PDA

View Full Version : A basic finance course should be a mandatory requirement in University

Pages : [1] 2

8baller8
06-03-2014, 10:30 AM
It amazes me the poor financial decisions I see young people making all the time. Being young myself (25), I'm thankful I've been able to show some financial discipline and have been taking a long term approach.

Here's what I see all the time:
-Person A graduates with a ton of student loan debt, wants a new car in new grad job, buys car, does not pay back large part of principal each month.

It's like students dont realize they have a negative net worth already and they are only burdening themselves further just so they can have nice wheels and pretend they have money.

Honestly, people can do whatever they want. I truly don't care that much. I just felt it was interesting to share.

Moral of the story:
A personal financial planning course should be mandatory to graduate at all universities/colleges.

Manhattan
06-03-2014, 10:35 AM
How about high school. Less than half of the population go to university.

supe
06-03-2014, 10:38 AM
I feel the same way, but really you can say the same thing about many aspects of life particularly health. At the end of the day the onus is on the individual to learn this stuff.

schocker
06-03-2014, 10:39 AM
I thought we already took this in high school.....:confused:

Manhattan
06-03-2014, 10:42 AM
I also think mandatory conscription in Canada is a good idea for lazy entitled kids these days but that's another story.

ercchry
06-03-2014, 10:46 AM
fuck em, survival of the fittest... if everyone was good with money, then everyone would have more money, diluting the value of said money ;)

Euro838
06-03-2014, 10:47 AM
I don't think poor financial decisions are limited to young people and/or students...so while you are at it, maybe you can solve world peace....:D

8baller8
06-03-2014, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Manhattan
How about high school. Less than half of the population go to university.

It was taught in CALM (Career and Life Management) at my high school.

IF you're like me, the professor was a complete dope and probably had no clue what he was talking about anyway.

For the NWers, anyone remember Mr. Bischoff?

woodywoodford
06-03-2014, 10:58 AM
Yeah but who wants to spend cash out of pocket for prepayments, when that money COULD buy a fancy new car??

suntan
06-03-2014, 10:59 AM
From a risk and time value of money perspective it's actually better to not pay off student loans ASAP while you're young. You should also save up money though while you're young because your money is worth so much more.

Manhattan
06-03-2014, 11:00 AM
Meh. We need people to buy stupid shit to stimulate the economy.

rage2
06-03-2014, 11:29 AM
You're only young once haha. Looking at the old salary thread, I was buying cars worth 1.5x my yearly salary back then. Was it financially responsible? Nope. Was it worth it? Hell ya, wouldn't have done it any other way.

e31
06-03-2014, 11:31 AM
The last thing that Universities & Colleges are qualified to do is educate students on basic financial planning

n1zm0
06-03-2014, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by schocker
I thought we already took this in high school.....:confused:

Yeah I remember taking a financial course or 2 during HS, I remember it cause I was late the one morning (as always) and was freaking out cause I didn't do the tax book worksheet, came into class anyways expecting to me reprimanded, but no one was doing anything because 9/11 happened and that's all we watched on TV that whole day.

bulaian
06-03-2014, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by 8baller8

IF you're like me, the professor was a complete dope and probably had no clue what he was talking about anyway.

GG getting a gym teacher to teach Career and Life Management :confused:

bjstare
06-03-2014, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
fuck em, survival of the fittest... if everyone was good with money, then everyone would have more money, diluting the value of said money ;)

I used to think like this, helped me feel better about driving second hand Jap cars when I could go out and finance a C63 no problem (well, I still want nicer cars than I buy, but that's another story...).

The issue is, those of us that are responsible with our money are going to get saddled with the debt of the irresponsible at some point, regardless of what we do. Even sooner though, we're going to wind up paying for all of the super-over-financially-extended people who are ~40-50 years old right now. It's kinda depressing. :(

8baller8
06-03-2014, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by e31
The last thing that Universities & Colleges are qualified to do is educate students on basic financial planning

Touche.

tha_bandit
06-03-2014, 12:04 PM

-Person A graduates with a ton of student loan debt, wants a new car in new grad job, buys car, does not pay back large part of principal each month.

