PDA

View Full Version : What Mobile/Web App do you wish existed?

Little Dragon
05-28-2014, 01:22 PM
Looking to get some inspiration for our final year project that is starting in September. We are 5-7 Software/Computer Engineering students and are interested in making a Mobile and/or Web app to further our understanding in those technologies.

I'm open to any ideas at all, the sky is the limit as to what we can make. We do have some ideas already regarding transit, but we'd like more ideas in case our ideas get rejected.

We'd also be interested in working with a sponsor (making apps for the sponsor) if anyone is interested in mentoring us as we build something for your company.

Let me know, thanks!

faiz999
05-28-2014, 01:31 PM
i want the george constanza aka the i-toilet app. it'd be nice to have if you hang with old people or kids.

desto2para
05-28-2014, 01:55 PM
Cant find a comic book/collector app that lets you track what/when new stuff is coming out, and also track what you have and don't have.

jwslam
05-28-2014, 02:10 PM
real-time Calgary Transit data with GPS to show exactly when it'll come.

Little Dragon
05-28-2014, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

That was one of our ideas, except Calgary Transit is rolling out GPS tracking soon so our idea would get rejected as it would be obsolete.
Unless Calgary Transit allows developers access to the GPS data, that would be neat.

D'z Nutz
05-28-2014, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Little Dragon

That was one of our ideas, except Calgary Transit is rolling out GPS tracking soon so our idea would get rejected as it would be obsolete.
Unless Calgary Transit allows developers access to the GPS data, that would be neat.

I'm willing to bet you'd complete your project far sooner than they would. And it'd probably work in the end too haha

"Gigaaaaantic! Gigaaaaantic! Gigaaaantic! A big big love"

n1zm0
05-28-2014, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by faiz999
i want the george constanza aka the i-toilet app. it'd be nice to have if you hang with old people or kids.

that would be nice for anyone period, include partitioned stalls or private locked facility as search options :rofl:

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
"Gigaaaaantic! Gigaaaaantic! Gigaaaantic! A big big love"

FK sakes do I ever hate that song :banghead:

Graham_A_M
05-28-2014, 04:00 PM
A tim hortons locator. Have all the set addresses already entered, then when you're in proximity to one, or are looking for one, have the phone go off, or send you the GPS route to get there. Kind of like a rendition of the GPS phones already have, but simplified so you dont have to search for the address each time.

Marsh
05-28-2014, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
A tim hortons locator. Have all the set addresses already entered, then when you're in proximity to one, or are looking for one, have the phone go off, or send you the GPS route to get there. Kind of like a rendition of the GPS phones already have, but simplified so you dont have to search for the address each time.

If im not mistaken, that already exists.

civic_stylez
05-28-2014, 05:14 PM
Car wash app.. lets me know what the lineups are like at my favorite wash spots. Weve all been there.. drives by car wash entrance.. "yeah, fuck that noise, dirt mcgirt it is for the next few days..."

know1edge
05-28-2014, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

I want this for CP rail

Graham_A_M
05-28-2014, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Marsh

If im not mistaken, that already exists.

I wouldn't be surprised, but I dont drink Tim's, so I wouldn't know. :dunno:

Plus 1 on that car wash app, bonus points if it also said the payment type, if you could display if there is a debit machine to get coins, if its done on a total time (then pay) system or what, or whatever other features it may have.

Maxt
05-28-2014, 07:47 PM
I could sure use a lug nut torque app , its different for every vehicle I own, and I can't seem to commit the number to memory and I always forget to write it down when I do find it.

AndyL
05-28-2014, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by know1edge

I want this for CP rail

I want this for CN and CP rail!!!

an app that tells you a trains are blocking your path / expected (the bigger runs are scheduled, not shunting, and those short around town runs - but the long going to vancouver runs sure as hell are - not hard to guesstimate (or let a little fuzzy logic / lookup table do the work for the unscheduled ones)).

jwslam
05-29-2014, 05:57 AM
Wallpaper scheduler app: So I don't have to unlock my phone to do things

Examples of capabilities:
-Set the wallpaper to my starbucks barcode from 7am-9am and 1pm-3pm everyday
-Set my wallpaper to my boarding pass for 3 hours immediately prior to my flight; auto changes the end time if my flight gets delayed

benyl
05-29-2014, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Maxt
I could sure use a lug nut torque app , its different for every vehicle I own, and I can't seem to commit the number to memory and I always forget to write it down when I do find it.

