PDA

View Full Version : Spotted: License plate renewal stickers

TomcoPDR
05-28-2014, 02:50 AM
Who's gonna inform this guy how to apply yearly renewal stickers? Older Asian dude, looks like Mr. Miyagi. I'd say he'll run out of clean white spots by year 2018

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/Past%20repairs/Random/c15009cf-2e94-47f4-8d1c-43b9bb069cac_zpsb1f2bc72.jpg~original

ExtraSlow
05-28-2014, 06:39 AM
Funny, I saw a dude in a corolla last night with similar thinking. I could tell he's had the plate for at least seven years, they covered the whole bottom and most of the top of the plate.

On a related note, I know they say not to remove your old stickers, but how deep can you make that pile before it's an issue? I've had my current plate for a long time. I do get 2 year renewals now, so half as many stickers.

jwslam
05-28-2014, 06:51 AM
I see those all the time... :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

derail:
do you folks peel off the old ones? I swear mine's a few MM thick haha

beyond_ban
05-28-2014, 07:14 AM
I saw that exact same vehicle yesterday haha, didn't get a look at the driver but you've confirmed my suspicions.

n1zm0
05-28-2014, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by jwslam
derail:
do you folks peel off the old ones? I swear mine's a few MM thick haha

Only for the specific reason of it always has been a pet peeve of mine when I got a plate and the clerk stuck the year sticker on the bottom right instead of the bottom left, I always thought that spot should be reserved for 'fleet' or 'farm' stickers. But if they do that and the year is up I rip it off the bottom right cause I'm weird :/

lilmira
05-28-2014, 07:48 AM
You think the ability to follow a simple instruction is required to operate a vehicle in public.

nickyh
05-28-2014, 07:54 AM
Hey, at least he has current tags, I see so many people driving around on expired tags now. It's almost become a game of mine.

mr2mike
05-28-2014, 08:01 AM
The # of people I see with the tag on the wrong side is amazing.

EK69
05-28-2014, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike
The # of people I see with the tag on the wrong side is amazing.
Doesn't it tell u to alternate sides every year between the bottom two slots :confused: :dunno:

know1edge
05-28-2014, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by EK69

Doesn't it tell u to alternate sides every year between the bottom two slots :confused: :dunno:

even on the left, odd on the right

Tik-Tok
05-28-2014, 08:23 AM

It does, apparently half of the posters in this thread are doing it wrong, and complaining about people who do it correctly :rofl:

EK69
05-28-2014, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by know1edge

even on the left, odd on the right

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

It does, apparently half of the posters in this thread are doing it wrong, and complaining about people who do it correctly :rofl:

Lol that's what I was thinking too :nut: :banghead: :english:
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=344852

lilmira
05-28-2014, 08:42 AM

Lol that's what I was thinking too :nut: :banghead: :english:
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=344852

Felt like a glitch in the matrix.

thager
05-28-2014, 09:22 AM
haha no more stickers out here in sask

ercchry
05-28-2014, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by lilmira
You think the ability to follow a simple instruction is required to operate a vehicle in public.

:werd:

Originally posted by n1zm0

Only for the specific reason of it always has been a pet peeve of mine when I got a plate and the clerk stuck the year sticker on the bottom right instead of the bottom left, I always thought that spot should be reserved for 'fleet' or 'farm' stickers. But if they do that and the year is up I rip it off the bottom right cause I'm weird :/

....cough :nut:

n1zm0
05-28-2014, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
....cough :nut:

:poosie: fleet/farm stickers belong in the bottom right! Down with what the system says :D

nzwasp
05-28-2014, 09:49 AM
Atleast he still has his month sticker showing. It really irks me to see people with a year sticker in every single corner and no month sticker. I think police should be fining people everytime they see a car infront with no month sticker.

Mibz
05-28-2014, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by nzwasp
Atleast he still has his month sticker showing. It really irks me to see people with a year sticker in every single corner and no month sticker. I think police should be fining people everytime they see a car infront with no month sticker. They probably do. Or at least tell them how to do it properly.

roopi
05-28-2014, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by thager
haha no more stickers out here in sask

What does Sask do for yearly registrations?

guessboi
05-28-2014, 10:13 AM
I see a pattern here, the 2016 sticker is going right on top of 'Apr'. :bigpimp:

codetrap
05-28-2014, 10:13 AM
I've had the same plate since 1993... two years ago I finally cleaned off all the old stickers.

rage2
05-28-2014, 10:29 AM
What's the ticket for not having the right sticker, but having up to date registration?

