PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on Calgary deep south community Legacy?

Pages : [1] 2

oz388
06-03-2014, 02:21 PM
Hi just want to see if anyone bought in or did research on this community?

http://legacylife.ca/

It's probably one of the newest and cheapest community in Calgary, under current hot real estate market is it a value to you?

Mitsu3000gt
06-03-2014, 02:24 PM
If you work downtown I wouldn't even consider it. I know a lot of people who commute from Legacy/Auburn and other deep south communities and it's insane how much time they spend commuting.

you&me
06-03-2014, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
If you work downtown I wouldn't even consider it. I know a lot of people who commute from Legacy/Auburn and other deep south communities and it's insane how much time they spend commuting.

+ a billion

I cannot believe how little people consider their commute when valuing their time.

I have a friend that works downtown and recently moved into Legacy. He seems to just accept that it's 45 mins, each way, at least. That's 1.5 hours a day, 7.5 hours a week, 30 hours a month, or 360 hours a year that he'll spend commuting!

Think about it, more than two WEEKS of your life spent in traffic each year... Over your career, this could amount to over an entire year of your life. Fuck that.

(I realize I'm not accounting for vacation time, but still...)

Looking at it another way, even if your time is only worth $50/hour (wage, plus a certain intangible value), that's $18k per year, or half a million over a career, just pissed away. Again, fuck that.

J.M.
06-03-2014, 03:02 PM
Soooo far

suntan
06-03-2014, 03:11 PM
You're an evil, evil person for even thinking about living in a suburb. You should only consider skyboxes downtown, two blocks away from your work.

xnvy
06-03-2014, 03:15 PM
I live in Cranston and work at Alberta Children's Hospital. I hate my commute.

Don't do it if you have a choice.

Maxt
06-03-2014, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by you&me

+ a billion

I cannot believe how little people consider their commute when valuing their time.

I have a friend that works downtown and recently moved into Legacy. He seems to just accept that it's 45 mins, each way, at least. That's 1.5 hours a day, 7.5 hours a week, 30 hours a month, or 360 hours a year that he'll spend commuting!

Think about it, more than two WEEKS of your life spent in traffic each year... Over your career, this could amount to over an entire year of your life. Fuck that.

Looking at it another way, even if your time is only worth $50/hour (wage, plus a certain intangible value), that's $18k per year, or half a million over a career, just pissed away. Again, fuck that.

It depends on what you do for work whether or not its really wasted time.
I am in my truck for 45 minutes or so each way to work, depends on where my first job is, but its usually about that. In that time , it gives me time to mull over the work I have to do, make some calls(hands free of course :angel: ), plan out a route for the service call for the day etc.
On the way home, I order parts I need for the next day, assess what tools I need and whats in the truck, and do a little system design in my head while cruising along. I need that quiet time to do that and to wind down before I get home to my kids which are still pretty young and make a lot of racket which makes mental work tasks a little difficult once I am home. Plus i get to listen to the 80's station on satellite radio in peace.

GQBalla
06-03-2014, 03:29 PM
my commute is about 1.25 hours a day so far.

Live by crowfoot and work down by chinook.

Going is fine, 25-35 minutes usually
coming back is usually about 45 minutes

I work 7-4 usually.

The commute is a big deal IMO

suntan
06-03-2014, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
my commute is about 1.25 hours a day so far.

Live by crowfoot and work down by chinook.

Going is fine, 25-35 minutes usually
coming back is usually about 45 minutes

I work 7-4 usually.

The commute is a big deal IMO Wow, we should carpool. I do the same route.

tha_bandit
06-03-2014, 03:33 PM
Is there a poll somewhere for commute times? pretty interesting info

max_boost
06-03-2014, 03:34 PM
Can't be bothered to spend more than 15mins driving 1-way.

Xtrema
06-03-2014, 03:38 PM
Unless you work in Quarry Bay or other south office campus, don't even bother.

South traffic is a shit show every day if you want to go past Glenmore.

Sugarphreak
06-03-2014, 03:42 PM

you&me
06-03-2014, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Maxt

It depends on what you do for work whether or not its really wasted time.
I am in my truck for 45 minutes or so each way to work, depends on where my first job is, but its usually about that. In that time , it gives me time to mull over the work I have to do, make some calls(hands free of course :angel: ), plan out a route for the service call for the day etc.
On the way home, I order parts I need for the next day, assess what tools I need and whats in the truck, and do a little system design in my head while cruising along. I need that quiet time to do that and to wind down before I get home to my kids which are still pretty young and make a lot of racket which makes mental work tasks a little difficult once I am home. Plus i get to listen to the 80's station on satellite radio in peace.

That's fair enough - you're making use of your time to increase your productivity in some ways ($$$) and enjoy the non-tangible benefits in others (listening to your 80s station).

There are always ways to maximize your time, but for me, I can't reconcile the time v. cost/benefit. I put far too high a value on spending time at home with my family, cooking (intangible benefit) and a whole host of other intangible benefits. It's not so much about the money, but about the time... Days and weeks and years of my life will not be wasted sitting behind the wheel in traffic (other time behind the wheel isn't a waste ;) )

max_boost
06-03-2014, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
I get upset when it takes me more than 20 minutes to get to or from work, fuck that 45m~1hr bullshit.