As long as it's a government loan, and the person has a decent job, its not worth paying it off asap. The interest paid on it is fully tax deductible, and its the only loan that completely stops in terms of payments if the person decides to pursue further education. I agree debt is debt but a student loan is the last thing someone should pay off, pay off that car loan first!

Sugarphreak
06-03-2014, 12:04 PM

Canmorite
06-03-2014, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by rage2
You're only young once haha. Looking at the old salary thread, I was buying cars worth 1.5x my yearly salary back then. Was it financially responsible? Nope. Was it worth it? Hell ya, wouldn't have done it any other way.

"Spend that cash. No one wants a $50M funeral, or a $50M ex-wife."

I had student loan debt when I bought my STi. I'm able to afford payments on both, so why not. Is it financial responsible? Not really as I could have paid off my loans by now for sure, but then I'd be one of those super financially responsible boring-ass people who don't spend a dime on fun/entertainment. :dunno:

However, I do agree that putting a little aside each month is super important. 10% of your income into an RRSP never hurt anyone.

8baller8
06-03-2014, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by tha_bandit

As long as it's a government loan, and the person has a decent job, its not worth paying it off asap. The interest paid on it is fully tax deductible, and its the only loan that completely stops in terms of payments if the person decides to pursue further education. I agree debt is debt but a student loan is the last thing someone should pay off, pay off that car loan first!

Yeah, I knew someone would be coming in saying that. I'm aware of all of this...

the distinction is simple because realistically it makes more sense to pay it off quicker. It gives you more flexibility going forward.

ie. if you own a home, do you really want to pay 500-1000/month on student loan debt? this reduces the type of mortage you can get. Moreover, if you want to run your own business do you really want to paying a large chunk of it to student loan debt. Many examples like this exist.

max_boost
06-03-2014, 12:32 PM
sometimes you gotta fuck up a lot in order to learn lol

tha_bandit
06-03-2014, 12:34 PM

Yeah, I knew someone would be coming in saying that. I'm aware of all of this...

Again I'm in agreement with you, best to pay off the debt rather than taking on new debt, all I'm saying is that a student loan isn't the worst thing, and looking to pay that off quickly will reduce the amount cash available for a down payment for a house or start-up funds for business in the first place. Hell I've even heard of people taking out a personal line of credit to pay off a student loan, how crazy is that?

DeleriousZ
06-03-2014, 12:40 PM
If only they could have a 'common sense' course in school. Although, I suppose schools don't like failing people so they probably shouldn't.

403ep3
06-03-2014, 12:57 PM
Meh I could've paid off my student loan but put it into a downpayment for a house instead. :drama:

Soon I'm gonna buy a 80k car because I can :whocares: :bigpimp: :devil:

Masked Bandit
06-03-2014, 01:03 PM

Shhhhhhhhh, keep that to yourself, take every advantage you can. :D

Originally posted by Euro838
I don't think poor financial decisions are limited to young people and/or students...so while you are at it, maybe you can solve world peace....:D

There certainly are not limited to young people. Catering to those who don't know how to handle their money is an entire industry all unto itself. I don't think it will ever change or go away.

xnvy
06-03-2014, 01:07 PM
I would like a class like this. At the moment I'm a student who has no idea wtf to do with the few dollar's I earn. Hmmm... Maybe I should buy a roll bar with June and July's salary.

rage2
06-03-2014, 01:10 PM
You know what they should teach in this finance course? The financial impact, and ROI on a post secondary education. Yea, I'm going there haha. If you have no idea WTF u want to do as a career, investing in a post secondary education is even more financially irresponsible than buying that car.

