PDA

View Full Version : Downtown workers: How long is your rush hour commute?

rage2
06-05-2014, 09:26 AM
So in the spirit of trying to stop derailing threads, I figured I'd start a new thread about traffic and commutes. Calgary was ranked 5th most congested in Canada this year, behind Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-traffic-ranked-5th-most-congested-in-canada-1.2663500

Since a large number of people here are downtown workers which seems to have the most visible commute complaints, let's take a look to see how your daily rush hour commute looks from your home to the office, door to door.

All modes of transportation are welcome. Bus, Bike, Car, anything, as long as it's door to door, and during rush hour (6-9am morning, 4-7pm evenings). We have a good user base here that lives in all areas of the city, so it'll help others determine what communities are downtown worker friendly, and what modes of transport works best.

No need to post detailed logs, but if you have 'em, post 'em. I'm pretty fascinated with traffic patterns, shortcuts, and such, so I know if I'm beating the average or losing each trek.

So from yesterday's thread, I made it home in 19 mins, door to door, and that's hitting about 1/2 of red lights along the route. That's from 8th street/6th Ave SW, to Arbour Lake. My typical commute home runs 20mins +/- 3 mins.

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/AB7174E6-94C8-4E58-B92D-64D0F978AF17_zpsvlkynqvk.jpg

Today's commute to work, I made it in 18mins, door to door. To be fair, I left from the other side of Arbour Lake (where I store my cars) to the office, so it's slightly quicker thanks to a different exit, by maybe a minute. I hit *every* red light on this trip, so that cancel's out the advantage. Generally, it's quicker to go to work than to get home for me, as the lights leaving Arbour Lake isn't exactly timed very nicely, and going to work favors right turns, while coming home favors left turns. I've calculated my average to be 18mins +/- 3 mins.

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/963352DB-07CB-4938-A46A-CB6818894B89_zpsibxeejvu.jpg

cet
06-05-2014, 09:39 AM
I live in Aspen and had a couple of different times depending on where I would park.

Usually I would park in Sunnyside on the street and finish my commute by walking. In that case I'd go Bow Trail to Crowchild then jog over to Memorial and continue on until I got to Sunnyside. I would leave the house at 6ish. The drive was about 15 minutes and the walk between 10 and 15. On the way home I would leave the office at about 4. Same walk time and the drive would take 20-25 minutes. So, overall commute time was 25-30 minutes in the morning and 30-40 minutes in the afternoon.

If I was parking downtown the drive was usually 15 mins in the morning and 20 in the afternoon.

Mitsu3000gt
06-05-2014, 09:52 AM
From West Beltline, 20ish mins walking to 8th ave station & riding the train 3 stops (when there aren't train delays). Walking all the way in is about 25-30 mins.

From Woodbine, 1h minimum using the bus to Anderson and taking the Train in. That is on a flawless day, very often it was more like 1.5h (there was a point where I had an Excel spreadsheet tracking my commute times and frequencies of transit delays exceeding 20 minutes, which were extremely numerous.)

From Braeside, driving (14th st, Glenmore, Crowchild, 9th ave) 25min this morning to my place in West Beltline. All the way into the core it's 30-35min.

IMO anything under 30 mins an acceptable commute door to door. I hope to stay in that range when I move out of DT.

4WARNED
06-05-2014, 09:56 AM
Evergreen - 20 mins in the morning right to Eau Claire downtown leaving @ 6am.
Heading home takes 40 mins. Leaving right @ 4:05. Probably 10 of those minutes just getting out of the core - the rest due to congestion.
Straight up macleod there and back commuting by car.

ercchry
06-05-2014, 09:56 AM
i do a reverse downtown commute... can make it from inglewood to 130th and deerfoot in under 15min every day... well, unless someone shuts down a lane on deerfoot any time of morning or afternoon (times range from 7-10am and 4-6pm)

some times i go downtown too... never in the afternoons though. can get to banker's hall in under 10min at 9ish am

DeleriousZ
06-05-2014, 10:01 AM
Applewood to hotel arts is 17-20min monday/friday and 20-25min tue-thurs.

going home is usually ~30 min or so.

civic_stylez
06-05-2014, 10:05 AM
I live in Auburn Bay. I drive my car from my house (8am) to my girlfriends parents house which is up the street from Fish Creek station. I take the train to 4st W and walk a block to work. All said and done Im about 45min door to door the morning. Afternoon can be more of a nightmare depending on how the trains are running. (530PM) Im usually anywhere from 45 min to 1 hr going home.

riander5
06-05-2014, 10:06 AM
15 minute walk everyday.... Dont know if i could handle losing that extra hour every day to get that white picket fence and big backyard!

benyl
06-05-2014, 10:07 AM
I think the point of this thread is to show real commute times and not guesses.

