PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Mower?

eblend
05-28-2014, 10:10 AM
Hey guys,

Have been using an old hand me down electric mower for a while and thought I preferred it over a gas mowers I used to use since its basically very simple and never run out of power, but recently been thinking that perhaps gas is the way to go.

My current electric is old and is only 4HP, and struggles with damp grass. I am thinking of getting a new one, and looking to see what people recommend. Should I stay electric and just get something more powerful, go cordless, or go gas? Is there any maintenance required for gas mowers that I need to know about, and how long do they last between refills and all that good stuff.

Also brand recommendations and things to be on a lookout for would be greatly appreciated. I may suffer through this year with my old one still and buy in the fall when the prices drop.

nzwasp
05-28-2014, 10:37 AM
I was looking at this on the weekend thinking of making a thread because I too have an electric that I hate carrying the cord around.

But then I found this older thread:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/372642/lawn-mowers-what-to-get/

and it seems pretty informative.

bjstare
05-28-2014, 10:50 AM
I have a Cub Cadet that I got at Home Depot. Was a floor model so I got a ~$300 discount and all I had to do was spend $10 to buy a replacement gas cap. It's been great in terms of reliability and starting after the winter, never done an oil change on it.

If your budget is higher, my dad has one of these. He's got lots of good things to say about it.
http://powerequipment.honda.ca/lawnmowers/premium-residential-hrx/hrx217hzc

jacky4566
05-28-2014, 10:51 AM
Reel mower where its at.
Same price as gas but no maintanence. Lasts forever.
Only slightly more work to use it. It weighs less but your also driving the blades.
Best of all its quieter.

ExtraSlow
05-28-2014, 10:53 AM
I had a reel mower, and since I don't cut often, I found the blades jammed on thicker grass.
Loving my corded electric for my tiny lawn. Zero maintenence is where it's at.

eblend
05-28-2014, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by jacky4566
Reel mower where its at.
Same price as gas but no maintanence. Lasts forever.
Only slightly more work to use it. It weighs less but your also driving the blades.
Best of all its quieter.

I had a reel mower as well, and gave it to my parents. I don't know, it seems cool and all, but the clipping just lay on your grass and yellow, making the lawn look even more crappy than it already is. I don't rake as that's too much work

firebane
05-28-2014, 11:49 AM
Get a good and newer electric mower.

I just went through this myself and came to the conclusion the maintenance and cost of running a gas mower for the little amount of grass I cut wasn't worth it.

I picked up a practically brand new 12a 19" mower from Kijiji for $75 and it works just fine.

MalibuStacy
05-28-2014, 01:30 PM
I used to work at a lawn mower repair shop so there are a couple things I can offer advice on.

Firstly, don't cut on wet grass, no need to put more stress on a motor or engine then need be.

Gas mowers need maintenance and "tuning" every two years or so, sometimes more depending on how they are cared for. Typically these small four stroke motors need new sparkplugs, and a carburetor cleaning every couple of years. Blade sharpening obviously, air filters. If you have ever worked on a car these things are all super easy to do, or you could go to a shop...

Electrics obviously require little to no maintenance outside of having the blade sharpened occasionally. As to whether to get a corded or battery powered one, that is purely up to preference. Do you want a cord or not; cause the batteries are pretty good now at lasting throughout the whole lawn, but they are heavier.

Reel mowers are cheaper, quieter, and more eco friendly then the other two. Require slightly more maintenance then the electric, more blades. You also have to make sure the cutting surface is set properly, sometime it is too close to the blades causing it to jam or bind, and if its too far from the blades it won't cut effectively. You can also buy catch baskets for them if you don't want them to drop the clippings.

Myself I always say it depends on what kind of job you are doing. Big lawn with hills, go gas. Flat lawn of medium to large size, either reel or electric. We have a gas at our house because of the hill in the front lawn, but I still like the reel style better, just cause they are cheap and more "green".

eblend
05-28-2014, 02:01 PM
Cool thanks for all the info. Are there any mowers with a built in side cutter or anything like that, would be cool to cut the lawn by the grass and not have to bust out a weed wacker just to get the last tall grass right next to the fence, kind of like a Zamboni with it's side brush

MalibuStacy
05-28-2014, 02:11 PM
There is... but it is kind of like comparing a multi tool to a real jack knife. A multi tool can do allot of things but as a knife it is not as good as a traditional jack knife. Same goes for mowers which also have an edge trimmer, it can do both but you never get as good edges with a mower with an added trimmer, as opposed to a trimmer by itself.

Home depot used to sell a combo mower which was electric, but you would have to check yourself

Dave P
05-28-2014, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by MalibuStacy
Gas mowers need maintenance and "tuning" every two years or so, sometimes more depending on how they are cared for. Typically these small four stroke motors need new sparkplugs, and a carburetor cleaning every couple of years. Blade sharpening obviously, air filters. If you have ever worked on a car these things are all super easy to do, or you could go to a shop...