How much does 4 years of U of C cost these days anyways?

faiz999
06-03-2014, 01:13 PM
i agree, a simple intro to the basics of economics and personal finance should be a must in jr high or high school. if people understand how the financial system works, they'll be able to avoid the pitfalls associated with it as well.

Ca_Silvia13
06-03-2014, 01:18 PM
I often said that in high school they should have a just a finance class, not that CALM BS. Teach kids how to manage money, the benefits of dumping cash into RRSP, eligible tax write off etc.

That being said, governments fund high schools so why would the government approve a curriculum that helps the majority pay less to the government...

Canmorite
06-03-2014, 01:19 PM
You know what they should teach in this finance course? The financial impact, and ROI on a post secondary education. Yea, I'm going there haha. If you have no idea WTF u want to do as a career, investing in a post secondary education is even more financially irresponsible than buying that car.

Not as much as the opportunity cost of working up north for 4 years. I'd guess $25-$30K for tuition and books, but the real costs are housing, food, utilities, booze, etc.

Sugarphreak
06-03-2014, 01:34 PM

ercchry
06-03-2014, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

120K is a fair number to guess at what it would cost

thats not even including the opportunity cost involved in it too.... for me to go back for 4 years right now, maintaining the same lifestyle as i have now and the lack of my current income, we would be well over -$500k... not to mention if you had the cash to do it to begin with there is a lost opportunity cost on that too... so huge numbers. and undergrad does dick all too, so might as well call it 8 years. fuck that shit

revelations
06-03-2014, 01:39 PM

Yea, but acquiring ANY degree means instant 60,000$ starting salary .... no? :rofl:

max_boost
06-03-2014, 01:41 PM

How much does 4 years of U of C cost these days anyways? Definitely not for everyone.

rage2
06-03-2014, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite
Not as much as the opportunity cost of working up north for 4 years.

thats not even including the opportunity cost involved in it too.... for me to go back for 4 years right now, maintaining the same lifestyle as i have now and the lack of my current income, we would be well over -$500k...
I was saving that for my next post haha.

I think skipping post secondary makes a lot more sense today than when I did it back in the 90's. It's much more acceptable now, and employers care less about a degree as long as you're not looking to be a professional that requires one.

Surviving the Asian parents anger is another story tho...

403ep3
06-03-2014, 01:44 PM
Everyone is calculating from their point of view now but I think rage2 was talking about right after high school?

ercchry
06-03-2014, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by 403ep3
Everyone is calculating from their point of view now but I think rage2 was talking about right after high school?

even still... when you are 18 and they are handing out $100k/yr+ jobs up north to anyone with a pulse... you will be miles ahead. or an apprenticeship. wish the blue collar shit was more acceptable when i was in high school, if you take the RAP program, come out of high school ready to take your 1st year schooling.... just rolling in it. b-pressure welder by 21? yes please :drool:

only way that it makes sense is if you go for a professional designation, and have the costs covered for you and do it straight out of high school. but the odds of finishing it are pretty low. its really a poor choice in the risk vs gain category :rofl:

max_boost
06-03-2014, 01:51 PM
I think that's the key if you want to be a doctor/acct/lawyer/engineer etc. for sure but if your arts degree is gonna result you working in hospitality anyway, you might as well just skip it and read everything online.

dubhead
06-03-2014, 01:55 PM
I think a true financial planning course in High School would have been hugely beneficial as I really had a pretty piss poor financial role model in my Dad. Now I'm 27 and finally starting to get the benefits of longer term financial planning, however it's a slow learning curve since my student loans aren't paid off and I'm about 99% I'm going to buy an S4 in the next month or so :poosie:.

tha_bandit
06-03-2014, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by revelations

Yea, but acquiring ANY degree means instant 60,000$ starting salary .... no? :rofl:

You would think so, since the cost of the courses is the same :rofl:

dubhead
06-03-2014, 01:59 PM

even still... when you are 18 and they are handing out $100k/yr+ jobs up north to anyone with a pulse... you will be miles ahead. or an apprenticeship. wish the blue collar shit was more acceptable when i was in high school, if you take the RAP program, come out of high school ready to take your 1st year schooling.... just rolling in it. b-pressure welder by 21? yes please :drool:

only way that it makes sense is if you go for a professional designation, and have the costs covered for you and do it straight out of high school. but the odds of finishing it are pretty low. its really a poor choice in the risk vs gain category :rofl:

You could also spend ~12k on a 2 year tech diploma and again laugh your way straight to the bank :drama:

403ep3
06-03-2014, 02:05 PM

You would think so, since the cost of the courses is the same :rofl:

Why spend $60k on a degree when you can become a labourer up north though :poosie:

Having seen how much each position pays, on average, at my job, I wish I just went up north....sometimes

ercchry
06-03-2014, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by 403ep3

Why spend $60k on a degree when you can become a labourer up north though :poosie:

Having seen how much each position pays, on average, at my job, I wish I just went up north....sometimes

you dont do it forever of course. but the field experience does help you get into the door in the office in town, plus you have a giant chunk of cash while you are young to invest. even a modest annual return on it=freedom 40... but that comes back to proper financial planning of course.

tha_bandit
06-03-2014, 02:20 PM
plus you have a giant chunk of cash while you are young to invest. even a modest annual return on it=freedom 40... but that comes back to proper financial planning of course.

:rofl: isn't that what is thread is about? sadly, young with a giant chunk of cash doesn't lead to proper financial planning in most cases. beyond civics, hookers and blow FTW

ercchry
06-03-2014, 02:26 PM

:rofl: isn't that what is thread is about? sadly, young with a giant chunk of cash doesn't lead to proper financial planning in most cases. beyond civics, hookers and blow FTW

dont forget the beyond slumlord club :bigpimp:

pay for the hookers, cars, and blow with the money you cashflow every month.... while banking the principal and of course the money it increase in value.

actually, rental properties are the perfect investment vehicle for those kind of people. its just another monthly expense that comes out of your account, you dont get to touch the earnings from it for years and it just sits and grows. fuck, problem solved no course needed. just sign every new grad up for a mortgage on a second property :rofl:

tha_bandit
06-03-2014, 02:34 PM
just sign every new grad up for a mortgage on a second property :rofl:

ideal straw buyers :D

HiTempguy1
06-03-2014, 03:32 PM

Jesus, don't get me started. My girlfriend currently doesn't quite seem to grasp that her friends who have gotten bofa psych degrees, sociology degrees, straight up math and physics degrees don't have a future.

She herself is in an extremely lucky position with her education (BofA psychology), but that is only due to her prior work experience. I couldn't imagine $60k in debt and coming out to a $45k a year job :banghead:

DeleriousZ
06-03-2014, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
I couldn't imagine $60k in debt and coming out to a $45k a year job :banghead:

Welcome to the world outside of oil and gas alberta lol.

icky2unk
06-03-2014, 04:21 PM
Imagine how grads in the states feel hah

Cos
06-03-2014, 04:26 PM

GTS4tw
06-03-2014, 04:31 PM

Yeah, a union worker teaching finance, that will go well....

ercchry
06-03-2014, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Please dont make me think about my wife. 7 years working at Starbucks or COOP to make MAX $92,000 a year after 10 years in the workforce.

haha, well the reason i even did the math to begin with is cause the woman was thinking about some sort of schooling... yeah, no :rofl:

she can do some 6 month training things while still holding down a full time job me thinks :nut:

BigDL
06-03-2014, 04:51 PM

From Dief? That guy was awesome, I believe he is a principal somewhere now.

max_boost
06-03-2014, 04:55 PM
i need to figure out something to do. some time in the next 5-15 years i will be going back to school to either a. finish my degree or get a diploma in some other field so i can get a job. lol

