PDA

View Full Version : Deck resurfacing?

eblend
05-23-2014, 01:09 PM
So in the 3.5 years I have been living at my house, I tried a decking stain which didn't last at all, and then painted the whole thing with oil paint, and that didn't last much longer, so short of ripping the whole thing apart and using composite boards, is there any coating that I can apply that would pretty much enclose the whole thing in some soft of epoxy or something?

Any recommendations on what to do? I don't want to be painting the thing every 2 years.

ercchry
05-23-2014, 01:31 PM
behr has a new product, havent tried it but have seen their commercials recently

http://www.behr.com/consumer_ca/products/wood-stains-finishes-cleaners-and-strippers/behr-solid-color-deckover-stain

eblend
05-23-2014, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
behr has a new product, havent tried it but have seen their commercials recently

http://www.behr.com/consumer_ca/products/wood-stains-finishes-cleaners-and-strippers/behr-solid-color-deckover-stain

Seems to get shitty reviews, bummer

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/behr-premium-deckover-deep-base-343-l/830765#BVRRWidgetID

TYMSMNY
05-23-2014, 07:10 PM
Same story, looking to redo the deck as well. IMO best bet for long term investment are the composite boards. repainted parents deck every couple of years and not worth the time anymore.

theken
05-23-2014, 09:45 PM
they sell some stuff at home depot i saw recently, its like a truck bed coating but for decks, i am looking at picking some up, my deck is shot and if I can save it for another 2-3 years thats a plus

BrknFngrs
05-23-2014, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY
Same story, looking to redo the deck as well. IMO best bet for long term investment are the composite boards. repainted parents deck every couple of years and not worth the time anymore.

Came to the exact same conclusion with my mom's deck. Boarding it in composite in a few weeks.

prosh
05-24-2014, 07:33 AM
http://www.duradek.com

Seth1968
05-24-2014, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY

Count me in as well.

I built my deck last summer with pressure treated wood. I then waited one month, carefully prepared the deck surface, and then stained.

Now, the stain has come off in numerous places. Unless I can find a stain that can withstand our climate, I'll be replacing the boards with composite.

BrknFngrs
05-24-2014, 08:33 AM
Anyone have any recommendations on which specific model of composite decking is best? (look, fade resistance, strength, etc)

Trex seems to be the common name around town and I know they've been around a while but their price point seems quite a bit above other brands. Can't really tell if it's due to superior quality or if it's just a brand name premium.

blitz
05-24-2014, 09:17 AM
Have you guys been preping the deck for stain or just throwing it on? A light sanding with a medium grit sandpaper first should help the stain sink in better.

eblend
05-24-2014, 10:08 AM
How much are composite boards? I never really looked except once last week on some website i saw a price of about $50 for a 12" board....is that around where the price is normally?

project240
05-24-2014, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by blitz
Have you guys been preping the deck for stain or just throwing it on? A light sanding with a medium grit sandpaper first should help the stain sink in better.

No it won't. Sanding smoothes the wood, that's it. You could use water or a wood conditioner to help the wood accept the stain, but not going to help much. Be prepared to redo every year or two.

8 years ago I helped a buddy build a nice cedar deck, rails, pergola... He asked my opinion on stain and I suggested especially with cedar to leave it natural. He still chose to stain and every year he restains/seals and wishes he'd left it.

C_Dave45
05-24-2014, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by eblend
How much are composite boards? I never really looked except once last week on some website i saw a price of about $50 for a 12" board....is that around where the price is normally?
Composite is about 5x's the cost of PT boards

blitz
05-24-2014, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by project240

No it won't. Sanding smoothes the wood, that's it. You could use water or a wood conditioner to help the wood accept the stain, but not going to help much. Be prepared to redo every year or two.

It also removers the old stain and weather surface, and as long as it's a light pass with medium grit(60 or so) there will still be tons of pores open to absorb stain. It will also give you a much more uniform and splinter free surface than pressure washing alone.

rece
05-26-2014, 12:11 AM
I have a line in a great product I have been using for the last few years. The only thing is there are only 2 colour options - weathered cedar (grey) and natural cedar (brown/red).

For supply only $6/sq ft
For supply and install $8/sq ft (plus prep if old not removed)

cidley69
06-27-2016, 05:30 AM
Bump!

Looking to put new paint on aging deck. Like something that lasts couple seasons before it starts peeling.

Anyone know good product for painting deck boards?

asd913
06-27-2016, 09:55 AM
Use a stain, not a paint. Choose a opaque (solid) stain as it will last the longest.

revelations
06-27-2016, 10:59 AM
What type of wood?
Is it draining or does water pool in places?
Do you get tree sap ?

mix123
06-27-2016, 11:47 AM
If you're doing a deck with large flat portions I recommend doing this...

http://www.saversystems.com/how-to-resources/how-to-videos/how-to-stain-a-deck-with-50-less-time-and-effort.html

Turned out really good and was way faster.

spikerS
06-27-2016, 01:23 PM
IMO, the amount of time it takes to refinish a deck every few years, you are further ahead to replace the boards. The cost and time to pressure wash / sand the deck properly every couple of years, and then re-stain, you might as well replace.

Pressure Treated wood isn't pressure treated any more, with the exception of like 6x6 and bigger dimensional timbers. PT wood now is dipped. The chemicals rarely penetrate more than 1/4 into the wood any more, so after a few sandings, your deck loses the ability to resist mould and rot.

but in reality, all it comes down to is a higher cost once every 8-10 years, or, lower costs every 2-3 years, but in the end, it all kinda balances out.

roopi
06-27-2016, 01:33 PM
spikerS is right about this one. The stain/prep work every 2-3 years is not worth it. Replace it with composite and be done with it forever. There are deals to be had on composite. Very easy to find 15-20% off the listed prices.

spikerS
06-27-2016, 01:50 PM
just as a financial comparison for those wondering, I am using Home Depot pricing.

a 5/4"x6"x16' pressure treated (dipped) deck board is $11.14 per board.

a 16' Veranda composite board is $42 per board, so a little less than 4 times the cost.

if we assume a 10' x 16' deck, you will need 22 16'PT boards, and 20 composite boards.

so to replank a PT deck is roughly $300 with screws included, a composite deck is about $1000 with fasteners.

PT, you are going to want to sand / wash and then restain every 2-4 years, and probably put at least $300 of your time and materials into it and 5-6 hours every time. With composite, once installed, all you do is bust out your pressure washer out every spring for 20 mins and spray it down...

spikerS
06-27-2016, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by roopi
spikerS is right about this one. The stain/prep work every 2-3 years is not worth it. Replace it with composite and be done with it forever. There are deals to be had on composite. Very easy to find 15-20% off the listed prices.

to be fair, it's not "done with it".

The framing and support structure below needs attention too. Depending on conditions, the structure below the composite decking will need to be replaced along the way too, but maybe every 15-20 years.

blitz
06-27-2016, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by spikerS
The framing and support structure below needs attention too. Depending on conditions, the structure below the composite decking will need to be replaced along the way too, but maybe every 15-20 years.

Some composite boards need tighter joist spacing too, something to look into if you're replacing just your deck boards.

roopi
06-27-2016, 02:39 PM

to be fair, it's not "done with it".

15/20 yrs is 'done with it' for me. :D

spikerS
06-27-2016, 02:39 PM

Some composite boards need tighter joist spacing too, something to look into if you're replacing just your deck boards.

I just finished installing a composite deck last week. required a 1/4" spacing between planks, and the fasteners acted as a guide to get that spacing. And that is per manufacturers installation instructions.

When I do a PT deck, I pretty much sandwich them together as tight as I can because over the next few days as the boards lose their moisture, you will end up with a 3/16" to 1/4" gap between them.

spikerS
06-27-2016, 02:41 PM

15/20 yrs is 'done with it' for me. :D

:rofl: Fair enough! To most people it is too.

blitz
06-27-2016, 03:18 PM

I just finished installing a composite deck last week. required a 1/4" spacing between planks, and the fasteners acted as a guide to get that spacing. And that is per manufacturers installation instructions.

When I do a PT deck, I pretty much sandwich them together as tight as I can because over the next few days as the boards lose their moisture, you will end up with a 3/16" to 1/4" gap between them.

I meant support joist spacing, last time I checked, some require 12" to 16" OC between joists to prevent sagging.

I here you on the wet wood spacing, I build a cedar gate a few weekends ago. Sandwiched the fence boards together because they were soaking wet and they're now 3/16" apart.

spikerS
06-27-2016, 03:26 PM

I meant support joist spacing, last time I checked, some require 12" to 16" OC between joists to prevent sagging.

I here you on the wet wood spacing, I build a cedar gate a few weekends ago. Sandwiched the fence boards together because they were soaking wet and they're now 3/16" apart.

my bad, must have read that wrong. But yeah, 12" to 16" OC is code is a lot of applications, but I am now building all decks as 12" OC, regardless of the material.

cidley69
06-27-2016, 04:02 PM
I totally agree going with a no maintenance option like composite is better in long run. That's no an option for us right now, too many other things on the go, not to mention 1 month old baby and two other kids under 3!

We're just looking to slap some lipstick on this pig of a deck to get us through a season (hopefully two).

that said was hoping someone on here had good experience with a product they'd recommend.

Reading reviews can be maddening, some love products, some hate them, hard to find agreement.

was leaning towards Duckback Superdeck, then read Sherwin Williams bought the company and wrecked the recipe.....

What about Gulf Deck Revive, ever heard of or tried this one?

Anyone have a deck paint they'd recommend?

Buster
06-27-2016, 04:05 PM
I don't think it's even a financial decision. I hate the feel/look of old cedar. Whenever I go over to a friends house with cedar decking, I end up pulling slivers out of my kid's feet and hands for a day. Yuk.

Composite is so much nicer. Unless you go with whatever african exotic wood my brother did his deck in. That shit was nice.

