PDA

View Full Version : iOS 8

jwslam
06-04-2014, 07:40 AM
Yup this sums it all up (yes I was bored)

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/06/great-artists-steal-the-ios-8-features-inspired-by-android/

Apple has taken the wraps off iOS 8, its newest mobile operating system, at its WWDC keynote. There were lots of new features added to iOS, but any observer familiar with Android saw quite a few things that seem... familiar. That's because many of Apple's announced upgrades were things the Android OS has boasted for years.
http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/predicts_screen_messages1.jpg
Apple added a little bar of suggestions to the top of the keyboard, which Android had (initially as an option) since the introduction of the on-screen keyboard in Android 1.5. While Android's keyboard just blindly does word pairs, iOS 8 seems to be able to intelligently offer suggestions in response to an "A" or "B" question. In the example, a friend asks about "dinner or a movie." Without typing anything, iOS offers "A movie," "Dinner," and "Not Sure." If this actually works reliably, it's a big step above the Android keyboard. Of course, we're just comparing this to the standard Google Keyboard available through Google Play. That's not the only typing solution on Android, which brings us to...

Third party keyboards
http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/kb3.jpg
Apple finally relinquished its grip on the system keyboard, allowing third parties to replace Apple's solution with something of their own. This was another thing Android had with its initial implementation of on-screen typing in Android 1.5. Apple even showed off an iOS version of Swype, one of the most popular third-party Android keyboards. We've already heard from Swiftkey, the other most popular Android keyboard, that it is working on a system-wide iOS 8 version, too.

Until now, third-party iOS keyboards could only work as a standalone app with their own typing interface. For instance, Fleksy could only work in the Flexy app, not in any other app. Fleksy made a workaround for this with an API that other apps could plug in to, but this required developers to add support on an app by app basis. (Fleksy has also announced that it will be adapting its keyboard to use Apple's new APIs.)
http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/androidkeyboards-640x283.jpg
With user-replaceable system-wide keyboards, iOS users should be in for a wild ride of text input nirvana. Opening up the keyboard to third parties on Android has enabled tons of innovation, sometimes very useful (like Swype) and sometimes downright weird. Even users that don't switch to a third-party keyboard will eventually see a benefit, as, like Google, Apple will be able to see which keyboards become popular with users and adopt some of those ideas (like Swyping).

Inter-app communication
http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/IMG_99401.jpg
iOS apps are no longer siloed in their own little boxes in iOS 8. Apple has implemented cross-app communication that works much like the Intents system in Android, though Apple's APIs are more restrictive. The previous method for moving something from a photo editor to Google+ on iOS would involve saving the picture, going to the home screen, opening Google+, opening the camera roll, and finding the picture again. Now (presumably) you'll just be able to hit share from the photo editor and pick "Google+."

What Apple still doesn't do is allow third-party applications to be set as the default. In Android, you can also pick default apps for things like a browser, music player, maps, or photo picker, making those third-party apps feel more like native parts of the OS. It's hard to imagine Apple allowing users to completely replace its apps with an alternative, but yesterday we would have said it's hard to imagine Apple allowing users to replace its keyboard.

Hotwords, music recognition, and streaming voice recognition
http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/2014-06-02-20.021-640x563.jpg
Google released Voice Actions, Apple released Siri, then Google countered with Google Now. Since then, the two have been compared in countless voice recognition shoot outs.

Google was the first to experiment with hotword detection on Google Glass and again later on in the Google Now Launcher that shipped with the Nexus 5. As long as the device was awake, saying "OK Google" would fire up the voice recognizer without having to touch the device. Now, iOS 8 matches that with "Hey Siri," which you can shout at the device to have it start listening.

Hotword detection means the mic is hot all the time, and the device is constantly processing the input. This means battery life is a big concern. The Google Now Launcher and Google Glass only do hotword detection when the screen is on, but the Moto X managed to solve the battery problem with a dedicated voice processor, enabling always-on voice recognition with decent runtime. Apple's current hardware includes no such coprocessor, so iOS 8 hotword detection comes with a big caveat: it only works when the device is plugged in.

Another new Siri feature is integrated music recognition, powered by Shazam. Google released a sound search app in 2012, and it had music recognition integrated into Google voice search for a while now. Shazam was founded in 1999, so while Google integrated it into their devices first, Shazam is one of the earliest voice recognition programs (and the company has offered a dedicated iOS app for some time).

