PDA

View Full Version : Spotted: Sneaky plain clothes police trucks (W part of City)

Pages : [1] 2

nzwasp
06-03-2014, 12:59 PM
For the last week Ive seen this guy in montgomery along 16th at dusk, and last couple of days along bow tr. And very recently along 17th ave sw between 101st and sarcee tr.

Cop drives a Black Dodge Ram 4x4 with tool storage unit on back with lights instead of handles. He doesnt have a computer or its not visible. Ive seen him wearing a HiVi vest on so he looks more inconspicuous.

Number plate is DWU 634

Also along 17th ave sw nearer the beltline I saw a dark blue Ford F150 with all the same things except no hi vi vest and his number plate was DWU 635.

Anyone been pulled over by him? or know of similar trucks.

Lex350
06-03-2014, 01:04 PM
Yup...quite a few of these pick-ups out there right now. There are also a couple dark colored SUV's. They like to drive up on down Crowchild in the North end around 8-10pm nabbing speeders on there.

civic_stylez
06-03-2014, 01:09 PM
The ghost F150s are all over the south end of deerfoot by mckenzie and cranston. I dont mind them being there though, that stretch of deerfoot heading south is BRUTAL with speeders. I do 120 on there and get passed like im standing still most days.

nzwasp
06-03-2014, 01:11 PM
Ive only seen them in the SW around aspen area recently. Never seen them in the ne part of deerfoot or any cop really.

faiz999
06-03-2014, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by civic_stylez
The ghost F150s are all over the south end of deerfoot by mckenzie and cranston. I dont mind them being there though, that stretch of deerfoot heading south is BRUTAL with speeders. I do 120 on there and get passed like im standing still most days.

stop going so slow then....:)

schocker
06-03-2014, 01:20 PM
I thought there are three f-150 (grey, maroon, navy), one newer ram (black) and one older ram (silver). They always have a silver box in the back and lots of lights if you look close. Then a few ghost chargers and explorers and also a F250/350? super duty ford in like a greenish color.

TYMSMNY
06-03-2014, 01:23 PM
They also have a nice MB Sprinter. Saw it pull over a bike on 17th. (Mr. Green Elmo)

jsn
06-03-2014, 01:26 PM
I've seen the ghost f-150s in the SW area by bow trail a few times. It's definitely pretty sneaky as they have the silver tool box in the back and they're parked by the construction zones making you think they're your typical construction truck.

xnvy
06-03-2014, 01:31 PM
That stretch of deerfoot heading south is BRUTAL with speeders. I do 120 on there and get passed like im standing still everyday. FTFY

When there is no traffic I chill in the middle lane doing 120. The two right lanes do ~100-110. That left lane has traffic usually at ~140. No idea how they never get nabbed.

kaput
06-03-2014, 01:35 PM

Stealth22
06-03-2014, 01:53 PM
They seem to like the stealthy unmarked units a lot more now. They have a couple of new Explorers with lights in the windows. Not super difficult to spot, but you could be surprised from a distance.

I've also seen an unmarked maroon colored Ford Interceptor (Taurus) in Bowness once. Same model as the new black and white sedans, but he didn't have a pushbar on the front, to blend in more. It did have LED's in the grille though. I passed him going in the opposite direction, so I didn't see his license plate.

Originally posted by kaput
I think they hide on the Sarcee Trail overpass with their lasers. I always keep a look out on that stretch but never see them, yet I've lost count of how many times they've caught up to someone and pulled them over northbound at the Nose Hill Drive exit, and not just between 8 and 10pm.
RCMP and Sheriffs have used a similar tactic on the QE2 before, don't know if they still do. One or two guys will be on an overpass, crouched down with a laser gun, and they'll radio descriptions and/or license plates to their pals. About 1 or 2kms ahead, you'll see several cruisers parked with the reds and blues on, so as traffic slows to 60, they just point to all the speeders and pull em over.

