PDA

View Full Version : How can I find army information on my dead grandfather?

Mar
06-01-2014, 10:40 PM
My mom's father was very active in the army so I was wondering how I'd go about finding his name on a crew manifest or something for her next birthday. I know he was stationed all around the world including:
- Holland
- Germany
- Winnipeg
- Nova Scotia (I think)
- Newfoundland

Of course my mom moved around with him as well but I think it'd be neat to see his name on something from 60 years ago. Is this fairly simple? How much would it cost to hire someone for this?

Dalking
06-01-2014, 11:32 PM
same problem with mine. im german, he was german, and ive only heard stories of how he used to be a mail runner for hitler in the wars and havent actually seen or read anything about him, my grand mother refuses to give me any info on his history there, all i have is his name helmut busch but thats a pretty damn common name for those days

AndyL
06-02-2014, 06:15 AM
Well Canadians can pull records from I think its the national archives; wait no still bookmarked -http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/022/022-909.007-e.html

There you go ;)

cancer man
06-02-2014, 09:29 PM
Mormon library in Cardston.Archives from everywhere and it's free.

egmilano
06-02-2014, 09:57 PM
sounds cliche but i was able to find info of my family on ancestry.com, found a blog written by a random dude. he researched my great great grandfather and I was able to read about him and his brother, my guess is a relative paid or asked for the info... but non the less a good place to look

Mar
06-02-2014, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by AndyL
Well Canadians can pull records from I think its the national archives; wait no still bookmarked -http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/022/022-909.007-e.html

There you go ;)
Thank you very much!

Originally posted by egmilano
sounds cliche but i was able to find info of my family on ancestry.com, found a blog written by a random dude. he researched my great great grandfather and I was able to read about him and his brother, my guess is a relative paid or asked for the info... but non the less a good place to look
Does this site actually work? I thought it was a pretty asshole thing to make me go all the way through the information gathering, then make me pay them in order to see the results. I got pretty angry about that. It did tell me there were numerous branches they could connect with my tree but I was just worried that I would pay them and then all the branches would be wrong, or they'd be advertisement branches or something. If I could get a trial or just look at a couple of the branches I could then decide if I want to pay or not.

n1zm0
06-03-2014, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by Dalking
same problem with mine. im german, he was german, and ive only heard stories of how he used to be a mail runner for hitler in the wars and havent actually seen or read anything about him, my grand mother refuses to give me any info on his history there, all i have is his name helmut busch but thats a pretty damn common name for those days

I had a coworker go through the Bundesarchiv with successful results for his father who was in the Afrika Korps iirc, might try to contact them here (https://www.bundesarchiv.de/benutzung/oeffnungszeiten_kontakt/index.html.en) , the Germans have been really good with military records apparently.

03ozwhip
06-03-2014, 02:20 PM
How do you find out about someone who says they are/were military, but has no proof? lol I know, weird question...long story.