Is Legacy part of the "Dirty South" area of Calgary? We need a new map.

OK it's on Macleod Trail South, good. :nut:

Keep delivering further and further south and as long as it's off Deerfoot Trail customers are like, oh it's only a few mins extra. But shit man, its annoying with so much traffic now. Communities are massive even if it's a 'neighboring community'. I hate Mahogany the most. Dunno why lol

suntan
06-03-2014, 03:51 PM
It usually boils down to affordability. People for the most part make rational choices regarding their work-living situation.

?????
06-03-2014, 04:47 PM
Autonomous cars for all would reduce the commute times.

oz388
06-03-2014, 05:05 PM
lol I feel sorry for ppl working in downtown anyways, however Legacy is just a short drive from the C-train, why can't ppl take train to downtown and I'm sure it takes same or less time than those traveling from NW train stations. During the train ride you can do some stock trading on your smartphone, by the time u arrive u probably is "rich" enough to take the day off! =p

Originally posted by you&me

+ a billion

max_boost
06-03-2014, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by ?????
Autonomous cars for all would reduce the commute times. summer ya but dunno about during a winter storm but i guess we find out in <10 years lol :rofl:

msommers
06-03-2014, 05:47 PM
During university, my average commute was about 25min to, 45+min back home. Felt like such a waste of time. I swore I'd never live far enough away from work to relive that, even in my own vehicle.

I think folks living far away from work don't enjoy the commute (who the fuck would) but the yard/detached house/space per dollar justifies it.

The 'burbs will never be my thing but I understand why people end up there.

Mibz
06-03-2014, 06:47 PM
Commute with a vehicle you love to drive and work off-peak hours. I know it's not possible for everybody, but it makes me happy.

If you can work anywhere that isn't downtown, bonus.

schurchill39
06-03-2014, 07:23 PM
This

Originally posted by oz388
lol I feel sorry for ppl working in downtown anyways, however Legacy is just a short drive from the C-train, why can't ppl take train to downtown and I'm sure it takes same or less time than those traveling from NW train stations. During the train ride you can do some stock trading on your smartphone, by the time u arrive u probably is &quot;rich&quot; enough to take the day off! =p

Plus this

Originally posted by msommers

I think folks living far away from work don't enjoy the commute (who the fuck would) but the yard/detached house/space per dollar justifies it.

The 'burbs will never be my thing but I understand why people end up there.

I live in Cranston and I love it. Commuting ~ 1hr each way to/from the office downtown definitely sucks balls but I use that time to catch up on social media and the news so I am not on my phone very much doing that stuff when I am at home.

I was looking at condos downtown when I moved to Calgary a little over a year ago. For what I paid for my single detached starter home with a bit of a yard I would only have been able to afford a condo at half the square footage in the core. My house and yard aren't the greatest things by any means but having my space tucked away in a "quiet" corner of Calgary means more to me than a shorter commute.

The next life step is to get out of working downtown all together.

oz388
06-03-2014, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Commute with a vehicle you love to drive and work off-peak hours. I know it's not possible for everybody, but it makes me happy.

If you can work anywhere that isn't downtown, bonus.

I did this when I was single no problem, however it's hard for ppl who have families.

oz388
06-03-2014, 08:21 PM
I get upset when it takes me more than 20 minutes to get to or from work, fuck that 45m~1hr bullshit.

Is Legacy part of the &quot;Dirty South&quot; area of Calgary? We need a new map.

I totally agree, since Legacy is only 5 mins away from my company thus I'm interested. Why it's "dirty south"?

Sugarphreak
06-04-2014, 07:17 AM

speedog
06-04-2014, 07:25 AM
Shitty SE digs in Lake Bonaventure...

http://www.rosspavl.com/wp-content/uploads/Lake-Bonavista-EstatesJul2013A.jpg

12223 Lake Louise Way SE $4,950,000

Nestled on a serene and exclusive setting, with private beach in sought after Lake Bonavista Estates, this Lake Bonavista Calgary luxury house has 7 bedrooms and 7 baths.

Lake Bonavista EstatesJul2013AAs one of the most stunning Lake Bonavista homes for sale, it features floor-to-ceiling windows at the great room and a gorgeous gourmet kitchen with top-of-the-line appliances like Asko, Sub Zero and Wolf. It has an exclusive gym with closet/dressing area to suit wellness needs. The second level has a laundry and 4 bedrooms including the expansive master suite with a private deck and lavish ensuite with dual sinks, steam shower, spa bath and high quality mosaic tile throughout. The completely developed basement has an incredible home theatre, future wine cellar and full wet-bar with dishwasher.

The back of this beautiful Lake Bonavista luxury house for sale has an expansive concrete patio with a cozy corner fireplace, outdoor kitchen and an exclusive beach with an aggregate exposed fire pit area.

eblend
06-04-2014, 07:46 AM

I totally agree, since Legacy is only 5 mins away from my company thus I'm interested. Why it's &quot;dirty south&quot;?