Siri is also getting streaming voice recognition in iOS 8, another feature Google Now already has. Siri currently does voice recognition in a big brick. You speak into the microphone, the entire phrase is packaged up, sent to Apple, processed, and sent back. Streaming voice recognition sends each word to the server and back, meaning you can see the recognition as you speak. It's much nicer than getting a big block of text back all at once, especially for voice typing.

Google Now is one of the big differentiators Google has over Apple. Google's voice assistant is all done in-house. The voice recognition technology is Google's, as is the music recognition and answer service. Siri was originally a third-party app done by a small development studio, and it's really a collection of third-party services that Apple doesn't own. Siri's voice recognition is powered by Nuance. As we just learned, the music recognition is powered by Shazam, and most of the answers come from Wolfram Alpha or Bing. Google's total control over everything allows it to implement things like hotword detection and streaming voice recognition sooner than Apple. Ultimately, voice recognition is really a search engine, so it makes sense that Google excels in this area.

Notification Actions
http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/interactive_notifications_gallery_screen_mail.jpg
A notification pops up and... what do you do with it? Android has allowed developers to add up to two action buttons to a notification since Android 4.1, which means you can often deal with a notification right from the notification drawer. Now Apple is jumping on the bandwagon with its own version of the feature, and it looks very much like the Android implementation.

In fact, Apple has one-upped Google on the notification front by attaching a working text box to some notifications. On incoming text messages, you can directly type into the notification and hit send without ever having to open the app. Android always needs to open the app to reply.

Notification Action buttons are a powerful tool, and Google has seamlessly built in a notification API to make the text and buttons (even from third-party apps) show up on an Android Wear device. Being able to be notified of a text message on a watch, tapping reply, and speaking sounds very powerful. We wonder if Apple is planning the same thing for the fabled iWatch.

Videos in the App Store
http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/IMG_9925.jpg
Yep, Apple only now added the ability to view videos in the App Store. Google owns YouTube, making it the undisputed king of video on the Internet. Android users had this feature since 2010, before Google Play was even called Google Play.

Beta testing
Google loves to beta test, so it should come as no surprise that Google rolled out an app beta testing system for developers before Apple did. Apple bought a testing solutions company called "TestFlight" a while back, and the company has turned it into an iOS 8 feature. Developers can now invite users to try out beta versions of their iOS 8 app and help squash some bugs.

Hopefully the process is easier than Google's, which currently requires a Google+ account and a Google+ beta testing community to be created. After G+ users sign up for the Google+ beta testing community for your app, they can reinstall the app from the Play Store to get the new version.

Widgets
http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/IMG_9944.jpg
Widgets have been a mainstay of Android since 1.0, with third parties allowed to get in on the action in 1.5 and above. Android uses a completely customizable desktop with a mix of icons and widgets. Apple's version of the idea is a little more limited—iOS 8 widgets are small app extensions that take up a spot in the Notification Center. In the past, these widgets have been limited to system apps only, but in iOS 8, third parties can finally make their own.

Photo backup and storage
Cloud has always been the perennial "catch up to Google" product, and Apple continues this with iOS 8. The ad copy touts "Every photo you take. Now on all your devices," a feature Android has offered for some time. As one of the biggest cloud companies out there, Google is always working on making everything go to every other device. Automatic photo backup first went to "Picasa Web albums," and now it's part of Google+ Photos.

Android makes almost no distinction between local or cloud photos. Anything local is sent to the cloud once you enable the feature, and the photo browser seamlessly displays everything as just "a picture," without worrying where it is stored.

CloudKit
http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/IMG_9983.jpg
Does the description of a new iOS 8 feature contain the word "cloud?" If so, Google probably already has something similar. Apple's CloudKit lets developers plug iCloud into their apps to handle things like authentication, push notifications, and database syncing. It basically allows the developer to handle the local app while Apple handles all the hard server stuff.

Allow us to direct your attention to the Google Cloud Platform, home to myriad Google-hosted cloud services, ranging from push notifications to infrastructure as a service. As a bonus, Google's solution works on iOS, Android, and the Web, allowing for easier cross-platform development.

