PDA

View Full Version : Out of Province Inspection troubles.

16hypen3sp
06-06-2014, 04:26 AM
So my brother has a little issue with an out of province inspection for his 07 Honda Shadow... he can't get a shop to do one. A local shop anyway.

They are all saying they are booked solid for the next 2 - 3 months.

Another thing that is pissing him off is the bike originated in Alberta, then moved to Nova Scotia for a year, now its back in Alberta in my brothers hands and needs an OOP. We all know its the rules. He can understand that a machine would need one if it was completely foreign but one that originated in this province? I understand his frustrations over the matter.

As it sits right now, the bike is insured, he has the bill of sale and an "in-transit" pass. He just rides with that all the time.

Another problem, that I'm not sure about... It still has the NS plate belonging to the previous owner attached. Should he remove that due to legal reasons? The previous owner told him to keep it on because it would attract attention without it.

Modelexis
06-06-2014, 07:28 AM
I would never let anyone keep my plates for longer than it took to ride home. If a cop pulls him over and the case goes to court, guess who is going to get dragged into the whole situation?

Guy sounds lazy, how many places has he called?
He shouldn't be riding that bike with the old owner's plates.

Sounds like the type of guy who rides with a short sleeve t-shirt

bjstare
06-06-2014, 08:10 AM
It's not that surprising shops are booked. This is arguably the busiest two months of the year for bike shops.

Also, he's an idiot for riding with that plate on. What if the previous owner changes his mind, and reports the plate lost or stolen? Then your bro will have another headache on his hands.

This is why I buy my bikes in the fall and winter.

lasimmon
06-06-2014, 01:55 PM
And aren't In-Transit tags only for 1 destination to another? You cant just ride anywhere with them?

firebane
06-06-2014, 02:35 PM
There is so much wrong in this thread.. :banghead:

ercchry
06-06-2014, 03:30 PM
anyways.... did you call the old motorcycle shop? unless something dramatic has happened in the last 12 months i bet they can get him in within the week... cheapest inspection around too

M.alex
06-06-2014, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon
And aren't In-Transit tags only for 1 destination to another? You cant just ride anywhere with them?

You can do 7 day service/test drives with them ;)

I don't undertsand why he's driving with the old license plate on - valid in-transit okay, old, unregistered license plate, um, no, lol

16hypen3sp
06-06-2014, 04:30 PM
How much does an OOP cost usually. I have never had to do one before. I guess he found a mechanic that will do it for $400. He hasn't gone to him yet.

firebane
06-06-2014, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
How much does an OOP cost usually. I have never had to do one before. I guess he found a mechanic that will do it for $400. He hasn't gone to him yet.

OOP should not cost more than $200 at the absolute most.

Most shops charge around $140-160ish I find.

ercchry
06-06-2014, 04:49 PM
$400?!?! for a crooked one i guess thats alright... old motorcycle shop is like $130

revelations
06-06-2014, 05:29 PM
DId he try a shop in Airdrie, okotoks :dunno:

16hypen3sp
06-06-2014, 07:05 PM
I guess I was misinformed...

The guy he got the bike from is his friend. He kept the bike registered and insured after my bother bought it so he could get it home. The seller then cancelled the reg and insurance and my brother insured it and now needs the OOP and registration. He currently has the in transit pass and its about as legal as he is going to get before he can get the OOP.

The NS licence plate is off the bike and given back to the seller.

FraserB
06-06-2014, 07:11 PM
It would be smart to park the bike as well until you get a new permit to go to the OOP.

16hypen3sp
06-06-2014, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
$400?!?! for a crooked one i guess thats alright... old motorcycle shop is like $130

Local Harley shop told him 400 for their mechanics to do it.

ercchry
06-06-2014, 10:02 PM
Seriously... old motorcycle shop... just call