PDA

View Full Version : Broken toe, how much do I really need to stay off it?

Tik-Tok
06-02-2014, 09:32 AM
So I slammed my pinky toe into a couch last night, and I'm 98% sure it's broken. It turned purple and blue within an hour.

It doesn't hurt too much, just a little sensitive. I taped it up like every result on google says to do, but am in the middle of house reno's and cant just sit around all day keeping it elevated.

For those of you who have broken their toes, how much did you really stay off it, and did it heal fine anyways?

eglove
06-02-2014, 09:34 AM
didn't stay off it at all, just bought some crocs (ugh) as they were the comfiest shoes to wear and kept on trucking

Marsh
06-02-2014, 09:40 AM
Since its the pinky toe, there really isn't much you can do anyways. Even if you went to the doc, all they do is just tape it with the other toe for support. I guess just be cautious though, might want to check with a doctor just to be safe.

mikestypes
06-02-2014, 09:47 AM
Is it/was it displaced? If not, I doubt you broke it and you will be fine.

Tik-Tok
06-02-2014, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by eglove
didn't stay off it at all, just bought some crocs (ugh) as they were the comfiest shoes to wear and kept on trucking

Thanks for the crocs suggestion.

As soon as I put my shoes on this morning, it went from "sensitive" to "OMFG!!!". First chance I got, I went to walmart and picked up some $5 croc knock-offs. I hate them, but there's no way I could wear regular shoes right now.

HomespunLobster
06-02-2014, 01:19 PM
I broke my pinky toe. Slammed it into a fridge while running through the house. Fridge moved over an inch or so. (Necessary information of course)
Went to the doctor, he said it was broken. Had the same looks as you describe. Purple, swollen.
He taped it to my other toe/foot the best he could. Also told me that I could change the tape if I needed to (smell, dirty, etc) but there's nothing else he could do since it's not that important of a toe.
I still worked 40/hour work week in an automotive shop. It hurts, but just take pain killers/anti inflammatory drugs. My toe sits where it was. doesn't ever bother me now (unless I stub it on something). This happened 5 years ago to me.
You'll be fine, but you'll never look at your couch the same way again.

Red@8
06-02-2014, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
So I slammed my pinky toe into a couch last night, and I'm 98% sure it's broken. It turned purple and blue within an hour.

It doesn't hurt too much, just a little sensitive. I taped it up like every result on google says to do, but am in the middle of house reno's and cant just sit around all day keeping it elevated.

For those of you who have broken their toes, how much did you really stay off it, and did it heal fine anyways?

http://www.alpinefootankle.com/
^ You can go see my colleague if you need an xray or to see a doc for your foot.

Obviously my official advice to you is to see a medical professional.

I am assuming there is no puncture in your toe. Black and blue doesn't always mean broken. If it is broken and if it is not displaced (need an xray) than you can simply buddy splint it (tape to 4th toe). Ice and elevate for swelling and nsaid for pain and inflammation. An open toe stiff sole sandal is optimal. Of course this also offers your toe no protection which may be an issue considering you are renovating.

spikerS
06-02-2014, 03:40 PM
I just have to put my funny broken toe story.

I was 18, and my training partner and I were at the gym to do a workout. Nothing serious, but it was the off week, so it was a full body workout.

We did our rounds, and I was always way stronger then he was, so he would do his reps first, then we would load up more weight for me to do mine.

Our last station was the leg sled. We loaded it up to 450lbs for him, and he did his reps. Since I wasn't needed to spot him, I went and grabbed a drink from the fountain. When I got back, Nathan was done his sets, and had loaded up the one side of the leg sled for me. I started grabbing the 45kg disks from the tree, and was loading it up, when Nathan comes over and gives me a nudge and says "check that out."

I looked over to where he was gesturing and there was this hot little number on the stairs machine, booking it at like 90MPH!

Did I mention she had big tittys?

well, she did.

And of course my young hormones took over, my head started nodding in time with the bounces, and I am pretty sure a bit of drool started from the corner of my mouth.

Of course, this is all going on as I am pulling another 45kg weight off the tree. Of course, it slides right off the tree, I am not ready for the weight, and it slips right trough my fingers.

EDGEWISE RIGHT ONTO MY LEFT FOOT'S BIG TOE.

I stifle a yelp as people turn to look my way, obviously I am embarrassed as fuck. Trainer comes over to ask if I am ok, of course I have to act tough, and I say I am. I think he saw it happen, because I had to reassure him like a dozen times.

Anyways, finished my workout like a boss.

Went back to the change room to shower, pulled off my sneakers and socks, and looked down to a big purple and blue mess of a big toe. The toe is pretty much completely flat between the actual foot to the first knuckle. I chuckle and say "well, that doesn't look right". Go shower and drive my ass to my doctor's office. He sends me for x-rays, and I come back and look at them with the doc.

The bone between my foot and first knuckle was shattered into 5 pieces.

Doc said wasn't much to do, but I got an air cast to at least protect it, and it let me walk. To this day, I still can't bend my left big toe.

Tik-Tok
06-02-2014, 04:22 PM
Lol, nothing so dramatic last night.

Although I was carrying an excruciatingly hot bowl of wonton soup, hence why I hit the couch, I was in a hurry to set it down, lol. I screamed like a girl when I hit it, and my wife came rushing in thinking I burned myself, when she realized I only "stubbed" my toe, she basically gave me the "you pussy" look :rofl:

Two hours later when she saw my toe, she starts freaking out.

Seth1968
06-02-2014, 07:23 PM
Nothing a doc can do for that.

If the pain gets too bad Tik-Tok, get out a bottle of hard liquor and the side cutters.

You don't need that stinking pinky anyway:)

Brent.ff
06-03-2014, 08:30 AM
broke mine playing soccer in february, still hasn't "healed" up....still playing soccer probably doesnt help, but it doesn't hurt anymore.

carson blocks
06-03-2014, 11:32 AM
I've broke toes a few times, don't even bother going to the doctor anymore. I just tape it to the next toe and grab a bottle of ibuprofen. They always seem to heal fine, maybe not perfectly straight, but fully functional.

Milk2%
06-03-2014, 03:30 PM
Toughen up buttercup