If it's so close for work then I see no reason not to, unless your significant other works downtown for example. My parents are in Silverado, which is a bit closer and on the west side of macloud, and my dad just takes the 22x all the way to work, and drops off my mom at Somerset where she gets a seat and just reads the book. I commute from Fish Creek every day, and although I would like to cut that part out of my life, I really don't mind it, as I do what others do, just browse the net, catch up on news and all that, and thus have to spend much less of my free time doing any of that.

Neil4Speed
06-04-2014, 07:50 AM
I used to have about a 20 minute commute into DT and about a 45 minute commute back. After moving to DT I am now 10 Minutes door to door by train (2 stops) and walking 2 blocks - (its about a 15 minute walk whole way, but I'm lazy haha). Doesn't make too much of a difference on the way down, but on the way back its huge. I find driving in traffic to be super tiring, now I go home refreshed after a short walk.

Aleks
06-04-2014, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by speedog
Shitty SE digs in Lake Bonaventure...

http://www.rosspavl.com/wp-content/uploads/Lake-Bonavista-EstatesJul2013A.jpg

12223 Lake Louise Way SE $4,950,000

Nestled on a serene and exclusive setting, with private beach in sought after Lake Bonavista Estates, this Lake Bonavista Calgary luxury house has 7 bedrooms and 7 baths.

Lake Bonavista EstatesJul2013AAs one of the most stunning Lake Bonavista homes for sale, it features floor-to-ceiling windows at the great room and a gorgeous gourmet kitchen with top-of-the-line appliances like Asko, Sub Zero and Wolf. It has an exclusive gym with closet/dressing area to suit wellness needs. The second level has a laundry and 4 bedrooms including the expansive master suite with a private deck and lavish ensuite with dual sinks, steam shower, spa bath and high quality mosaic tile throughout. The completely developed basement has an incredible home theatre, future wine cellar and full wet-bar with dishwasher.

The back of this beautiful Lake Bonavista luxury house for sale has an expansive concrete patio with a cozy corner fireplace, outdoor kitchen and an exclusive beach with an aggregate exposed fire pit area.

Lake Bonavista isn't part of Dirty/Filthy South

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/TykTauk/NewCalgaryQuadrants.png

Or there is this. Even more accurate

http://i.imgur.com/udpgw0D.jpg

speedog
06-04-2014, 08:19 AM
It was a phrase coined on here to describe the SE area of the city

And Bonaventure is SE.

Mibz
06-04-2014, 09:10 AM
Any area with Queensland is the Dirty South

n1zm0
06-04-2014, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
Any area with Queensland is the Dirty South

Except for the secret rich people in Diamond Cove.

Mibz
06-04-2014, 09:21 AM
Literally a diamond in the rough.

ercchry
06-04-2014, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by speedog

And Bonaventure is SE.

anything north of fish creek has moved to "inner city"

Chandler_Racing
06-04-2014, 09:47 AM
I commute into downtown from Mahogany which is a comparable distance. The drive is 30 - 45 minutes long but I consider it worth it for a few reasons:

1. I couldn't afford a 2800 sq/ft home in a nice innercity area
2. Nice to have a big pond / beach in your backyard.
3. Reasonably safe area to raise a family

It's not for everyone but it works for me.

M.alex
06-04-2014, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Aleks

Oar there is this. Even more accurate

http://i.imgur.com/udpgw0D.jpg

That's awesome :clap:

Masked Bandit
06-04-2014, 10:19 AM
Any community in the deep South (can't say dirty South cuz I live down there) is going to be long commutes to DT, but that isn't an issue for OP as he seems to work close by. If you have / will be having a young family I highly recommend spending a couple extra bucks and buying in a lake community. When we built six years ago we spend about $20,000 extra to have the same house in Chaparral versus Cranston. With the amount of usage we get out of the lake, it was worth every last penny and then some. If you're hell bent on building new, Auburn Bay or Mahogany are options. To do it all again though I wouldn't bother building and / or live in a new community. It's soooooooooo nice now to have all the construction done, trees are getting a bit bigger, lawns are all nice & green, no construction vehicles cruising around, etc.

Edit: Oh ya, those North-Enders don't like to admit it but we have better weather in the South. I don't know why but most of the storms that hit Calgary are isolated to the North side.

speedog
06-04-2014, 10:46 AM
People bitching about a 30-45 minute commute who will have no qualms about sitting in a Tim Hortons' drive-through for 10 minutes - such is life, eh.

suntan
06-04-2014, 10:47 AM
So that's where the Jews are.

8baller8
06-04-2014, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

Edit: Oh ya, those North-Enders don't like to admit it but we have better weather in the South. I don't know why but most of the storms that hit Calgary are isolated to the North side. [/B]

You funny.

Sugarphreak
06-04-2014, 10:55 AM

8baller8
06-04-2014, 11:01 AM
if you think our commutes are bad, try livin in toronto. i've heard stories of 1-1.5 hr commutes going from the north end to downtown. not to mention all the people that commute from the suburbs. Not fun.

rage2
06-04-2014, 11:09 AM
Edit: Oh ya, those North-Enders don't like to admit it but we have better weather in the South. I don't know why but most of the storms that hit Calgary are isolated to the North side.
It's because of the 800ft difference in elevation. I think the number of storms are the same, it's the severity that's different, and north just gets slightly more severe weather.

