PDA

View Full Version : Controlling lawn weeds

nzwasp
05-28-2014, 02:19 PM
Whats the new hotness for dealing with dandelions this year? I've already pulled up prob 150 of the fuckers and edged my lawn around the pavement where most of them seem to grow but I feel like Im trying to empty the ocean with a cup (you pull one out, a week later a new one is growing nearby).

Last year I sprayed some herbicide on the grass the one that attaches to the hose and it didnt really have much effect (the year before I used the same stuff and didnt see any all summer)

project240
05-28-2014, 02:29 PM
We have an acreage, so I could have literally thousands of dandelions, but obviously can't pull out everyone. I sometimes spot spray with a product like weedex for bad areas, but a good natural defense is to set your lawn mower higher. Not only does this help the grass grow better, but it also weeds out the weeds (pun intended). I have our JD set to 3 3/4", but height also depends a bit on what type of grass you have... We have Kentucky Blue... You'll want to cut a bit shorter if you have fescue or ryegrass...

ExtraSlow
05-28-2014, 02:30 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/mutant-dandelions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=354832
I found this par III / Trillion stuff very effective.

EDIT: Also I disagree with yoru fescue comment, some types of fescue do excellently with no mowing at all. Of course, if you have a pile of crabgrass in there, then that's not really an option.

firebane
05-28-2014, 02:35 PM
Dandelions control you not the other way around.

94CoRd
05-28-2014, 02:45 PM
I sprayed with Killex (same active ingredient as Par 3 - 2,4-D) last fall, and I have very few dandelions compared to neighbors. Now i just spot treat with killex or simply pull them out when I see a few pop up.

CapnCrunch
05-28-2014, 02:53 PM
My neighbor is a dandelion farmer and lives upwind, so I've completely given up even trying to control them.

Weapon_R
05-28-2014, 02:56 PM
Par3 or Trillion will kill dandelions and leave your grass unharmed.

iron_man888
05-28-2014, 03:03 PM
I bought a bulk container of Trillion from UFA that I'm willing to part some out if anyone is looking

bigbadboss101
05-28-2014, 03:25 PM
This stuff leave grass unharmed but do they kill plants? Our flower beds have lot of weed. Dandelion and wild grass.

94CoRd
05-28-2014, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101
This stuff leave grass unharmed but do they kill plants? Our flower beds have lot of weed. Dandelion and wild grass.

It will not be good for your flowers or plants. Keep it on the grass, and spray on a non-windy day. You'll need round up for the wild grass.

If you're feeling risky, you could probably spot treat in the flower bed - just don't till the soil for a while, and hope rain doesn't wash your solution into the soil.

Graham_A_M
05-28-2014, 03:56 PM
I sprayed Killex on my parents' lawn, it takes a few days for the dandelions to absorb the herbicide into their system and finally kill it, but it works quite well.
For the stuff we used, we hooked it up to the garden hose, and just applied it that way.

speedog
05-28-2014, 04:00 PM
Killex - did mine a week ago and they're all turning brown and curly. Have my own sprayer and mix a bit more Killex into the water.

JVR1
05-28-2014, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by iron_man888
I bought a bulk container of Trillion from UFA that I'm willing to part some out if anyone is looking

Hook me up :bigpimp:

SKR
05-28-2014, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101

Most chemicals you use will either kill everything, or everything but grass. There are also some that kill grass and nothing else, but I don't imagine you'd find anything like that since the point is to keep grass alive. Also, chemicals that are supposed to be safe for your grass, will fuck it up big time if you give it too much. If your grass starts to turn yellow, water it. It probably wouldn't hurt to put some fertilizer down too.

If you get it on something you don't want to die, water the fuck out of it immediately. It takes time for the chemicals to be absorbed by the plant. For some it's as little as an hour, others can be a full day. Either way, all you can do is pour the water to it to dilute it and wash it off.

Going the other way, don't spend all day spraying your yard if it's going to rain and don't turn your sprinklers on for at least a day afterwards. Water is good for things you want to live. Water is bad for things you want to die.

Edit: I'd spray early in the morning when it's cool if possible, and as long after a mow as I could get away with. Weeds will take the chemical better if they're not stressed. And try to get your weeds before they flower.