And Crowchild is a goldmine for these guys. I don't know why people speed there so much. Its obviously not as bad as Stoney between McKenzie and Auburn Bay, but its so easy for them to pick you off.

clem24
06-03-2014, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY
They also have a nice MB Sprinter. Saw it pull over a bike on 17th. (Mr. Green Elmo)

A sprinter? Really?? Wouldn't be much of a contest between a bike and a sprinter LOL. Heck just pull into a parking garage and they can't even follow you!

faiz999
06-03-2014, 02:00 PM
they speed because the speed limit is artificially low. how the hell is it 60 until you make it to crowfoot? and how is it 80 until university?

crowchild should be min 100 for certain stretches.

Mitsu3000gt
06-03-2014, 02:21 PM
There is a navy/royal blue newer Explorer that is always doing photo radar in school zones around Braeside/Southland. I see people getting nailed by it all the time, and it has flashes for the camera on top of it.

xnvy
06-03-2014, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by clem24

A sprinter? Really?? Wouldn't be much of a contest between a bike and a sprinter LOL. Heck just pull into a parking garage and they can't even follow you! They for sure have a black one. I wouldn't be surprised if they had white and grey though.

civic_stylez
06-03-2014, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by faiz999

stop going so slow then....:)

LOL. I need to get my Cole Trickle custom plate and join in the Deerfoot 500.

Mibz
06-03-2014, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by xnvy
When there is no traffic I chill in the middle lane doing 120. The two right lanes do ~100-110. That left lane has traffic usually at ~140. No idea how they never get nabbed. I have no idea what you guys are talking about :D

It's pretty easy to spot parked trucks and SUVs on the side of Deerfoot, they stick out pretty badly. Not too hard to pick out most ghost vehicles during the day with the combination of unmarked pickup/Charger/Explorer, no trim/dealer stickers, no dealer license plate cover, different wheels, extra lights (side mirrors, fenders, bars) and fleet sticker.

If they put guys on the McKenzie Lake and 130th overpasses more regularly then I'm sure they'd bust me. I rarely check up there.

EDIT: $10 says I get a speeding ticket within a week now that I've posted this.

xnvy
06-03-2014, 03:22 PM

LOL. I need to get my Cole Trickle custom plate and join in the Deerfoot 500. If I see you on the highway :D

http://24.media.tumblr.com/7a8122fcf32734e85fda117a8619ab52/tumblr_mpodmaZqVf1sxemsoo1_400.gif

88CRX
06-03-2014, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
I have no idea what you guys are talking about :D

It's pretty easy to spot parked trucks and SUVs on the side of Deerfoot, they stick out pretty badly. Not too hard to pick out most ghost vehicles during the day with the combination of unmarked pickup/Charger/Explorer, no trim/dealer stickers, no dealer license plate cover, different wheels, extra lights (side mirrors, fenders, bars) and fleet sticker.

If they put guys on the McKenzie Lake and 130th overpasses more regularly then I'm sure they'd bust me. I rarely check up there.

EDIT: $10 says I get a speeding ticket within a week now that I've posted this.

What the hell.... I was going to post this exact same thing but didn't want to jinx it either haha.

I'm usually pretty fed up with the whole rush hour Deerfoot at Southland/Anderson gong show so once it opens up around Barlow I speed. Has anyone seen the undercover cops during rush hour?

xnvy
06-03-2014, 03:43 PM
^I have not. I never speed too much though since I'm paranoid. I've only seen one person pulled over by a unmarked white F-150 at ~5:30 on southbound Deerfoot by where it splits off into Anderson. That was back in early May. Otherwise, I don't believe I've seen them.

Chantastic
06-03-2014, 03:55 PM
If I see you on the highway :D

http://24.media.tumblr.com/7a8122fcf32734e85fda117a8619ab52/tumblr_mpodmaZqVf1sxemsoo1_400.gif

I forgot this movie existed!

Alak
06-03-2014, 04:41 PM
I spotted an older (like early 2000's) Dodge Caravan ghost car with someone pulled over. I thought it was a joke at first.