Edit: he used Kayu.

bigboom
06-28-2016, 09:40 AM
The one negative to composite boards is how hot they get in direct sunlight. I had this decision to make a few years ago and went cedar because in the summer I like being able to walk around the yard bare footed. A composite deck would not allow you to do that.

spikerS
06-28-2016, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by bigboom
The one negative to composite boards is how hot they get in direct sunlight. I had this decision to make a few years ago and went cedar because in the summer I like being able to walk around the yard bare footed. A composite deck would not allow you to do that.

I had that same mindset, but any of the composite decking made in the last 4 years or so does not have that heat retention issues, and are now no worse than PT or cedar.

revelations
07-06-2016, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by cidley69
I totally agree going with a no maintenance option like composite is better in long run. That's no an option for us right now, too many other things on the go, not to mention 1 month old baby and two other kids under 3!

We're just looking to slap some lipstick on this pig of a deck to get us through a season (hopefully two).

that said was hoping someone on here had good experience with a product they'd recommend.

Reading reviews can be maddening, some love products, some hate them, hard to find agreement.

was leaning towards Duckback Superdeck, then read Sherwin Williams bought the company and wrecked the recipe.....

What about Gulf Deck Revive, ever heard of or tried this one?

Anyone have a deck paint they'd recommend?

I am in the same situation. We have a very small deck (sunroom will take up rest of the deck). The existing wood is still in good condition and while its PT, it needs something.

I looked into this extensively last year. If you want something more durable (eg. 5-10 years), a MARINE grade coating is what you're after. Wooden boat decks have to put up with a lot more than your deck.

PENOFIN makes some really good, but really expensive coatings - esp for PT wood. I was seeing prices for 250$+ a gallon on Amazon.ca however I couldnt find the PT specific type on amazon so if your deck isnt PT you should have options. There are also re-sellers locally as well (no PT).

blownz
07-06-2016, 10:57 AM

I had that same mindset, but any of the composite decking made in the last 4 years or so does not have that heat retention issues, and are now no worse than PT or cedar.

I think color choice makes a bigger difference. Friend of mine just did dark brown last summer and it is painful to walk on.

spikerS
07-06-2016, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by blownz

I think color choice makes a bigger difference. Friend of mine just did dark brown last summer and it is painful to walk on.

Could be. I haven't done any dark colors recently to know for sure. I am just going by the grapevine.

roopi
07-08-2016, 11:57 AM
Saw this product at Home Depot a few days ago which might work for you.

revelations
07-08-2016, 12:13 PM
^ pretty much anything BEHR will peel off in a year in our climate :dunno:

bjstare
07-08-2016, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by bigboom

Originally posted by blownz

Both my parents decks at their house are a medium-grey color of Trex and they are never hot. It's easier to walk on that than a dark wood deck that's been in the hot sun.

:dunno:

bigboom
07-11-2016, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by cjblair

Both my parents decks at their house are a medium-grey color of Trex and they are never hot. It's easier to walk on that than a dark wood deck that's been in the hot sun.

:dunno:

We had grey Trex at our last house and we couldn't walk on it bare foot in the sun. Granted, the deck was built about 8 years ago but that's been my experience with Trex.

colsankey
07-11-2016, 09:17 PM
Saw this product at Home Depot a few days ago which might work for you.

I did my deck with this last fall and used the grey smooth option, not the one with grit. It looked rather good for a few months and i was happy with it. After less than a year, its peeling badly in a number of places. To be fair some sections still look great, but overall it wasnt worth the time and money.

Work wise: I had given it a reall good stir, but aside from that, did no prep work. It was a 10 year old deck that had been given no love, and i jist wanted a few more years out of it.

Next year ill probably replace the whole thing.

SOAB
07-12-2016, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by colsankey

I did my deck with this last fall and used the grey smooth option, not the one with grit. It looked rather good for a few months and i was happy with it. After less than a year, its peeling badly in a number of places. To be fair some sections still look great, but overall it wasnt worth the time and money.

Work wise: I had given it a reall good stir, but aside from that, did no prep work. It was a 10 year old deck that had been given no love, and i jist wanted a few more years out of it.

Next year ill probably replace the whole thing.

wait, the stuff clearly states that there is prep work involved. you did none and now say that it was shit?

revelations
07-12-2016, 10:31 AM
^ it makes no difference. From reading forums, reviews on various sites (HD, Amazon, etc.) people thought they made that mistake (no prep) but then went out and bought the same shit (BEHR) again with PROPER prep and the results were the same.

Any decking here takes a huge beating from the wild weather changes we have. BEHR should not be sold in our climate.

If youre serious about deck coating, get the PENOFIN product as mentioned above (Timber Town can order I think) but its 250$ a gallon.

eblend
07-12-2016, 05:26 PM
As the original posted of this...in 2014...I will put in my 2c. I just ended up going and buying Thompson Solid stain and painting my front porch with it, and doing the rear right now as I am rebuilding my rear deck. I looked at composite boards again, but just couldn't do it, especially since I will be looking at a new place in a few years. Thompson did start to peel in high traffic areas, but elsewhere looks like new. My plan is to just throw another coat on top and be done with it, since it isn't peeling in the nooks and crannies, there is no need to paint nicely, and just cover up the areas that are worn.

When I build my new place, i will go composite for sure.