I commute from Aspen on my bike.

This morning 33:52 seconds door to door:

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd364/bwinkelm/thismorning_zps0308ca74.jpg (http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/bwinkelm/media/thismorning_zps0308ca74.jpg.html)

Yesterday toward home(timed all lights perfectly) 45:57:

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd364/bwinkelm/homeyesterday_zps8a190250.jpg (http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/bwinkelm/media/homeyesterday_zps8a190250.jpg.html)

Last October (going home) when I was more fit (after riding all summer) Record moving time 39 mins elapsed 41 mins:

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd364/bwinkelm/record_zps63ccf50c.jpg (http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/bwinkelm/media/record_zps63ccf50c.jpg.html)

lilmira
06-05-2014, 10:09 AM
From Royal Oak to just south of the Stampede ground.

In the morning leaving home at 7, it takes me about 35min.

Stoney - Crow - Kensington - 14st - beltline (mostly 17ave) - 4st/misson

After work, it can be 40min to 1hr, highly variable for no reason.

mission/4st - 10/11ave - 14st - 24ave - crow - stoney

BavarianBeast
06-05-2014, 10:09 AM
I do a reverse commute too.

I leave from Mission to work on 32nd avenue & deerfoot trail.

In the morning (645ish) it takes me 12 minutes to get from home to the office.

In the evening (4:30-5:00pm) it takes me between 30-40 minutes depending how the stretch is on memorial drive and flyover into downtown is. I've recently started going downto 17th ave/blackfoot to avoid downtown but it still seems to take just as long..

KRyn
06-05-2014, 10:10 AM
Kelvin Grove to Western Canadian Place via walking and the bus
I leave my house at 6:30 am and I am sitting at my desk at 7:00-7:05 am with coffee in hand.

Western Canadian Place to Kelvin Grove via walking and the bus
I try to leave work at 3:55 pm and I am usually home at 4:30 - 4:45 pm.

tha_bandit
06-05-2014, 10:10 AM
rage, what times are you leaving home/work? also, set up a poll, 5 min increments after 10 mins, last one being 50+mins :dunno:

and I assume this is only for the downtown workers

G
06-05-2014, 10:14 AM
Assuming you did fill up since last night and you're baller enought to get a full tank at a time how the hell did you use almost the half tank of gas since filling up to get to work?

speedog
06-05-2014, 10:15 AM
Something that's missing in most of the posts above is the time of day that people are commuting as that often has a huge effect on commute times - leaving at 3:30 versus 4:00 versus 4:30 can really make a difference or at least it does on Deerfoot.

finboy
06-05-2014, 10:18 AM
Sunalta:
Walk:20-30 min depending where I need to get in the core
Ctrain: 10 min

benyl
06-05-2014, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by G
Assuming you did fill up since last night and you're baller enought to get a full tank at a time how the hell did you use almost the half tank of gas since filling up to get to work?

Top pic is BS

Bottom pic is CLS500

CapnCrunch
06-05-2014, 10:31 AM
Driving from Rocky Ridge to downtown near the Saddledome - Stoney - 16th - Memorial - both ways, 12 ave in the morning, center street bridge going home in the afternoon

6-6:30 am is about 30 minutes coming in
4:00pm is about 35 minutes going home

mo_money2supe
06-05-2014, 10:41 AM
My commute's from Quarry Park into Kensington (not quite downtown but close enough) and the reverse thereafter. My usual route is Glenmore, Deerfoot, & Memorial.

By Car (door-to-door)
Morning commute (8-9am): 13-18 mins
Afternoon commute (5-6pm): 15-20 mins

By Bike (bicycle) (door-to-door)
Both commutes: 40-45 mins

Brent.ff
06-05-2014, 10:50 AM
from deer run, driving and parking at Canyon meadows (road or parking lot if free parking is available).

Typically leave ~6:50, at work by 7:30 (off at 7th ave station). Pretty equivalent going home (leaving work around 4), maybe a bit longer as train takes longer to fill up.

Xtrema
06-05-2014, 10:50 AM
Hamptons to Mission

Leave at 7:45, arrives at 8:10 to 8:20. Add 30mins if someone screwed up on Crowchild or Shag.

zipdoa
06-05-2014, 10:51 AM
I'm doing Bowness (Bowness road @ Home Road) to Bankers Hall every morning.

