PDA

View Full Version : Electrician for ceiling electrical box & HDMI cable

b_t
05-27-2014, 10:18 AM
Recommendations for a good electrician, anyone?

My current house (rental) had a projector wired in to the ceiling with an electrical box and an HDMI cable, so I could ceiling mount a projector without having any cables hanging down. After getting it all set up with a 120" screen, I am never going back to a TV for my main screen.

My new house (finally purchased) has an even better light controlled space in the basement so the projector setup will look sick, but it is not wired up for a ceiling mount projector and having one sitting on a table is a pain in the ass.

I need to get an electrical box installed and have an HDMI cable fished through to the wall to run from my receiver to where the projector is going to be mounted. It is a fully finished basement with a solid ceiling (not T-bar or whatever). Anyone have a similar operation done before? What was the cost, who did you use?

If he would mount the projector & screen that'd be a bonus but I can do those myself. I don't really need a specialized AV installer.

sneek
05-27-2014, 10:31 AM
I'm not sure if they can help you, but I'd be willing to bet the guys at Cohen Media at least know who to call.

http://www.cohenmedia.ca/index.html

rage2
05-27-2014, 10:45 AM
Me and most of my friends uses www.phisystems.ca to do wiring. At Kenny's house, which was fully developed, they droped CAT5 in every room. It's fun to watch them cut up the house to get the wires through, but once it's done, everything is patched up nicely and matches perfectly.

ExtraSlow
05-27-2014, 10:57 AM
It's also worth fishing in a pair of Cat6 while you are at it. That is decent future-proofing.

b_t
05-27-2014, 11:17 AM
Cat6 to the projector? Or get the whole house done hard-wired? I hate wireless as much as the next guy but I gotta buy furniture and stuff too.

I might just get the HDMI pulled through a conduit so it is easy to replace/upgrade the cable in the future.

ExtraSlow
05-27-2014, 11:45 AM
I was meaning to the projector. HDMI cables are actually pretty fragile, especially the connectors. A conduit is another good option.

spike98
05-27-2014, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by b_t
Cat6 to the projector? Or get the whole house done hard-wired? I hate wireless as much as the next guy but I gotta buy furniture and stuff too.

I might just get the HDMI pulled through a conduit so it is easy to replace/upgrade the cable in the future.

Two Cat5e or One Cat 6 can transmit HDMI and 100baseT ethernet.

Look up HDbaseT.