PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Canadian GP Montreal

herragge
05-26-2014, 02:27 PM
Who's going to be there in the flesh?

Will be my first Canadian GP, second F1 GP I've been to since I was in Valencia for the Europe GP in 2010.

Super excited for it, even though the experience track side won't be anything like it was with the blaring NA engines of past.

No shortage of nightlife in Montreal, especially during the weekend, but what are some favorites of the veterans who've been there during F1 weekend a few times? I'm sure someone will pipe up with Super Sex as a suggestion.

Cheers

Mike

Cos
05-26-2014, 05:43 PM

MGCM
05-26-2014, 09:30 PM
is montreal next up on the 2014 F1 GP calender?

That.Guy.S30
05-26-2014, 09:31 PM
I'll be there with my boys. A few other beyond members will be there as well but I will let them speak up.

TYMSMNY
05-26-2014, 09:41 PM
Yeah. Heading out there next Friday with Sorath!

That.Guy.S30
05-26-2014, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY
Yeah. Heading out there next Friday with Sorath!

haha. I guess we will be meeting up then.

n1zm0
05-27-2014, 07:58 AM
I'm supposed to go there for a stag plus the race, should be great :nut:

herragge
05-27-2014, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Really enjoyed Montreal when we went. Was going to go this year but buddy I was going to go with bought a new house. Next year hopefully.

Which seats did you get?

Couple years old but here is our review when we got back. Sorry about the pictures. Photobucket was reset a while ago.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=355376

Thanks for the review.

I'm staying in the Village Suites with my dad and brother, a boys weekend kinda.

Will be looking for some ruckus in the evening for sure.

Alak
05-28-2014, 10:41 AM
I'll be there with a buddy. Fly in on Thursday. I have Millions of Best Western Points so we will be staying at one of the best westerns downtown, free of charge. :burnout:

Beyond F1 Meet?

TYMSMNY
05-28-2014, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by That.Guy.S30

haha. I guess we will be meeting up then.

We meet again..... :devil:

Originally posted by Alak

Beyond F1 Meet?

Maybe for a pint... or 6. :angel:

slammedfc
05-28-2014, 03:05 PM
curious to what a ticket costs to watch?

jabjab
05-28-2014, 03:28 PM
There is a "strip club" that is located outside downtown I forget the name but I'm sure the cabbies will know what you're talking about.

It's just a strip club where you can bang them in back kinda deal.

Alak
05-28-2014, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by slammedfc
curious to what a ticket costs to watch?

I think it was $1000 for two sets of weekend passes. I went with silver pass this time. Although its cool to be on the main grandstand, you dont really see any action during the race except the pits.

slammedfc
05-29-2014, 09:30 AM

I think it was $1000 for two sets of weekend passes. I went with silver pass this time. Although its cool to be on the main grandstand, you dont really see any action during the race except the pits.

that's not too bad! thanks for the info!

Alak
05-29-2014, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by slammedfc

that's not too bad! thanks for the info!

This isn't just formula 1 these tickets are good for. Theres all sorts of racing series and divisions racing from pretty much 8AM until the evening. Formula 1 is usually the last racing of the day. Im looking forward to the Ferrari Challenge Series and the GT3 Cup Series.

rage2
05-29-2014, 10:43 PM

This isn't just formula 1 these tickets are good for. Theres all sorts of racing series and divisions racing from pretty much 8AM until the evening. Formula 1 is usually the last racing of the day. Im looking forward to the Ferrari Challenge Series and the GT3 Cup Series.
They're racing vintage F1 cars this year. You wouldn't want to miss that.

herragge
05-29-2014, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by rage2

They're racing vintage F1 cars this year. You wouldn't want to miss that.

What series is that rage2? Definitely interested in that. Thanks for the headsup.

l/l/rX
05-30-2014, 02:13 AM
what does everyone think about the rosberg and hamilton situation? Getting so many news feeds about how there's a huge feud between hamilton and rosberg now because of what rosberg did in quali at monaco, also how hamilton is reacting to that entire situation post race, saying he came from a poorer house hold sleeping on his dads couch where as nico came from monaco and his hunger for that win was greater etc etc. just media being media or...???

Cos
05-30-2014, 06:31 AM

chongkee_
05-30-2014, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by l/l/rX
what does everyone think about the rosberg and hamilton situation? Getting so many news feeds about how there's a huge feud between hamilton and rosberg now because of what rosberg did in quali at monaco, also how hamilton is reacting to that entire situation post race, saying he came from a poorer house hold sleeping on his dads couch where as nico came from monaco and his hunger for that win was greater etc etc. just media being media or...???