Option #1:

Leaving 715AM, I'll arrive at 745AM using Bowness Road > 14ST > 9AVE

Commute time 30 Minutes door to door.

Option #2:

Leaving 715AM, I'll arrive at 735AM Using Bowness Road > 16AVE > University Drive > Crowchild Trail > Bow Trail City Center.

Commute time 20 Minutes door to door.

Option #1 is boring but consistent

Option #2 gives me an opportunity to pull some serious lateral G's - Bowness to 16AVE E has an amazing on ramp, and then 16AVE E to University Drive/Crowchild South gives me another amazing off ramp. Finally, Bow Trail City Center exit on the Crowchild Trail bridge is another killer on-ramp.

I'm excited for a spirited drive every morning. Hopefully running 255/40/17 Michelin PSS's will get to 1.0 Lateral G's in the corners....

CompletelyNumb
06-05-2014, 10:52 AM
Driving from the core to Sundance is about 40min most says leaving after 4:30.

Tik-Tok
06-05-2014, 11:04 AM
My wife's commute is 10min. to work, and 20min. home. (Fairview to 10th ave)

you&me
06-05-2014, 11:10 AM
From Elbow Park to my office on 11th ave, my morning commute at 6:45 is 5-7 mins driving door to door (from garage to parkade, up the elevator and in my office), or perhaps a couple minutes longer if I car2go. I can (but don't usually) walk in 18-22 minutes.

Driving home takes 6-12 minutes, depending on what time I leave. Leaving around 4 is quicker, but if I don't leave until 5 or later, it doubles my commute time :banghead:

If I worked right in the core, I could probably add a couple minutes in the morning (because I'm early enough to beat the main rush), and up to an additional 15 minutes on the way home in the thick of rush hour... I really like the location of our office.

E90_330xi
06-05-2014, 11:13 AM
From Highland Park to Livingston Place for me

6 mins door to door in Car2Go leaving at 6:15, by bus takes about 12 mins on one of the express busses

Takes me about 10 mins back home in Car2Go leaving at 4:15, about 20mins by bus

jaeden
06-05-2014, 11:22 AM
OK I'll copy my post from the other thread that I was helping to derail...

My commute is Mahogany to Beltline, need to get there around 9am. Average time is about 40 mins. Drive home is at 9pm so traffic is no concern, about 30 mins.

Currently I am going:
Deerfoot > Glenmore > Blackfoot > Manhattan > 42nd > Macleod.

In worse weather I avoid DF and use Barlow > Shepard > Glenmore. This might actually be faster in good weather too, I'm not sure.

I was hoping that running north up Stoney to Glenmore would shave some time off, but I end up hitting the worst part of East Glenmore clusterfuck.

I have a colleague living in Riverbend that comes in on 25th. I'm not sure if she uses Highfield or what. I tried that a couple times but it seemed really slow. I should start timing and see what is actually fastest.

Lex350
06-05-2014, 11:28 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by benyl
[B]I think the point of this thread is to show real commute times and not guesses.

I commute from Aspen on my bike.

This morning 33:52 seconds door to door:

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd364/bwinkelm/thismorning_zps0308ca74.jpg (http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/bwinkelm/media/thismorning_zps0308ca74.jpg.html)

Nice top speed!

zaider
06-05-2014, 11:41 AM
From Mount Pleasant to Downtown (Shell Centre), aiming to be at work by 8am.

By Bus: 30 mins (average, includes waiting at stop)
By Motorcycle: 15 mins (includes 2 mins of wandering around for a parking spot)
By Car2Go: 13 mins
By Bicycle: 6 minutes there, 15 mins home

My bus route takes me down Centre St, which is incredibly variable in the amount of traffic it sees and I haven't been able to figure out a pattern.

Motorcycle and Car2Go route is to head down 10th through Kensington

Bicycle is to cut through Crescent Heights, take the dirt path down the hill by the Memorial Curling Club and then cut through the park and Eau Claire.

G
06-05-2014, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by benyl

Top pic is BS

Bottom pic is CLS500

Haha sorry didn't click to enlarge the pictures...while the rest of us get gas when running low ballers just get a different car.

rage2
06-05-2014, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by tha_bandit
rage, what times are you leaving home/work?
I leave home at 8:00am - 8:30am every morning.

Originally posted by G
Haha sorry didn't click to enlarge the pictures...while the rest of us get gas when running low ballers just get a different car.
What's pathetic is that's exactly what happened, didn't have time to get gas this morning, so I swapped cars. :rofl:

mrsingh
06-05-2014, 12:58 PM
Kincora to downtown near the Bow, leave home at 7am.