J.M.
06-03-2014, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
i need to figure out something to do. some time in the next 5-15 years i will be going back to school to either a. finish my degree or get a diploma in some other field so i can get a job. lol

no need for a job when you're ballin' bruh

A790
06-03-2014, 07:08 PM

Who gets excited over 60k? lol :poosie:

Matty_10
06-03-2014, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Yup, I was in RAP. Wish I had done electrician like I wanted but everyone told me I loved cars so I should do that. I still think about being an electrician to this day.
I started out in the trade and made the switch to tech based on the better jobs out there and it was free. I do wish I got my jmans first but I do plan on finishing it in the future if the tech position doesnt get me into the positions I want.
If your wanting to be an electrician because of the hands on aspect why not use your tech to get into a field type roll, as I know my company has system test,substation, and plant techs all of which can make easily +130k

egmilano
06-03-2014, 08:33 PM
LOL great thread but I was under the impression CALM was mandatory in high school? is it only the catholic school board?.. Honestly id say half of my friends financed newer vehicles and still live at home or with roommates, every day on facebook someone posts their new bmw or benz... Im waiting for next summer when I post a picture of my new home i've been saving for haha car can come later..

max_boost
06-03-2014, 08:48 PM
well the desire to look rich/baller/cool/fit in etc. is just what a lot of ppl go through. it's sorta faking it but at the same time you actually like/enjoy your purchase even though you're stretching things to acquire it. i racked up quite a bit of debt for sure and very lucky to make it out good. thank you calgary boom and falling into the path that was presented in front of me. who knows though under different circumstances maybe i would have graduated with a b.comm and end up like sexualbanana :rofl: :eek:

max_boost
06-03-2014, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by A790

Who gets excited over 60k? lol :poosie: 10+years ago I was VERY excited over $60k. i thought it would have solved all my problems in life. how retarded was that. :rofl:

8baller8
06-04-2014, 09:27 AM
Sometimes I regret my B.Comm when I look at some of my friends who are in the patch and making crazy money. Let's be honest, there's really only a select few (and when I say few I probably mean about 15-20) making really good money. The rest are delegated to entry level jobs making 45-50k. I literally can't even imagine how people are doing with psychology/communication degrees. Every job posting I read wants someone with a B.Comm.

The ones working in oil and gas are also doing okay. I got lucky with my job making 80K but I have to sacrifice a lot and work crazy, long hours. It's not even in the oil and gas industry either.

A790
06-04-2014, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
10+years ago I was VERY excited over $60k. i thought it would have solved all my problems in life. how retarded was that. :rofl:
Not retarded at all. Just goes to show how solvable those problems really were :)

HiTempguy1
06-04-2014, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by DeleriousZ

Welcome to the world outside of oil and gas alberta lol.

No shit eh? I mean, I complain about my tech diploma earning me a bit of $60k a year (without overtime) working 38 hours a week at the age of 25. Life is rough, amirite?

The thing is though (about these people taking useless degrees) is that they have been brainwashed. They believe that 4 years (actually, average is now 5 years to get a degree) and 6 figures in debt/lost earning potential/not living outside of the school system is worth it, it is an "experience" that you are paying for. Its pretty hilarious to see how naive they are.

8baller8
06-04-2014, 10:33 AM

No shit eh? I mean, I complain about my tech diploma earning me a bit of $60k a year (without overtime) working 38 hours a week at the age of 25. Life is rough, amirite?

The thing is though (about these people taking useless degrees) is that they have been brainwashed. They believe that 4 years (actually, average is now 5 years to get a degree) and 6 figures in debt/lost earning potential/not living outside of the school system is worth it, it is an "experience" that you are paying for. Its pretty hilarious to see how naive they are.

to be honest, getting an arts degree is more challenging than a tech degree. tech degree is loads more practical, however.

revelations
06-04-2014, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by A790

Who gets excited over 60k? lol :poosie:

I said STARTING salary ... for a person fresh out of Uni, its a deal!

