PDA

View Full Version : Useless Movers/Delivery People In Calgary

flipstah
05-24-2014, 08:13 PM
So today was effectively ruined by incompetent movers/delivery people in Calgary and put my renovation behind schedule.

I thought I'd put up something to see if people have faced the same thing I have this morning.

A few weeks back, I bought my dishwasher and range oven at Future Shop Deerfoot Meadows. My dishwasher was in stock while the range was sold out and would be delivered at a later date, which was fine. They offer appliance removal for $30/pc so I paid 90$ to get my p;d range, dishwasher, and fridge removed.

My dishwasher was delivered but I didn't disconnect the old one because I thought they would do it (my bad). I told them that they can take the fridge and range because they were unplugged but the movers insisted that they prefer to pick it up in one complete haul and to call Future Shop to reschedule.

I got my associate on the line and explained what happened, to which I scheduled a pickup today.

I got the call last night that they'll be there from 8:30-11:30AM.

I wait there this morning, with plans to pick up materials for my renovation after the appliances are gone and continue painting. Should it be breezy.

10AM past and no phone call. Then 11AM.

11:25AM and still nothing. My associate at FS gave me the moving company's number (403-203-3153) and called them up,

"Hi, just checking about my appliance recycling appointment and to check up where they are."

"Oh, we're running behind. We'll be there in 45 minutes"

Dafuq?

First of all, why give me a 3 hour window if you can't pull off the job?

Second, why didn't the movers call me ahead of time to say they're running behind? They have my number in order to say they're here.

That immediately ruined my day and that one statement pissed me off because it devalued my time. The fact that they said it so nonchalantly is what ticked me off the most.

I had no choice but to wait. I get a call at noon from the driver himself and he has trouble getting the truck to my place because of construction (can't drive around side streets but if you have GPS, you can check a reroute and work your way through the main streets) so they're looking for a smaller truck that would be there at 3-6PM.

DAFUQ.

They even had the nerve to ask if it's outside the complex, ready to be loaded. I'm paying you $30/pc to haul it for me so you better pick it up from up top and you're already late.

I drove around the city, scrambling to finish errands because the paint store and tiling store close early.

It's 5PM and they STILL didn't call me to pick it up and they were now screening my calls. I use another line and they immediately pick up,

"So did you find my truck yet? I'm waiting"

All I got was sorry excuses and I was just bitching on the phone now and not care. She was on the verge of breakdown and mentioned how she's not the Future Shop rep for the movers and she's the Sears lady. Apparently, the FS guy got sent home. :rofl: :banghead: :whipped:

I just asked,

"What are the odds of me getting a truck tonight?"

"Not so good..."

I got so pissed off that I refunded the stove from FS and the appliance recycling fees.

1-800-GOT JUNK? is coming on Monday.

Apparently, Futureshop is having issues with these movers and they're on their third one (this one is called Total Econ Moving?). I'm planning to call central HQ (604-435-8223) to let them know how unprofessional these movers were.

The fact that they didn't call me to say they were late and that they were not following up to give me status updates show how unprofessional they are.

Is it just me or are movers in Calgary don't give a flying fuck?

Sugarphreak
05-24-2014, 08:20 PM

flipstah
05-24-2014, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Only time I've used movers was to bring in a new fridge... it was simply too big for me

First they made me move and unhook my current fridge (kind of annoying, but I understand the liability issue). Then they smashed my walls, dented the fridge and left in in the middle of my kitchen with no doors. They said once I hooked up the water they would come back to move in in place and put the doors on.... yeah, no, they never came back.

However they left their fancy tape measure, so that was a small victory for me.

Funny enough, also Futureshop

If I had to do it again, I'd pick it up myself and just get a friend to move in into the house. For something like a dishwasher or a stove, just do it yourself... they are not too heavy or awkward to move if you have a cart.

Same. The fridge is just way too big and I don't have a dolly nor a truck to haul it to the junkyard.

