PDA

View Full Version : Rental car in Cancun?

Brent.ff
05-26-2014, 02:53 PM
So far have flights booked for the girlfriend and I into Cancun in mid-november, past that haven't done much planning other then wanting to get down to Xcalak for fishing and lounging. Anyone have experience at the car-rentals in Cancun? I know that the insurance is a bit funky, but looking for first hand experience.

lasimmon
05-26-2014, 03:25 PM
Don't have first hand experience. However, I have heard countless stories about being ripped off by gas stations or pulled over by corrupt police just because you are a tourist.

I've been to Cancun and the Mayan area about 5 times and never once thought about renting a car. Returning again on wednesday and won't be renting a car.

tch7
05-26-2014, 03:29 PM
Been a while since I was in Cancun specifically, but when in Mexico in general it's usually easier to use the buses/taxis/tours/etc, and just rent a car for a day here or there on an as-needed basis.

rage2
05-26-2014, 03:42 PM
Almost everyone I know that's rented a car in Cancun always comes back with getting hauled into a small jail cell and needed to pay a bunch of money to get out for doing nothing wrong.

As others have said, buses, taxis and tours are dirt cheap. No point in driving anywhere.

ExtraSlow
05-26-2014, 03:45 PM
The only two people I know who have rented cars tehre have been extorted by the cops. Carry a wad of cash and hope it's enough . . .

Brent.ff
05-26-2014, 03:56 PM
One thing, Xcalak is a hell of a long way from Cancun, so getting a bus for it would be a pain, and a taxi extremely expensive...

hrmmm

bowlofrice
05-26-2014, 09:42 PM
^^ would you rather end up in a shitty jail cell and have to pay a shit ton of cash or just pay a somewhat fair taxi fee...

milesmcewing
05-27-2014, 05:58 AM
I guess my experience was different, I rented a car in Cancun - drove up to chitchen itza and back through tulum, not a single hassle and never had an issue.

Filled up with fuel and no problem.

As a side note, I drove my motorcycle 7,000 km in mexico from Baja to Guatemala, got stopped several times to have my docs checked and never once had a problem with cops or fuel.

The car rental was cheap and easy and a brand new car.

Have fun, mexico is a great country.

For the record I don't speak Spanish or look anything like a local.

Happy trails.

300zxfairlday
05-27-2014, 06:44 AM
Like others have said , stick to bus or taxi. I also made the mistake to rent a car. Long story short... Was pulled over and threatened to be taken to jail unless. Gave him 300$ for doing nothing wrong and he let me go.

mr2mike
05-27-2014, 07:35 AM
Why would you want to be driving drunk?

milesmcewing: Why would you rent a car to drive to chitchen itza or tulum. There's day trips from all resorts going there, seems like an unnecessary risk to rent a car down there.

milesmcewing
05-27-2014, 09:57 AM
mr2mike: I was not interested in a bus ride. The rental was cheap and easy. There are also a lot of cool places to see along the way and some undeveloped ruins that you can explore - the bus does not go there.

Being on your own allows you to see more, stop more, experience more and meet the locals - a bus full of tourists will never have that.

Most stories of problems you hear of are not first hand, it is usually a 'guy I know said'.

I drove through the jungle in Colombia - the army on one side of the road and the FARC on the other, both waving us on.

I don't feel it is a risk. I trust myself a lot more than the local bus drivers!

I have driven in almost every country in Central and South America - There are a lot of stories of bribery and corruption - I have never had an issue. Got a bit of hassle in Bolivia at a toll booth but no problem. Even in Honduras where we were warned by many people - both times we were pulled over the cops were ' hey cool bike, welcome to Honduras! enjoy the ride'

Sometimes things happen, sometimes you are in the wrong place at the wrong time - happens here too.

Don't drive drunk, don't act stupid and you should have no problem.

Two people I know have been shot at....... both in the US.

My friend Sherri spent three years travelling around the world by herself on a motorcycle - there scariest place on her trip and the only one with a hassle - A campground in Pincher Creek.

Don't be scared of the world - the media continues to put the fear into us.

My two cents.

stillworking
05-27-2014, 08:24 PM
Not Recommended.

Rented a Jeep in Cancun. Yeah it was kind of fun, but I was always worried about letting it out of my sight. I had two run-ins with the Policia and had to pay them off both times. To top it off, a few weeks later my credit card that I had used to rent the Jeep only was buying stuff all over the world.

If you do go ahead just make sure you have cash ready.

BMDUBS
05-27-2014, 09:57 PM
Its great to rent a car but it is not for the light hearted. I also got extorted by the Police in Cancun in the Horel zone for 'apparently' speeding.

Thank goodness my GF at the time spoke Spanish and handled the negotiation but $40 USD later and I was on my way. Do not carry a lot of cash as a small amount would suffice but expect to have to pay on the spot with no receipt lol

BMDUBS
05-27-2014, 10:00 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by milesmcewing
[B]

Being on your own allows you to see more, stop more, experience more and meet the locals - a bus full of tourists will never have that.

I agree with this entirely. Car cost $30 a day from a rental agency at the airport. Was well worth it as we also went to Chichen Itza and even took the car on a ferry over to Cozumel for the day. Great experience as opposed to the tour bus alternative