FraserB
06-03-2014, 05:00 PM
I love driving a dark blue truck with LEDs front and rear and a headache rack/ brush guard/ tonneau. Troll soooo many people, probably even more once the dealer sticker is off the back.

I do know I've got AndyL before. Made him slow down on MacLeod by Avenida :ROFL:

nixon45
06-03-2014, 05:00 PM
.I've also seen an unmarked maroon colored Ford Interceptor (Taurus) in Bowness once. Same model as the new black and white sedans, but he didn't have a pushbar on the front, to blend in more. It did have LED's in the grille though. I passed him going in the opposite direction, so I didn't see his license plate.

I have seen this one a few times up in Aspen. Very sneaky and hard to make out as a ghost car until you are right up on it.

..*JDM Hatch*..
06-03-2014, 05:01 PM
got pulled over by a maroon nissan murano 3 weeks ago. Never thought i would see that.

GotRice?
06-03-2014, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by ..*JDM Hatch*..
got pulled over by a maroon nissan murano 3 weeks ago. Never thought i would see that.

I've seen this once before. Also a Blue Subaru SUV. Not sure if it was a detective or what but he was in plain clothes. Laptop was visible as well. Not 100% it was a cop... but pretty sure.

94boosted
06-03-2014, 05:20 PM

WTF seriously :(

I thought only the fire department had Murrano's.

..*JDM Hatch*..
06-03-2014, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted

WTF seriously :(

I thought only the fire department had Murrano's.
That's what I thought. I guess I was wrong. I got pulled over on Stoney trail by shaganappi. Didn't think anything of it when I passed it. It looked like a regular murano, oem tint and wheels :dunno:

xnvy
06-03-2014, 06:39 PM
The cops have gone JDM? Shit. :cry:

speedog
06-03-2014, 09:09 PM
The cops have gone JDM? Shit. :cry:
Doubt the CPS is using JDM.

..*JDM Hatch*..
06-04-2014, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by speedog

Doubt the CPS is using JDM.
Nissan is domestic now??? :dunno:
lol

speedog
06-04-2014, 04:10 PM
Nissan is domestic now??? :dunno:
lol

Last time I checked, JDM meant Japanese Domestic Model and those would be RHD, no? Now WikiPedia (link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_domestic_market)) could be lying to me but it seems to say the same thing about JDM.

School me if WikiPedia is off base here or if I'm missing something.

..*JDM Hatch*..
06-04-2014, 04:14 PM

Last time I checked, JDM meant Japanese Domestic Model and those would be RHD, no? Now WikiPedia (link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_domestic_market)) could be lying to me but it seems to say the same thing about JDM.

School me if WikiPedia is off base here or if I'm missing something.

i know what JDM is. I'm assuming he meant that CPS using JDM/Imports now as UC's.

BavarianBeast
06-04-2014, 04:17 PM
I got pulled over by an absolute babe in a jacked up unmarked F150..

Took off from a light WOT from 0-100 (100 speed limit) and this jacked up truck tosses on its red and blues and pulls me over. Asked me if I was in a hurry, said yes I need to get to a meeting. She told me to have a nice day and stop driving like a douche haha.

Best encounter ever.

btimbit
06-04-2014, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
I love driving a dark blue truck with LEDs front and rear and a headache rack/ brush guard/ tonneau. Troll soooo many people, probably even more once the dealer sticker is off the back.

I do know I've got AndyL before. Made him slow down on MacLeod by Avenida :ROFL:

Same with my old F-150. Took me a while to figure out why people always slowed down whenever I merged behind them on deerfoot.

CPS' white F-150 is off in Ford heaven now though. Just a few dark ones remaining. Blue and grey iirc.

xnvy
06-04-2014, 06:12 PM

i know what JDM is. I'm assuming he meant that CPS using JDM/Imports now as UC's. Yeah that's what I meant. Didn't think people would take it so literally but it's okay. Speedog is getting kind of on the old side ;)

bignerd
06-04-2014, 06:23 PM
They for sure have a black one. I wouldn't be surprised if they had white and grey though.

