PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on C63 values over the next couple of years?

mrsingh
06-04-2014, 12:07 PM
So I am very tempted to get into new daily with real power, it has been a long time since I have owned a sporty car. I'd love a Beyond civic and am struggling between a 2012 or 2013 C63 P31, or to cough up a bit more and get into a higher mileage early Porsche 997 Turbo.

I know myself well, and I do not keep cars more than a year or two, which makes me shy away from taking the depreciation hit of purchasing a brand new car. The car will be driven all year, but I do have a 4Runner that I'll keep and can be driven when it is really cold and icy out or if the snow is too deep.

Plus points on the Porsche include a manual transmission (which I love) and all wheel drive. I like the idea of the C63 because of the sound of the V8, and the fact that my son rides in a car with me almost everyday so a real backseat is a huge plus point.

I am wondering where people think the C63 is sitting on the depreciation curve right now? When I look at '12 and '13 models they seem to be around the high $50k-to low $60K range. Knowing that an all new C-class is coming out soon, do Beyonder's see this car being worth only $30k in a year or two when I eventually decide to sell it, or still up above $40k for a well optioned model with P31?

Thanks!

rage2
06-04-2014, 12:27 PM
It's going to nosedive as soon as the new C63 comes out, regardless if it's a better or worse car than the predecessor. It's simple car economics, people like and buy new cars.

Don't trust C63 owners, they'll say it's the last of the big NA V8s and you'll never get one again so it'll hold value, but at the end of the day the C63 is a mass produced car, it's not a limited 911 GT3 RS 4.0 that'll hold value because it's the last MT GT3. You'll always be able to get another one in the used market.

Sincerely,
A realistic C63 owner.

Sugarphreak
06-04-2014, 12:30 PM

shakalaka
06-04-2014, 12:34 PM
When you say nosedive? What are you thinking? Like 2011's going for 20K in 4 years?

rage2
06-04-2014, 12:35 PM
Yea, but he has kids, and as much as I loved my 996TT in the winter, I can't stand taking the car out with the family.

I'm putting on over twice the miles every year in the C63 compared to the CLK63 just because of the practicality.

ercchry
06-04-2014, 12:37 PM
dibs on rage's black series next year for $40k!

Weapon_R
06-04-2014, 12:41 PM
Early c63s can be found in the 30s right now, so it's entirely possible that the '12s will take a nosedive once a new model comes out.

BavarianBeast
06-04-2014, 12:42 PM
C63 prices have already taken a nosedive.

MBz have never held value. They never will.

It looks like the earlier versions have already lost close to 60% MSRP, I can only see that getting a lot lower. Look at the prices of the C55/SL55/etc, you can get these cars dirt cheap now.

mrsingh
06-04-2014, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by rage2
It's going to nosedive as soon as the new C63 comes out, regardless if it's a better or worse car than the predecessor.

Originally posted by BavarianBeast

That is what I am most concerned about, in that case am I just better of buying an early 2008 or 2009 C63 in the 30's so the depreciation drop is potentially less ($10k vs $20k)? Is there that much of a difference in the driving experience of the two, I know 2012 is the year of the refresh? I have driven a 2010 model before and absolutely loved it, but it was an early build and did not have the performance package option (not available at the time if I remember correctly).

BavarianBeast
06-04-2014, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by mrsingh

That is what I am most concerned about, in that case am I just better of buying an early 2008 or 2009 C63 in the 30's so the depreciation drop is potentially less ($10k vs $20k)? Is there that much of a difference in the driving experience of the two, I know 2012 is the year of the refresh? I have driven a 2010 model before and absolutely loved it, but it was an early build and did not have the performance package option (not available at the time if I remember correctly).

I think that's the best bet if you want to get a C63 this year.

I went out with two friends who both had C63's last week. Both C63s were stock, however one was a 2012 with P31 package and one was 2009 with NO P31 package. After running all the cars, the 2009 with NO p31 was only half a car length behind the 2012 that had the package. I don't think it makes a big difference.

rage2
06-04-2014, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
Good thing I got the limited edition box checked haha. With the rarity of the car, they're averaging 10% depreciation over 2 years right now.

Honestly, I love this car, probably won't get rid of it until someone packages this much fun with backseats for kids.

It looks like the earlier versions have already lost close to 60% MSRP, I can only see that getting a lot lower. Look at the prices of the C55/SL55/etc, you can get these cars dirt cheap now.
C63 depreciation from what I've seen is pretty much bang on to average depreciation charts. MB has a bad rep for huge depreciation, but you're talking about their uber expensive cars that rich ppl throw away like the SL's, S, CL, etc.

