PDA

View Full Version : OK here is a gravel road/grader passing question

alberta_gamer
06-02-2014, 07:44 PM
If you come up behind a grader (going same direction) on a 25-foot wide gravel road with wide ditches sloped gently enough to drive at 10 km/h half in the ditch, what is the word of wisdom on passing them?

vengie
06-02-2014, 07:51 PM
Ensure you have a clear lane, and pass them. Simple as that.

16hypen3sp
06-02-2014, 08:13 PM
Yup, just make sure it's clear and proceed to pass. Never pass them until your over a hill... you even supposed to be on the right side of the road when approaching the crest of a hill in normal conditions.

But yah, just make sure its clear and go!

alberta_gamer
06-02-2014, 08:46 PM
It was either half in the ditch on the left side and go over the huge windrow in the middle of the road (that the grader was moving off to the side) in order to get back to the right side of the road, or else half in the ditch on the right side and not have to go over the windrow. So I just passed on the right. Seemed safer.

blueToy
06-02-2014, 08:47 PM
Don't do anything crazy or try to intentionally piss him off, he's trying to make your road more drivable. If you have to drive over his pile of gravel ( called a windrow ), do it in the safest manner possible and try not driving on it too much or scattering the gravel everywhere.
One more thing. Driving on a shoulder might seem ok , but lots of times they can be fairly soft and if you lose control and crash into him, its gonna hurt and do lots of damage. You should ask yourself if the risk is worth it. Most grader guys I know will try and let you pass when they think its safe and it doesn't cause them to lose too much time. Patience is the virtue when driving around big iron.

16hypen3sp
06-02-2014, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by alberta_gamer
It was either half in the ditch on the left side and go over the huge windrow in the middle of the road (that the grader was moving off to the side) in order to get back to the right side of the road, or else half in the ditch on the right side and not have to go over the windrow. So I just passed on the right. Seemed safer.

I see... hmmm. In all my years of driving gravel roads, I don't think I ever came across this situation. I guess I would have done the same thing, or waited for the operator to signal me to pass.

ExtraSlow
06-03-2014, 06:14 AM
Usually, if you follow them for a minute or two, they will signal you to pass. If in doubt, wait it out.

CapnCrunch
06-03-2014, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Usually, if you follow them for a minute or two, they will signal you to pass. If in doubt, wait it out.

Sorry bro, VTEC doesn't wait for anybody.

alberta_gamer
06-03-2014, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

I wasn't sure if I would have pissed him off by following him and if it was an obvious thing to do to just pass or not if it was safe. But the if in doubt rule sounds like good advice. Thanks.