They do have a dark grey metallic MB Sprinter as well, I have seen them in the NE doing tactical exercises with police dogs and they will be driving this along side...

BlueHaloGirl
06-05-2014, 09:13 AM
Last week on Stoney trail just before 16th Ave turnoff I saw a blacked out Challenger lights flashing with someone pulled over. Would have never guessed this was a cop car...was a sweet looking ride.

n1zm0
06-05-2014, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY

I've seen a Sprinter van as a checkstop, I guess they have a few now instead of the big coach bus.

snowcat
06-05-2014, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by BavarianBeast
I got pulled over by an absolute babe in a jacked up unmarked F150..

Took off from a light WOT from 0-100 (100 speed limit) and this jacked up truck tosses on its red and blues and pulls me over. Asked me if I was in a hurry, said yes I need to get to a meeting. She told me to have a nice day and stop driving like a douche haha.

Best encounter ever.

What law did you break accelerating to the speed limit?

civic_stylez
06-05-2014, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by snowcat

If he was WOT, the police can stop you for driving without due care and attention. He openly admitted to driving fast. The fact that he was honest and most likely respectful was the reason he got a warning. Most cops wont hassle you for it but they can tell you to slow down. 17ave is a perfect example. Every fucktard in an modded car/lifted truck floors it from light to light. You might not break the speed limit but your still driving like an asshole.

revelations
06-05-2014, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by snowcat

They will call it "stunting".

BTW the CPS were filmed "stunting" to Tim Hortons last year .... LOL

3wvGhOIna4M

nixon45
06-05-2014, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by bignerd

They do have a dark grey metallic MB Sprinter as well

Saw it flying down deerfoot north this morning with lights on. I am sure it is all good until that thing has to take a corner at any kind of speed.. unless they have decent suspension systems?

ExtraSlow
06-05-2014, 01:13 PM
sprinter is pretty good in corners, see the top gear episode "a girl drives a van around the ring".

bjstare
06-05-2014, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
sprinter is pretty good in corners, see the top gear episode "a girl drives a van around the ring".

I'm about 99% sure that van was a ford transit, not a sprinter.:drama:

I had a buddy that worked at a tire shop for a summer job one time. He said the sprinter he drove had a governor for driving around corners (i.e. it would only let him accelerate to a certain speed on an on-ramp). Not sure how accurate that is...

Stealth22
06-06-2014, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by btimbit
CPS' white F-150 is off in Ford heaven now though. Just a few dark ones remaining. Blue and grey iirc.
They have at least one F-150 that's configured as a fully marked black-and-white unit with a lightbar on top, just like the new Interceptors.

So either the white F-150 was replaced, or they converted it to a fully-marked.

http://i2.wp.com/metronewsca.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/01_23_cal_coptruck_bweismiller.jpg

As I went looking for a picture, I found this Metro article. Apparently they're putting at least one fully marked pickup in each district, to have vehicles that are extra roomy.

Apparently the F-150's are cheaper to buy than the Explorers, and with the EcoBoost engine, get similar fuel economy to the Interceptor sedans.

http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/1010905/new-trucks-give-calgary-cops-extra-legroom/

FraserB
06-06-2014, 10:42 AM
Yeah, saw that one (or one like it) a week or so ago on Macloed by Ranchmans.

From the back or front, it could easily be mistaken for a regular truck with a brush guard or a work truck with the headache rack and toolbox.

Stealth22
06-06-2014, 11:27 AM
Yeah, saw that one (or one like it) a week or so ago on Macloed by Ranchmans.

From the back or front, it could easily be mistaken for a regular truck with a brush guard or a work truck with the headache rack and toolbox.
Yeah, the lightbar is the only thing that gives it away from either of those two angles (edit: actually, I think the tailgate has police decals on it). But from a distance, those LED lightbars are virtually invisible.