I've never applied the stickers, my expiry is in the middle of winter, and I don't want to get my hands dirty lol. Never been pulled over/ticketed for it.

Disoblige
05-28-2014, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by rage2
What's the ticket for not having the right sticker, but having up to date registration?

I've never applied the stickers, my expiry is in the middle of winter, and I don't want to get my hands dirty lol. Never been pulled over/ticketed for it.
If there was a level above first world problem, this would be it :rofl:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/alberta-traffic-fines-and-demerits/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70789&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=5

Originally posted by Driver16
I got stopped for not having the registration '10' sticker on my plate. I have a valid registration and had the sticker in my car, but forgot to put it in. Yes, I've had in for almost a year, so my bad. However, $230 fine? I stuck it on as soon as he issued me the ticket. Any way out of this?

88CRX
05-28-2014, 10:48 AM
Just had this argument with a friend the other day.... the year stickers are NOT suppose to alternate from side to side.

rage2
05-28-2014, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX
Just had this argument with a friend the other day.... the year stickers are NOT suppose to alternate from side to side.
It used to be. Even the instructions change year to year. I believe the change was made a few years back to no alternating.

kenny
05-28-2014, 11:06 AM

It used to be. Even the instructions change year to year. I believe the change was made a few years back to no alternating.

I remember the instructions alternate every year, haven't seen it stay to one side yet so must be a recent change.

Alberta getting ready to implement Toll Lane approval stickers on bottom left? :dunno:

lilmira
05-28-2014, 11:08 AM
I dunno, I just put it on wherever it shows. If it says put it on my left butt cheek I'll do so. :nut:

ercchry
05-28-2014, 11:09 AM

it has always told you what corner to stick it in... but it also still would show a different corner every year

Tik-Tok
05-28-2014, 11:16 AM

Hold onto that photo, and report back when you re-register.

Unless the change was made in the past year, the instructions have always switched sides.

rage2
05-28-2014, 11:52 AM
Hold onto that photo, and report back when you re-register.

Unless the change was made in the past year, the instructions have always switched sides.
Here's the old ones that shows alternating.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2495/3824029567_7af11d975d_z.jpg

Tik-Tok
05-28-2014, 11:56 AM

Here's the old ones that shows alternating.

That's too old, hahah.

The switching sides instructions doesn't tell you specifically to switch sides every year, it just shows which side to put it on for that year, and looks exactly like 88CRX's photo, only the opposite side is blacked out.

ercchry
05-28-2014, 12:03 PM

That's too old, hahah.

The switching sides instructions doesn't tell you specifically to switch sides every year, it just shows which side to put it on for that year, and looks exactly like 88CRX's photo, only the opposite side is blacked out.

:werd:

this thread is a prime example of why they had to change it :rofl:

rage2
05-28-2014, 12:06 PM
That's too old, hahah.

Yea, here's my 2014 expiry sticker instructions. Opposite of 88CRX's. I hope he does the right thing and shows this to the person he's arguing with and admit he was wrong. :rofl:

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/C3FB933D-FF6D-432E-A2B3-FD3F4B8F01C7_zpsjv6pe9w4.jpg

The registry handed me supplementary instructions stating to put it on the right side tho, even though even years are on the left and odd years are on the right. I asked them why, and they told me that they're not alternating yearly anymore. Unfortunately, I threw that piece of paper out.

Tik-Tok
05-28-2014, 12:11 PM
This was particularly frustrating to me because I had all my registrations, with the little piece of paper that had the sticker on it stapled to them from the past 6+ years, but just threw them out last month when I switched insurance companies.

Thanks for the prooove Rage! :rofl:

rage2
05-28-2014, 12:18 PM
I renewed my registration in 2012, and got the 2014 sticker with these and the supplementary instructions asking to put the 2014 sticker on the right side. I dunno if the registry I went to was just dumb or what, but that's the only source I have for the halt to alternating sides. Really wish I didn't toss it (I had no intention of installing the damn sticker lol) so I can't show any prooove.

I guess for us to figure out if they've stopped alternating, we need someone to renew their registration for 2 years this year so they can get a 2016 sticker and see if the instructions point to the left (still alternating) or right (no more alternating). Or one of the beyonders that work at the registry can post a picture of the 2016 sticker with instructions.