The stove and dishwasher aren't heavy but since they were coming for the fridge, just get it all said and done with.

But nope, they didn't.

This was the worst customer service I've had and the patience was running thin. I'm a pretty relax person too but they brought me over the edge.

I'm emailing masoncgy from Coast Appliances to add a range to my fridge order.

Sugarphreak
05-24-2014, 08:27 PM

Tik-Tok
05-24-2014, 08:27 PM
Welcome to Calgary?

Menial jobs like that can't keep anyone competent, lol.

Graham_A_M
05-24-2014, 08:28 PM
Wow that is pretty damn incompetent. You also could have PM'ed Spikers to give you a hand with everything that they proposed to do. He could have done that for you, for a fee of course, and he's a great guy, and on time. :dunno:
Just sayin'

flipstah
05-24-2014, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Welcome to Calgary?

That shouldn't be an excuse. At least have pride in your work.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
^^ I have a dolly and a truck if you need help

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Wow that is pretty damn incompetent. You also could have PM'ed Spikers to give you a hand with everything that they proposed to do. He could have done that for you, for a fee of course, and he's a great guy, and on time. :dunno:
Just sayin'

Thanks but I have 1800GOTJUNK on schedule. Here's to hoping they do a good job.

If not, then Beyond meet haha.

Mista Bob
05-24-2014, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

That shouldn't be an excuse. At least have pride in your work.

It's becoming pretty common now for lots of people to have no pride in their work in pretty much any line of work.

Darkane
05-24-2014, 10:05 PM
Flip I delivered for Trail for 5 years and let me tell you sometimes we got super behind schedule.

Biggest issue was Pieces to big. We had to strip the house door, screen door, fridge doors, and hinges.

Then remove basement fridge, bring old but big fridge from kitchen to basement (more doors off everything) and then bring brand new fridge into kitchen.

Do this to a 50's built home with 30" door frames.

Oh wait you ordered the 25 cubic foot LG FRIDGE with the tv monitor built in the door? Perfect.

Now I'm disconnecting wires and power feeds.

Lol good times though.

Disoblige
05-24-2014, 10:10 PM
Future Shop/Best Buy uses third party companies for their moves and they're really inconsistent. Future Shop themselves was also incompetent too for messing up my delivery dates. I bought my washer/dryer and fridge there and boy was it frustrating getting my delivery. Fucked it up like 3 times; tried delivering on the wrong date, then missed the actual delivery date even after confirming it, and then it came late on the rescheduled date, LOL. Just such a total fail.

I bought stuff from Leon's and they were always top notch.

firebane
05-24-2014, 10:15 PM
This is why I have buddies and a truck.

I never rely on these guys because I've done the work and i know how easy it is to get behind or difficult to bring things in.

Best was a basement suite with small doors having to get a king size mattress in that we almost folded in 1/4s.

K3RMiTdot
05-24-2014, 10:19 PM
FS is the worst, about a month ago my friend purchased a fridge and had it scheduled for delivery on tuesday... it showed up on Saturday

flipstah
05-24-2014, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Mista Bob

It's becoming pretty common now for lots of people to have no pride in their work in pretty much any line of work.

I'm starting to see that too. It's sad, really.

Originally posted by Darkane
Flip I delivered for Trail for 5 years and let me tell you sometimes we got super behind schedule.

Biggest issue was Pieces to big. We had to strip the house door, screen door, fridge doors, and hinges.

Then remove basement fridge, bring old but big fridge from kitchen to basement (more doors off everything) and then bring brand new fridge into kitchen.

Oh wait you ordered the 25 cubic foot LG FRIDGE with the tv monitor built in the door? Perfect.

Lol good times though.

I understand that things can go behind. I just don't get why they didn't call to give me heads up. If you've been doing this for a while, you can tell right off the bat that this gonna take long so you better start calling and letting people know that shit is gonna hit the fan.

It's the lack of warning and consideration for other people's time. That's what pisses me off.

Originally posted by Disoblige
Future Shop/Best Buy uses third party companies for their moves and they're really inconsistent. Future Shop themselves was also incompetent too for messing up my delivery dates. I bought my washer/dryer and fridge there and boy was it frustrating getting my delivery. Fucked it up like 3 times; tried delivering on the wrong date, then missed the actual delivery date even after confirming it, and then it came late on the rescheduled date, LOL. Just such a total fail.

I bought stuff from Leon's and they were always top notch.

Yeah, I know the sub out their moving jobs, just like majority of appliance stores in Calgary. Apparently, it's a small bunch and they just hire the same incompetent drivers; new logos.

That's why I didn't give my associate lip; it's not their fault that it was a no-show.

However, until they switch delivery companies, it's the last time I'm supporting Future Shop.

Originally posted by firebane
This is why I have buddies and a truck.

I never rely on these guys because I've done the work and i know how easy it is to get behind or difficult to bring things in.

Best was a basement suite with small doors having to get a king size mattress in that we almost folded in 1/4s.

I'm just going to borrow my cousin's truck next time for big deliveries or summon Beyond. :clap:

kvg
05-24-2014, 11:22 PM
Welcome to Calgary?

This is very true for subcontractors in Calgary for the last decade.

Lol good times though.

Agree 100%. People that can't use a tape measure ruin a days schedule all the time.

idriveabox
05-24-2014, 11:59 PM
Prepare to spend a lot more than $30 per appliance with Junk? Yes they show up on time but it costs you. They will take it to the throw and go at the dump as well. No different than what you could do with a buddy and truck.

Bad service though. We were luck with Lowes and Jerome's appliances delivery.

msommers
05-25-2014, 01:05 AM
Sorry to hear about the crap service buddy. I had good luck with whoever Home Depot uses. Had free appliance guys on Kijiji help take the appliances for charities as long as I helped move it down a few flights of stairs lol. No fridge though, just washer/dryer and range.

GTS4tw
05-25-2014, 06:43 AM
Welcome to life?

FYP

flipstah
05-25-2014, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by idriveabox
Prepare to spend a lot more than $30 per appliance with Junk? Yes they show up on time but it costs you. They will take it to the throw and go at the dump as well. No different than what you could do with a buddy and truck.

Bad service though. We were luck with Lowes and Jerome's appliances delivery.

I'd rather pay more for great service if I knew this was going to happen. I lost crucial painting time waiting for those idiots.

The good part is that it's by volume so I also have other stuff to get rid of and might as well do it in one shot.

Darkane
05-25-2014, 10:50 AM
^^ one thing trail does (or did when I was there) are 1 hour priors to delivery.

Customer could be out shopping or at work. Whatever. Then 30-60 minutes before we'd call and tell me were on the way.

That is the best way IMO.

All we'd have to say is you're getting your shit today between 8am and 8pm with a 1 hour prior. Done.

Edit: forgot to add. Pricing for old appliances is not for moving them out. It's for environmental fees usually. Example: old fridges. Our maintenance would have to drain the refrigerant and prep it for fridge hell. Costs cash

Edit2: supply the coronas, a dolly and truck and I'll help you move your old shit if I'm not working.

Marsh
05-25-2014, 11:07 AM
I've had delivery from Futureshop as well. Biggest piece of shit company to deal with for delivery. I understand they hire 3rd party to deliver their shit, but Futureshop is completely incompetent for handling shit, and their 3rd party delivery companies are run by brainless turds.

Good to see Im not the only one who had to put up with their shit, but sucks to hear about your story. Its frustrating as hell

flipstah
05-25-2014, 11:31 AM
^^ one thing trail does (or did when I was there) are 1 hour priors to delivery.

Customer could be out shopping or at work. Whatever. Then 30-60 minutes before we'd call and tell me were on the way.