Close up, anyone can make out the unmarked F-150's because of the LED's. Unless you have a side view of the "CALGARY POLICE" decals on the doors, they would look almost the same from a distance, really.

And having heard about/seen people doing stupid shit right in front of a fully marked cruiser, you don't always need an unmarked car to catch someone doing something wrong.

I might have told this story before, but I was on a ridealong a couple years ago with CPS. We were on our way to a call, no lights or sirens. We're coming up to an intersection, making a left turn at a traffic light. Light turns red, and the two (fully marked) Crown Vics ahead of us flip on their emergency lights and go through it, cause the location of the call was literally just half a block from that intersection, and EMS was on scene and needed CPS backup.

After those two cruisers was an Asian woman in a Toyota Echo. We're behind her in a fully marked blue-and-white Explorer, and because she's in front, the officer decides to just wait for the light. Traffic going straight through has a green light, left turn light is red. Just as the oncoming traffic clears, this woman decides to just go through the red turn light. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Naturally, we pulled her over, and her excuse was that she saw the police going through the red light, so she was just following what they did. :nut:

Lex350
06-06-2014, 12:28 PM
F&ck! got a ticket yesterday for not signaling a lane change. Weird...I'm pretty compulsive about signaling. Worst of all it I was pulled over by one of those standard old Ford Ghost cars. :banghead:

TheHumbleGeek
06-07-2014, 11:22 AM
Yea, I saw the maroon interceptor this morning on my way back to the office... I've seen several F-150's, even more exploders, but the weirdest one, had to be the old beater chevy van with the speed camera... All rusted to crap, except for the two lamps on the roof... *mutter* cops can be sneaky, fortunately, I never drive bad enough to warrant getting pulled over...

bart
06-07-2014, 02:26 PM
its very simple, trucks/suvs with black sticker on plate, this wont always work, but its better to slow down, if its a rental you can easily rule it out, they have one letter followed by a dash i think

long time ago all ghost cars started CRL-xxx

DustanS
06-09-2014, 01:15 AM

clem24
06-09-2014, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by bart
its very simple, trucks/suvs with black sticker on plate, this wont always work, but its better to slow down, if its a rental you can easily rule it out, they have one letter followed by a dash i think

By the time you pull up and see that they have black sticker on their plate, it's a little too late.

nzwasp
06-09-2014, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by DustanS
What ever happened to the little Colorados? There were quite a few of them, wasn't there?

Back when CPS first got the silver ram "ghost" truck I was speeding down Glenmore and quickly came up on him but noticed the sticker and then the LED lights on the toolbox so I slowed to the speed limit. As I passed him I saw his uniform and laptop, sure enough he pulled me over and told me I was doing 106 in an 80 zone but decided to give me a obstructed license plate (winter) ticket instead because I was polite and respectful. He said he was surprised I slowed down when I approached him, and I told him it was the sticker. His response was "shit", and we both laughed about it.

There are many ways they could be even more inconspicuous, but thankfully they continue using the same markers on all the undercover cars.

How could he tell how fast you were going if you were behind him?

I thought their speed guns only detected speedsters infront of them?

Mibz
06-09-2014, 11:36 AM
I think that was one of those "Make them feel like you're giving them a break so they don't fight it" tickets. I get them too, haha.

I've come up on ghost cars pretty quickly once or twice and haven't gotten pulled over before. I also merged onto Deerfoot at a mildly ludicrous speed once and noticed a ghost SUV was behind me. I slowed right down, he checked my plate then got beside me and flashed his lights. He gave me a stern and disapproving look while shaking his head. I made an "I have no idea how I arrived at that velocity" face and that was that. If he didn't have enough to bust me then, I highly doubt they'd have enough to give you a ticket for speeding behind them.

Who knows though?

xnvy
06-09-2014, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
"I have no idea how I arrived at that velocity" face How do I make such a face?

