatic lol. Like a slush box.

The reason is cost and weight savings. Honesty it's a great tranny and I love it. This coming from someone who spent the last 4 days training myself to use an smg3 :rolleyes:

The AMG's are 2015 from what I know btw. A buddy of mine's is scheduled to arrive within a few weeks.

Edit: damn Benyl beat me to it

faiz999
05-27-2014, 03:45 PM
interesting. now im going to have to research this zero clutch shit.

killramos
05-27-2014, 03:49 PM

Seriously?

rage2
05-27-2014, 03:51 PM

I have a SCT, and it's an automatic haha.

Xtrema
05-27-2014, 04:01 PM

Not gonna lie, the whole ZCT got me for a sec.

faiz999
05-27-2014, 04:19 PM
ok......i feel like i just got trolled here lol

im just gonna slowly exit stage left

killramos
05-27-2014, 05:42 PM
ok......i feel like i just got trolled here lol

im just gonna slowly exit stage left

Lol sorry. I was really openly trying to make it clear that I was joking.

Welcome to Beyond, most people won't give you as much of a chance as I did.

rage2
07-10-2015, 01:46 PM
bump. Drove killramos' M235i today with the M performance diff, night and day difference out of corners. Must have option, should have come standard.

killramos
07-20-2015, 03:48 PM
:thumbsup:

Didn't even see this post, glad you enjoyed it.

I get a lot of flack on the 2 series forums for installing the diff as everyone there is convinced it's smoke and mirrors. I like to respectfully disagree

:burnout:

rage2
07-20-2015, 04:52 PM
Sounds like typical BMW owners haha.

killramos
07-22-2015, 01:28 PM
Just found this interesting back to back test with a 1M and a M235i dyno

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3783/19894718946_41fc96bd3f_b.jpg

So basically the N55 in the M235i tuned to be damn near identical to the N54 in the 1M?

:D

A2VR6
07-22-2015, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by killramos

So basically the N55 in the M235i tuned to be damn near identical to the N54 in the 1M?

:D

Nice, all you need now are the suspension bits

killramos
07-22-2015, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by A2VR6

Nice, all you need now are the suspension bits

I don't pretend they are the same. But it's interesting at how similarly the drivetrains perform for cars rated so differently (240 kW vs 250 kW official figures). I can't imagine it wasn't intentional on their part. That's M's true signature on the car, not the logo on the back.

heavyD
07-24-2015, 11:56 AM
I know it's a nice little car but damn that's a lot of money.

94boosted
07-24-2015, 01:37 PM
bump. Drove killramos' M235i today with the M performance diff, night and day difference out of corners. Must have option, should have come standard.

:werd: KRYN on here and I swapped his open diff for an LSD in his 135i and it transformed the car, very tail happy.

Darkane
07-24-2015, 01:49 PM
Cool. This would have made a neat 4 door car.

I like.

Redlyne_mr2
07-24-2015, 02:03 PM
makes me miss my 1m.. my 1m tuned was a quick car.. V8 R8 killer

KRyn
07-24-2015, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted

:werd: KRYN on here and I swapped his open diff for an LSD in his 135i and it transformed the car, very tail happy.

Car needs more rubber now.

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
makes me miss my 1m.. my 1m tuned was a quick car.. V8 R8 killer

Tuning and aftermarket support for N54 engine has come a long, long way since you owned your car. Lots of people making well over 500 hp & 500 ft/lbs at the wheels with stock turbos now. I would kill for a 1M.

94boosted
07-24-2015, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by KRyn

Car needs more rubber now.

More rubber and probably a less aggressive rear bar :rofl:

killramos
07-24-2015, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
I know it's a nice little car but damn that's a lot of money.

To be fair you get every ounce of the performance for the base price of 45k. Another 3500 for the LSD if you want it (though rumours are that bmw is now charging near 7k installed for it now).

The M Performance edition is not a good deal as it only comes completely fully loaded with every VISUAL m performance option. That means it doesn't have the upgraded M Performance brakes (which you don't need as the stock brembos are great) or the M Performance LSD which if they were going to make an M Performance version I feel those 2 items should have been non optional.