PDA

View Full Version : revving cars / bikes

BeyondNewB
05-27-2014, 12:56 PM
Does revving your car or bike damage the motor?
I always see people in sports cars / sport bikes/ hot rods rev their motors while in park especially down 17thave in the summer..

Does this do something to the motor? Prime it, before driving?
Just showing off how looud their car is?

serious question

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-27-2014, 01:10 PM
It's not a great idea on a cold engine that's for sure.

Most people on 17th are probably doing it for attention.

Kloubek
05-27-2014, 01:14 PM
Agreed - a cold engine doesn't have the oil thin enough to be pumped to all the required areas.

But when warm, there should be no harm in revving as long as you're not leaving it on redline or something stupid like that.

Masked Bandit
05-27-2014, 01:16 PM
99 / 100 it is purely for the sound.

n1zm0
05-27-2014, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
It's not a great idea on a cold engine that's for sure.

Most people on 17th are probably doing it for attention.

whoa a serious answer right off the bat :D

edit quick story I just remembered:
I remember in the mid 2000s, we were on 17th at the Ship and this guy in an E46 M3 was going up and down in first gear, had an aftermarket exhaust too, so he stops at the lights there near the Shell, revving and revving, a girl yells 'nice car babe' he revs it again and says 'want a ride?' with his techno music blasting, she yells back 'not with that dealer plate on the back' light changed, embarassment ensued, didn't come back down that part of 17th for the next hour or so.

bjstare
05-27-2014, 01:35 PM
^Reminds me of the douche that was driving the Ferrari 360 on 17th a bunch last summer. I've seen (what I'm pretty sure) is the same asshole repping a Conti GT Coupe strut edition. He frequents Roosevelt.

lilmira
05-27-2014, 01:36 PM
Don't forget to do some burnout to prime the tires, it's very important if you live your life a 1/4 mile at a time.

Sugarphreak
05-27-2014, 01:49 PM

xnvy
05-27-2014, 02:07 PM
^I can't believe something like that exists. Much less that people bought it. That's hideous. :barf:

I remember last year this guy was cruising Elizabeth street in Okotoks revving whatever car he had, it was a multicoloured S-chassis that looked pretty gross, I don't know what year he was. This guy in a parked GTR hollered something at him and I remember the guy in the S-chassis doing his best to just slink away unseen.

Sugarphreak
05-27-2014, 02:15 PM

Masked Bandit
05-27-2014, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Whenever I hear stories about people being douchebags on popular strips I always remember back a few years when I was sitting on the patio with some friends getting a little wasted and people watching. There was this guy in a Kia Rio “Tuner Edition” complete with the fake hood scoop, silly spoiler and blingy 15” rims:

(Looks like this stock)
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/3311/3201/8276600001_large.jpg

He was really playing the winner reving and going back and forth down the strip over and over. We were having a good laugh at his expense, then the next time he drove by my wife drunkenly yells out “HEY….. NICE KIA!!”. He just shrunk down into his seat, it was like you could actually watch his ego deflate :rofl:

He didn’t drive by anymore after that, haha

That's a real car, factory???

bourge73
05-27-2014, 04:41 PM
^^Unfortunately yes, yes it is in all its awfulness

ercchry
05-27-2014, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by bourge73
^^Unfortunately yes, yes it is in all its awfulness

its basically just a mini sti...

...right?! :rofl:

Mista Bob
05-27-2014, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

its basically just a mini sti...

...right?! :rofl:

IIRC they even offered it in a blue very similar to the STi's Rally Blue (mica blue?)
Think they called it race blue or something rather

Sugarphreak
05-27-2014, 05:54 PM

Graham_A_M
05-27-2014, 06:11 PM
Wow, I cant honestly believe some people are so deprived of attention, they feel their "oh please PLEASE look at me car/bike" doesn't garnish enough attention, so they have to rev their engine for whatever else they can get. Little do they know, what attention they ARE getting while doing that, are people wondering WTF is wrong with that idiot? not so much "wow that dude has a nice car/bike" that they think their thinking. :nut:

Is it hard on the engine? VERY. Its not at all uncommon for idiots on their bikes to drop valves as they bounce off the rev limiter in neutral, or with the clutch pulled in. Most engines can live in the higher RPM's quite well, but only if there is a load on the engine (as in while driving/riding). Just revving it without a load on it, or leave alone when its cold (REALLY BAD IDEA) can drop valves and a myriad of other issues. (if you dont believe me, feel free to call up any bike shop or otherwise, and ask how often this happens to the idiots that rev up their bikes close to redline while in neutral, its a staggering lot, the amount of engine failures due to this is very noticeable).

Just dont do it. :banghead: :banghead:

But then again, dont tell the idiots that do this, since I may as well of written that in Latin, since that wont make the least bit of sense to them.

never
05-28-2014, 12:12 AM
You should occasionally rev your car to keep the muffler bearings lubricated.

sidewaysD
05-28-2014, 12:45 PM
^^ Exaclty.

You need to rev it so the muffler bearings are properly lubricated.

Also Reving at a stop in a Honda, engages the Vtec system (Pre-Vtec).

Reving a rotary-engine at a stop helps with driver alertness to his/her apex seal validation. Every rotary driver test's his apex seal fitment by reving the engine. If the apex seal flys out... it's going to be a bad day.

beyond_ban
05-28-2014, 12:53 PM
Pre vtec is very powerful, and should only be used by the most experienced drivers. I hope the younger kids on this board don't all go try it out now, I'm sure a few of them won't be able to handle the power.

DeleriousZ
05-28-2014, 02:11 PM
Some cars are cool when they rev in neutral... starts at 18s

?v=lckXqMU50J4

sidewaysD
05-28-2014, 02:15 PM
^I can see it's well equipped with an Anti-tailgating system.