Mibz
06-09-2014, 12:07 PM
http://www.zefrank.com/wikidata/images/Ze_oops.PNG
http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/12600000/Jared-s-Oops-face-jared-padalecki-12627090-700-393.jpg

Stealth22
06-10-2014, 03:52 PM
How do I make such a face?
I was wondering the same thing for next time! :rofl:

revelations
06-10-2014, 04:02 PM
I for one support traffic monitoring ghost cars, they can catch far more idiots (esp. on their phones) that way. Not many people drive like douche canoes when marked units are around (some still do).

Its gotten to a point where you have to be ultra careful where you speed - and by speed I mean going greater than 10+ over.

Mibz
06-10-2014, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by revelations
I for one support traffic monitoring ghost cars, they can catch far more idiots (esp. on their phones) that way. Not many people drive like douche canoes when marked units are around (some still do).

Its gotten to a point where you have to be ultra careful where you speed - and by speed I mean going greater than 10+ over. So you'd rather people act like idiots and get caught than not act like idiots in the first place?

How many people do you know who stopped speeding or using their phone while driving because they got a ticket once?

revelations
06-10-2014, 06:08 PM
^ um .... many actually?

Mibz
06-10-2014, 06:09 PM
I honestly didn't expect that answer, haha. Two different groups of people, I suppose.

revelations
06-10-2014, 06:12 PM
lol ... some people never learn and some people learn quickly !

bart
06-11-2014, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by nzwasp

How could he tell how fast you were going if you were behind him?

I thought their speed guns only detected speedsters infront of them?

they do front and rear, and i think upto 2 lanes

uqkUtTkKbTs

DustanS
06-11-2014, 08:59 PM

DustanS
06-11-2014, 09:04 PM

darthVWader
06-12-2014, 07:56 PM
I live in Cochrane and just had a blue Nissan Altima with full lights and sirens going blow past me. He had a very hard time going against the intersection lights as his emergency lights where mostly interior lights. Super weird to see

Kloubek
08-05-2014, 09:44 AM
I only searched for a relevant thread and haven't actually read it, but I doubt this was mentioned:

Today travelling on Edmonton Trail from McKnight, I spotted a blue Explorer SUV on the side which looked kinda suspicious. It had a couple of black boxes mounted to it's roof, which I imagine is the flash. I looked when I passed by, and it was certainly a photo radar vehicle.

It's not just for vans anymore. But then, we already know the police use Explorers so it's not exactly a stretch. I think it's when they start putting the equipment in a Mini that we need to get paranoid.

jaeden
08-05-2014, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I only searched for a relevant thread and haven't actually read it, but I doubt this was mentioned:

Today travelling on Edmonton Trail from McKnight, I spotted a blue Explorer SUV on the side which looked kinda suspicious. It had a couple of black boxes mounted to it's roof, which I imagine is the flash. I looked when I passed by, and it was certainly a photo radar vehicle.

It's not just for vans anymore. But then, we already know the police use Explorers so it's not exactly a stretch. I think it's when they start putting the equipment in a Mini that we need to get paranoid.

I've seen these vehicles a few times on Deerfoot. Also last night there was one on the side of Eastbound Glenmore between Blackfoot and Deerfoot.

msommers
08-05-2014, 10:07 AM
There's been photo radar on Crowchild northbound right by the Currie Barracks almost everytime I'd driven by there lately. Even at 10pm they're still out there!

toastgremlin
08-15-2014, 04:04 PM
Photo radar Explorers are in wide use on Stoney every time I've been on there.

clem24
08-18-2014, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by msommers
There's been photo radar on Crowchild northbound right by the Currie Barracks almost everytime I'd driven by there lately. Even at 10pm they're still out there!

HA they're getting sneaky. Last time, an Explorer was parked on the hill @ SB Crowchild right after the bridge over Bow Trail behind some bushes. Basically impossible to see until you round the bend.

Also cop cars love to camp out right after the 33rd Ave exit behind the buildling. Also very tough to see if you're not paying attention.

jaeden
08-18-2014, 09:23 AM
Lately on Deerfoot south they have been sitting on the shoulder with hazards on. Have also seen unmarked SUVs just cruising, typically you can tell because they are the only ones actually going 100.