Sugarphreak
06-04-2014, 11:12 AM

speedog
06-04-2014, 11:15 AM
In my past years at TELUS when I worked in their NOC centers and such, we could track the storms by how our systems failed. Generally the summer thunder storms would generate up around Caroline and go in a SSE direction towards Calgary. They'd then skirt around the north side of Nose Hill to hit the north side of the Calgary and then roll around to the east side of Calgary and then generally follow the north side of the Bow River down towards Brooks. This would ring true for probably 70% off the bad storm activity - anything else didn't usually track in any set pattern.

Aleks
06-04-2014, 11:20 AM
We had a huge storm last night in the SW and no one is mentioning it. Hail, tons of lightning, huge downpours all around 10-11:30 last night. :dunno:

rage2
06-04-2014, 11:24 AM
We had a huge storm last night in the SW and no one is mentioning it. Hail, tons of lightning, huge downpours all around 10-11:30 last night. :dunno:
While North-Enders don't like to admit South has less storms, South-Enders don't like to admit they get ANY storms. :rofl:

Yea, we got that same storm in the north. No hail though, just lots of lightning and rain.

roopi
06-04-2014, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by rage2

While North-Enders don't like to admit South has less storms, South-Enders don't like to admit they get ANY storms. :rofl:

I can't even remember the last time I saw rain down here. :D

Mibz
06-04-2014, 11:26 AM
No hail in Walden, just a free lawn watering, street cleaning and light show.

speedog
06-04-2014, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by roopi
I can't even remember the last time I saw rain down here. :D
For sure, Tuesday afternoon in Bridlewood.

88CRX
06-04-2014, 11:27 AM

Yea was pretty bad in the dirty SE as well... didn't want to give the northerners any added ammo for the who has better weather discussion.

schurchill39
06-04-2014, 11:34 AM
And here I was thinking it was because God is punishing all the sinners... you have to admit, there is a lot more pre-marital sex going on in the North, South is all old white married guys
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

jaeden
06-04-2014, 11:53 AM
I'm in Mahogany, we had a small amount of tiny hail. Mostly couldn't even see it but I looked out and there was some on my doormat.

As far as the topic here: I imagine the downtown commute from Legacy is similar to here. I work downtown and require my car for my job, thus I must drive. I work slightly off-peak rush in the morning, and then going home 12 hours later in the evening there is no traffic. Morning commute (with no bad weather or crashes) takes me about 40 mins door to door. Evening drive is more like 30. I've been trying to use the time more effectively with podcasts/audio books. If you will be working south of downtown then that would be good for you.

We looked at Legacy briefly, but the SE communites were favored because I have family living in the area now. So while the 40 mins commutes does take some valuable time, being 5-20 mins drive from multiple family members is great especially now that the next generation of kids is starting.

I grew up in what would now be considered inner-city SW Calgary (was just the "suburbs" then). Then I until moving here I lived in inner-city NW. Honestly I would prefer to still be more central but being here about half a year, its starting to grow on me. The yard and other community amenities are valuable if they fit your lifestyle. I'mt not sure what Legacy will have to offer, though I guess its close to Fish Creek?

Be aware that living in a new community means constant daytime noise, dust, mud, and lots of heavy trucks driving through. Eventually this will stop, and during the evening and weekends it is very quiet.

Mitsu3000gt
06-04-2014, 01:34 PM
The people I know in the South use the same justification, that they use their time on the train to read, look at social media, etc. but the second a single snowflake falls, or a train breaks down, or if there is an accident, your commute is now 3-4 hours easy for the day. That is insane, and happens quite often. I spent 13 years on transit and minimum one day a week there was a massive delay. Traffic is probably even worse.

You get larger property in the deep South, and the neighborhoods are gorgeous, but the people I know rarely get to enjoy it. They get up around 5am because they have a horrible commute ahead of them downtown, and they get home around 7. In bed by 9pm because they have to get up at 5 and do it all over again, barely enough time for supper an some relaxing, never mind exercise. Weekend rolls around and you need to do all the chores and housework you didn't do in the work week because you only get 2-3 hours a weekday to yourself, and you don't want to spend it doing chores. It's awful. I know probably a dozen couples living like that in the deep south, since they both work in the core. Everyone's schedules are going to be a bit different but that is just crazy.

I get up at 7:35, at my desk by 8:00, home by 4:45. Doesn't matter how much traffic, what the trains or doing, or what the weather is like, that is when I will be home. I also get sick way less since I'm not packed into a cattle car with 200 other people for 2hr a day and no air conditioning. I'm sure I won't live downtown forever but I absolutely dread the day I have a meaningful commute again.

Masked Bandit
06-04-2014, 01:54 PM
It seems like the majority of people here assume that EVERYONE in Calgary works downtown. Maybe some of you missed where OP said he works in the deep South? I'm thankful to say that in 19 years of living in Calgary I have never had to work downtown. I know some people like it / accept it but I'm not one of them. For all the reasons that have been posted (commuting primarily), a job downtown would have to come with some wild salary increases for me to ever consider it.

n1zm0
06-04-2014, 02:26 PM
It depends on the time you have to leave too in the morning, I remember going to post-secondary near the airport, living in the Douglasdale-Mckenzie border area at the time, leaving early enough is not that bad, but if you were just 5 minutes late getting out you were fked because of the Anderson/Deerfoot North congestion.

