PDA

View Full Version : How do you switch back from nightshifts?

16hypen3sp
05-27-2014, 10:06 AM
I know beyond has a lot of office workers that work the normal hours of the day.
But for those of you who do shift work, how do you do your switch back to normal days.

My current schedule is 7 days on/7 days off, 7 nights on/7 days off.

The way I attempt to switch back to a normal routine may not be working the best. I just work all night, go home and force myself to stay awake until around 7pm. It makes for one hell of a long ass day. I don't really want to sleep because I'll just waste the day away and be up all night.

What do you guys do?

I have worked shift work ever since high school and it has never bothered me this much. Maybe I'm just getting old.

LadyLuck
05-27-2014, 10:57 AM
Yikes, thats pretty brutal to do 7 days straight of nightshifts.
I work 4on/4off 2day shifts then a nice long change into 2 night shifts. The 7PM to 7AM are a pain but I usually just have a bit of nap when i come home and get up around 11ish and hit the gym. Maybe squeeze in a 30 min nap somewhere throughout the day if I'm not out and about.

We do our 4 days straight of 6PM-6AM shifts and again, same thing, dont sleep too long and try to get to bed at a decent hour instead of staying up till 4AM. If you have trouble sleeping get some ZZZQuil or Melontonin (sp?) I've been taking both to help me sleep on the occasional shift change and it's helped a lot.

Tik-Tok
05-27-2014, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp

What do you guys do?

I have worked shift work ever since high school and it has never bothered me this much. Maybe I'm just getting old.

It does get harder as you get old, lol. My shift is similar to yours, except I do two day shifts, then one night shift, I've been on it for 5 years, and every year seems a little harder than the previous one.

I find the best way is to come home, and sleep for 4-5 hours. That way I'm rested enough to function the rest of the day, but am still tired around 11pm. I also set my phone alarm to go off hourly, in case I fall asleep while watching TV or reading.

seer_claw
05-27-2014, 01:59 PM
I usually get home, have a bit to eat and in bed asap. Sleep until 12 then try to get some exercise in and stay awake until 8pm. Then I'm out, usually gets me back to days without too much problem.

Darkane
05-27-2014, 02:06 PM
My exact rotation too.

How old are you OP?

I get in from shift, sleep 4-5 hours. That night I'm back in bed by 10-11.

I'm not exactly 'myself' the day after nights, but it's not to bad.

16hypen3sp
05-27-2014, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Darkane
My exact rotation too.

How old are you OP?

... 25. LOL. I have a lot of shift work years left to go before retirement.

baygirl
05-27-2014, 03:04 PM
I work 4 on, 3 off. I do what has been mentioned, sleep about 5 hrs when I get home, then I am tired when I go to bed that night. Unfortunately what happens that night is I fall asleep early, then end up waking up super early(~5am) the next morning. Sleeping pills no longer work:(

mr2mike
05-27-2014, 03:18 PM
Got a buddy on this site that will probably chime in.
He said on the transition, he can barely make it to 1pm before falling asleep.

Tik-Tok
05-27-2014, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by baygirl
end up waking up super early(~5am) the next morning. Sleeping pills no longer work:(

Oh yeah, that's a guarantee. Even if I don't go to bed until midnight, I'm still awake at 5am the next day, lol.

Try some scotch, that seems to help me. Or my ultimate sleep combo... muscle relaxers, scotch, and hot tub. :rofl:

brucebanner
05-27-2014, 09:55 PM
I don't do nights often, but when I do, I have a nap like many others mentioned. 3-4 hours is enough to get me into the late evening for a full nights sleep. I'm generally okay after that.

I just did a week of nights 2 weeks ago, personally I slept better than I normally do on my normal day shifts. Anyone else lihe that? I generally only get 5 hours max a night on normal work weeks, on that week of nights I was averaging 7, what a difference haha.