Battery Stats
http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/iphone-battery-640x560.jpg
It wasn't talked about in the keynote, but since then one Apple feature has been a topic for various rumor sites—the availability of per-app battery stats in iOS 8. If you're eating through your battery a little quicker than you would like, just check out the settings, where you can see battery usage broken down by app. Android added a similar battery usage indicator in version 1.6.

We aren't sure which one we like better. Android's is cool because it offers more visual options, showing bars and even offering a graph at the top that you can tap on to expand. Android only keeps data for the current charge though. Judging by the screenshot, iOS 8 keeps a running log from the last seven days, which will better help track down a misbehaving app.

In a few weeks, it'll be Google's turn to show us what it's been working on. And with the way OSes are developed these days, we wouldn't be surprised to see a few features that appear ripped right from an Apple product. All current technology depends on the work that has come before it, and no company—not even Apple or Google—is immune to that.

rx7boi
06-04-2014, 08:12 AM
Cool, I'll give IOS8 a try and hope they jailbreak that shit ASAP!

ZMan2k2
06-04-2014, 08:16 AM
So Apple sues Samsung because they're phones are too similar to what the Apple phone is, then Apple turns around and rips off Google with many of the ideas that have been found in Android for years? :facepalm:

Mitsu3000gt
06-04-2014, 08:38 AM
Lol, this is the first thing I thought when I was reading about iOS 8. They took a bunch of things Android has had for ages, and copied them to a tee.

I have to use iPhones at work, so I guess the good news is that when we finally get upgrades, my phone will have some features it should have had years ago.

ZEDGE
06-04-2014, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by ZMan2k2
So Apple sues Samsung because they're phones are too similar to what the Apple phone is, then Apple turns around and rips off Google with many of the ideas that have been found in Android for years? :facepalm:

To be fair, Android left iOS in the dust years ago. Apple is just starting to catch up. Those rich iOS users are a fickle bunch, they don't like change. ;)

schocker
06-04-2014, 08:46 AM
Kind of amusing touting all these BIG NEW FEATURES, they were clearly needed though but it is nothing new. Didn't realize ios didn't have some of those features already though.

ZMan2k2
06-04-2014, 08:54 AM
So, what's Google's next step? Apple sued Samsung for some minor visual cues on their phones that resembled what Apple had for years, and now Apple blatenty rips off Google's OS almost to a tee? I see a lawsuit in the near future.

ZEDGE
06-04-2014, 08:57 AM
So, what's Google's next step? Apple sued Samsung for some minor visual cues on their phones that resembled what Apple had for years, and now Apple blatenty rips off Google's OS almost to a tee? I see a lawsuit in the near future.

Don't think so. AFAIK Google and Apple settled all their differences.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/apple-google-to-settle-smartphone-patent-lawsuit-1.2645940

eblend
06-04-2014, 09:02 AM

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-05-16/apple-google-agree-to-dismiss-lawsuits.html

Apple probably tried to get this negotiated before they released IOS 8....because they knew that most if the "new" features are just copies directly out of Android.

rage2
06-04-2014, 09:04 AM
Only patentable ideas/features can be sued. Problem is the patent office really dictating what's patentable.

This list seems to be the "copied from Android™" features only. Don't really care for much of these features myself, maybe with the exception of what cross app api's will bring. Notification actions seems kinda cool too, but not sure how much I'll use it.

Interesting that they put beta testing in there as a copied feature, iOS had beta testing since day one via Testflight, which they bought and are now integrating more tightly. We develop iOS apps at work, and I've had no problems beta testing our apps on my retail iOS.

The cloud stuff is 50/50. Google is king with the cloud (we use Google Apps). It's slick, and works really well. Apple's iCloud doesn't have as much functionality (ie full on drive access), but for what it offered, backups, iTunes Match, it was seamless. It makes swapping/upgrading devices very hassle free.

Anyways, the big items that I'm looking forward to in iOS8, not on this list are:

- Ability to send/receive text messages from iPad via iPhone. I hated chatting with Android folks, because at nights, I'm mainly on my iPad. I'll ignore text messages until morning when I grab my phone lol.

- Group chat management. Add/remove people from group chats. Silence group chats. Remove yourself from group chats.

- See every attachment from a conversation. Jesus Christ I don't have to click load more messages a bajillion times lol.

