PDA

View Full Version : Seized wheel nut from cross thread?

Cooked Rice
05-29-2014, 08:31 PM
Went to get my winters changed off my car today to find that one of the nuts was seized. The nut wasn't even turned all the way in when it was installed as the wheel was able to move around when all the other nuts were taken off of the wheel. The tire shop couldn't get the nut to budge with their standard impact so they had to bring out their high torque gun, I told them to go ahead and break the stud off by impacting the seized nut off. So I want to point my finger at Volco Tires (1010 Tires) in Richmond where the wheels were last installed in Feb and say they probably crossed the nut and impacted it on to the point it was seized, but i'm not 100% Any insight before I give them a negative review?

speedog
05-29-2014, 09:50 PM
I would suggest that you be at 100% of what you're going to accuse a business of before you start slinging mud.

Rat Fink
05-29-2014, 09:57 PM

revelations
05-29-2014, 10:07 PM
I know its common practice, but I shudder every time I see a tech drive a nut in with impact, without starting it by hand.

In a perfect world, all fasteners grab the threads properly .... in real life.... not.

Sugarphreak
05-30-2014, 11:42 AM

mr2mike
05-30-2014, 03:28 PM
Bang out old stud, put in new one; 20 min and $7.
Thinking how to slander a tire changing company online for a mistake on your mint condition winter car; 2hrs and PRICELESS.

Sentry
05-30-2014, 03:33 PM
I like to hand start them all so that I can go BRIP BRIP BRIP BRIP and zip them all on in 2 seconds like I'm on a pit crew. :poosie:

But yeah sounds cross threaded. It happens. Contact the manager of the place that put them on, be courteous. If he's reasonable he'll do something to protect his place's name and you might not be out of pocket for this repair.

How much was it if you don't mind my asking?

Cooked Rice
05-30-2014, 03:57 PM
I just replaced the stud myself last night. I'll see if there's someone I can bring this up with, but I'm pretty sure they have a bag of excuses lined up just for these occasions. Not my winter car either, I purchased a vehicle im Vancouver in Feb and drove it home, hence why I opted to throw on the winters as a precaution.

GTS4tw
05-30-2014, 04:03 PM
You didnt check the torque at 150kms?

Cooked Rice
05-30-2014, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by GTS4tw
You didnt check the torque at 150kms?

Funny you ask, personally I never do. And I even asked Volco in Vancouver after they did the install and the guy just chuckled and after a long sigh he said you can but normally they don't even mention it to customers unless they are new wheels and lugs.

GTS4tw
05-30-2014, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Cooked Rice

Funny you ask, personally I never do. And I even asked Volco in Vancouver after they did the install and the guy just chuckled and after a long sigh he said you can but normally they don't even mention it to customers unless they are new wheels and lugs.

I find it is vital on aluminum wheels, but not such a big deal on steelies. Its funny, I have been to 3 tire shops in the last year, all 3 tell you to re-torque right on the reciept, this way any issues will be known within X-number of kms and the culprit is easily identified. Odd that Volco doesnt follow this very standard industry practice.

I'm not talking out my ass, I like to remind people about this after I had a wheel fall off and go into oncoming traffic striking a van head on...

Ill tell you one thing, you would have seen this problem coming a long time ago if you re-torqued....

Sugarphreak
05-30-2014, 06:31 PM

GTS4tw
05-30-2014, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
This probably happens daily down in the southern Okanagan, haha

hey screw you :rofl: