PDA

View Full Version : Insurance for borrowing a car long term

seadog
05-29-2014, 01:07 PM
So I've been working in Asia last 3 years, and before that was US.

I gave my car to my parents in 2010 to help prove non-residency.

I'm working in AB again for the first time in 5 years, and loaded up the car which used to be mine, and drove out. Work tells me it will be a temporary 3-6 month assignment.

Now the problem is, the insurer in NS (who my parents are with as they own it) wont insure me because I don't have an NS license. AB just told me today I can't insure a car that I don't own. I don't want to go to the hassle and costs of inspection (and anything they decided needs to be repaired - 17 yo car, but was inspected in NS 5 months ago) only to do this again in potentially 12 weeks in NS. Also if they do gift it, this will cause a lot more headaches if I have to move abroad in 3 months, due to you can't gift it back and forth.

Am I really the first person to do a long term out of province car loan? Anyone know what my options are here for insurance?

R154
05-29-2014, 01:10 PM
Get your parents to insure the car with you as a secondary driver? THEN DONT CRASH IT HERE.

seadog
05-29-2014, 01:25 PM
That's the thing, they are still primary, but they say I can't be listed at all without an NS license.

Which I thought was odd as I was always under the impression insurance follows the car, not the person?

ee2k
05-29-2014, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by seadog
That's the thing, they are still primary, but they say I can't be listed at all without an NS license.

Which I thought was odd as I was always under the impression insurance follows the car, not the person?

Insurance companies follow your residency. I can't insure a car in BC for I am not a resident there. Buy the car for $1 so you're not re-gifting.

Unless you're doing this as "I'm still not a resident of Canada but want to live as one for the next while" for which I don't have an answer. Which brings me to the point, what license do you have? Where is your residence?

blairtruck
05-29-2014, 02:38 PM
rent a car

seadog
05-29-2014, 02:46 PM
Well I was working in jungle camps of Indonesia for last 2.5 years, Had Indonesian residency card so Indonesia was my residence, but now I'll be here for the short future at least, and paying Canadian tax and all that, I'm going to get a short term place, so it will my residence until it changes. And if it does changes it almost certainty wont be Indonesia again.

I get what you're saying about the residency, but isn't that the case? My parents are residents of NS. The car is registered in NS. They own the car. It's insured in NS. Their son who lives in AB wants to borrow it for a few months.

Masked Bandit
05-29-2014, 03:28 PM
Where are you licensed? International or something else?