Now in 'inner' SW near the Rockyview to airport area (near the Jews and secret rich people :) ), 20 mins to and 30 mins from max unless complete Deerfoot screw ups happen. At work by 6:30, home at 3:30, it's not so bad. It pays to live in my area I think, 10-15 mins non-rush hour to downtown via Crowchild from 14th/Glenmore, 5 mins to Chinook and South Center.

The farthest south I would want to move to now would be Diamond Cove-Anderson-Canyon Meadows kind of radius. Curse the NW :poosie:

The_Penguin
06-04-2014, 02:31 PM

I don't know why but most of the storms that hit Calgary are isolated to the North side.

Umm, where were you last night about 11:00 ?

88CRX
06-04-2014, 02:31 PM
They get up around 5am because they have a horrible commute ahead of them downtown, and they get home around 7. In bed by 9pm because they have to get up at 5 and do it all over again, barely enough time for supper an some relaxing, never mind exercise.

Those people are grossly exaggerating their commute times. From the deep SE (Cranston) into downtown (edit: just south of downtown in beltline) it takes me 30-40 minutes from door to door in the morning leaving my house at 7:45/8:00. In the winter when there is an epic snowstorm it might take an hour or maximum hour and a half but we’re talking like 4 or 5 times a year it’s that bad.

Going home if I leave at 5:00 it’s 35-45 minutes and if I leave at 5:30 its 25-30 minutes tops.

I wake up at 7:15 and I’m home on my couch by 6:00. I'm fine by this as I need the space a house provides and more importantly a garage.

Mibz
06-04-2014, 02:54 PM
I don't think it's them, I think it's him. Mitsu3000gt is a pretty dramatic guy in most of the threads he participates in :P

suntan
06-04-2014, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0
Curse the NW :poosie: NW has the hottest chicks. Market Mall is full of babes. Southcentre is full of ugly fatties.

oz388
06-04-2014, 03:02 PM
With all the planed development in Seton SE, south Calgary living should become more attractive in future. Currently having almost entire city population working in one packed district (Downtown) is really an inefficient painful system.

roopi
06-04-2014, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by suntan
NW has the hottest chicks. Market Mall is full of babes. Southcentre is full of ugly fatties.

How old are you that you're picking up chicks at the mall? :rofl:

Phihalo
06-04-2014, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX

Those people are grossly exaggerating their commute times. From the deep SE (Cranston) into downtown (edit: just south of downtown in beltline) it takes me 30-40 minutes from door to door in the morning leaving my house at 7:45/8:00. In the winter when there is an epic snowstorm it might take an hour or maximum hour and a half but we’re talking like 4 or 5 times a year it’s that bad.

Going home if I leave at 5:00 it’s 35-45 minutes and if I leave at 5:30 its 25-30 minutes tops.

I wake up at 7:15 and I’m home on my couch by 6:00. I'm fine by this as I need the space a house provides and more importantly a garage.

Agreed. I live in Sundance and I leave home at 7:15, drop off kid at dayhome in Millrise and get in around 8. The worst was a 2hr 1 way during the snowstorm and that happened once last year. I wouldn't mind living in the inner city if I can afford 700k+ house. Living downtown is really not an option when you have kids IMO; space and safety is a major factor to consider as well.

suntan
06-04-2014, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by roopi

How old are you that you're picking up chicks at the mall? :rofl: Excuse me, I just take pics and submit them to various sites...

suntan
06-04-2014, 03:08 PM
With all the planed development in Seton SE, south Calgary living should become more attractive in future. Currently having almost entire city population working in one packed district (Downtown) is really an inefficient painful system. Everybody working downtown is a myth.

There's around 750K people that work in Calgary. Around 120K work downtown. More people actually work in the east industrial district, but fuck them.

Mitsu3000gt
06-04-2014, 03:09 PM

Those times seem way too short to me, and I know for a fact my friends are not exaggerating their commutes since I've unfortunately had to commute with them the odd time. My experience however is with Auburn, not Cranston, but I'm assuming they have similar commutes.

There is no way in hell I could drive from DT to Auburn in 30 min at 8am or 5pm.

I have 2 coworkers living in Cranston, they both claim it takes them about an hour each way on a normal day with no weather or traffic issues. They are in the core though.

Anyway, if you are actually making that drive in 30 mins in peak rush hour, that is amazing. I could never manage that. It takes me about 25 minutes door to door, speeding with no traffic in the middle of the night from West Beltline to Auburn, I make that drive on a very regular basis. Maybe I'm taking a shitty route or something.

suntan
06-04-2014, 03:15 PM
I dunno, if I'm downtown and leave at rush hour it takes me around 12-15 minutes to the NW boonies.

schocker
06-04-2014, 03:27 PM
I dunno, if I'm downtown and leave at rush hour it takes me around 12-15 minutes to the NW boonies.
Takes me 25-30 mins in rush hour home to sage hill from sw downtown :burnout:
nw is goat

suntan
06-04-2014, 03:29 PM
I just take Crowchild up, it's not too bad.

thinmyster
06-04-2014, 03:36 PM
For what its worth, it took me just shy of 20 minutes door to door from the core to Cranston at 3am (working nights) going 120-130 on deerfoot with maybe <10 cars on the road.