I think it's just the media trying to hype the whole thing.
If my memory serves me right when Nico was doing it(Bahrain post race), it doesn't seem to be a problem but when Hamilton does it suddenly the media is all over it.

About the whole "hunger" thing, it's starting to get really tiring.

Either way should be an exciting battle, I'm just hoping that they don't take each other out and that the championship gets settled before Abu Dhabi.

CapnCrunch
05-30-2014, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by l/l/rX

It's just F1 trying desperately to create interest during yet another season where one team is dominant and everyone else fights for the scraps.

Rosberg and Hamilton are probably London bridging some skank as we speak.

phreezee
05-30-2014, 10:43 AM
They talked and made up, lol.

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12472/9332115/lewis-hamilton-says-he-and-nico-rosberg-still-friends-after-post-monaco-talks

"We've been friends a long time and as friends we have our ups and downs," Hamilton tweeted.

"Today we spoke we're cool, still friends #noproblem."

I think Hamilton should win in Montreal, but with that dumb back to back DRS zone I don't know if he can hold off Rosberg in the final laps. If I were Lewis I would ask for the same tire strategy so I wouldn't get caught out at the end.

rage2
05-30-2014, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by herragge
What series is that rage2? Definitely interested in that. Thanks for the headsup.
Masters HGP.

http://www.mastershgp.com/

http://www.mastershgp.com/images/Masters%20HGP/_MCD0254.jpg

Schedule is here:

https://www.circuitgillesvilleneuve.ca/formula-1-grand-prix-du-canada-2014-2

4 sessions with these bad boys. I really wanted to go this year, but couldn't find anyone to do paddock club with me.

Cos
05-30-2014, 11:34 AM

rage2
05-30-2014, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Cos
How much was it looking like this year?
For paddock club? Tickets are around $5k this year per person through Mercedes dealers. Budget $10k for a full weekend per person if you're not sharing rooms, arrive Wed night and depart Monday morning. Paddock club tickets gets you covered area above the pit (essential if it rains), tons of TVs, catered food and drinks, and pit walk schedules and areas exclusive to paddock club tickets. You get to mingle with drivers and team bosses and shit in the pits haha.

Cos
05-30-2014, 12:58 PM

rage2
05-30-2014, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Honestly that is actually cheaper than I was expecting. I always thought the club seats were $7500 on their own.
They are for some races at retail prices. If you get them from Mercedes, Ferrari or McLaren dealerships, there's a decent discount. This is assuming you're a customer of the brand.

Cos
05-30-2014, 02:35 PM

Unknown303
05-30-2014, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Ah that could be it. Yeah Ford doesnt have a section as far as I know. Haha

I wonder if I'm considered a Mercedes guy now? :rofl:

max_boost
05-30-2014, 05:02 PM
that would be such a cool experience even though i'm not really an f1 fan.

l/l/rX
05-30-2014, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by phreezee
They talked and made up, lol.

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12472/9332115/lewis-hamilton-says-he-and-nico-rosberg-still-friends-after-post-monaco-talks

"We've been friends a long time and as friends we have our ups and downs," Hamilton tweeted.

"Today we spoke we're cool, still friends #noproblem."

haha ya i saw this on his instagram day after my original post.

Alak
05-31-2014, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by rage2

They are for some races at retail prices. If you get them from Mercedes, Ferrari or McLaren dealerships, there's a decent discount. This is assuming you're a customer of the brand.

There is benefits through the owners club as well, as well as discounts. There was no discounts for the canadian gran prix this year through the FCA, but there is for the US gran prix (go figure). I misplaced the FCA newsletter but I believe there is a pit walk for standing FCA members.

Is there like an AMG club or something?

Cos
06-01-2014, 02:14 PM

CapnCrunch
06-02-2014, 02:04 PM
Rumor has it that F1 is going to get rid of double points for the last race of the season, and instead force the driver with the points lead to wear a single eye patch for the entire last race.

:hijack:

xnvy
06-02-2014, 07:57 PM
That series with the classic F1 cars looks so good :eek: would love to see some of that action. Do you think they'll televise it or at least put links up somewhere?
I hope the Villeneuve car wins.