Bus (Most days): 5-10 minute drive to Sandstone, 25-30 minute bus ride to DT. Usually a 35 minute commute most days. Add 10 minutes for the trip home at 4:30.

Car: 20-25 minutes. Beddington to Deerfoot, to Memorial, then 4 St into downtown and park in the James Short parkade.

Manhattan
06-05-2014, 01:00 PM
First world problems. (Try commuting by car in Beijing) :hijack:

rage2
06-05-2014, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by mrsingh
Car: 20-25 minutes. Beddington to Deerfoot, to Memorial, then 4 St into downtown and park in the James Short parkade.
Is there a secret way to get out onto Symonds Valley Road quickly? There are some mornings where I go to my parents' house in Kincora first, and I always get stacked up trying to turn onto SVR. 5 mins easy in the summer, and 15 mins in the winters.

mrsingh
06-05-2014, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Is there a secret way to get out onto Symonds Valley Road quickly? There are some mornings where I go to my parents' house in Kincora first, and I always get stacked up trying to turn onto SVR. 5 mins easy in the summer, and 15 mins in the winters.

Be a dick and shoot down the left lane on Kincora Blvd, wait for the light to turn green and turn right into the far lane. Bypass the line of cars waiting... Not that I have ever done that.

Marsh
06-05-2014, 02:44 PM
So in the spirit of trying to stop derailing threads, I figured I'd start a new thread about traffic and commutes. Calgary was ranked 5th most congested in Canada this year, behind Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-traffic-ranked-5th-most-congested-in-canada-1.2663500

Since a large number of people here are downtown workers which seems to have the most visible commute complaints, let's take a look to see how your daily rush hour commute looks from your home to the office, door to door.

All modes of transportation are welcome. Bus, Bike, Car, anything, as long as it's door to door, and during rush hour (6-9am morning, 4-7pm evenings). We have a good user base here that lives in all areas of the city, so it'll help others determine what communities are downtown worker friendly, and what modes of transport works best.

No need to post detailed logs, but if you have 'em, post 'em. I'm pretty fascinated with traffic patterns, shortcuts, and such, so I know if I'm beating the average or losing each trek.

So from yesterday's thread, I made it home in 19 mins, door to door, and that's hitting about 1/2 of red lights along the route. That's from 8th street/6th Ave SW, to Arbour Lake. My typical commute home runs 20mins +/- 3 mins.

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/AB7174E6-94C8-4E58-B92D-64D0F978AF17_zpsvlkynqvk.jpg

Today's commute to work, I made it in 18mins, door to door. To be fair, I left from the other side of Arbour Lake (where I store my cars) to the office, so it's slightly quicker thanks to a different exit, by maybe a minute. I hit *every* red light on this trip, so that cancel's out the advantage. Generally, it's quicker to go to work than to get home for me, as the lights leaving Arbour Lake isn't exactly timed very nicely, and going to work favors right turns, while coming home favors left turns. I've calculated my average to be 18mins +/- 3 mins.
]

What route do you take to work? Thats phenomenal time IMO...I'm also coming from close by (Hamptons) but it takes upwards of 35-40 minutes for me both ways

killramos
06-05-2014, 02:50 PM
Tuxedo park

8 Minutes to the office if I hit all the lights when I drive including getting out of garage etc.

rage2
06-05-2014, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Marsh
What route do you take to work? Thats phenomenal time IMO...I'm also coming from close by (Hamptons) but it takes upwards of 35-40 minutes for me both ways
Crowchild --> Memorial --> 10th St. Bridge --> 5th Ave --> 8th Street. There's some secret lane maneuvering to bypass the jam over by McMahon. In the winters, my route is quite a bit different, as Crowchild gets jammed up all the way to Brentwood.

My gf actually holds our commute record from home to work. She did it in 14 mins one morning during rush hour in the little B200 when we hit every single green and hit perfect traffic gaps. I haven't been able to match that, and it upsets me. I've been trying for 3 years! :rofl:

You're screwed for Hamptons, because you have to deal with the traffic to get onto Crowchild, which is what's killing your time. I find the communities North of John Laurie and East of Sarcee is pretty problematic. At least with Hawkwood, you can go backwards onto Nosehill to get onto Crowchild, which is a lot more free flowing than Sarcee, 53rd, or Shaganappi when crossing John Laurie.

I don't think there are any interchange plans in the area, but if they can do John Laurie @ Sarcee, John Laurie @ Shaganappi, and Shaganappi @ Dalhousie Dr, all those communities would easily shave 5-10 mins off their rush hour commutes. Of course the additional unbuffered traffic would probably fuck me over backing up Crowchild more haha.

benyl
06-05-2014, 02:59 PM

You're screwed for Hamptons, because you have to deal with the traffic to get onto Crowchild, which is what's killing your time.

From the Hamptons, I would hit the ring road and back track to Crowchild. Has to be faster than 53rd or Shag. I know some people would go to 14th street or even Center street from that area.

rage2
06-05-2014, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by benyl
From the Hamptons, I would hit the ring road and back track to Crowchild. Has to be faster than 53rd or Shag.
Not today, maybe after the C-Train station is opened and they get rid of that long 60km/h zone on Crowchild. It's really slow there.

Also, the turn off from Stoney SW bound --> Crowchild is a single lane turnoff, and for some reason people drive that right lane at really slow speeds in the mornings.

tha_bandit
06-05-2014, 03:20 PM
In the winters, my route is quite a bit different, as Crowchild gets jammed up all the way to Brentwood.

Care to share? I've had to detour onto shag>16th ave a couple times.

Pacman
06-05-2014, 04:43 PM
Strathcona to gulf Canada square parkade.

In the morning it's 15 min from door to door as it's all the way down Bow Trail/9th Ave.

Going home in the evening is 30 to 40 mins as I'm stuck in traffic on 10th Ave and it's slow until I hit Bow Trail where things open up.

flipstah
06-05-2014, 04:50 PM
If I drove from the NE to downtown, it would be 25 mins without construction taking into account.

I leave 5:30 and the rush hour is gone.

If I took the train and no abnormal disruption, it's 20 mins there and back. 5:30 is also the best time to take the train home.

schocker
06-05-2014, 06:15 PM
Rage2 saved me 5 minutes of travel time!!!!!!!
27mins in traffic with a bunch of morons from 5th ave 8 st to sage hill in prime rush hour and dropping some on off off 19th st :burnout:
Would have usually taken about 32 like it was today, hoping for 25 or less tomorrow.....

A790
06-05-2014, 07:33 PM
130th to Blackfoot/Ogden Rd averaging 17 minutes door to door. 130th to deerfoot to barlow to ogden.

Env-Consultant
06-05-2014, 07:36 PM
15 mins - 26 ave sw to 37 st to Bow Trail/9 ave to 4th st sw parking lot. Walk to a few different buildings - TD/Core most of the time. Similar rip home. Usally in my truck by 4.

Env-Consultant
06-05-2014, 07:55 PM
What's pathetic is that's exactly what happened, didn't have time to get gas this morning, so I swapped cars. :rofl:

Such a baller. What if the second car had been low on gas? Third? Or call the butler to fill? :rofl:

Cos
06-05-2014, 07:58 PM

cyra1ax
06-05-2014, 08:02 PM
SW Airdrie to Center and 6th Ave by bus at 6am: 1hr exactly. Involves leaving the house at 6am and being at my desk by 7.
Home time commute by bus at 4-4:30pm: 1hr to 1hr and 15mins. Depends on how many people hang around the stop at Center and 4th. If there's alot of people I'll backtrack and walk over to Bow Valley Square to grab the bus.

Morning commute by car: 35mins, I take Deerfoot down to either McKnight or 16th then hop onto Center.
Return commute at 4pm: Avg is 45-50mins going up Center street all the way to Airdrie. Fastest I've had was 40 mins, where I went 5th Ave, Memorial, Deerfoot. That first exit into Airdrie on the Deerfoot at 4:30 is absolutely insane, backs up for maybe 150m-200m.

J-D
06-05-2014, 08:23 PM
Driving for me is about 20-25 minutes from the SE to downtown in the morning, 30-35 minutes in the afternoon. Also about a 7-10 minute walk each way because I'm not a baller and can't afford closer parking :cry:

The_Penguin
06-05-2014, 08:54 PM
McKenzie Lake to Beltline, 20-25 mins at 6:00
30-40 minutes coming home at 3:00

The_Penguin
06-05-2014, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by jaeden

Currently I am going:
Deerfoot > Glenmore > Blackfoot > Manhattan > 42nd > Macleod.

Have you tried:
Deerfoot to Southland to Blackfoot to Manhattan, 42nd MacLeod. I find that better than Glenmore.

EmJay
06-05-2014, 09:21 PM
Getting to work using public transit from 130th ave to the Bow building takes me around 50 minutes in the morning. On the way back, door to door, takes me around an hour by walking from the Bow, to the Calgary Tower, waiting for the bus and then walking home. Sometimes getting home is rough if the bus get's backed up somewhere downtown, or if there is a train on 11 st se in the Ramsay area.

rage2
06-05-2014, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by tha_bandit
Care to share? I've had to detour onto shag>16th ave a couple times.
The trick is to actually stay on crowchild, and bypass jammed areas through side roads and clever use of turnoffs to get on the best moving lane. Some days there's other shortcuts, depends on the day and what google reports. My typical winter commute averages only 25 mins haha.

Originally posted by schocker
Rage2 saved me 5 minutes of travel time!!!!!!!
27mins in traffic with a bunch of morons from 5th ave 8 st to sage hill in prime rush hour and dropping some on off off 19th st :burnout:
Would have usually taken about 32 like it was today, hoping for 25 or less tomorrow.....
How'd i do that? What suggestion did you use?

Originally posted by Env-Consultant
Such a baller. What if the second car had been low on gas? Third? Or call the butler to fill? :rofl:
If all 3 cars are low on gas, I'd make time to fill up haha. Today was just an exception, I had to get in the office for a meeting.

schocker
06-06-2014, 08:44 AM
How'd i do that? What suggestion did you use?

8th st to 6th ave instead of 4th ave. Ran 14th to kensington to 19th to drop my coworker off, then up to 16th, secret motel village shortcut, crowchild, shag and home :burnout:

Manhattan
06-06-2014, 09:09 AM
10 min door to door. One side of downtown to the other. I walk. :D

Fuel economy: 1 mcmuffin :rofl:

rage2
06-06-2014, 09:16 AM
8th st to 6th ave instead of 4th ave. Ran 14th to kensington to 19th to drop my coworker off, then up to 16th, secret motel village shortcut, crowchild, shag and home :burnout:
I actually don't even merge onto 14th street and just use that lane to get onto Memorial. There's longer waits to get to Kensington from 14th Street than to merge onto memorial and get into 19th St from there. Plus, you take out a left turn which sucks. I'll bet you'll save another 3 mins this way.

Moonracer
06-06-2014, 09:19 AM
I ride a bike into downtown everyday and it takes about 9 min from Crescent heights to my office and about 14 min home. The time I leave doesn't matter as I'm not affected by traffic congestion. What affects my times the most is weather, the snowy winter days take the longest obviously.

Strider
06-06-2014, 09:20 AM
12-18 minutes Mt Pleasant to Beltline taking Centre St, leaving at 7:30,
10-14 minutes home and back each way during the lunch hour,
18-25 minutes heading home at 5:00

Could shave off some time by parking in the core, but I'm cheap when it comes to parking.

Need to find some Rage2 style shortcuts to avoid Centre St backups heading home.

One conclusion from this thread is that it helps immensely to work in an office on the outskirts of downtown... Too bad for me I'm on the wrong side and have to cross through the core :cry:

schocker
06-06-2014, 09:24 AM
I actually don't even merge onto 14th street and just use that lane to get onto Memorial. There's longer waits to get to Kensington from 14th Street than to merge onto memorial and get into 19th St from there. Plus, you take out a left turn which sucks. I'll bet you'll save another 3 mins this way.
How fast is it with all of those hesitant yielders though?
I used the advance turn onto kensington which worked pretty good yesterday.

rage2
06-06-2014, 09:58 AM
How fast is it with all of those hesitant yielders though?
I used the advance turn onto kensington which worked pretty good yesterday.
The problem is getting to the advanced green. There's more merge gaps onto Memorial than there are green light gaps on 14th.

schocker
06-06-2014, 10:02 AM
The problem is getting to the advanced green. There's more merge gaps onto Memorial than there are green light gaps on 14th.
That makes sense. I will have to try memorial today thanks

nickyh
06-06-2014, 10:03 AM
From the time I set the alarm in my house to when I sit in my office chair:
Morning:
30 - 35 minutes. I drive to the LRT though.

If I were to drive to my office, 20 minutes.

Afternoon:
40 - 45 minutes. I usually have to wait for the 69th LRT and watch 4 Crowfoots in a 10 minute span.

Driving home: when my husband picks me up, ~ 25-30 minutes.

I live in Aspen & work in BowValley Sq.

LSChevelle
06-06-2014, 10:21 AM
Haven't seen anyone posting from Marda Loop yet. This is all driving.

When 14th street isn't shutdown and a huge mess (like it is now)

Morning:

7:30-7:50am leave takes me 17-20mins going down 14th st onto 9th ave to the McDougall Parkade.

7:50-8:05ish (it's a small window) same route takes 10-12 mins.

Gets busy again after 8:05.

For comparisons sake, doing this commute at 10:00pm on a weeknight is about 9mins.

Afternoon:

3:30-4:00 is about 15mins.
4:00-4:30 is about 20mins
After 4:30 .. good luck getting back quicker than 25mins.

Same commute in the middle of the night is about 11mins.

ercchry
06-06-2014, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by LSChevelle
Haven't seen anyone posting from Marda Loop yet. This is all driving.

When 14th street isn't shutdown and a huge mess (like it is now)

Morning:

7:30-7:50am leave takes me 17-20mins going down 14th st onto 9th ave to the McDougall Parkade.

7:50-8:05ish (it's a small window) same route takes 10-12 mins.

Gets busy again after 8:05.

For comparisons sake, doing this commute at 10:00pm on a weeknight is about 9mins.

Afternoon:

3:30-4:00 is about 15mins.
4:00-4:30 is about 20mins
After 4:30 .. good luck getting back quicker than 25mins.

Same commute in the middle of the night is about 11mins.

thats terrible... have you tried any other routes? cutting through mount royal to mission then up?

Sugarphreak
06-06-2014, 10:29 AM

you&me
06-06-2014, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by ercchry

thats terrible... have you tried any other routes? cutting through mount royal to mission then up?

+1... I used to live in Marda Loop and could make it to my office on 11th in only a few more minutes than my current commute (10-12 minutes, almost any time in the morning)

Cut through Mt. Royal, up Elbow to 4th or 2nd and into downtown as needed

LSChevelle
06-06-2014, 10:48 AM

Yea the light over 17th ave kills me usually. On the way home pretty much every light along 14th st is a gongshow as people try to turn left.. buses and such in the right lane.

I am going through mount royal right now because of the construction. Easily adds 10 mins to my commute on the way in. Would be better if I didn't have to go all the way to elbow and could turn left at the 3-way onto... 8th .. ave I think it is?

On the way home I usually sneak through royal ave and up. That cuts a lot of time off, I forgot to mention that route in my original post.

way home: 5th ave to 5th st to royal ave to 8th st through mount royal. 12-15mins.

Originally posted by you&me

+1... I used to live in Marda Loop and could make it to my office on 11th in only a few more minutes than my current commute (10-12 minutes, almost any time in the morning)

Cut through Mt. Royal, up Elbow to 4th or 2nd and into downtown as needed

There might be quicker ways, I am not overly concerned since I rarely go to my downtown office and if I do I can normally leave in non-rushhour times.

Moonracer
06-06-2014, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Is it just me or is the city trying to make life hell for drivers right now to try and promote biking and transit?

Downtown has major street closures everywhere, it is just orange cones and blockades as far as the eye can see.

Ya no friggin doubt. Almost every major road downtown has lane closures/construction going on somewhere on them. I think this is the worst I've ever seen it.

LSChevelle
06-06-2014, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Moonracer

Ya no friggin doubt. Almost every major road downtown has lane closures/construction going on somewhere on them. I think this is the worst I've ever seen it.

I have never seen it like this either. Last weekend I tried to cut through downtown to go to the NE since 14th street was shutdown.. 45mins later I got out of downtown. It's insane.

ercchry
06-06-2014, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by LSChevelle

I am going through mount royal right now because of the construction. Easily adds 10 mins to my commute on the way in. Would be better if I didn't have to go all the way to elbow and could turn left at the 3-way onto... 8th .. ave I think it is?

could still get over to 8th st... just have to take a couple extra turn in mount royal

LSChevelle
06-06-2014, 11:03 AM

could still get over to 8th st... just have to take a couple extra turn in mount royal

Hmm, good to know! I will have to try that next time I am venturing downtown during rush hour.

I wouldn't be surprised if the reason it is slow through mount royal right now is because of 14th street.

dexlargo
06-06-2014, 11:09 AM
Is it just me or is the city trying to make life hell for drivers right now to try and promote biking and transit?

Downtown has major street closures everywhere, it is just orange cones and blockades as far as the eye can see. I was timing my trip in today from Edgemont, but then I start going east on 5th Avenue and hit gridlock - they closed 3 lanes of it during rush hour! What I estimate as normally being a 25 minute trip, today was 40 minutes. Yuck.

lasimmon
06-06-2014, 11:10 AM
The City is replacing a shit load of water mains. They were doing the ones that feed my office and they looked super corroded and about to burst haha. We had the water to our building being fed by like 2 inch plastic lines running from fire hydrants like 3 streets over.... It's kind of a gong show.