The past couple weeks ive worked days 6 - 6 and the train hasn't been a problem yet. Im just waiting tho...

Masked Bandit
06-04-2014, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by The_Penguin

Umm, where were you last night about 11:00 ?

Sleeping like a baby because I had been at home for 6 hours already :D

rage2
06-04-2014, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by schocker

Takes me 25-30 mins in rush hour home to sage hill from sw downtown :burnout:
nw is goat
There's a huge difference in commute times between the "kinda rich people" NW communities off Crowchild and the "Not As Rich People" NW communites that's close to the NE. Unfortunately, Sage hill is on the wrong side of Nose Hill park and has to suffer.

My parents live in Kincora, and it fucking sucks driving up there from DT during rush hour. Easy 40 mins. Meanwhile, I'm home in around 20 minutes +/- 3 mins every single day because I'm a Crowchild Trail border community.

What community? I can only do 12-15 mins if all the lights are timed right and it's 1am haha.

Redlyne_mr2
06-04-2014, 03:53 PM
Coming from a small town these new areas just disgust me. I live in one of the closer suburbs to downtown and I still hate it. I hate the fact that there are no back alleys, no large trees and you're 6ft away from the house next to you. There also isn't any parking in front of most houses and you have little to no privacy.

eblend
06-04-2014, 03:54 PM
The people I know in the South use the same justification, that they use their time on the train to read, look at social media, etc. but the second a single snowflake falls, or a train breaks down, or if there is an accident, your commute is now 3-4 hours easy for the day. That is insane, and happens quite often. I spent 13 years on transit and minimum one day a week there was a massive delay. Traffic is probably even worse.

You get larger property in the deep South, and the neighborhoods are gorgeous, but the people I know rarely get to enjoy it. They get up around 5am because they have a horrible commute ahead of them downtown, and they get home around 7. In bed by 9pm because they have to get up at 5 and do it all over again, barely enough time for supper an some relaxing, never mind exercise. Weekend rolls around and you need to do all the chores and housework you didn't do in the work week because you only get 2-3 hours a weekday to yourself, and you don't want to spend it doing chores. It's awful. I know probably a dozen couples living like that in the deep south, since they both work in the core. Everyone's schedules are going to be a bit different but that is just crazy.

I get up at 7:35, at my desk by 8:00, home by 4:45. Doesn't matter how much traffic, what the trains or doing, or what the weather is like, that is when I will be home. I also get sick way less since I'm not packed into a cattle car with 200 other people for 2hr a day and no air conditioning. I'm sure I won't live downtown forever but I absolutely dread the day I have a meaningful commute again.

I used to live downtown and was 20 minutes walk away from work, like 5 min driving, and it was great, but then I still moved out into Evergreen and enjoy it a lot more. I leave at 6:25, at work by 7:05. The train does suck sometime when it breaks down and it's packed to hell, but really it isn't so bad for what you get. I fix cars in my garage, work on various projects and stuff, things I couldn't do when living downtown.

Also, anyone who only has 2-3 hours of free time needs to man up haha (kidding kidding), I sleep at midnight and wake up at 5:30 (+ 3 snoozes...so just before 6), get home at 4:45 every day, and got a good solid 7 hours of free time to do whatever :D On weekends I fall asleep at like 2AM and sleep through 10AM, that's my catchup on sleep time, and of course I take a nap here and there during my 7 hours of free time as well if I feel extra tired.

If the train brakes down or something happens it really blows, but I just take #3 to get to Heritage and then take the train from there. I think at most a very bad case is an extra hour a day, and although there are constant problems with transit, rarely are they any longer then 15 minutes, with those exceptions mentioned above.

codetrap
06-04-2014, 03:54 PM
There's a huge difference in commute times between the &quot;kinda rich people&quot; NW communities off Crowchild and the &quot;Not As Rich People&quot; NW communites that's close to the NE. Unfortunately, Sage hill is on the wrong side of Nose Hill park and has to suffer.. Think so? I'm 40 minutes on the BUS.. When I ride, I'm 20-25 minutes on average. Driving is 25-30. Country Hills...

It's all about the route baby. :clap:

suntan
06-04-2014, 03:59 PM

What community? I can only do 12-15 mins if all the lights are timed right and it's 1am haha. One of the "Kinda rich".

There is no god damned way it's taking you that long. I can get from my house to Chinook Centre in 15 minutes if there's no traffic.

C_Dave45
06-04-2014, 04:07 PM

Those people are grossly exaggerating their commute times.

Bingo! People do this all the time, and I'm guilty of it as well. I get into a traffic jam on the deerfoot and phone the wife to whine "It's a PARKING LOT here, it's gonna take me HOURS to get home"...when in fact it only takes an extra 20 minutes because of an accident.

Being in construction and working literally in every single community, suburb and small town surrounding Calgary, there's not a route, or a commute I haven't done on a regular basis. Many times, more than one on any given day. The LONGEST commute I've ever regularly had is from Canyon Meadows to Rocky Ridge or Panorama, and that's 45 minutes, WITH traffic.

