PDA

View Full Version : Garage cost

Canucks3322
05-26-2014, 11:48 AM
Before I go calling around Id like to know what I should be paying for the most basic 23ish by 22 ish garage built. .. We already have the concrete pad with a lip. What should I pay ball park around?

nzwasp
05-26-2014, 12:05 PM
Is there already electrical trenched to the pad too?

Canucks3322
05-26-2014, 12:19 PM
Shit .. no idea lol assuming it doesn't how much on top does that cost as a garage door opener would be a necessity.

P_D
05-26-2014, 12:23 PM
Don't forget a gas line for heat

Canucks3322
05-26-2014, 12:33 PM
Nope don't need heat. ..Rona said they would charge $2,000 labor for electric work Holy molly lol 5,000 for garage parts 4,000 for install. ..

95EG6P
05-26-2014, 12:43 PM
i am in the same boat as i am in a new build and i got quotes from random people leaving their business cards for a 20x 20 pad already there and the prices was $12800 to $15000 with electrical

nzwasp
05-26-2014, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Canucks3322
Shit .. no idea lol assuming it doesn't how much on top does that cost as a garage door opener would be a necessity.

Garage door, and lights and plugs unless you want the garage door light being your only source. Do you want outside plugs on side of garage for plugging in mower or whatever as well?

Probably want to think if you want shingles or some other type of roofing.

Im just giving you ideas I dont know how much it costs.

How much do you want/can do yourself - ie does those costs include drywall and insulation or just framing the garage

Canucks3322
05-26-2014, 01:31 PM
Ya drywall and insulation I will do myself. ..I will need siding to match the house and a proper roofing..geez 95EG that's crazy, even more than Rona...ya the Rona quote is without inside done.

HiTempguy1
05-26-2014, 03:16 PM
Ya drywall and insulation I will do myself. ..I will need siding to match the house and a proper roofing..geez 95EG that's crazy, even more than Rona...ya the Rona quote is without inside done.

Go price a package doing the whole thing yourself... it actually isn't that much cheaper.

Shits expensive nowadays. Try and find a carpenter that you'll offer $40/h under the table to help you. You won't find someone. :dunno:

ExtraSlow
05-26-2014, 03:50 PM
Go to any of the former totem stores and price out the package yourself. That'll give you a good baseline, and they may even be able to help you with how many hours it'll take. I don't know what markup is for contractors these days, btu even thier labourers probaly make $25/hr, and the skilled trades should be much more than that.

Shit IS expensive.

If you are on a lot that supports a large garage, make it as big as you can. If it's larger than typical, consider getting gas and 240v/sub-panel, even if you have no plans to use them. Could be a big selling feature down the road, as a lot of people seek out larger garages with these amentities.

Canucks3322
05-26-2014, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Go price a package doing the whole thing yourself... it actually isn't that much cheaper.

Shits expensive nowadays. Try and find a carpenter that you'll offer $40/h under the table to help you. You won't find someone. :dunno:

So something like Rona might not be that bad a way to go? I like the piece of mind that comes with using a big company with in house financing option.

I live in on a tiny lot in Evanston... houses my size in my area without garages are going for 400,000 ...430 with so it's definitely makes sense to build it either way.

colinderksen
05-26-2014, 09:38 PM
Here in the hat it was 21k cost for 25'x25'. Thick Pad, sided, shingled, wired, gas line run, no insulation or dry wall.
I'll buy another house before I do that. Just sucks I got the old car sitting in calgary cause I'm too cheap for storage. Haha

403ep3
05-26-2014, 10:05 PM
Built a 22x22 just last year. Shingles, siding, eaves, concrete pad, lighting, plugs everywhere for around 24k

Canucks3322
05-26-2014, 10:09 PM
Ok so I got a family friend to come help and teach us how to put up the garage, he just wants me to buy a garage kit since everything comes ready to assemble....my question now is where to get the cheapest kit haha and something decent, I'm guessing Rona or any other big box retailer would be my best bet? I think I'm looking at around $6,000 but would hope to go much cheaper since I will probably pay close to $2,000 for the electrical to be done.