DeleriousZ
06-06-2014, 11:31 AM
Wonder if all of the roadwork has something to do with the recent floods?

tha_bandit
06-06-2014, 11:42 AM

Downtown has major street closures everywhere, it is just orange cones and blockades as far as the eye can see.

Canadian Olympic Parade today?

msommers
06-06-2014, 11:50 AM
You all should know that Calgary has two seasons: winter and construction.

Get with the times!

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-06-2014, 11:58 AM
Coventry to Greyhound station in the morning before 6 am takes me 20-25 minutes at the speed limit.

Greyhound to Coventry in the evenings leaving around 4:30pm at the speed limit takes me anywhere from 25 minutes to 50 minutes depending on the traffic and road conditions.

I drive like a grandma on my commutes to maximize fuel economy.

I use 14th Street and Country Hills always.

Sugarphreak
06-06-2014, 12:01 PM

ercchry
06-06-2014, 12:14 PM
almost clipped a machine that was out fucking around in traffic at sunset, no lights, no flagman... just popped right out of the construction area and was driving back and forth across all active lanes of 6th ave :banghead:

4runneron36s
06-10-2014, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by BavarianBeast
I do a reverse commute too.

I leave from Mission to work on 32nd avenue & deerfoot trail.

In the morning (645ish) it takes me 12 minutes to get from home to the office.

In the evening (4:30-5:00pm) it takes me between 30-40 minutes depending how the stretch is on memorial drive and flyover into downtown is. I've recently started going downto 17th ave/blackfoot to avoid downtown but it still seems to take just as long..

Have you considered taking 8th ave NE across Deerfoot? I work in the same area and this is how I commute home to Bridgeland in the evenings. Totally avoids the Barlow/Memorial gong show.

Oh, and to stay on topic, my reverse commute after work is 15 min using said route, or 9 min by bike (Nose Creek pathway).

Aleks
06-10-2014, 01:34 PM
Driving, Woodbine to 6th ave and 2nd street, 30 min
Train, Woodbine to Southland station drive in 7 min, train ride 22 min to 1st ST SW.

schocker
06-10-2014, 01:49 PM
Yesterday I did 26 mins taking 14th street all the way to john laurie then shag to sage hill :rofl:
Such a calm relaxing drive:burnout:

chongkee_
06-10-2014, 02:19 PM
Yesterday I did 26 mins taking 14th street all the way to john laurie then shag to sage hill :rofl:
Such a calm relaxing drive:burnout:

That's my route from the Beltline to Sherwood.

Mitsu3000gt
06-10-2014, 02:51 PM
Yesterday it took me 63 minutes to drive from 12th ave and 11th ST SW to Sunnyside, leaving just after 5PM. That should be a 5 min drive. There is so much construction and lane closures downtown it's insane. 14th st is also dug up. It's awful on that end of DT right now.

lilmira
06-10-2014, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Yesterday it took me 63 minutes to drive from 12th ave and 11th ST SW to Sunnyside, leaving just after 5PM. That should be a 5 min drive. There is so much construction and lane closures downtown it's insane. 14th st is also dug up. It's awful on that end of DT right now.

Yep 14st is FUBAR from 11ave and down at the moment, screwing up my commute home big time.

DeleriousZ
06-11-2014, 09:54 PM
Petroleum show has bumped my drive home time to around double what it was before, been about an hour the last 2 days instead of 30ish.

wintonyk
06-11-2014, 11:43 PM
not working downtown but go from queensland to 32nd ave/deerfoot. leaving 7:20-7:30 door to door just under 20. the only bottleneck en route is right at southland.

on way home. i go 12st > 27 ave >23 st then wind until i get onto 16 ave > deerfoot

this little detour cuts maybe 10 minutes off my return home as the 32nd ave and 12st is ridiculous as is 32nd turning left to deer foot.

door to door on way home
leaving at 5pm - 40-45 min
leaving at 5:15 it takes about 30 min

rage2
06-12-2014, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by DeleriousZ
Petroleum show has bumped my drive home time to around double what it was before, been about an hour the last 2 days instead of 30ish.
Ahh so that's what it was. I couldn't figure out why getting into downtown was such a gong show this week, my commute to work has been averaging 23 minutes because there was no smooth way into the core.