PDA

View Full Version : The Forest

403Gemini
05-31-2014, 12:45 PM
Any one have this? It's on steam for $14.99 - sadly it's single player... it looks like the movies Descent & I Am Legend merged

o9mr4k9X6c8

Had a bit of shivers watching this, doesn't look bad for a more indy flavoured game.

schocker
05-31-2014, 12:59 PM
I was reading that it is a quite alpha currently with lots of bugs and issues. Too scarey for me though :D

403Gemini
05-31-2014, 01:10 PM
Made IGN's top 13 horror games of 2014

tWYBiy5ee4I

Starts at 2:04.

Maybe I'll wait for it to be a bit more refined, but looks good and something to keep my eye on

schocker
06-01-2014, 08:41 AM
Here is a decent video of to give an idea. It actually looks pretty neat and not too buggy comapred to what I read.
8M_qJRI-GAo

403Gemini
06-01-2014, 09:19 AM
I caved and bought it last night. (Screen shots below aren't mine, it's from their website, I kept pressing "print screen" but it didn't save anything, I don't think the alpha has it mapped in yet)

The game is quite still in it's alpha stage - however it is one of the more playable alphas I've played. The graphics are quite nice, the AI "toys" with you, but they do need to fix some things (block doesnt work on all weapons, some stuff you gather disappears sometimes, can't reset traps atm)

Also digging into it, it seems like they plan on adding small multiplayer (2-4 people) which would be perfect.

On to my experience - this game fucks with you.

Right when the plane crashes there is very little to explain what to do other than open up your book and start crafting. Pretty basic for these types of games - however stepping about 25' out of the airplane i saw some of the cannibals / natives. Me being me, I run at them with my axe and start attacking and these guys take hits like a champ. I kept hitting and hitting them and they eventually killed me, so I restarted.

Plane crashes, i start gathering, I see a cannibal - he's on his own so i start attacking. It's probably a very solid 20-25 swings before he just falls over, then i finish him and keep hacking at his corpse till i cut him into bits (arms legs, head... pretty grusome stuff...) found out you can collect some of their body parts and make effigys to ward them away (found that out on a stream later last night). Continuing on with this playthrough, i start chasing a lizard into the forest to kill it for armor & food, run into a group of cannibals and they kill me.

I get a bit disgruntled and think "this fucking game is hard" , so i try it again.

Plane crashes, start collecting, and another group of cannibals sees me in two minutes. I sigh and roll my eyes and pull out my axe thinking "How the fuck am i suppose to play this game? Is this just imbalance because of alpha?" so i start walking towards the cannibals so they don't spot me. They end up seeing me and they stop and stare at me - so I pause thinking "is the AI broken?" then they walk up closer to take a better look at me, so i take another step forward - and they run away! I read on the forum, for the first day or two in game they stalk you. You are the new person on their island so they're curious. That first evening when you're at your camp fire and using your tent to pass through the night you see a few of their raiding parties on the outskirts of your fires, when you approach them, they run away - OH and these fuckers are fast. They climb trees like bears, they jump down trees in front of you scaring the shit out of you, then they book it out of there.

The next morning after night one, when you start venturing into the forest to collect more materials - there are their own effigy around almsot your entire camp to ward you away. I mean these things are fucked up...

http://survivetheforest.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/TheForest-Photo.png

One was a womans face stretched out like a native dream catcher.

I figure fuck it, make some moltov cocktails with booze & cloth and go exploring in case they are more hostile today. I didn't run into any of their parties, but i found one of their camps / villages. This is where it gets fucked up, you start running into "survivors" from the plane, and their bodies are tied together, mutilated - like some serious Event Horizon/flash back to Hell scenes. When you see them you see "You found 2 passengers of 170" , so I think the purpose is to find all of the corpses of the passengers and look for your son.

I get out of there right quick and head back to my house and start setting traps up for that night. The day was rather uneventful, I did have one stray cannibal run up to me and hit me once then run away when i looked at her.