After the frame goes up I will most likely contact a fellow beyonder who pm'd me to do the electrical.

eblend
05-27-2014, 07:34 AM
Ok so I got a family friend to come help and teach us how to put up the garage, he just wants me to buy a garage kit since everything comes ready to assemble....my question now is where to get the cheapest kit haha and something decent, I'm guessing Rona or any other big box retailer would be my best bet? I think I'm looking at around $6,000 but would hope to go much cheaper since I will probably pay close to $2,000 for the electrical to be done.

After the frame goes up I will most likely contact a fellow beyonder who pm'd me to do the electrical.

When I was shopping around 3 years ago it was something like 5k at Totem (now Rona...but back then Rona package sucked compared to Totem...so don't know of how all that changed since). I would just go to one of the old totem stores and get it there, I believe most people buy their packages there. Mine ran I think 5k and did not include siding or drainage. I build my own garage for $13000 all in with the pad (with 1 foot curb wall) with fully insulated and finished inside.

2k for electrical is retarded. Depending on what you are running (110 or 220V) all you need is some conduit, a breaker, a subpanel if you choose to do 220, and like $200 worth of cable, cheaper than that if you do 110. Then you dig a trench (don't recall the depth, maybe 2 feet..check the code) and put the cable in the conduit, make the connection into the panel at home, into the sub panel in the garage, and then install all your lights and plugs off that. It's rather simple. You do need an electrical permit if you want to do it right, as well as building permit for the garage.

Make sure you get the building permit...my parents put an offer down on an older home 6 month ago and the garage didn't have a permit, but the permit and inspection and everything was a condition to the sale. The guy had to cut off like a foot of his roof as it was too close to property line....and you don't just cut off 1" from a joist...it ruined the whole integrity of the thing so my parents backed out.

If you get someone to do all that for you, they will do all the proper permits themselves.

EDIT: As for the siding, if you have a piece laying around, bring it with you and they will match the color or at least close to it. You can also just cut off a tiny piece somewhere at the bottom to bring in if needbe.

95EG6P
05-27-2014, 08:17 AM

do you know how much the beyonder quoted you on electrical cause i need to get that done as well and do you get the eletrical trenched first before you build the garage or you get it at the same time ?

eblend
05-27-2014, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by 95EG6P

do you know how much the beyonder quoted you on electrical cause i need to get that done as well and do you get the eletrical trenched first before you build the garage or you get it at the same time ?

You can do the trenching anytime, even after the garage structure is fully up. The trench just has to run from where the electrical enters (and will exit) your house to the side of the garage where the conduit will be coming in.

eblend
05-27-2014, 08:37 AM
Here is a picture (gray conduit on the side)

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/utility/conduit/underground/utcnd25a.jpg

95EG6P
05-27-2014, 08:48 AM
^^^^^

How much did it cost you for the electrical if u don't mind me asking

eblend
05-27-2014, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by 95EG6P
^^^^^

How much did it cost you for the electrical if u don't mind me asking

I don't recall exactly, but I went with the 220 service myself, so there was the cost of the breaker, the sub panel and related breakers for that, conduit and the cable. I would say probably about $400-$500 bucks? I remember the cable was the most expensive part of the whole thing as it is rather thick and a long cable was required for me.

Once inside the garage a single spool of cable + plug + lights and all that was probably another $150 on top of that.

I really don't recall but it wasn't terribly expensive, think the main breaker was like $50-$60, small barkers in the sub panel were like $15-$20 a pop, sub panel like $50 or so, and roughly remember the cable being in the area of $200

Canucks3322
05-27-2014, 09:38 AM
Cool Ill check out Totem then lots of good info here. . Ya the family friend said frame first then get permit and do electrical which we now have another friend to do. .. so we just pay for pays and a bit of labor at this point.

Canucks3322
05-29-2014, 10:50 PM
Just started digging the trench it has to be fucking 18" deep wtf now I know why they charge so much fuck it is hard and when I get near the bottom iits like hard clay?!...I need to dig 30 feet to my garage.

Weapon_R
05-30-2014, 12:16 AM
Rent a mini backhoe and dig the trench using that.