Stealth22
08-18-2014, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by clem24
Also cop cars love to camp out right after the 33rd Ave exit behind the buildling. Also very tough to see if you're not paying attention.
Are you talking about one of these buildings?

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.021856,-114.117833,3a,75y,299.9h,74.33t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sPtPwwtqGPZ7aRsJpDtzwaw!2e0

I've seen them hiding on SB Crowchild too, just before the Brentwood LRT, behind this building:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.092133,-114.139858,3a,75y,276.42h,78.45t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s4QR3h4sjkmczAUB34C8Jrg!2e0

bignerd
09-03-2014, 11:30 PM
East bound Airport Trail Tunnel-unmarked Chevy SUV photo radar parked immediately adjacent to the exit of the tunnel (if you are turning South onto 36th).

This guy was backed right up to the wall---You can't see them until you are basically exiting the tunnel.

gx12
09-04-2014, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by bignerd
East bound Airport Trail Tunnel-unmarked Chevy SUV photo radar parked immediately adjacent to the exit of the tunnel (if you are turning South onto 36th).

This guy was backed right up to the wall---You can't see them until you are basically exiting the tunnel.

like him in this pic? :nut:

SCHIDER23
09-04-2014, 01:28 AM
^Wow that's really bad jeez

max_boost
09-04-2014, 02:06 AM
Radar has saved me many times now lol. Haven't been pegged with laser just yet lol

Sugarphreak
09-04-2014, 07:18 AM

01RedDX
09-04-2014, 07:26 AM

01RedDX
09-04-2014, 08:19 AM

schocker
09-04-2014, 08:28 AM
I try to only do 14 over so I would get no demerits but then you have roads like shaganappi northbound from stoney where it is 60 km/h all the way until 144th on a divided 2 lane in each direction roadway so I do 20 over there. Basically under 80 km/h over, over 80 14-20.

speedog
09-04-2014, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
And yet, they only give you that 10 km buffer. At 11 over, they can take $80 of your hard-earned money, at 20 or 30 it's a couple hundred bucks.

Bugs the shit outta me that 90 in an 80 is OK, but at 91 you are a crazy speeding maniac.
So in your humble opinion, what would be a reasonable buffer because there'll always be someone out there that'll argue that the buffer is 1kph too low.

FraserB
09-04-2014, 09:06 AM

So in your humble opinion, what would be a reasonable buffer because there'll always be someone out there that'll argue that the buffer is 1kph too low.

Speed limits should be set to the engineered speeds of the roads. Then focus on driver education so people will actually drive the limit and start enforcing the laws on the books for holding up traffic.

If you set the speed limits that way, it would pretty much eliminate speeding. Which the CPS should want to do since they do all this enforcement in the name of safety and the public good.

01RedDX
09-04-2014, 09:19 AM

speedog
09-04-2014, 09:21 AM
Speed limits should be set to the engineered speeds of the roads. Then focus on driver education so people will actually drive the limit and start enforcing the laws on the books for holding up traffic.

If you set the speed limits that way, it would pretty much eliminate speeding. Which the CPS should want to do since they do all this enforcement in the name of safety and the public good.
Well that's all fine and dandy in a perfect world but back in the reality we exist in, we have certain set limits with artificial buffers and as such, my original question (what would be a reasonable buffer because there'll always be someone out there that'll argue that the buffer is 1kph too low?) still stands.

schocker
09-04-2014, 09:29 AM

But then cps would lose out on $40mm in revenue!
There is no thought into speed limits here except $$$$
70km/h on twisty ol john laurie, 70km/h on straight highway like 144th ave :banghead:

shakalaka
09-04-2014, 09:45 AM
Apparently they are starting to target drivers going 10 km/h and over now...so it really leaves you going at 9 km/h. That's what I heard in Edmonton from a Crown Prosecutor anyway.