After 10 seasonal switch overs, I finally put the torque specs in my "Notes" application.

F150 150lbft
E63 96 lbft
Mom's Caravan 95 lbft

CapnCrunch
05-29-2014, 10:21 AM
How about an app that doesn't let you change lanes unless your signal light is on?

Or an app that gives F150 drivers an electric shock whenever they roam out of their lane.

D'z Nutz
05-29-2014, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Maxt

Originally posted by benyl

After 10 seasonal switch overs, I finally put the torque specs in my "Notes" application.

F150 150lbft
E63 96 lbft
Mom's Caravan 95 lbft

Actually these aren't horrible ideas. Something like a database of car maintenance numbers and values. Just select year/make/model of your car and get a spec page:

- torque
- volume of oil for oil changes
- recommended tire pressure for factory tires
- maintenance intervals
- etc

Sure, you can look it up in your owner's manual, but nobody remembers to do that until after their hands are covered with shit and grease and by then you don't want to be digging through your glove box hahaha

faiz999
05-29-2014, 10:57 AM
another idea would be (maybe this exists)

but since this is a car forum, how about an app that you can take a picture of any car and have the model # displayed, the black book value, google reviews, vital specs, gas type.

i think it'd be cool to take a pic of a nice car or perhaps a car at a used car lot and have all the info at your fingertips immediately.

spike98
05-29-2014, 11:18 AM
A decent +15 app. Seriously the ones available are terrible. Like google maps but for the walkway. I understand it would be VERY time consuming but if done right you could make it a paid app and make some decent money.

Some ideas for the app include:

- Directory Listing of all the shops and restaurants, with contact information and hours
- Navigation by directions to start, then turn by turn in the future. This would allow you to find out how to get to one place from another. Distance should be included so you can get ETA's
- Location of other amenities outside of the +15. For example, timmies, banks, post offices, ect.
- Last and the hardest Location awareness. This would be based on GPS and WIFI signals throughout the +15. You can get good GPS in the bridges and, coupled with phones sensors, use WIFI signal strengths to track you though buildings.

When i first moved here i found navigating the +15 very hard. It was confusing as heck. Some browser based maps were ok but they didn't translate well to mobile so i resorted to writing down directions on a piece of paper....thats right...paper.

Darkane
05-29-2014, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Actually these aren't horrible ideas. Something like a database of car maintenance numbers and values. Just select year/make/model of your car and get a spec page:

- torque
- volume of oil for oil changes
- recommended tire pressure for factory tires
- maintenance intervals
- etc

Sure, you can look it up in your owner's manual, but nobody remembers to do that until after their hands are covered with shit and grease and by then you don't want to be digging through your glove box hahaha

That's a great Idea. Towing capacities, fuel tank volumes etc.

Feruk
05-29-2014, 12:37 PM
Might be a kinda gross and complicated idea, but I think combining sensors and preventative self-health is the future. What's the best way to analyze what is wrong with your insides or if you're eating correctly? Your excretions obviously. The app would take a picture of your poo/pee and use spectroscopy to determine it's consistency. From here, it could determine what's missing (vitamins, nutrients, etc) in your diet and actually suggest ways for you to stay healthy by eating correctly.

Graham_A_M
05-29-2014, 08:19 PM
^ Lol, you cant determine what vitamins you're missing, and what else you do or dont need, by merely taking a pic of your crosby's while at the pool. It has to go in for analysis, nothing short of that.
To my knowledge, there are no phone ready sensors you could potentially buy that would read you such details. Basically, the "specimen" would have to go to a lab, no less as of right now.

Cos
05-29-2014, 08:22 PM

Little Dragon
05-29-2014, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Cos
beyond friendly mobile app. LOL

Was thinking about that actually, wonder if Rage/Kenny would approve...

RY213
05-29-2014, 08:52 PM
A good Park Plus app to pay for parking downtown...

CompletelyNumb
06-05-2014, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by RY213
A good Park Plus app to pay for parking downtown...

After parking in Vancouver and using their mobile service, I agree. The city should develop this asap.