01RedDX
05-28-2014, 11:51 PM

eblend
05-29-2014, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by 94CoRd

It will not be good for your flowers or plants. Keep it on the grass, and spray on a non-windy day. You'll need round up for the wild grass.

If you're feeling risky, you could probably spot treat in the flower bed - just don't till the soil for a while, and hope rain doesn't wash your solution into the soil.

I got myself the big 10L of Trillion a few years back and since I sprayed it I haven't had a single dandelion, however I am interested in the wild grass comment you made. I have this grass that is taller and grows much faster then the rest of my lawn...is that wild grass? What kind of RoundUp do you use for that, just weed killer version?

GQBalla
05-29-2014, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by iron_man888

PMd

weeds are out of control this year...

who else has some Trillion for sale?

94CoRd
05-29-2014, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by eblend

I got myself the big 10L of Trillion a few years back and since I sprayed it I haven't had a single dandelion, however I am interested in the wild grass comment you made. I have this grass that is taller and grows much faster then the rest of my lawn...is that wild grass? What kind of RoundUp do you use for that, just weed killer version?

Roundup will kill anything. The grass that grows taller in your lawn is probably part of the seed that was put down. If you look on the seed bag, there is usually a blend of grasses; normally Kentucky Bluegrass, and a Ryegrass. That stuff that grows quicker and taller, is the ryegrass. It's put in the blend for that reason - the consumer starts seeing grass grow sooner, and trillion, par3, or killex doesn't harm it.

I usually just yank that grass, and eventually the bluegrass will overtake the ryegrass. If you have mounds of ryegrass in the lawn or garden, mix the roundup in a bucket - and using a rubber glove, dip it into the round up mix, and slide along the top 3/4 of unwanted grass. It's like a super-spot treatment.

sabad66
05-29-2014, 01:01 PM
I bought trillian concentrate off a beyonder a few years ago. It was a small 1L bottle but i got about 4-5 sprays out of it because it was so concentrated and you dilute it quite a bit. Works great for killing weeds, including black medic which was a big PITA on my lawn 2 years ago.

It won't help with crabgrass / quackgrass though... i haven't found a solution for that. I've just learned to try and live with it...it's only noticeable when you don't cut your grass often as you'll have a big patch of "grass" that is taller than everything else.

D. Dub
05-29-2014, 01:09 PM
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/weed-remover-3-prong/928175

Best weed solution ever -- exercise and no chemicals.

88CRX
05-29-2014, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by sabad66

It won't help with crabgrass / quackgrass though... i haven't found a solution for that. I've just learned to try and live with it...it's only noticeable when you don't cut your grass often as you'll have a big patch of "grass" that is taller than everything else.

You have to paint on killex to each and every blade of grass... I'm doing my backyard this weekend before it spreads and gets worse.

Lex350
05-29-2014, 01:22 PM
Prevention is the best way. I have Weedman to a couple passes a year and I also set my sprinklers to water every second day at 4am for 10 minutes. I have yet to have one dandelion in 2 years even though the house across the street is full of them. I thick lawn is the best way to keep them out.

94CoRd
05-29-2014, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX

You have to paint on killex to each and every blade of grass... I'm doing my backyard this weekend before it spreads and gets worse.

Killex won't kill it either. It's a grass, and killex does not affect grass. You have to use roundup.

Paint brush method sounds tedious. Check out my previous post about using a rubber glove dipped in roundup. You can grab a chunk of crabgrass each time.

88CRX
05-29-2014, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by 94CoRd

Killex won't kill it either. It's a grass, and killex does not affect grass. You have to use roundup.

Paint brush method sounds tedious. Check out my previous post about using a rubber glove dipped in roundup. You can grab a chunk of crabgrass each time.

Round up... that's the one. I have both at home.

trevh
05-29-2014, 04:30 PM
Another grass question:
How do you get rid of Ants/Hills in your lawn? I have loads of them everywhere! I heard Borax does the trick it doesn't.

project240
05-29-2014, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by rotten42
I also set my sprinklers to water every second day at 4am for 10 minutes.

Much better to water for longer once per week rather than short waterings more often. Promotes deep root growth and a more full, lush lawn.