HiTempguy1
06-04-2014, 12:14 PM

to be honest, getting an arts degree is more challenging than a tech degree. tech degree is loads more practical, however.

Never said a technical diploma was hard :dunno: You're also kidding yourself though if you think getting a BofA is hard, I've read some of the papers people hand in that receive a pass for various BofA degrees, that shit is pure awful :rofl:

But continue drinking the university degree/higher education kool-aid. I'm content with what I've done. :thumbsup:

revelations
06-04-2014, 12:46 PM
A 2 year tech dilopma can sometimes be STUPID in terms of course load. Case in point - for my Geomatics diploma we had one semester with, not kidding .... 10 courses - 8 was average though.

HiTempguy1
06-04-2014, 01:03 PM
A 2 year tech dilopma can sometimes be STUPID in terms of course load. Case in point - for my Geomatics diploma we had one semester with, not kidding .... 10 courses - 8 was average though.

I just don't want to get into a pissing contest with all the "educated" types. Beyond goes down that road once every couple of months, no need to start in this thread. :rofl:

Feruk
06-05-2014, 08:13 AM
:rofl: :rofl: Keep 'em comin! :rofl:

Sugarphreak
06-05-2014, 08:22 AM

mrsingh
06-05-2014, 09:13 AM

LOL, oh know you didn't... Next someone will bring up the tech versus engineer debate. :banghead:

CapnCrunch
06-05-2014, 09:14 AM

Lol, I remember having 10 hours of class on Wednesdays when I was in SAIT. Nonsense if you ask me.

CapnCrunch
06-05-2014, 09:15 AM

Unless you actually have both degrees, shut your fucking hole.

DeleriousZ
06-05-2014, 09:45 AM
I dunno, my mech tech diploma from sait was a fucking breeze. The gf who took the bachelor of design maj. in photography worked 10x harder than I did. Mainly because 2 of the 60 students that enter the course come out with a successful career/business lol.

ercchry
06-05-2014, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

Unless you actually have both degrees, shut your fucking hole.

i guess it depends on what you are "good" at... writing nonsense papers and citing sources... or math and physics

revelations
06-05-2014, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

Lol, I remember having 10 hours of class on Wednesdays when I was in SAIT. Nonsense if you ask me.

I swear its all just games to try to weed out the weak and those who are unable to structure their time properly.

8baller8
06-05-2014, 10:16 AM

Never said a technical diploma was hard :dunno: You're also kidding yourself though if you think getting a BofA is hard, I've read some of the papers people hand in that receive a pass for various BofA degrees, that shit is pure awful :rofl:

But continue drinking the university degree/higher education kool-aid. I'm content with what I've done. :thumbsup:

They call it higher education for a reason. But I'm not going to get into a pissing match about it. I've been to both campuses and U of C rips SAIT to shreds in terms of intelligence of students, workload, etc. And quite honestly, I have a bunch of friends that got tech degrees and couldn't even make it to university. They'd get slaughtered in a real program.

Look at your senior management at your company. I guarantee a lot have degrees from reputable institutions to go along with masters, MBA, Phd's etc. I'm not slagging you at all, keep that in mind. I'm just the opinion that university compared to tech school is much higher learning.

CapnCrunch
06-05-2014, 10:21 AM

I swear its all just games to try to weed out the weak and those who are unable to structure their time properly.