Is it bad that I'm more excited for the Master's race than the F1 race? The action in the middle of the grid is nice to watch but watching Mercedes run away with it is kind of boring. I wonder if we'll look back on this season and look at the Mercedes cars as utterly dominant like we do with the MP4/4.

Alak
06-03-2014, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by xnvy
Is it bad that I'm more excited for the Master's race than the F1 race? The action in the middle of the grid is nice to watch but watching Mercedes run away with it is kind of boring.

Watching any team run away with it is kind of boring, Even if its the team you are rooting for. But that's the level of performance everyone needs to achieve to be competetive. Its basically going to be Mercedes domination for the V6 engine era until someone steps up to the plate to build a competetive power plant, or FIA comes up with some retarded rule in an effort to 'level the playing field'. The chassis' are competetive to one another, as shown that every other car on the grid is within the same range as each other, its just that Mercedes engine that gives it the edge. Thing has to have 100 more Horsepower than everyone else.

CapnCrunch
06-06-2014, 10:15 AM

Watching any team run away with it is kind of boring, Even if its the team you are rooting for. But that's the level of performance everyone needs to achieve to be competetive. Its basically going to be Mercedes domination for the V6 engine era until someone steps up to the plate to build a competetive power plant, or FIA comes up with some retarded rule in an effort to 'level the playing field'. The chassis' are competetive to one another, as shown that every other car on the grid is within the same range as each other, its just that Mercedes engine that gives it the edge. Thing has to have 100 more Horsepower than everyone else.

It sucks in some ways, but it's way better than turning it into Nascar.

I think it's pretty amazing how the teams come up with different ways to solve the same problems. That's part of the draw, even if the races can sometimes be boring.

Besides, even if 1-2 are mostly locked up for the rest of the year, there are still some good battles going on behind Mercedes.

phreezee
06-06-2014, 10:37 AM
Encouraging that Alonso is tops in FP1 and it wasn't raining lol.

Alak
06-07-2014, 05:58 AM
We'll see how things are today. I foresee anothet half a second from mercedes above everyone else.

The cars are quiet. The CTCC cars were louder lol.

phreezee
06-07-2014, 08:02 PM
Should be an excellent race tomorrow as the third to sixth cars were covered by just 0.041s. I hope Bottas makes the most of his P4, and shows what he can do against Vettel and Alonso.
I think Lewis' P2 was good for him, and the double DRS zone will work to his advantage. It all depends on the tires late in the race if they do a 1 stopper, he'll have at least 1 lap newer tires having pitted later.

MGCM
06-07-2014, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Cos

God I wish my wife wasn't into F1.

..........there is something very wrong with that statement lol:eek:

davidI
06-07-2014, 10:06 PM
Any news on Montreal getting a new contract to host races in 2015 and beyond?

Or will Austin be the only N.A. race going forward?

Mibz
06-07-2014, 10:31 PM
10 year extension.

davidI
06-07-2014, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
10 year extension.

Sweet. Should have Googled again today. I checked last week and it was still being negotiated which is why I was asking.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/formula-1-inks-187m-10-year-deal-to-keep-grand-prix-in-montreal-1.2668266

GTS4tw
06-08-2014, 12:03 PM
Lets go Ferrari! :poosie:

DJ Lazy
06-08-2014, 01:27 PM
How many horseshoes does Rosberg have shoved up his ass?! :nut:

phreezee
06-08-2014, 02:02 PM
Freaking insane race. :nut: Never seen anything like it before. Its all over for Lewis' WDC I think.
The end result of Massa's incident is that Vettel couldn't take Rosberg and an extra 3 points.

Congrats to Daniel Ricciardo on his first victory!:thumbsup:

DJ Lazy
06-08-2014, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by phreezee
Freaking insane race. :nut: Never seen anything like it before. Its all over for Lewis' WDC I think.

We're not even half way thru the season... Hamilton still has time to close the gap. Rosbergs' luck has to end at some point.

Amazed he wasn't penalized for cutting the final chicane... It's not even that he cut the chicane, but he punched the GO pedal and pulled a gap on Lewis AND posted the fastest lap of the race at the time.

Cos
06-08-2014, 04:14 PM

MGCM
06-08-2014, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Cos
That was insane. I wanted to see more detail on that Massa crash. I cant believe with the force of those two crashes (Massa and the Marussia) that no one was hurt.

definately massa has a fuked up wrist or 2, he held onto the wheel as he struck the barrier, very ugly crash. Freakin amazing race!!!!

phreezee
06-08-2014, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by DJ Lazy

We're not even half way thru the season... Hamilton still has time to close the gap. Rosbergs' luck has to end at some point.