Almost anywhere in the city, it's 30-35 minutes tops. People run into a hiccup and say "Fuck me, it took an HOUR AND A HALF to get into work.." when it only took 45 minutes.

88CRX
06-04-2014, 04:10 PM
I have 2 coworkers living in Cranston, they both claim it takes them about an hour each way on a normal day with no weather or traffic issues. They are in the core though.

Are they driving up MacLeod Trail to and from work... that's the only way it should be taking them an hour. And do they not take the same route long enough that they know all the shortcuts and which lanes to be in. Makes a huge difference.

I'll time my drive home tonight. And I wont speed (too much).

rage2
06-04-2014, 04:13 PM
One of the &quot;Kinda rich&quot;.

There is no god damned way it's taking you that long. I can get from my house to Chinook Centre in 15 minutes if there's no traffic.
To be fair, 5 or so mins of my commute is Crowchild to my house. I'm kinda buried in my community.

Funny that we complain about commute times. My brother who used to live in Chicago would drive 1hr 15min hrs each way on his best days, 2 hrs if it snows haha.

Neil4Speed
06-04-2014, 04:15 PM
Also these commute times are really dependant on location in the core. Leaving from Bankers Hall vs Leaving AMEC Place going west will have dramatically different times.

jaeden
06-04-2014, 04:29 PM

Which route would that be? Between 4:30 and 6:30 it used to take me 30+ minutes just to go from Beltline to just north of the river on 14 or Crow. Granted I didn't do that very often but it seemed consistent whichever way I tried.

rage2
06-04-2014, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by jaeden
Which route would that be? Between 4:30 and 6:30 it used to take me 30+ minutes just to go from Beltline to just north of the river on 14 or Crow. Granted I didn't do that very often but it seemed consistent whichever way I tried.
Noob.

For beltline, 10th Ave, for downtown 6th Ave --> 14th St --> Memorial --> Crowchild --> Immediately rip to the left lane to pass everyone --> Rip to the furthest right lane before the left lane turns off under the bridge (right lane opens to 2 lanes so it's freer flowing) --> rip to the new extra right lane at the strip mall and pass everyone --> rip back to the left lane before 24th Ave (the slow mergers fuck up traffic after 24th Ave).

Unbelievable how much time you save using this method haha. I can go from my office to McMahon Stadium in 7 or 8 minutes this way.

msommers
06-04-2014, 04:48 PM
Rage2, I have no idea (well actually I do lol) how you get home that quickly, even at 1am with the lights. From your office (which I think is by the crack mac's) to (I think) middle of Arbour Lake is apparently ~17km, or so says Google Maps. Just distance alone using 12 minutes, that's an average of 85km/hr, including downtown, crowchild and residential roads.

I drive from the old children's hospital to the north end of the university to work, and south bound traffic seems OK between 8-9am. But coming home, northbound is an absolute shitshow from 24ave to 17ave and further south. And getting onto crowchild from 10th ave I can only imagine is a snail's pace.

I'm against rush hour to and from work and it's right around 15minutes, and I'm not even touching downtown!

lilmira
06-04-2014, 05:03 PM
14st going north after work lately is a bit better due to the construction south of ~11ave south, diverting a lot of traffic elsewhere.

10ave can be hit or miss with the bike lane. It doesn't open up till by the korean shopping place, there can be a line up waiting to go west of 14st while the right turn lane to 14st north is empty. I guess you can risk it and buzz down the bike lane for a couple blocks.

rage2
06-04-2014, 05:24 PM
Today's commute using the exact shortcut I described. Door to door. Pretty average.

Stopped at 24ave before McMahon:
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/9915C414-0D00-438D-AAF7-FF4347176AE3_zpsjttezcoy.jpg

Stopped at Crowfoot lights:
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/B1F9A603-1931-47A2-806C-0CCF0AC9443F_zpsoozarz0o.jpg

Stopped at my house:
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/AB7174E6-94C8-4E58-B92D-64D0F978AF17_zpsvlkynqvk.jpg

:dunno:

schocker
06-04-2014, 05:24 PM
More like 10th street, memorial, 19th street 16th ave, motel village shortcut, crowchild, shaganappi :burnout:

rage2
06-04-2014, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by schocker
More like 10th street, memorial, 19th street 16th ave, motel village shortcut, crowchild, shaganappi :burnout:
10th Street Bridge is terrible for left turns. Huge waits.

19th Street used to be a great shortcut, until everyone started using it. I still think it's me posting about how awesome it is, and now it's useless. It's terrible now too.

88CRX
06-04-2014, 05:55 PM

I'll time my drive home tonight. And I wont speed (too much).

Sat down in my car at 5:20 and was parked in front of my house by 5:48.

Wish I had pictures for proove :dunno:

speedog
06-04-2014, 05:58 PM
Even Deerfoot NB during the PM rush can be done in a better time if you know which lane to be in at the right time - problem is most people are just like cows following the next one in line.

Maxt
06-04-2014, 06:41 PM
Today's commute using the exact shortcut I described. Door to door. Pretty average.