01RedDX
09-04-2014, 09:45 AM

speedog
09-04-2014, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Last night there was a photo Explorer on Glenmore, right under Macleod. It was barely clearing the far right lane, but had the blinkers on for safety, which was nice. So basically it was in plain sight, yet the camera kept snapping away even though everyone was going at the same speed, "with the flow" as it were. Everyone does 100 in that stretch of Glenmore, because 100 is a natural and reasonable speed which that section of the road was designed for. That's why it was parked there.
The point you are trying to make is once again some kind of fallacious slippery slope argument that has no empirical evidence to support it. Just like the people who cried that legalizing marijuana would increase its use (the opposite is true) so the people who think everybody would still push the buffer if speed limits were raised to more realistic levels, where appropriate, and mandated by engineering parameters and not by revenue collection.
It's not "some kind of fallacious slippery slope argument" - it's a very valid question. I wholly agree that speed limits on certain roads/streets are set low IMHO and have shown so in other threads in these forums, but if there are artificial buffers in place, then what would people find acceptable? Setting a buffer at 10 over won't make some people happy when they get a ticket for 11 over and if the buffer is 11 over and one gets a ticket for 12 over, then that 12 over person won't be happy.

There is no easy answer here - Bow Trail WB out of downtown, way too low IMHO. Centre Street up by Superstore in Huntington - too low IMHO. Richmond Road west of 37th Street SW should be 60kph, not 50. I could go on and on but there's really no need - the speed limits are what they are and as such, we get to play with an artificial buffer which won't make anyone necessarily pleased because there will be no one buffer that will make everyone happy.

As far as setting speed limits closer to what a street is designed for or what traffic might normally run at, that's juts a pipe dream in our local/provincial jurisdictions - otherwise the limit on the #1 out by Bassano would be 120 or 130 and not 110.

avishal26
09-04-2014, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by gx12

like him in this pic? :nut:

call calgary parking authority on him.. he's blocking a fire hydrant :rofl:

firebane
11-19-2014, 03:16 PM
You guys want to talk about sneaking trucks cops are using now...

Red/Blues flashing a cop in the driver seat... Bastards!

http://i.imgur.com/WMxvJez.jpg

BerserkerCatSplat
11-19-2014, 03:19 PM
Dayum! Was he pulling people over, or do they just use that truck for servicing the intersection camera, I wonder?

spikerS
11-19-2014, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by firebane
You guys want to talk about sneaking trucks cops are using now...

Red/Blues flashing a cop in the driver seat... Bastards!

http://i.imgur.com/WMxvJez.jpg

That is a CPS service truck for the Photo Radar Camera on the stand in the background. They use it to pull the SD cards from the camera in there, or to perform maintenance.

They don't actually use that truck for any kind of traffic enforcement.

firebane
11-19-2014, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by spikerS

That is a CPS service truck for the Photo Radar Camera on the stand in the background. They use it to pull the SD cards from the camera in there, or to perform maintenance.

They don't actually use that truck for any kind of traffic enforcement.

Interesting. Why would a cop be in the seat holding a ticket book then?

BerserkerCatSplat
11-19-2014, 03:21 PM
Maybe it was a maintenance log rather than a ticket book?

nixon45
11-19-2014, 03:23 PM
Was heading home last night in Signal Hill and saw a sneaky unmarked Red Dodge pick up.

I see someone pulled over almost every night up in the Signal Hill mall area.

firebane
11-19-2014, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
Maybe it was a maintenance log rather than a ticket book?

There were 2 other cops with the same books and 1 guy was pulled over and given a ticket.

spikerS
11-19-2014, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by firebane

There were 2 other cops with the same books and 1 guy was pulled over and given a ticket.

oh yeah, they were probably enforcing the 60kph rule when passing emergency vehicles or something since the truck had it's lights going.

Same reason cps officers man the photo radar vans, an officer has to swear that the equipment was calibrated and all that.

Tik-Tok
11-19-2014, 03:30 PM
For a second there, I thought the photo-radar box was mounted to the truck :rofl: