PDA

View Full Version : ATV / Sled - owning one without fellow riders?

Dumbass17
05-26-2014, 01:15 PM
Alright, so I'm at the point I want a toy again.
Either a sled or quad, as I used to ride them back in my teens and early 20's (i'm 29 now) and haven't really ridden anything since my motorcycle accident.

I'm curious, those of you that own either, do you have friends that own them? I don't have a group of friends nowadays that is into this stuff really or that wants to get into it. And I'm looking for insight, am I going to end up buying a toy and then selling it shortly after because of lack of people to ride with?
I haven't done any quadding in/around Calgary too. Are there heaps of trails/areas nearby-ish to just hop on and rip around for awhile? I'm from small town BC so I'm used to just driving out my backyard, down the alley and along highway ditches and open fields. Is it quit different here, like have to watch for farmers and bylaw and all that. Obviously, I'm not saying I'm going to ride it on the highway or rip up a farmers field, but just wondering what it's like.

Dave P
05-26-2014, 01:38 PM
Its easy, make new friends, or introduce your friends to it.

Thats how I got in to ATV'ing (friend took me along for a ride on an extra quad, and bought one shortly after), and Dirt bikes. Now we all seem to have them.

Lots of online groups that go for organized rides, and you meet a lot of people.

Mclean is prob your best bet for going for a quick rip.

Darell_n
05-26-2014, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Dave P

Mclean is prob your best bet for going for a quick rip.

Also a great way to meet people. More than once I've joined up with total strangers and had a great time. I bought my side-by-side last year with no peers to ride with, now I know many and have taken out many co-workers who will likely be shopping this year.

ExtraSlow
05-26-2014, 07:35 PM
Don't try to make your existing friends do something they don't want to do. Find new friends who already do these activities.