PDA

View Full Version : What's with all the cars?

Melinda
05-25-2014, 11:16 AM
When leaving Calgary to go to Banff, just off the Cochrane off ramp, there's a gas station and a diner restaurant. Every time we drive past there, there's always a gazillion cars parked along the side of the road. It's always made us wonder why. Surely they can't all be making the treck into the restaurant. Anyone know?

FraserB
05-25-2014, 11:18 AM
Carpooling pick up/drop off for people going to the mountains or biking from that point.

supe
05-25-2014, 11:23 AM
Yup I wondered the same thing, and got the same answer. Doesn't seem like the smartest idea though.

Darell_n
05-25-2014, 02:34 PM
People have been carpooling there for more than 50 years. It use to be at the service station near the new Royal Oak C-train platform, before the Trans-Canada highway was even built.

woodywoodford
05-25-2014, 02:51 PM
Yup, lots of the resorts shuttles pick up from there

ExtraSlow
05-25-2014, 03:11 PM
Very common carpool spot. Easy meet-up for people coming from the south (from hwy 8, north like airdire, and anywhere in town.

I meet people there several times a year, and I have been doing it since I bought my first car.

btimbit
05-25-2014, 03:46 PM
Meet up place for car pooling plus shuttle buses stop there.

jacky4566
05-25-2014, 03:53 PM
Use it all the time meeting people from Airdrie. Everyone drives to the spot then car pool to the ski hill.
Just wish they would pave it. Parking lot would be ideal but I don't think anyone wants to pay for it.
With the traffic and locking your doors security is never much of an issue. Basics rules keeps you out of 90% of trouble.

Darell_n
05-25-2014, 04:53 PM
I think it was last year somebody was trying to shut it down and build a lot elsewhere. (gov't of some sort) That idea got shot down very quickly.

jwslam
05-26-2014, 08:59 AM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/349230/petro-canada-on-the-way-to-banff/

speedog
05-26-2014, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by jacky4566
Use it all the time meeting people from Airdrie. Everyone drives to the spot then car pool to the ski hill.
Just wish they would pave it. Parking lot would be ideal but I don't think anyone wants to pay for it.
With the traffic and locking your doors security is never much of an issue. Basics rules keeps you out of 90% of trouble.
What positive benefit is there for the MD to pave that area? Probably half the people parking there don't pay into the MD's tax base and paving it would just create a bigger problem in attracting more parkers. Parking lot - costs money to make as well and certainly no parker would be willing to pay the amount that would be needed to offset the costs of building said parking lot.

ExtraSlow
05-26-2014, 10:33 AM
I am of the opinion that they deliberatley under-maintain that road to keep it bumpy as possible to discourage people driving quickly. I don't see them paving it. Zero benefit, and would actually encourage the wrong behaviours.

Canmorite
05-28-2014, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I am of the opinion that they deliberatley under-maintain that road to keep it bumpy as possible to discourage people driving quickly. I don't see them paving it. Zero benefit, and would actually encourage the wrong behaviours.

I had to CRAWL along in my car. The potholes are serious business.

CapnCrunch
05-28-2014, 10:20 AM
So is it mostly people car pooling in to Calgary, or people from Calgary car pooling in to the mountains?

wintonyk
05-29-2014, 12:24 AM
pooling too the mountains. when i do hikes, usually meet a few friends there and we all pile in. easiest meeting place if people are coming from all over the city.

CapnCrunch
05-29-2014, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by wintonyk
pooling too the mountains. when i do hikes, usually meet a few friends there and we all pile in. easiest meeting place if people are coming from all over the city.

That's what I thought, but it seems just as busy during weekdays.

SilverKast
05-29-2014, 08:04 AM
Finally! I've been wondering for years, my wife and I always ask each other when we drive by on the way to the ski hill.

Darell_n
05-29-2014, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

That's what I thought, but it seems just as busy during weekdays.

Working 8-5 Mon-Fri is less common every year. Many retired folks also use this place as an organized meeting spot for hiking as well.