That is the best way IMO.

All we'd have to say is you're getting your shit today between 8am and 8pm with a 1 hour prior. Done.

Edit: forgot to add. Pricing for old appliances is not for moving them out. It's for environmental fees usually. Example: old fridges. Our maintenance would have to drain the refrigerant and prep it for fridge hell. Costs cash

Edit2: supply the coronas, a dolly and truck and I'll help you move your old shit if I'm not working.

I like that system Trail has. That is better.

And if I ever need Beyond help, you're getting Guinness or Innis & Gunn. Fuck Corona! :rofl:

revelations
05-25-2014, 11:59 AM

I understand that things can go behind. I just don't get why they didn't call to give me heads up. If you've been doing this for a while, you can tell right off the bat that this gonna take long so you better start calling and letting people know that shit is gonna hit the fan.

It's the lack of warning and consideration for other people's time. That's what pisses me off.

I see this all the time in my industry too - its like communications 101 (common sense??) has been left out of all the educational systems now. I've worked with so many communications imbeciles that I wonder how we get by.

When I call my clients about BASIC heads up (Im stuck in traffic, 20 minutes late) many are surprised that I would even bother. To me its minimal EFFORT to push in 10 numbers on a phone and speak for 30 seconds.

Apathy is the likely cause.

Darkane
05-25-2014, 12:03 PM

I like that system Trail has. That is better.

And if I ever need Beyond help, you're getting Guinness or Innis & Gunn. Fuck Corona! :rofl:

That's fine by me! Lol.

speedog
05-25-2014, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by revelations

I see this all the time in my industry too - its like communications 101 (common sense??) has been left out of all the educational systems now. I've worked with so many communications imbeciles that I wonder how we get by.

When I call my clients about BASIC heads up (Im stuck in traffic, 20 minutes late) many are surprised that I would even bother. To me its minimal EFFORT to push in 10 numbers on a phone and speak for 30 seconds.

Spot on.

Another example in a reverse way - had to get AMA to give me a boost yesterday morning at Northland Mall (dead battery). AMA guy shows up in less than 15 minutes an was surprised to see me in the parking lot waving him over and that the hood was up on my vehicle - he said that probably 90% of the people don't put their hoods up or even bother looking for him. To me it's a no-brainer to make his job a bit easier in trying to find me in a parking lot.

As far as movers, in the past 18 years we've used whomever does Sears appliances (no issues), masoncgy (no issues) and some piano movers (no issues - can't remember company, moved piano from Kelowna to Calgary).

16hypen3sp
05-25-2014, 04:20 PM
The guys that moved all my new furniture from Leons did a fantastic job. My house was brand new and I was worried about the carpet on the stairs in the foyer (bi-level) getting mud/water all over it. They did a good job. Even took off their boots (which I thought was a big no-no) and hauled bedroom furniture to the bedroom, living room furniture to the living room, kitchen furniture to kitchen, and stacked everything else that I didn't need yet neatly in my garage.

Laundry machines was a little bit of a different story. Bought them at Sears and movers brought them down from Edmonton. They were a little late but did a good job getting them into the basement. I thought they had all the necessary parts for hook up and were going to hook them up themselves but I had to do it. And they didn't take out/take off the shipping materials either. They just set them down and said "see yah." At least they didn't wreck the walls on the way down.

max_boost
05-25-2014, 04:26 PM
Leon's is really good. Never had a problem with the Brick either.

Sorry about your experience but man I can sense your anger dude. :eek:

flipstah
05-25-2014, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by revelations

Funny you mention that. I spoke to Future Shop and they're not surprised about my complaint and refund. It's like they gave up because they know there's only x companies in Calgary and they have a stranglehold.

I'm curious to see if CBC Marketplace would be interested in doing something...

As for 1-800-GOTJUNK, they called me today to confirm tomorrow and I told them about the construction. So they'll work around it and hopefully, it'll be a better experience.

Will keep you posted.

flipstah
05-26-2014, 06:20 PM
UPDATE:

1-800-GOT-JUNK came on time and gave me a 30 min courtesy call to know they're coming.

They were in and out in 45 minutes. They even took more junk than planned and got rid of an old microwave, a hood fan, the window coverings, a wooden table, chairs, and misc. trash.

They cost more but I was way happier with their service and how quick they were to get rid of stuff.

I also spoke to Best Buy corporate headquarters and they'll be responding to my complaint within two business days. Future Shop also tweeted me about my complaint when I posted a picture on Instagram.

max_boost
05-28-2014, 04:27 PM
Anyone use JunkVan? https://www.livingsocial.com/deals/1144803-250-pounds-of-junk-removal?rfui=100001783175153

I figure for $35 it's worth a shot. I got an old plasma, old cabinet, a couple chairs etc. haha

ercchry
05-28-2014, 04:38 PM
no love for vince? :rofl:

but for appliance deliveries i have had pretty smooth experiences... except for that one guy... giant black dude, wouldnt wear booties on his work boots and i asked him to do something about it since he was walking on our brand new hardwood floors.... he tried to (physically) fight me :rofl:

max_boost
05-28-2014, 04:41 PM
oh heavyfuel? totally forgot about him but asking him to match this offer would be a beyond lowball. :rofl:

johnlennon
05-28-2014, 05:15 PM
Its a low skill job that is being filled by low skill individuals. It is a common problem and the only way around this is to go through a larger chain like AMJ Campbell or Atlas van (not the contractors). Those guys usually are not so bad and seem to have pride in their work.

max_boost
05-30-2014, 10:58 AM
canceled my junkvan. reading the reviews scare me lol enlisting spikers removal services instead haha

flipstah
05-30-2014, 11:07 AM
There's a reason why they're on Groupon or whatever.

DeleriousZ
05-30-2014, 12:08 PM
So moral of thread is don't buy shit from future shop unless you can move it yourself? lol

flipstah
05-30-2014, 12:13 PM
Yup lol.

max_boost
05-31-2014, 03:53 PM
spikerS Handyman Services Inc. Always reliable and efficient.

flipstah
05-31-2014, 10:05 PM
Two Amigos delivered my new sofa and recliner on time and with no hassle. :thumbsup:

heavyfuel
06-01-2014, 08:10 AM
UPDATE:

1-800-got-junk came on time and gave me a 30 min courtesy call to know they're coming.

I'll keep my opinion to myself lol but still a better choice than some kijiji fucktard, that's for sure. And with my current state of inability to work due to knee surgery, well my subs are good but sounds like you're on a pretty demanding schedule and my work plus their work, may have had you waiting around longer than you planned to, so I'm glad it worked out for you.

Originally posted by max_boost
Anyone use JunkVan? https://www.livingsocial.com/deals/1144803-250-pounds-of-junk-removal?rfui=100001783175153

I figure for $35 it's worth a shot. I got an old plasma, old cabinet, a couple chairs etc. haha

They woulda said that weighs about 1200 lbs, and you woulda got hosed HARD dude. Have a look.

City landfills charge $114 per ton for disposal. 1 metric tonne equals 2204 lbs. divide that by $250, (the weight allowance for most $35 vouchers) so 2204 / 250 (lbs you get removed for $35) that brings us to 8.81 $35 coupons required to have 1 ton of junk on the truck. Now take that 8.81, multiply by $35, and we have a whopping $308.35 for having made almost 9 stops, and expenses aren’t factored in yet. According to what they advertise they should collect $308.35 per ton of junk, (gst not included) which costs $114 to dispose of.