I think honestly, that's what 95% of post secondary education is.

mazdavirgin
06-05-2014, 10:44 AM

:dunno: When I was going through EE we had 12 courses a year... Once I got out into the work force I was amazed at how much free time I had. I used to be attend classes from 8-5 then go home and do homework for 4 hours. Rinse and repeat. Weekends were typically not much better usually about 8 hours or so of homework Saturday/Sunday. Then I got into the workforce and I was like holy crap I have so much free time. :rofl:

ExtraSlow
06-05-2014, 10:51 AM
40 hours a week is a pretty good deal companred to any university degree.

revelations
06-05-2014, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin

:dunno: When I was going through EE we had 12 courses a year... Once I got out into the work force I was amazed at how much free time I had. I used to be attend classes from 8-5 then go home and do homework for 4 hours. Rinse and repeat. Weekends were typically not much better usually about 8 hours or so of homework Saturday/Sunday. Then I got into the workforce and I was like holy crap I have so much free time. :rofl:

so, 6 courses a semester :dunno:

mazdavirgin
06-05-2014, 11:22 AM

Yeah but no pansy SAIT/Devry type courses. :rofl:

mrsingh
06-05-2014, 11:41 AM
They call it higher education for a reason. But I'm not going to get into a pissing match about it. I've been to both campuses and U of C rips SAIT to shreds in terms of intelligence of students, workload, etc. And quite honestly, I have a bunch of friends that got tech degrees and couldn't even make it to university. They'd get slaughtered in a real program.

Not going to step any further into this argument, but just out of curiosity OP, how many years of work experience do you have?

pheoxs
06-05-2014, 11:46 AM

Maybe I was just a lazier student or quicker doing my work but I had tons of free time throughout university (6 course / semester taking Elec Eng / Nano tech).

If you kept even remotely on top of things most assignments were fairly quick to power through, especially doing them in groups, labs weren't bad, most of our labs we completed early and could start the lab report for the remainder of the lab time (I noticed lots of people left the second they were done the lab, then scrambling later to finish the report, why not do it then).

I dunno :dunno: Engineering wasn't that difficult, I feel as though a lot of people overplay how hard it was.

Everyone I've known that goes to post secondary seems to have to make a point how much harder their school is than everyone else, not just Engineering, like people at NAIT how their design or CAD courses were so much more complicated than calculus, or the arts people how their essays were so long (and they were doing them the night before).

:dunno: School was easy, people just seem to complain a lot.

max_boost
06-05-2014, 11:52 AM
Not gonna argue that. The classmate I worked with at SAIT were at SAIT for a reason and that includes myself :rofl: No doubt Uni ftw. not even gonna compare a diploma to a degree haha but i hated school, sait was the only thing i could quickly do and get something. mind was constantly elsewhere, couldn't focus in uni, hated being there, hated writing papers and having to cite everything on and on. irony is i can see myself going back sometime in the next 10 years to finish things up hahaha

Sugarphreak
06-05-2014, 12:22 PM

A790
06-05-2014, 01:04 PM
lol love when I see all the beyond students get their backs up as if anyone gives a shit how hard your "education" is, was, or will be.

tha_bandit
06-05-2014, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by pheoxs

I dunno :dunno: Engineering wasn't that difficult, I feel as though a lot of people overplay how hard it was.

:dunno: School was easy, people just seem to complain a lot.

Did you work or have family obligations, some people might have, different lifestyles, different levels of difficulty :dunno:

ercchry
06-05-2014, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

On the flip side I didn't spent 100K and waste 4 years of my life so I could get my foot in the door.... I just went out and did it.

word, my end goal has not and will not be to slave away at someone else's company begging for their scraps... and at the end of the day (save, a few professional designations) thats the only thing you are buying yourself with schooling.

pheoxs
06-05-2014, 02:17 PM

Did you work or have family obligations, some people might have, different lifestyles, different levels of difficulty :dunno:

Thing is if someone has certain lifestyle or family obligations that can't be used to show that school is more or less difficult, that's just their life and is a personal choice. If I spend 50 hrs a week caring for my sick parents in school, I'm probably still going to spend 50 hrs a week while I'm working. I can't go around telling people that university is insanely difficult and I can't keep up if I'm only devoting 20 hours a week to it.

Most people should be able to survive school just fine putting in a normal work week (40-50ish hrs) just fine.