This, I am using a Honda Gas mower that my dad bought in 1987. Every Year it gets a new filter, and oil change. Every other year a carb cleaning, and new spark plug. Runs as strong today as it did over 20 years ago.

Even have the original bill of sale, manual, and warranty haha.

BigDL
05-28-2014, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Dave P

This, I am using a Honda Gas mower that my dad bought in 1987. Every Year it gets a new filter, and oil change. Every other year a carb cleaning, and new spark plug. Runs as strong today as it did over 20 years ago.

Even have the original bill of sale, manual, and warranty haha.

I bought a cheap HR214 last year for my new house for when ever I get grass, found it on kijiji for cheap.

Where did you get your parts from? I need to do some maintenance and look for a replacement bag as well for when ever mine rips further.

carson blocks
05-28-2014, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Dave P

This, I am using a Honda Gas mower that my dad bought in 1987

$557 in 1987 dollars. That must have been an insane price for a regular lawnmower back then ($1100-$1200 in today's dollars), but I guess if it's lasted 26-27 years so far, it turned out to be a good investment.

MalibuStacy
05-28-2014, 10:07 PM
I can say from experience, those old Honda mowers are bullet proof if maintained...

Dave P
05-29-2014, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by BigDL

I bought a cheap HR214 last year for my new house for when ever I get grass, found it on kijiji for cheap.

Where did you get your parts from?

Usually just goto Rocky Honda

masoncgy
05-29-2014, 08:22 AM
I have an old school 1978 Lawn Boy 21" side-bag that runs like a top and cuts through anything... and there's nothing sweeter than the smell of two-stroke exhaust and freshly cut grass... ;)

eblend
06-06-2014, 07:33 AM
Ended up picking up this guy, was on sale ($100 off) at home depot for $299.99 and then got 10% off on top of that since the box was opened (but the unit never taken out of the box and all brand new)

http://www.eblend.ca/photos/i-XSDdRxW/0/X3/i-XSDdRxW-X3.jpg

Lex350
06-06-2014, 09:00 AM
I've owned only one mower since I've owned a house (Since 1992)..a gas powered Lawn Boy. It is still going strong.

Seth1968
06-06-2014, 09:24 AM
I bought my gas mower (Briggs & Stratton engine) about a decade ago. My lot is giant at 60' X 120'.

Other than cleaning the air filter each season, and having to replace the spark plug once, I've done nothing to it. I've never even sharpened the blade. After priming, it still starts on the first pull and runs flawlessly.

BTW- I've often read that you should use fresh gas each season, but I've never done that either (fuck I'm lazy lol), and both my trimmer and mower are fine:dunno:

eblend
06-06-2014, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Seth1968

BTW- I've often read that you should use fresh gas each season, but I've never done that either (fuck I'm lazy lol), and both my trimmer and mower are fine:dunno:

I bought a 10L jug for gas, and I figure that at the end of the season I will dump whatever is left over into the car and buy new gas for the following year. Not interested in adding gas stabilizers and all that.

The_Penguin
06-06-2014, 11:07 AM

I've heard that too. 6 year old gas sits in the shed over the winter, Mower/Trimmer/Pressure washer all start and run fine on it. Almost out, so fresh gas soon :)

eblend
06-06-2014, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by The_Penguin

I've heard that too. 6 year old gas sits in the shed over the winter, Mower/Trimmer/Pressure washer all start and run fine on it. Almost out, so fresh gas soon :)

How big is your container? Curious how long 10L would last if i cut grass once a week

The_Penguin
06-06-2014, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by eblend

How big is your container? Curious how long 10L would last if i cut grass once a week

22L. We have pretty small lawns, so I don't use much gas, and don't use the trimmer too often. Just remembered the Pressure Washer (new) uses a different container (no 2 stroke oil) so shouldn't have counted it as starting well on old gas.

Seth1968
06-06-2014, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by The_Penguin

I've heard that too. 6 year old gas sits in the shed over the winter, Mower/Trimmer/Pressure washer all start and run fine on it

I don't even use an antifreeze or a stabilizer and it's all good.

Did you?

nzwasp
06-07-2014, 04:13 PM
I finally got fed up with my old plug in 8 amp 14" blade mower and traded up to the Briggs and stratton that is on sale at rona this weekend. Picked up a open box one for $140. Other than the pain in the arse to change the level it mows the grass at it seems to work great.

The_Penguin
06-07-2014, 04:17 PM

I don't even use an antifreeze or a stabilizer and it's all good.

Did you?

Nope. Antifreeze in the pressure washer so any leftover water doesn't freeze and break something, that's about it.