Just get a chip, you'll unlock all the power that the performance pack gets you. The SLS internals are useless. 2010's with P30 package has LSD, and Dec and later build 2010's had P31.

CanmoreOrLess
06-04-2014, 12:59 PM

Honestly, I love this car, probably won't get rid of it until someone packages this much fun with backseats for kids.

Rage getting old when this qualifies as fun in the backseat. LOL

flipstah
06-04-2014, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH.

The C63 would be more practical for you and the family without compromising the fun factor.

If you can wait, I'd see how the new model will affect the used market.

There's only a select few of cars that actually appreciate as time goes by and like what rage2 mentioned, it's mostly limited edition cars that either take a little hit or go up.

You can get an 09 with <100k km's for $40k so if you wait one more year, it could become low-mid 30s with subsequent years going for $10k +/-

benyl
06-04-2014, 01:06 PM
I can't wait for the 507 owners on the forums to start bitching about how their cars are depreciating.

I think it will be round about September when the W205 is released and we get to see the new C63.

I would wait to buy in September if I was buying used.

rage2
06-04-2014, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
Rage getting old when this qualifies as fun in the backseat. LOL
I should've worded it better haha. The backseat just adds practicality.

BavarianBeast
06-04-2014, 01:26 PM
Hey rage2,

If you drive your C63 in place of your CLK63 for practicality, what is holding you back from boosting the CLK?

http://weistec.com/m156scs3.html

:devil:

mrsingh
06-04-2014, 01:31 PM
Hey rage2,

If you drive your C63 in place of your CLK63 for practicality, what is holding you back from boosting the CLK?

http://weistec.com/m156scs3.html

:devil:

I am pretty sure he sold the CLK63BS a while back?

mrsingh
06-04-2014, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
You can get an 09 with &lt;100k km's for $40k so if you wait one more year, it could become low-mid 30s with subsequent years going for $10k +/-

I got offered a 2010 with 50,000 kms on it early last year for $42k, it was my old manager's car and he wanted an SUV. I am still kicking myself for not jumping on it.

flipstah
06-04-2014, 01:35 PM

I got offered a 2010 with 50,000 kms on it early last year for $42k, it was my old manager's car and he wanted an SUV. I am still kicking myself for not jumping on it.

Aiya... :(

rage2
06-04-2014, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by benyl
I can't wait for the 507 owners on the forums to start bitching about how their cars are depreciating.
haha ya, 507 owners are a funny bunch. I just gave up arguing about it. From mbworld 507 owner:

I have to disagree with you on this. This is the only version that has ever broken the 481hp mark other than the black series. More than that, it's the last year of a generation that has undoubtedly changed the game. Any rational minded person would consider the 507 far more coveted than any of the aforementioned editions.

rage2 is right. It's however many are ordered. However, being a single year production on the last year of the generation, I expect them to be relatively low on the numbers produced - especially since most want that little 5.5 liter for 2015.
That was in reply to my comment about the 507 being really no different than a C63 with perf package with a fancy BS hood and isn't even a limited edition run. What's even funnier is that they extended 507 sales for another year for the coupes. :rofl:

I am pretty sure he sold the CLK63BS a while back?
Long gone and dearly missed. Although with my recent suspension tweaks, I'm enjoying the C63 more and missing the CLK63 less.

max_boost
06-04-2014, 01:55 PM
Buy a 911 Turbo. Paid $88k for mine 2 years ago and turned down an offer for $78k and decided to keep it instead.

shakalaka
06-04-2014, 01:58 PM
If going 2010 or earlier make sure you are aware of the headbolt issues. They were fixed on 2011 plus. Funny enough, I was contemplating flipping mine a few days ago and was researching online. 2011's are going for around 50-60K range roughly right now on Kijiji depending on the km's and condition. I decided against getting rid of mine right now and wait for a few years. I don't think it will go under 20K in 3 years, even with the new one coming out. If I can sell mine for 20K after 3 years I will be happy.

benyl
06-04-2014, 02:24 PM
The headbolt issue is blown completely out of proportion. It is not an issue.

Neil4Speed
06-04-2014, 04:00 PM
If you guys think C63's took a nosedive, you should see the IS-F's

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...gationFlag=true

Mid 20's?!

No doubt that for most the C63 is the more desirable vehicle, but I was surprised to see that in the used market.