6 courses = 18 hrs of class time and ~9 hrs of labs (Assuming 3 hr labs and half courses have labs on average)

That still leaves ~13-23 hrs to study and do homework. Thats ~3-5 hours of homework/studying per class more or less because there's usually a fairly slack class every semester or something you find incredibly easy and don't need to spend time on.

word, my end goal has not and will not be to slave away at someone else's company begging for their scraps... and at the end of the day (save, a few professional designations) thats the only thing you are buying yourself with schooling.

BUT HOW ELSE DO YOU MAKE YOURSELF FEEL SPECIAL IF YOU CAN'T PUT 4 MAGICAL LETTERS AFTER YOUR NAME TO ASSERT THAT YOU KNOW MORE THAN ANYONE ELSE ABOUT EVERYTHING!?!*

*I actually had someone say 'I know what I'm talking about because I'm an engineer' ... we weren't talking about anything at all engineering related, just that he figured he knew everything.

Sugarphreak
06-05-2014, 02:20 PM

Canmorite
06-05-2014, 02:34 PM
So much hate for people with degrees from people who don't have one. We're not all know-it-all d-bags. What are you mad at? :dunno:

I could have skipped uni and gone the trade route, but I can't picture myself doing a trade or other hard labour work as a career. Totally fine with giving up those 'extra earnings' to do my chosen career path.

I've met a lot of succesful people (CAs, Engineers, CFAs, etc) in Oil & Gas who built their skill set working for someone else for 10+ years, then went on their own and are killing it. The 'slave away for someone' is not the only path.

mrsingh
06-05-2014, 02:51 PM
Now that this thread is derailed I will say this.

At the end of the day you will meet all sorts of people, those with high school education, diplomas, degrees and post-graduates at all sorts of levels of varying degrees of success within companies.

It is up to the individual (and some luck), to make something of themself. Credentials don't guarantee you a seat on a board, just as not having them will not necessarily bar you from a seat either.

That being said, as you move up the corporate ladder, they definitely do help. Just my $0.02.

DISCLAIMER: I do not have a degree. I left university years ago because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with my life. I worked for a while, then went back later in life to study engineering technology and re-entered the workforce.

Cos
06-05-2014, 02:51 PM

403ep3
06-05-2014, 02:57 PM
^^ Yeah so much tension is this damn thread.

I chose the university & designation route as I knew I would be more successful and happy than make tons of money at a younger age. I wouldn't change a damn thing :guns:

ercchry
06-05-2014, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite

I've met a lot of succesful people (CAs, Engineers, CFAs, etc) in Oil & Gas who built their skill set working for someone else for 10+ years, then went on their own and are killing it. The 'slave away for someone' is not the only path.

are we agreeing or arguing? :rofl:

tha_bandit
06-05-2014, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Cos
I've met some really retarded over-educated people. I've also met some very smart educated people. I've met poor educated people and rich high school drop outs. Live your life, dont insult other people unless you know them.

:werd: like I said before, different lifestyles, different situations. It's not simply a diploma vs degree thing, there's tons on people out there that could have easily done a degree but never got the chance, in the same way there's tons of people who slack through uni to get some piece of paper that their parents paid for :rolleyes:

and to get back on topic, yes a course teaching the basics of financial skills should be mandatory, an education should make the person 'well rounded'.

FraserB
06-05-2014, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by mrsingh

Not going to step any further into this argument, but just out of curiosity OP, how many years of work experience do you have?

Here's his post from another thread.

25 - operations manager for a fortune 500.

Guess being a Haskayne baller really paid off. At best he has 3-4 years experience.

pheoxs
06-05-2014, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

Here's his post from another thread.

Guess being a Haskayne baller really paid off. At best he has 3-4 years experience.

In all fairness mcdonalds is a Fortune 500 company... He could just be a manager of one of their reasturants lol.