PDA

View Full Version : Apple to abandone 3.5mm headphone jacks?

AG_Styles
06-05-2014, 02:54 PM
Now the beats deal makes sense.

they've quietly defined the spec for their new proprietary jack.
http://9to5mac.com/2014/06/03/apple-introduces-mfi-specs-for-lightning-cable-headphones-support-arriving-in-future-ios-update/

Adding to rumors they are getting ready to release their own proprietary system of audio jacks.

"Like most Apple innovations this brings some notable upsides. The 3.5mm jack (technically called a ‘TRS’ connector) is rarely the bottleneck to audio quality, but the Lightning port will enable a switch from analogue to digital audio with an exceedingly high lossless stereo 48 kHz digital output and mono 48 kHz digital input. If you can afford a $1,000 pair of headphones you may pick up the difference."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2014/06/05/apple-to-abandon-headphone-jack-suddenly-beats-deal-makes-sense/

So in short, even more overpriced dongles incoming!!!

GQBalla
06-05-2014, 02:56 PM
sigh.

im not going back to Android so looks like ill just pony up and pay

DeleriousZ
06-05-2014, 03:01 PM
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11/117031/3783720-lol.gif

oh apple...

Mitsu3000gt
06-05-2014, 03:06 PM
What a disaster. Obviously they will make even more money from the Apple faithful, but they are going to lose even more customers. They need to work on better hardware and innovative additions IMO. Apple has totally lost it's shine since Steve Jobs passed on.

blitz
06-05-2014, 03:16 PM
Just because the lighting port can take headphones doesn't mean they won't include a 3.5mm jack...

tha_bandit
06-05-2014, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by blitz
Just because the lighting port can take headphones doesn't mean they won't include a 3.5mm jack...

anything to shave a couple of mm's, or better yet use that space for battery, plus the lighting connector can enable data transfer for 'more features'. I see a lighting to 3.5mm adapter coming :rofl:

rage2
06-05-2014, 03:25 PM
What's hilarious is that the only thing that's been added to the spec is audio in support for the lightning port. That somehow turned into a huge speculative article on lightning connection headphones. Everything the article talks about (aside from audio in) has been available since lightning day 1, and Apple port day 1 (at least in analog form). This is exactly how iPod docks and car integration works over the iPod/Lightning connector.

Of course, an article on audio input being added to lightning specs won't get much clicks. :rofl:

quick_scar
06-05-2014, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by tha_bandit

anything to shave a couple of mm's, or better yet use that space for battery, plus the lighting connector can enable data transfer for 'more features'. I see a lighting to 3.5mm adapter coming :rofl:

and for $30+ I am willing to bet.

Xtrema
06-05-2014, 03:47 PM
Guys, all this means is if you don't like Apple's D2A module in the iDevice, you can buy a set of cans and have your own D2A.

And guess what, I'm sure a pair of Beats will the be first out of the gate with this new feature. Then all the cool kids will laugh at you for using the 3.5mm jack.

:rofl:

flipstah
06-05-2014, 03:56 PM
COME JOIN THE WINDOWS PHONE MOVEMENT.

BILL GATES FOR ALL.

adam c
06-05-2014, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by quick_scar

and for $30+ I am willing to bet.

Considering the lightning cables is that price range it would probably be more like 45-50

firebane
06-05-2014, 04:29 PM
Even if you could bump up the audio quality this doesn't mean its going to do squat.

Music in general doesn't even come close to digital quality when ripped from CD or most sources. So does this mean iTunes will be providing higher quality music for more money?

Xtrema
06-05-2014, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by firebane
Even if you could bump up the audio quality this doesn't mean its going to do squat.

Music in general doesn't even come close to digital quality when ripped from CD or most sources. So does this mean iTunes will be providing higher quality music for more money?

It's not about quality of the source. It's about the quality of digital to analog converter. At least that's how I read it.

You are no longer tied to Apple's DAC and have more choices.

Down the road, who knows. May be a pair of Beats will have Google glass type of display all driven by the lightning port.

nzwasp
06-05-2014, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

It's not about quality of the source. It's about the quality of digital to analog converter. At least that's how I read it.

You are no longer tied to Apple's DAC and have more choices.

Down the road, who knows. May be a pair of Beats will have Google glass type of display all driven by the lightning port.

Maybe in 5 years - Apple seems super slow with releasing cutting edge features.

Nufy
06-07-2014, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by adam c

Considering the lightning cables is that price range it would probably be more like 45-50

Mono price bootleg version for $ 2.75

JAYMEZ
06-07-2014, 11:35 AM
The first thing I read in this article was

[Editor's note: The original headline stated as fact that Apple was abandoning the headphone jack. This is informed opinion, so we added a question mark.]

Seems like a way to get clicks to the site . :guns:

AG_Styles
06-07-2014, 01:34 PM
https://sg.news.yahoo.com/apple-announces-headphone-standard-152845600.html

"During a WWDC briefing session this week, Apple revealed its plans for a new standard that would use the company's own Lightning Connector port to plug a set of headphones into a smartphone or tablet.

According to Apple Insider, which first reported on the WWDC session, if Apple were to remove the headphone jack on future iPhones it would free up space for other internal components, such as a bigger battery, something that will be needed if the next-generation iPhone is to have a bigger, higher resolution display."