Amazed he wasn't penalized for cutting the final chicane... It's not even that he cut the chicane, but he punched the GO pedal and pulled a gap on Lewis AND posted the fastest lap of the race at the time.

I know but Lewis has the worst luck... Remember 2012, he had 5 DNFs.
He had more DNFs than Rosberg last year also. I expect at least one more for Lewis.

phreezee
06-08-2014, 10:15 PM
Perez was given a 5 place grid penalty for Austria for changing his racing line. Chilton gets the same for his spin out. Massa was ok and came back from the hospital to do his media rounds. Amazing since it was a 27G crash.

MGCM
06-08-2014, 10:48 PM
i definately disagree with the call there, a penalty? for something EVERY other team would done EXACTLY the same way? Cmon this is racing shit goes wrong, he held on for so many laps that it obviously was not a completely park your car and quit situation, cudos to him for holding on as long as he did and im very sorry to see how it ended for him and massa, but thats part of racing. Plainly, Nico ended up doing the same thing as Perez did he not? Nico ran the same risk that Perez ran, except that 1001 horseshoes wedged inside his rectum helped him limp thru to a 2nd place finish.......should they revoke his finish and strip his trophy and points for a "dangerous risk" that paid off? I think this whole thing is one giant greyzone.......Nico gains how many seconds on the one lap as he skips the course at full throttle basically telling everyone he doesnt give 2 shits about the rules? If they continue letting Nico play his "tricks" you can bet others will do the same shit in real short order. Id say Nico has opened up a pandoras box, and he will regret it......:dunno: thats just how i see it, but i have been told im crazy before, anyones guess:thumbsup:

cloud7
06-08-2014, 10:49 PM
I knew it was Perez's fault after watching the action live and the initial replay. It might not have been a big move but he did react to Massa and switch his line to block since he had to brake so early. It was lucky that no one was hurt. Some people online are blaming Massa for being too aggressive trying to pass there but as a race driver you got to take every opportunity as they come because it may not come again. IMO Perez got off easily with just a 5 grid place penalty given how bad the crash was.

buh_buh
06-08-2014, 11:32 PM
To the guy that doesn't know how to write in paragraphs, watch the replay. Perez changed lines going into the braking zone to block right before Massa crashed into him. Perez deserved a penalty for that.

BObcBrAe-ro

rage2
06-09-2014, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by MGCM
i definately disagree with the call there, a penalty? for something EVERY other team would done EXACTLY the same way? Cmon this is racing shit goes wrong, he held on for so many laps that it obviously was not a completely park your car and quit situation, cudos to him for holding on as long as he did and im very sorry to see how it ended for him and massa, but thats part of racing. Plainly, Nico ended up doing the same thing as Perez did he not? Nico ran the same risk that Perez ran, except that 1001 horseshoes wedged inside his rectum helped him limp thru to a 2nd place finish.......should they revoke his finish and strip his trophy and points for a "dangerous risk" that paid off? I think this whole thing is one giant greyzone.......Nico gains how many seconds on the one lap as he skips the course at full throttle basically telling everyone he doesnt give 2 shits about the rules? If they continue letting Nico play his "tricks" you can bet others will do the same shit in real short order. Id say Nico has opened up a pandoras box, and he will regret it......:dunno: thats just how i see it, but i have been told im crazy before, anyones guess:thumbsup:
Perez moved over in the braking zone, that is why he's penalized. There's a rule forbidding changing lines in the braking zone to prevent the exact scenario you see here. I hate Vettel, but kudos for seeing or hearing the crash behind him and actually steering away and not get collected.

As for Mercedes domination, this race proves that it's not just the engine. Mercedes has the best downforce compared to every other team, even the mighty Newey RBR. They lost MGU-K and 160hp, and Nico was competitive in S1 and S2, only to be destroyed in S3 where power matters. Even at the beginning of the year when RBR was down on power, they were never passed on the straights like Nico got passed on the straights today. I posted in a previous race thread about RBR being wrong to blame everything on Renault, and I'm pretty spot on after seeing the race unfold today.

Nico's mistake being investigated and let go is pretty straight forward. You get away with it once, get warned, and penalized if you do it again. He did gain an advantage (fastest S3 and lap time at that point) but he didn't gain track position. Although you can argue he gained track position by not losing his spot, but the rules allow for that. Tough to cover every racing situation.

That.Guy.S30
06-09-2014, 02:08 AM
Just came back from Montreal. Insane race. Stupid hot down on the grounds. The cars sound so much better in person.

chongkee_
06-09-2014, 07:16 AM
I guess Vettel stil has some luck. He could've been taken out by Perez.
I was in such a bad mood about Hamilton's DNF that I didn't bother leaving the house all day.:nut:

Ya Nico got quite a bit of luck. No penalties for flooring it in the rundown (or w/e you call it) area and not hitting the wall when hit the curb(can't remember which corner).

Really happy for DR's first win. Would've been a RBR 1-2 if it wasn't for the Safety Car.

mr2mike
06-09-2014, 08:11 AM
Great race. Lots of excitement. MB dodged a bullet with their mechancial mess.

Alak
06-09-2014, 08:23 AM
Pretty wild to see massa flying backward down the front straight. You get the tv footage on the big screen but theres no real information from the announcer. Its mostly in french, and they just talk about track position mostly. I had to look up the infomation after the race to see what happend to the mercedes cars. And learned about all the other problems too from other teams.

Great action at turn 1 and 2 (where I sat). Sat next to a couple from calgary and a bunch of irish guys (anyone here) ?

All in all a great weekend. Retard hot, won at the casino (always bet on black) and got to meet eddie jordan. Classic F1 was great too, actually hearing the cars wide open in person. Ferrari Challenge was great too. CTCC was okay but the hondas gave me a headache haha.

phreezee
06-09-2014, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by chongkee_
I guess Vettel stil has some luck. He could've been taken out by Perez.

Yup, and Massa.

http://i.imgur.com/3KODwne.jpg

Sorath
06-09-2014, 09:01 AM
I wish they didn't cancel the Porsche gt3 race :(

rage2
06-09-2014, 09:32 AM
You get the tv footage on the big screen but theres no real information from the announcer. Its mostly in french, and they just talk about track position mostly. I had to look up the infomation after the race to see what happend to the mercedes cars. And learned about all the other problems too from other teams.
I miss Kangaroo TV/Fanvision. It's been 2 yrs since it's gone, I can't believe Bernie hasn't signed on a replacement yet. It makes the live races 1000x better.

You can choose commentary in multiple languages, individual in car views, TV views, etc. so you can "watch" the race when it's on the other side of the track.

Alak
06-09-2014, 11:00 AM
I have the F1 App on my tablet, and it has live commentary (BBC) and team radios but it kills my battery in 15 minutes for some reason. Maybe if I had a solar panel I could put on my head hahaha.

MGCM
06-09-2014, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh
To the guy that doesn't know how to write in paragraphs, watch the replay. Perez changed lines going into the braking zone to block right before Massa crashed into him. Perez deserved a penalty for that.

BObcBrAe-ro

my bad, i had not watched the replay, just bits of what i saw and heard made me believe the car twitched under braking and he was just trying to catch the back end, a normal racing situation, but alas i guess perez made an even bigger mistake, very sad to find out the pressure got him, otherwise he still could have gained some good points.

As for i dont know how to write a "proper" paragraph, its the internet why the fuck would anybody care if its "proper" or not? Do you give ppl a hard time in emails and txt messages too?

kdwebber
06-18-2014, 11:16 PM
What an incredible race! I agree that the V6 power unis sound much better in person than on tv. They don't give you the tingle up your spine and raise the hairs on the back of your neck like the V8's did tho. I'll miss walking across one of the bridges to the island and hearing the rapid downshifts and acceleration of a V8.

As far the racing goes this year was the best race I have seen in the five years I've been attending the Canadian GP. The weather was pretty nice but not the hottest race weekend I've been to. I was sitting in the hairpin (grandstand 15) and you could really see Kimi struggling to put the power down coming out of the hairpin. Seems like Ferrari have a lot of work do with their mechanical grip and power delivery. Also the Mercedes powered cars sound much different than their Ferrari and Renault rivals.

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a619/kyledwebber/CircuitGillesVilleneuvesGrandstand152014_zps35805509.jpg (http://s1286.photobucket.com/user/kyledwebber/media/CircuitGillesVilleneuvesGrandstand152014_zps35805509.jpg.html)

That.Guy.S30
06-19-2014, 03:39 PM
KDwebber nice seats. I sat at the grandstand on the opposite side of the hairpin. First F1 race and it was amazing.