Redlined_8000
05-27-2014, 11:22 PM
Getting off 7 nights can take a few days. It is hard for sure because you just need to constantly cut back on sleep to get back onto days. As I type this I am on 4 hours sleep today ready to go to bed right now lol....

When I get home after night shift at 8am go right to bed and sleep about 3-4 hours, wake up around 11-12. Go grab a timmies and stay up all day. Then try to get to bed around 10-11PM at night. If you are able to sleep all night that is a good sign. Usually I wake up around 2-3am with alot of energy and cant sleep... Try to set your alarm somewhat early for the next day (8am??) and then stay up all day again and repeat. You need to experiment with your amount of sleep and figure out what works best for you.

Also there is some mixed feedback but Melatonin can help get you back on days faster and easier. I sometimes take about 9mg before bed to make sure I sleep the full night and wake up early rested. If you want do try it get the 3mg size dose so you can vary it. Some guys go nuts on it and it can get dependent so dont over do it and only use it if you need.

msommers
05-27-2014, 11:54 PM
Melatonin is the bomb. I feel kind of groggy when I get up on the initial day or two but once I'm in night mode or switching off of nights I stop taking it.

My shift is 7-7. For nights the first one sucks, so much. Right to bed at 7, have a melatonin and KO. Usually make it to 11 or noon and I'm up. Eat, stay up for a few hours and then sleep for 2-3 hours before shift change. Rinse and repeat. I find an hour nap before shift change anyways gives me more energy. The key I find is not sleeping all afternoon so when 7 rolls around I'm bagged and ready for bed without the help of melatonin.

Some guys like nights. Usually things are more chill, quieter and you get the afternoon to do stuff, go into town, etc. Personally, I can't stand it. Whole new level of respect for emergency workers on more erradic day/night shifts than I am.

01RedDX
05-28-2014, 01:48 AM

Darkane
05-28-2014, 08:59 AM
My biggest Rule of night shifts: Don't feel sorry for yourself!

One of my good friends is a cop and man oh man you know he's on nights. Whines like a bitch :rofl:

Redlined and I do the same thing. If we get off the same day we'll grab timmies and play Mindless GT6 for hours lol.

No to productive the first day off.

Redlined_8000
05-28-2014, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by msommers
Melatonin is the bomb. I feel kind of groggy when I get up on the initial day or two but once I'm in night mode or switching off of nights I stop taking it.

My shift is 7-7. For nights the first one sucks, so much. Right to bed at 7, have a melatonin and KO. Usually make it to 11 or noon and I'm up. Eat, stay up for a few hours and then sleep for 2-3 hours before shift change. Rinse and repeat. I find an hour nap before shift change anyways gives me more energy. The key I find is not sleeping all afternoon so when 7 rolls around I'm bagged and ready for bed without the help of melatonin.

Some guys like nights. Usually things are more chill, quieter and you get the afternoon to do stuff, go into town, etc. Personally, I can't stand it. Whole new level of respect for emergency workers on more erradic day/night shifts than I am.

That is interesting I haven't heard of people who do 2 naps like that after night shift. Usually I am able to sleep from 8am till 3-4pm straight. Lol. My body is fairly trained however. Melatonin when you. Get home from nightshift is also odd. Usually I am so tired when I get off shift falling asleep is no problem. But everyone is different so do what works for you.

Also I am not sure if that means you take melatonin after every nightshift to get to bed? That is alot. You shouldn't really need it to fall asleep after a night shift. Melatonin should be used as an aid to help get back onto day shift. This is when it will be the most helpful. In my experience anyway. Again everyone is different. .

Unknown303
05-28-2014, 03:58 PM
I usually use the day leading into my nights to adjust. I get up at my normal time of 7am or so then stay up all day, work my shift and then I'm usually home and in bed by 7am the next day. So I'm up pretty much 24 hours for the first shift but after that I don't have any issues getting to sleep when I get home.

I just got off a my last night shift today and went to sleep at 7am and was up at 10am though ( The life of a dad) then the wife and kids left the house and I grabbed some more sleep from 11 - 2.