To answer the OP's question, I think you will see a decrease in the used market after the new model goes through, but these are still highly desirable cars. If you wanted to keep it for 5-6 years (which you don't), I would say you its a good time to get in.

ZedMan
06-04-2014, 04:42 PM
I think there must be something wrong with that one, an '08 IS-F down here are still in the low-mid 30s US$. The 11+ IS-Fs got the upgraded suspension and LSD so that hurt the older ones.

Redlined_8000
06-04-2014, 05:22 PM
I saw a 2011 IS-F with 30k kms at a dealer the other day for $60k. That is alot lol.

Ya I agree with Rage about the 507 depreciation thing. I think all those owners are delusional talking about the 507 being a classic one day and stuff lol. You will have alot of depreciation with this car but o well....

If you do get a C63 I would go for 2011+ with P31. The head bolt issue is very rare, but its there. Just go for the p31 and you will get upgraded internals and a LSD. Check the engine number of your c63 and if it is above 060658 you have good head bolts.

mrsingh
06-04-2014, 05:43 PM
Thank you all for the great feedback.

Originally posted by Redlined_8000
If you do get a C63 I would go for 2011+ with P31. The head bolt issue is very rare, but its there. Just go for the p31 and you will get upgraded internals and a LSD.

The 2011 falls into the same depreciation issue, they are low $50's and don't have the refresh or the MCT transmission. If I planned to keep the car 5-6 years I'd just get a 2012 or 2013 and call it a day. The concern I have is knowing how short a duration I'll own the car, and the fact that I've been transferred back downtown, this car will only be driven 10-15,000 kms. I don't want to eat mass amounts of depreciation on it.

I bought a new RX350 last year, but I know we will likely keep it 6-7 years as it is the primary family hauler. I'm getting the use there, so depreciation doesn't concern me as much.

rage2
06-04-2014, 05:56 PM
The upgraded internals are useless. You get more power gains from car to car variance than SLS internals. It revs a little quicker in neutral. Oooooohhhhh haha.

To have the best balance between depreciation and features, the 2010 with P30 (sport suspension + LSD) is what I'd get. The 2010s have the updated COMAND so you get iPod on the screen instead of the lame dash one. You get all the necessities, and it's priced better because there are no upgraded internals and less power. Throw on a chip and away you go. The facelift cars are still on the steep end of the depreciation curve.

mrsingh
06-05-2014, 02:38 PM
Thanks for all the honest feedback everyone, it was much appreciated. I am not in a mad rush, will start doing some more research on this now, and keep my eyes peeled for the right one to come along!

94boosted
06-05-2014, 05:52 PM

Although with my recent suspension tweaks, I'm enjoying the C63 more and missing the CLK63 less.

Do tell...........

rage2
06-05-2014, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted
Do tell...........
I just reset the alignment to be more aggressive than factory but still within spec. Turn in is twice as sharp, the rear end is much more sensitive to throttle inputs. It just feels much closer to the CLK. Only downside is that the car is pretty twitchy in the rain, and likes to follow road imperfections. Pretty much just like the CLK haha.

94boosted
06-06-2014, 08:31 AM
^ What sort of camber & toe?

rage2
06-06-2014, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by 94boosted
^ What sort of camber &amp; toe?
Slightly more toe out up front, max negative camber front (as per spec), and max toe out rear as per spec.

clem24
06-11-2014, 09:58 AM

Slightly more toe out up front, max negative camber front (as per spec), and max toe out rear as per spec.

WTF I thought the rears toe'ed in?!?

To the OP if you only plan on keeping it a year, I'd buy the absolute cheapest/best condition car you can find. I.e. buying a used 08 or 09 in the mid to high 30s is easily your best bet and the best way to avoid losing money. LSDs are awesome but unless you track the car you won't miss it.

I've been on the fence with holding onto mine as this is kind of make/break time. Like Shakalaka says, the 2011s with P31 still fetch in the 50s (but then again, keep in mind the OTD price of a P31 with 19" was close to $90k).

I am going guess that these cars will stop depreciating in the mid-20s mark, kinda like how the E39 M5s are holding their value there (i.e. an good 2000 M5 3 years ago was $20k and still is today).

But the thing is I love the car so much that I just don't know what I'd replace it with, and in the end, it'll probably cost me the same or more to sell it and replace it. I have a friend who goes through cars like crazy but settled on the '11 C63 P31 and absolutely adores it and has no plans to sell it.

benyl
06-11-2014, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by clem24

But the thing is I love the car so much that I just don't know what I'd replace it with, and in the end, it'll probably cost me the same or more to sell it and replace it. I have a friend who goes through cars like crazy but settled on the '11 C63 P31 and absolutely adores it and has no plans to sell it.