Now we know that we have to make a 8.81 stops to have 1 ton on the truck, and that’s assuming that everybody has exactly 250 lbs of junk to get rid of. Minus $114 to dispose of 2204 lbs or 1 tonne, we’re now left with $194.35! Assuming the driver gets $13 per hour and the helper $11, that’s $24 per hour in labor costs, or $192 for an 8 hour work day, that leaves a paltry $2.35 profit for the day!! And that's not including fuel costs, insurance, WCB, etc.

Let’s have a closer look.

Labor 24 x 8 = $192

8.81 Customers pay $35 each for 250 lbs of junk removed. Let’s round it off to an even 9.

$35 x 9 = $315 collected for 9 stops.

250 lbs x 9 = 2250 lbs or just a few lbs over 1 ton on the truck.

$315 minus $114 for dump fees, and minus $192 for labor, = $9.

How do they make any money? Keep reading.

They make a profit by charging everybody for everybody else’s junk. They’re just guessing how much your stuff weighs and you are getting ripped off. There is no nice way to put it. All the victims for that day get get copies of the same scale ticket and a crafty story on how their junk exceeded the maximum weight allowance for the deal specified, and they get charged exorbitant amounts. And that’s on top of each individual scam! Remember, the more stops they make the more weight is on the truck and the harder each customer for that day is gonna get it. At this point there’s nothing you can do to defend yourself because they already have your credit card number!

oh heavyfuel? totally forgot about him but asking him to match this offer would be a beyond lowball. :rofl:

Yes thank you very much for not asking me to do that lol

Originally posted by johnlennon
Its a low skill job that is being filled by low skill individuals.

True to a point. Now Do you really want to get me started on this?

canceled my junkvan. reading the reviews scare me lol enlisting spikers removal services instead haha

Good call. Spikers is a much MUCH better option. In my opinion and based on what I've seen and heard, they're the lowest of the low. Here's a rare instance where a $20 kijiji guy WOULD be a better choice.

flipstah
06-01-2014, 08:24 AM
Heavyfuel, please lay in your two cents on this matter! I want to hear your side.

heavyfuel
06-01-2014, 08:37 AM
Heavyfuel, please lay in your two cents on this matter! I want to hear your side.

Nothing much to say. They're the bane of mine and anybody in my occupations' existence, but at the end of the day, while they are expensive, they're a good company. I would much rather lose a job to them, then to some kijiji cowboy. Some guys like me play by the rules, some don't. 1-800 do and I think that when you're going into a stranger's home and doing any kind of work, wcb and insurance is a must. It's easier to stomach to lose a job to a legit company than to some fuckwad who doesn't even pay taxes. Sounds like you're happy with their work, and believe it or not that makes me happy to hear that. It's nice that they let people know that not all junk removers are skid row greaseballs out to rip you off.

Sugarphreak
06-01-2014, 09:25 AM

Unknown303
06-01-2014, 09:31 AM
That's why from now on I'll probably just call Vince to haul stuff for me. I don't have to waste any of my time and I support a Beyonder.

403Gemini
06-01-2014, 09:51 AM
When I ordered a TV from Futureshop it took about 2 weeks longer than expected to receive. I kept telling them to just deliver it to the store and I'll pick it up. "Oh we can't do that" with no reason given. I told them I can't take an entire day off work, if they could even give me a window, like "morning or afternoon" - "Can't do that, sorry, things change all day"

Eventually got escalated to management where they said they would "make the extra effort to have it delivered before 11am Friday next week" , when I asked him why couldn't he just deliver it to the store and I'll pick it up on my own time he just said "Sorry we don't do that" and hung up.

Seriously, most fucked up thing every. So instead of just swinging by the future shop (or A Future shop, I would have picked up from any) they had to work with me for two weeks to lock down a MORNING (not even a specific time). They just had to drive it down to a shop, grab a piece of paper and tape and put my fucking name on it and I would have had it so much quicker.

Then when I signed the form they left, didn't bother helping me take it down to my basement, nope left my tv in my living room so I had to wait for the wife to come home that night to move it downstairs