- Mini Lightroom wannabe photo editing. There's been a lack of really good photo editing apps out there, everyone seems to be lazy and love filters, hopefully this one doesn't turn out to be a dud.

And the biggest feature of all...

- Family Sharing! Yup, my family members will have access to all the movies I've purchased. Apps I've bought will be shared, so my brother doesn't have to pay $30 or something stupid for Slingplayer lol.

What's still missing:

Group chat for text messages. You know, I miss some of my Android friends, I've neglected them because they're not part of group chats. I hear so many stories of people changing from iPhones to Android, and just kills their social lives. Technological compatibility is pretty important for friendships, which is really fucking bizarre. Text message based group chats would be nice. I don't think there's a standard for this with SMS, or the ability for Apple and Android to work together, so I'm just dreaming here...

I know I know, there's WhatsApp, there's BBM, but Apple doesn't integrate nicely. I want one single platform where I can just chat seamlessly.

ZMan2k2
06-04-2014, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by ZEDGE

Don't think so. AFAIK Google and Apple settled all their differences.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/apple-google-to-settle-smartphone-patent-lawsuit-1.2645940

Didn't know that. Funny how as soon as the two "bury the hatchet", Apple jumps all over Android and copies so many things. That mini article says that the two are working together to reform patent laws, and if ever the two join, God help us all. :eek:

ZEDGE
06-04-2014, 09:18 AM
It seems rather convenient thats for sure. :D

rage2
06-04-2014, 09:24 AM
Didn't know that. Funny how as soon as the two "bury the hatchet", Apple jumps all over Android and copies so many things.
To be fair, everyone copied Palm and PocketPC haha. I've been using that shit way before the current smartphone revolution. My iPaq did a lot of stuff that smartphones does today.

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/1B6F3703-567A-4758-99FD-E1BB31285750_zpsmkjhel94.jpg

edit - hilarious, my boss's upgraded iPaq that was better than mine. Fingerprint scanner, in 2003! :rofl:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=14153

n1zm0
06-04-2014, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by rage2
I know I know, there's WhatsApp, there's BBM, but Apple doesn't integrate nicely. I want one single platform where I can just chat seamlessly.

Viber group chat works awesome for us poor folk :/

Dumbass17
06-04-2014, 09:53 AM
Sigh

I can't stand Apple. Fuck them and their charging cords, and restrictions and all that.

I have a blackberry for my work phone and people are switching to an iphone 5. I am holding onto my ancient beloved blackberry because I despise the iphone. blah blah blah.

I love when Apple fanatics grab an android for the first time and complain that it's too complicated. Then their iphone breaks and they purchase an Android as persuaded by their friends. Then they realize, oh my god, apple is a piece of shit haha

rage2
06-04-2014, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
Sigh

I can't stand Apple. Fuck them and their charging cords, and restrictions and all that.

I have a blackberry for my work phone and people are switching to an iphone 5. I am holding onto my ancient beloved blackberry because I despise the iphone. blah blah blah.

I love when Apple fanatics grab an android for the first time and complain that it's too complicated. Then their iphone breaks and they purchase an Android as persuaded by their friends. Then they realize, oh my god, apple is a piece of shit haha
Tell us how you really feel. :rofl:

eblend
06-04-2014, 09:58 AM

Maybe with the new program integration things may improve. I used to use SMS all the time, but now pretty much Google Hangouts exclusively since all my friends have moved over to Android, and those who haven't, well I don't talk to them that often :) Never tried it but there is google hangouts for iPhone as well, but with their previous silo approach to apps I can see how they wouldn't really work well.

Little off topic, but with my wife I use an app called LINE, it's hugely popular in Asia, and it's all kind of crazy haha, and available for all mobile OSs, it's kind of fun with what they call "stickers"

http://cdn.techinasia.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/line-goodbye-stickers.jpg

LINE advertisement train in Taiwan haha
http://cdn.techinasia.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/line-train.jpg

SkiBum5.0
06-04-2014, 10:19 AM

- Group chat management. Add/remove people from group chats. Silence group chats. Remove yourself from group chats.

-

Finally this!

sabad66
06-04-2014, 10:22 AM
People make fun of the lightning cable all the time, but I actually really like it. It's just nice not to have to think about which way you put it in, especially when it's dark. They are really good at these little details that actually make a big difference.