OH one creepy part was when I was cracking open the luggage with my axe I found tennis ball so I threw it into the forest. When I cut down a tree and returned to base, the tennis ball was sitting right next to the firepit in my base... i mean i lobbed this fucker about 40 yards into the forest. I don't know if it was the AI playing games with me , a streamer I spoke to last night said two things; it could have been a hill / decline to my base and the ball rolled back , OR sometimes the game spawns random items near your base and it may have been the tennis ball - that or maybe a glitch ;)Either was spooked the shit out of me haha

Second night comes and they are more aggressive, unfortunately rabbits throughout the day triggered my fucking traps and i couldn't reset them. So i caught one who dipped into my camp, i ran to his escape route and started cutting into him with my axe and I pushed him into my fire pit which killed him, so i kept hitting him with my axe till I dismembered him (it's tough to tell when they're really dead, and if you knock one down, their buddies come and drag them away), then i threw a few moltovs at a few on the tree line and hid behind my fire pit... then i saw a bunch of items starting to roll towards my camp (you can see items you can press "E" on to gather) I get out to take a look at it, it was seriously about 30 fucking heads. Again, I'm not sure if it was a glitch or if this game was seriously fucking with me but its like they were saying "oh you like body parts? here you go" ...FML so I stayed in my camp until morning.

The heads were still there, right next to the tennis ball from the day earlier - so from this point I made 8 moltovs and went out exploring, thought I'd bring the fight to them. I didn't run into any roaming parties but instead found a cave entrance... watching the trailer video I knew caves are a bad idea, especially this early into the game but it was getting late and I just wanted to explore - so I took out my flashlight and started my descent into the cave. Nothing for quite awhile. I'm not shitting you, I was walking down further and further into this cave for about 10 minutes and not getting jumped - the battery died on my flashlight so i pulled out my lighter for a small light source and pulled out a moltov to help out and just kept to the left wall. The room started to really open up (from what I could tell as I dipped in briefly before turning around and finding the wall again) so I continued on the left wall... I heard some scuttling on my right so I turned and saw a shadow on the outside of my light so I lobbed my first moltov, to find a HUGE cavern of this:

http://survivetheforest.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/TheForest-Flare.jpg

Those big guys, there was probably 15+ of them in there and one started to run at me so I booked it and turned off my light source. I Could see a dim glow in the distance so I ran just for that... turned out to just be some mushrooms/plant canopy ... the sound subsided of the monsters so i pulled out my lighter and continued my descent until i found a corner and got stuck - when i turned back i retreated to the big room and saw one of the big baddies on his own, so i climbed onto a ledge and lobbed my remaining moltovs at it , as it tried to climb up the ledge to get it it couldn't - it burned and burned,... and never died. I think to kill these guys you need the flaregun or a bomb.

Anyway I dropped down, tried to kill it with my axe and it murdered me with two hits.

Fun game, was pretty intense going into the cave, especially when the flashlight died and the moltov + lighter made it so i could only see about 10' in front of me

edit: I'll also add, it gets really creepy in the cave when you start seeing corpses dangling above you , some missing, limbs, some covered in blood and the passenger count starts to go up...

relyt92
06-01-2014, 10:54 AM
Game looks so fun, I'm probably too pussy for it though.

403Gemini
06-01-2014, 12:00 PM
It's still incrediably in Alpha (save feature doesn't even work lol) but the way I look at games, if I get 1 hr per dollar spent , it was worth it. I'll get AT LEAST 15 hours out of the current alpha build (2 hours already) , so I can only imagine playing it a lot more down the road

Problem with this style of game is over saturation for the minecraft-esque + survival horror (though most are just zombies)

theken
06-01-2014, 11:17 PM
it looks like rust, with more murder, I think i like it. is it pc only? or do i have to boot up in windows to get it

StreetRacerX
06-15-2014, 07:32 PM
The save feature they added seems to work now after a patch, I saved then loaded to make sure it worked and everything seemed to be in order, came home and load game only to have it start me off from the beginning, intro and all.

403Gemini
06-15-2014, 09:23 PM
That's frustrating, but that said it's only Alpha .02 build, so not even a complete alpha. Playable, but I think I'll wait for a bit more to come out before playing it more

n1zm0
06-16-2014, 07:55 AM
I tried it at a friends this weekend, the worst goddamned part is how they jump from the trees, like you hear the rustling and look in the direction and scan for a moment (or panic), there he is, staring at you from the treetop, jumping from tree to tree like some mutant. A few times I just noped the fk away when gathering, just sit in my small tree base camp until I feel it's ok to leave.

I think i'll get it when they do the MP addition, really it's a bit creepy just playing it by yourself with good headphones on.

StreetRacerX
06-19-2014, 11:04 PM
Once you get the flare gun they aren't all that scary anymore, I don't know what else to do other than go explore caves, my home base is pretty well fortified with lots of loot nearby including the yacht where they moved the flare gun so when I load and have pretty much nothing again its not all that bad.

xnvy
06-19-2014, 11:22 PM
2spooky4me

looks like fun though. Something I'll watch someone else play haha