You need to try some E63S goodness.

clem24
06-11-2014, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by benyl

You need to try some E63S goodness.

You offering? ;)

rage2
06-11-2014, 10:56 AM
WTF I thought the rears toe'ed in?!?
It does. I just went with the minimum toe in as per spec, hence toeing it out as far as I can. It's still toe in, but a lot less than what the car was delivered with.

Sorath
06-11-2014, 09:40 PM
bought my car brand new through dealer as a demo. since they registered the vin with MB Canada, they threw in the Certified preowned warranty as well.

after 5 months of owning it, I managed to sell mine at a $3000 loss. Not bad imo for buying the car brand new from dealer.(even though I bought it as a sick deal because of all the rebates)

love the sound of the car. had the p31 package. regardless if you are heavy on the foot or not, the best I could manage per tank was 350km. when I drove it like I stole it. it was closer to 280km. its argueable that gas mileage is not a concern when you buy a car like this, however it was getting twice as worse gas mileage as my Full bolt on R35.

I see the new owner of the car is selling it as a loss of $13,000 from what he paid from me a year and half ago. With the new model coming up, I can see the price pummel even more. if you are set on getting it, I would wait till the new model is out so you can pick one up at a better deal

benyl
06-11-2014, 10:05 PM

You offering? ;)

Sure, why not?

Aleks
06-12-2014, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by Sorath
bought my car brand new through dealer as a demo. since they registered the vin with MB Canada, they threw in the Certified preowned warranty as well.

after 5 months of owning it, I managed to sell mine at a $3000 loss. Not bad imo for buying the car brand new from dealer.(even though I bought it as a sick deal because of all the rebates)

love the sound of the car. had the p31 package. regardless if you are heavy on the foot or not, the best I could manage per tank was 350km. when I drove it like I stole it. it was closer to 280km. its argueable that gas mileage is not a concern when you buy a car like this, however it was getting twice as worse gas mileage as my Full bolt on R35.

I see the new owner of the car is selling it as a loss of $13,000 from what he paid from me a year and half ago. With the new model coming up, I can see the price pummel even more. if you are set on getting it, I would wait till the new model is out so you can pick one up at a better deal

Isn't the engine in the C63 twice as more bigger as it is in the R35 :D

mrsingh
06-12-2014, 08:20 AM
To the OP if you only plan on keeping it a year, I'd buy the absolute cheapest/best condition car you can find. I.e. buying a used 08 or 09 in the mid to high 30s is easily your best bet and the best way to avoid losing money. LSDs are awesome but unless you track the car you won't miss it.

Originally posted by Sorath
...regardless if you are heavy on the foot or not, the best I could manage per tank was 350km. when I drove it like I stole it. it was closer to 280km...

...With the new model coming up, I can see the price pummel even more. if you are set on getting it, I would wait till the new model is out so you can pick one up at a better deal

Leaning towards a 2010 for now but not rushing, if I find a good deal on an earlier model year with decent mileage I'll definitely consider it. Buying cars like this is always a bit of an emotional decision, I'd love to have it for summer but am not in a rush so I could wait until the new one comes out. As for gas mileage, I only drive about 200kms a week now, so not much of a concern.

Sorath
06-12-2014, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Aleks

Isn't the engine in the C63 twice as more bigger as it is in the R35 :D

2 turbos make up in displacement :P

clem24
06-12-2014, 01:30 PM
Haha gas mileage... If you're buying a C63, you don't give 2 shits about gas mileage. Lately I've been putting in M mode and holding gears longer so that definitely makes it worse. Before I could usually eek out at least 400kms but now it's closer to 300 or less hahaha. Then again, it's no worse than driving a full size truck in the city and this is way more rewarding.

What's crazy is that the low fuel light comes at 1/4 tank LOL. I've *NEVER* had a car do this because literally in this car, you might get another 60km if you're light on the gas pedal hahaha.

A2VR6
06-12-2014, 05:52 PM

What's crazy is that the low fuel light comes at 1/4 tank LOL. I've *NEVER* had a car do this because literally in this car, you might get another 60km if you're light on the gas pedal hahaha.

The E9X M3 does this too... except 1/4 is usually good for about ~125kms or so... annoying as hell.