Overall Apple is more of a "get really good at a small number of features" instead of google with the "pump out as many features even if they are kinda buggy". That's my take on it anyways.

rage2
06-04-2014, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by eblend
Maybe with the new program integration things may improve. I used to use SMS all the time, but now pretty much Google Hangouts exclusively since all my friends have moved over to Android, and those who haven't, well I don't talk to them that often :) Never tried it but there is google hangouts for iPhone as well, but with their previous silo approach to apps I can see how they wouldn't really work well.
My problem with Google Hangouts is that it forces me to move to create a Google+ profile. Since we use Google Apps for business, my real name shows up when I do this, and I become searchable. I don't want to maintain yet another social media profile. I just use Google chat from my gmail web interface which works well, but doesn't on mobile.

I doubt the cross party integration will fix anything, might be a small improvement in some areas, but you will never be able to beat Apple's tight integration of the built in messaging app with the OS.

One of the big things that won't be solved is performance of chat platforms. You can hate Apple all you want, but iMessage is one of the most stable chat platforms available, even surpassing text messaging way back during the peak when providers fuck up and delay/delete messages. I'd say Facebook and Google Hangouts comes a close second.

ZEDGE
06-04-2014, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by sabad66
People make fun of the lightning cable all the time, but I actually really like it. It's just nice not to have to think about which way you put it in, especially when it's dark. They are really good at these little details that actually make a big difference.

Overall Apple is more of a "get really good at a small number of features" instead of google with the "pump out as many features even if they are kinda buggy". That's my take on it anyways.

I think you are confusing Android with Samsung and touchwiz.

benyl
06-04-2014, 10:47 AM
the iOS google hangouts app sucks. Shows unread messages when there aren't any. I only keep it around so I can make free phone calls in the US through google voice after google killed the 3rd party API. (Used Talkatone before that)

The google voice app still calls from your cell number and not VOIP. I wish they would bring SMS for GVoice in Hangouts so I don't have to have 2 apps.

nzwasp
06-04-2014, 12:54 PM
So what do you think the minimum hardware level for ios8 is going to be?

eglove
06-04-2014, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by eblend
LINE advertisement train in Taiwan haha
http://cdn.techinasia.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/line-train.jpg

I LOVE LINE.

BROWN AND CONY FOREVER!

benyl
06-04-2014, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by nzwasp

iPhone 5.

rage2
06-04-2014, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by nzwasp
It's already been announced. iPhone 4S, Ipod 5th Gen, iPad 2 are the minimums.

benyl
06-04-2014, 01:11 PM
Haha, the iPad 2 just won't die.

Mitsu3000gt
06-04-2014, 01:16 PM
My 4S can BARELY perform the simplest of tasks, especially after iOS7. iOS8 will probably kill it for good. It's got so bad I can't even really use it for work anymore. Lag is in the multiple second range for many things, and that's if the phone doesn't crash while opening the app. Our upgrades aren't until 2015 :cry:

Xtrema
06-04-2014, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by benyl

It would have if they didn't shoved the iPad 2 gut into the original iPad Mini which is only 2 years old.

I'm sure they (2 and original mini) will be disowned next year.

supe
06-04-2014, 02:20 PM
One thing that stands out to me is Apple is losing a lot of its hype. I guess that is what happens when you cater to a shrinking market share.

However at a broader view it seems to me that innovation as a whole in the smartphone market is drying up a bit.

Xtrema
06-04-2014, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by supe
One thing that stands out to me is Apple is losing a lot of its hype. I guess that is what happens when you cater to a shrinking market share.

However at a broader view it seems to me that innovation as a whole in the smartphone market is drying up a bit.

Cook as CEO doesn't have the vision as Jobs to see what's next. As Google keep trying new things, Apple seems to just stagnate in innovation.

rage2
06-04-2014, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by benyl
That's because they kept selling them. It was finally discontinued last month.

atgilchrist
06-04-2014, 08:32 PM
The smartphone market is pretty mature now, much like laptops. Until something dramatic comes along, it will be incremental feature increases and much dick swinging in both camps. I really don't get the die-hard hating of the fanboys (of which there are several in this thread). Use what works for you, doesn't make anyone else's choice inferior.