PDA

View Full Version : Muscle Car Rental in Toronto

haggis88
05-27-2014, 12:36 AM
Hey guys.

Heading out to Toronto for 4 days at the end of June to meet up with my parents who are connecting over to Calgary.

We'll be staying there and doing all the touristy stuff and will be renting a car.

I would quite like to rent a yank-tank (maybe even a convertible one) as opposed to a boring run of the mill Impala/Altima

So far the only place i can find that looks legit enough is Hertz, who are $95/day for a Chevrolet Camaro SS (or similar such as Mustang GT or Dodge Challenger RT)

Are there any other reputable companies I can look at? Hertz price seems pretty reasonable, but would like to shop around to see that i'm getting a good deal and a decent car! :)

mr2mike
05-27-2014, 07:42 AM
Better make sure on that because I can see you show up and get the V6 model with traction control that doesn't turn off with the push of the button. ;)
Sorry sir, the GT's are all out.

haggis88
05-27-2014, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Better make sure on that because I can see you show up and get the V6 model with traction control that doesn't turn off with the push of the button. ;)

this was my worry!

Enterprise list the convertible Mustang "or similar" but it doesn't specify that it's a GT model...they do however list unlimited kilometers

Budget list the Camaro SS (or similar such as Mustang GT) and say that you can pick the exact car so there are no surprises when you collect it...however they give 600km and anything over that is .19/km

XylathaneGTR
05-27-2014, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by haggis88

Budget list the Camaro SS (or similar such as Mustang GT) and say that you can pick the exact car so there are no surprises when you collect it...however they give 600km and anything over that is .19/km

A colleague of mine rented a Mustang GT in AB for a field meeting late last year. Limited to 120km/h and a choked throttle response.
Nothing really wrong with that, but just keep that in mind if you're renting it to beat the piss out of it.

I rented a Mustang 'vert in Dallas last year and it too governed itself accordingly, limiting our fun.

CompletelyNumb
05-27-2014, 12:15 PM
Plenty of exotic car rental outfits in the GTA with good reputations. None that are that cheap, however. That's a good rate for an SS, but as said, it will likely be governed.

A790
05-27-2014, 12:57 PM
Rented a Mustang GT from Avis last September. Governed to 150, traction control forced to stay on.

Still had a good time.

ercchry
05-27-2014, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike

you just have to hold it down for 7 seconds with your foot on the brake :dunno:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-27-2014, 01:05 PM
Geez seems like the Canadian rental companies are wimps with their cars.

My dad got upgraded to a 2013 Mustang 5.0 convertible last year in Florida for $20 a day total (he's still abusing his 20 year old corporate account perks) that came with 13 miles on the clock and no nannies. He returned it two weeks later with 2800 miles and a distinct lack of tread on the rear tires :P

avishal26
05-27-2014, 01:07 PM
^ I rented a Mustang V6 from Budget in Vancouver and it was governed to 115kmph or something ridiculous lol

My buddy rented a mustang GT from Budget Vancouver that didn't seem to be governed - but I didn't drive it that long so not sure.

This was 4 years ago.

You could always call and ask.

ercchry
05-27-2014, 01:43 PM
the limited speed is thanks to the ford mykey.... check the spare tire well for the admin key :devil:

M.alex
05-27-2014, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by XylathaneGTR

but just keep that in mind if you're renting it to beat the piss out of it.

Why? Are you 12yrs old?

Inzane
05-27-2014, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by XylathaneGTR
just keep that in mind if you're renting it to beat the piss out of it.

There's just something morally wrong with that concept.
:dunno:

XylathaneGTR
05-27-2014, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Inzane

There's just something morally wrong with that concept.
:dunno:

Why else would you specifically look at renting a sports model unless you were looking to take advantage of that power (as Twin_Cam's dad did)?
For the record, iI'm currently driving a long-term rental Jeep GC for a field assignment and I treat it as my own.

EK69
05-27-2014, 03:57 PM
i have seen mustang 5.0 being advertised in and around calgary in front of budget car rental places... but being governed at 115 km/h max is bs lol

in that case, just get a regular charger and not be governed by that crap and enjoy the extra space inside lol

will keep an eye out for anything that i see... i was hoping to grab a stang 5.0 for a week in the summer to take out to BC :(

EK69
05-27-2014, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
the limited speed is thanks to the ford mykey.... check the spare tire well for the admin key :devil:

https://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130703215529AAllqNa

i hope this still applies
anyone have any hookups in calgary to get a mustang 5.0 rental for a week or so on the cheap? :D

genesis0403
05-27-2014, 04:01 PM
I recently rented a Cad ATS for $54 thurs-sun morning. I googled for coupon codes and got a deal for 25% discount and a free upgrade at budget

ercchry
05-27-2014, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by EK69

https://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130703215529AAllqNa

i hope this still applies
anyone have any hookups in calgary to get a mustang 5.0 rental for a week or so on the cheap? :D

yeah, you need the admin key though... so just use the admin key in the ignition and dont screw around with the mykey.... IF the admin key is kicking around the car somewhere

haggis88
06-30-2014, 11:12 PM
So I'm back from T.dot

Mustang GT came with 5000km on the clock, wasn't governed but did have the traction control locked on, no admin key in the trunk

its a rather fun little automobile, and the GPS was rather intuitive, sensing that i had passengers and telling me to use the HOV lanes!

Back seat isn't fun for anyone over 5'5 for anything more than a quick journey, but we knew that going in

Some things not up to par with the rental, but a complaint email to Avis had them addressed quickly with a goodwill gesture refunded to my card.

Would rent again...but possibly try out the Camaro, just to see the difference

ercchry
07-01-2014, 11:33 AM
just need to unplug one of the front wheel speed sensors ;)

MGCM
07-01-2014, 12:06 PM
ive delivered a few camaros to avis, their ok, lacking in power cause no SS is available for rent so your stuck with a V6 powering an overweight car. Id take the Mustang, 5.0L V8 ftw.