Stopped at 24ave before McMahon:
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/9915C414-0D00-438D-AAF7-FF4347176AE3_zpsjttezcoy.jpg

Stopped at Crowfoot lights:
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/B1F9A603-1931-47A2-806C-0CCF0AC9443F_zpsoozarz0o.jpg

Stopped at my house:
http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/AB7174E6-94C8-4E58-B92D-64D0F978AF17_zpsvlkynqvk.jpg

:dunno:
Where exactly is your dash cam mounted? :poosie:

Sugarphreak
06-04-2014, 08:24 PM

Sugarphreak
06-04-2014, 08:49 PM

rage2
06-04-2014, 09:05 PM
My car has a drinking problem. If that light came on any later, I won't make it home haha.

schocker
06-04-2014, 09:17 PM

10th Street Bridge is terrible for left turns. Huge waits.

19th Street used to be a great shortcut, until everyone started using it. I still think it's me posting about how awesome it is, and now it's useless. It's terrible now too.
I find it OK most days as I leave around 5. The problem is the repainted turn lanes from 8th st onto 4th ave as now 2 of the 3 lanes turn to go onto bow trail and no one follows them. I currently carpool with a person so I have to take 19th to drop them off. Waze always tells me to take 19th all the way to john laurie though which is the worst route possible. I thought it is hard to merge from 14th on memorial because it is a yield and lots of slow cars there every time I drive past. Maybe I will try 6th ave tomorrow. Isn't it backed up and hard to turn onto though?

jaeden
06-04-2014, 10:44 PM

Noob.

For beltline, 10th Ave, for downtown 6th Ave --&gt; 14th St --&gt; Memorial --&gt; Crowchild --&gt; Immediately rip to the left lane to pass everyone --&gt; Rip to the furthest right lane before the left lane turns off under the bridge (right lane opens to 2 lanes so it's freer flowing) --&gt; rip to the new extra right lane at the strip mall and pass everyone --&gt; rip back to the left lane before 24th Ave (the slow mergers fuck up traffic after 24th Ave).

Unbelievable how much time you save using this method haha. I can go from my office to McMahon Stadium in 7 or 8 minutes this way.

Hmm well maybe I had bad luck then because that was pretty much exactly my trip, except I kept straight on Memorial past Crow cuz I was in Parkdale. I always found 11th, 10th or 6th to be equally slow.

I do know it makes a big difference which lane you are in at some points. Maybe I just didn't do the trip at that time often enough...

Maybe some GPS wizard can suggest a better way for me to get into work now that I am in deep SE.

Currently I am going Deerfoot > Glenmore > Blackfoot > 42nd > Macleod. In worse weather I avoid DF completely and use Barlow > Shepard > Glenmore.

Oops almost forgot, using Manhattan to get to 42nd.

ExtraSlow
06-05-2014, 06:32 AM
Shepard/Ogden road are awesome.

JamMan23
06-10-2014, 07:58 AM
I recently purchased in Legacy (I move in August), so I'll tell you why I chose there, since most of this discussion has been a generic "long commutes suck" discussion.

For starters, like you said, the homes are relatively cheap. The house I bought worked out to be around $244/sqft (duplex).

I actually enjoy taking the train into work (downtown), it's less than 10 minutes to Somerset station. Also, when they get around to extending the track, there will be a Silverado, then 210th Ave station, the the track only gets closer to you.

It's also less than 10 minutes to the mall in Shawnessy, so you have all your shopping there.

Eventually there will be a mall at 210th Ave, which you can read about here: http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/LUPP/Documents/Publications/south-macleod-centre-asp.pdf?noredirect=1

oz388
06-11-2014, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by JamMan23
I recently purchased in Legacy (I move in August), so I'll tell you why I chose there, since most of this discussion has been a generic &quot;long commutes suck&quot; discussion.

For starters, like you said, the homes are relatively cheap. The house I bought worked out to be around $244/sqft (duplex).

I actually enjoy taking the train into work (downtown), it's less than 10 minutes to Somerset station. Also, when they get around to extending the track, there will be a Silverado, then 210th Ave station, the the track only gets closer to you.

It's also less than 10 minutes to the mall in Shawnessy, so you have all your shopping there.

Eventually there will be a mall at 210th Ave, which you can read about here: http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/LUPP/Documents/Publications/south-macleod-centre-asp.pdf?noredirect=1

Thanks for the information, which builder did u choose? do they have referral program that maybe we can share the money if I build with them too? =)

JamMan23
06-11-2014, 08:54 AM

Thanks for the information, which builder did u choose? do they have referral program that maybe we can share the money if I build with them too? =)

I'm building with Shane Homes, they do have a referral program, you get 1-2k depending on the size of the home I believe, which I'd be happy to split. Let me know if you do end up going with them (there is a form to have to show them before signing the purchase agreement).

oz388
06-11-2014, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by JamMan23

I'm building with Shane Homes, they do have a referral program, you get 1-2k depending on the size of the home I believe, which I'd be happy to split. Let me know if you do end up going with them (there is a form to have to show them before signing the purchase agreement).

Ya I will let u know, I think we should start a thread to share new home referral program information; I don't see why not to take this free cash from builders.

I'm also interested to be referred by Baywest and Trico owners.