PDA

View Full Version : Any granite installers or granite business owners on Beyond?

project240
05-27-2014, 09:34 AM
I have been a woodworker/carpenter for many years and have been thinking about getting into the stone business for quite a while. I just installed granite into my own kitchen including an undermount sink that turned out pretty good.

It's clear to me that I would benefit greatly from seeing/working with someone with experience before jumping in head first.

If there are any granite shop owners or installers on here, I'd love to come "apprentice" with you for a week (at no cost to you, yes, I'll work for free) so I can learn more about the trade.

I no longer live in Calgary, but want to "apprentice" here so I don't step on any toes locally.

Anyways, if you own a stone business, please pm me if this arrangement might work. Exact dates not important, but ideally within the next 6 weeks.

project240
06-04-2014, 06:59 PM
Anybody?

Should also mention that there are probably a number of beyonders who can vouch for my attention to detail and quality of work.

Env-Consultant
06-04-2014, 10:33 PM
I dunno man - you basically put an ad up that says:

Train me in a week (I won't charge you) so I can compete with you.

I get what you're thinking of doing, but.....:dunno:

project240
06-05-2014, 12:54 AM
I don't live in Calgary (not wanting to open a shop down the street) and don't want to quit my current job until I have some actual real world experience to find out if this is for me or not.

I thought it is a fair offer... I suppose if I wanted to I could just apply (numerous shops hiring) actually get paid for my time, but only stay for a week.

Again, just looking for some real world experience to determine whether or not it is something I'd like to pursue.

Fair, no?

ExtraSlow
06-05-2014, 06:29 AM
It's also a bit of an insult to these skilled tradesmen that you think you could pick up most of thier knowledge in one week.

project240
06-05-2014, 08:40 AM
What would you do instead? Apply and then quit after a week if you didn't like it? I'm pretty sure it's the direction I want to go, but again, I don't want to quit my current job until I know for sure.

I thought offering this would be more fair as I will need to take a week of holidays for this. Not hoping to learn everything, just hoping to see enough so I can determine if it's what I want to work towards FT.

Tik-Tok
06-05-2014, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by project240
What would you do instead? Apply and then quit after a week if you didn't like it?

That's kind of how changing jobs works in 99.999999% of the world.

pheoxs
06-05-2014, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by project240
What would you do instead? Apply and then quit after a week if you didn't like it? I'm pretty sure it's the direction I want to go, but again, I don't want to quit my current job until I know for sure.

I thought offering this would be more fair as I will need to take a week of holidays for this. Not hoping to learn everything, just hoping to see enough so I can determine if it's what I want to work towards FT.

I would've suggested wording it a bit better. I am considering a career as a granite installer and would like to shadow someone for the week and can with heavy lifting and cleaning up, whatever needs to be done. I just want to see if this is right for me before applying at places and starting it as a career.

Instead of, hey I did it once and figure I can do this, want to watch you work for a week so I can open a competing business elsewhere.

FraserB
06-05-2014, 09:11 AM
Yeah, word it as a job shadowing thing and reach out to businesses. Probably get a much better reception.

InRich
06-05-2014, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by pheoxs

I would've suggested wording it a bit better. I am considering a career as a granite installer and would like to shadow someone for the week and can with heavy lifting and cleaning up, whatever needs to be done. I just want to see if this is right for me before applying at places and starting it as a career.

Instead of, hey I did it once and figure I can do this, want to watch you work for a week so I can open a competing business elsewhere.

I know eh... whata joke this thread is.

Hey OP I heard Home Depot is hiring...

project240
06-05-2014, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
Yeah, word it as a job shadowing thing and reach out to businesses. Probably get a much better reception.

I guess I could have worded it differently, but that is essentially what I am asking for. I know a lot of my skills/tools as a woodworker are very similar and translate over, but easier to determine after spending some time with other guys with experience.

When I mentioned I had installed my own kitchen, I was hoping that would allow an owner to realize I have some knowledge and won't cost them money coming in to watch them work/help out, not to come across as I've done it once, I'm pretty much a pro.

Again, I thought my offer could be mutually beneficial. After rereading my initial post, I can see how it sounds like I want to work with someone and open a business, which isn't what I intended.

Anyways, I appreciate the honest feedback and will look into an alternative approach.

Sugarphreak
06-06-2014, 11:58 AM