What a stupid thread. :rofl:

ercchry
05-28-2014, 12:38 PM
paging dannie.... :rofl:

ExtraSlow
05-28-2014, 01:39 PM
rage, you are like the calgary version of Steve Jobs driving around Cupertino without his license plate.

thager
05-28-2014, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by roopi

What does Sask do for yearly registrations?
we just go in to the registry office and renew , we can even renew online, its still govt crown corp out here
im paying $85 a month for ins and reg in my 2000 chev blazer

rage2
05-28-2014, 01:47 PM
The only reason the stickers exists is so that cops can see quickly who's expired. Back in the day, cops have to radio in to verify if a registration is up to date, very time consuming, so stickers made it quicker. People used to print fake stickers to not pay registration, and actually get away with it.

Today, cops can punch in the plate into the computer and get instant update of registration status, so the stickers really are redundant.

88CRX
05-28-2014, 03:13 PM

Yea, here's my 2014 expiry sticker instructions. Opposite of 88CRX's. I hope he does the right thing and shows this to the person he's arguing with and admit he was wrong. :rofl:

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/C3FB933D-FF6D-432E-A2B3-FD3F4B8F01C7_zpsjv6pe9w4.jpg

The registry handed me supplementary instructions stating to put it on the right side tho, even though even years are on the left and odd years are on the right. I asked them why, and they told me that they're not alternating yearly anymore. Unfortunately, I threw that piece of paper out.

So.....

Are you saying the registry instructions will change every year? Or that they've axed the whole alternating side as per their conversation with you?

Basically I just need to know if I'm right or wrong. LOL

rage2
05-28-2014, 03:16 PM
So.....

Are you saying the registry instructions will change every year? Or that they've axed the whole alternating side as per their conversation with you?

Basically I just need to know if I'm right or wrong. LOL
The instructions change every year. They *MAY* have stopped alternating as of the 2014 stickers, but that's based on my experience at a registry a year and a half ago, which may or may not be wrong. For now, I would assume that the registry I went to was wrong (or my memory is fucked), and that it's still alternating.

Someone go get a 2016 sticker and find out.

jwslam
05-28-2014, 03:53 PM
The instructions change every year. They *MAY* have stopped alternating as of the 2014 stickers, but that's based on my experience at a registry a year and a half ago, which may or may not be wrong. For now, I would assume that the registry I went to was wrong (or my memory is fucked), and that it's still alternating.
When I went in last year I got one of my plates on 1yr and one on 2yr. I really hope I kept the instructions so I can go pic that when I get home.

flipstah
05-28-2014, 03:56 PM
For 2015, the instructions told me to put it on the right corner.

rage2
05-28-2014, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
For 2015, the instructions told me to put it on the right corner.
Yea, that's odd year, so right is ummm, right!

That's why we need to see the 2016 ones, because it should be on the left if it's still alternating.

speedog
05-28-2014, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
I've had the same plate since 1993... two years ago I finally cleaned off all the old stickers.

Hah, 1984 here. Down to galvanized metal in multiple places, removed the stickers couple times already, still have the front plate hanging in the garage with no stickers. It's quite amazing how much heavier those 30 year old plates are compared to the modern ones.

EK69
05-28-2014, 05:36 PM
I remember distinctly for the last two years alternating sides according to the instructions provided by the registry. As for proof, I have none :rofl:

Cos
05-28-2014, 05:47 PM

Black Gts
05-29-2014, 08:19 AM

clem24
05-30-2014, 11:44 AM
So.. There's a possible fine for not putting on the stickers. Is there a fine for putting them in the wrong location?

Stealth22
05-30-2014, 01:12 PM

Yea, that's odd year, so right is ummm, right!

That's why we need to see the 2016 ones, because it should be on the left if it's still alternating.

I always just follow the instructions on the little sheet of paper they staple to the sticker.

We just renewed our cars until 2016...the instructions said to put the sticker on the left, which I did. Unfortunately I threw the little paper slips out. I don't remember getting any supplementary instructions either.

rage2
05-30-2014, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Stealth22
We just renewed our cars until 2016...the instructions said to put the sticker on the left, which I did. Unfortunately I threw the little paper slips out. I don't remember getting any supplementary instructions either.
If that's the case then it's still alternating. 88CRX is wrong.

16hypen3sp
05-30-2014, 01:40 PM
Hmm interesting... I guess I'm not too good at reading instructions.

I always put my stickers on top of the old one. So when I get a new plate. Registry puts the stickers (Month/Year) on for you. Next year comes around, I renew, year sticker goes on top of the preceding year. Regardless if its in the left or right corner.

I can't see it being an issue at all, just as long as its on there.