PDA

View Full Version : calgary garage

ctochico
06-06-2014, 09:04 AM
hi there,

new to Calgary, need to get oil change and car safety check and possibly and most likely safetied to transfer my license.

looking for a good garage in the city. I used to go to midas back at home, but seen some bad reviews from the one near my place. just wondering if theres any recommendations.

while im at it, any recommendations for car insurance places as I heard they are all private here, while back in Winnipeg it was through the government.

thanks in advance.

G-ZUS
06-06-2014, 09:16 AM
You try searching bro?

ctochico
06-06-2014, 10:09 AM
yaa tried a few places, been getting more or less the same quote, so far, seems like td melonche (sp) is the best.

ercchry
06-06-2014, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by ctochico
yaa tried a few places, been getting more or less the same quote, so far, seems like td melonche (sp) is the best.

uh, no...

touchstone is the best... and a sponsor on here

A790
06-06-2014, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by ctochico

Talk to Bill, Darren, or Deanna at TouchStoneInsurance.ca / 403 457-5758.

Don't even bother talking to anyone else. They've got a glowing reputation on beyond for good reason.

ctochico
06-06-2014, 11:55 AM
Got a quote from them,

td melonche was better by like $10 a yr..haha

but first things first, anyone ever go to Kensington auto? its close to work, so I might go there for maintenance and safety checks.

killramos
06-06-2014, 11:59 AM
The thing you will always get on beyond is some people like meloche, some like touchstone. And everyone on both sides refuses to even consider that the other could be better.

I personally like meloche, always been fair and cheap for me. Good customer service imo.

Read both quotes and policies and make a call that is good for you. It's not like this is a life decision...

killramos
06-06-2014, 12:01 PM
What kind of car is it?

ercchry
06-06-2014, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by killramos
The thing you will always get on beyond is some people like meloche, some like touchstone. And everyone on both sides refuses to even consider that the other could be better.

I personally like meloche, always been fair and cheap for me. Good customer service imo.

Read both quotes and policies and make a call that is good for you. It's not like this is a life decision...

i've been with both, i would pay an extra $400/year if i had to, to deal with Bill over TD any day

thinmyster
06-06-2014, 02:06 PM
Ive been with both Touchstone>Meloche

Save yourself the time/hassle/$$$ and phone touchstone. Far Superior

soloracer
06-07-2014, 02:03 AM
As for a good shop to do general work on your car try Kirkham Automotive. If you remember the W5 show on garages they were one that passed with flying colors.

g-m
06-07-2014, 01:06 PM
meloche is real cheap for engineers especially if you have car + house. Pretty much unbeatable.

ExtraSlow
06-07-2014, 01:46 PM
Meloche is beatable. I am a P.Eng and just switched to touchstone with cars and house. Better coverage, cheaper rates.

bourge73
06-07-2014, 02:35 PM
Minute Muffler on 32nd is my go to shop plus a lot of other Beyonders. Solid
honest guy. (Ravi) For insurance I couldn't be happier with RBC. (just do a online quote and check it out )

Ven
06-08-2014, 09:09 PM
I really like Ray at 1upinsurance. Great rates and service, most importantly I like the communication. I've emailed Ray really late at night expecting an answer in a couple of days but he always get back to me minutes later, and actually answers the questions I asked. After dealing the with these big non-responsive companies and their run around bullshit from some east indian named "Mike" in some shit hours, phone menu hell, pass around, sweat shop call centre in Torontoladesh; I couldn't be happier with Ray @ 1up.

spikerS
06-08-2014, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

i've been with both, i would pay an extra $400/year if i had to, to deal with Bill over TD any day

QFT. +1

pheoxs
06-09-2014, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Meloche is beatable. I am a P.Eng and just switched to touchstone with cars and house. Better coverage, cheaper rates.

Meloche gives crazy auto discounts for Engineers but I've noticed home insurance not so much. It's cheaper for me to split them and use two different providers than it is to go either way. Even with the 'bundle' discount at either place it's still way better to do them separate.

bjstare
06-09-2014, 08:20 AM

:werd:

Also RE: Splitting policies between companies.

I'd rather give touchstone all my business, even if it costs me an extra $100/year. Absolutely worth it, Bill has given me some advice on a couple occasions that's proven to be pretty valuable.

snowcat
06-09-2014, 09:35 AM
We do realise that touchstone is just a reseller (broker) for other insurance companies?

Disoblige
06-09-2014, 09:37 AM
I don't get why you guys are saying TD is so good for engineers. It's not. There can be better options. Shop around.

ercchry
06-09-2014, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by snowcat
We do realise that touchstone is just a reseller (broker) for other insurance companies?

and that you deal with them for everything. customer service is the reason they are the best. also a lot of the companies they "sell" you do not get direct access to anyways.

g-m
06-09-2014, 10:21 PM
Meloche is beatable. I am a P.Eng and just switched to touchstone with cars and house. Better coverage, cheaper rates. hmm fair enough, I am also a p.eng. I may as well get a quote. How is touchstone to deal with with modified cars? TD and I have gone through all that already and I'm pretty happy with how it shook out.

ctochico
06-11-2014, 08:37 AM
I talked to meloche, they said I have to add my wife to my insurance cause technically she is a "2nd" driver even she can't drive my car cause its manual. and she has a claim a few months back at home, so that increased my insurance. I talked to touchstone, and the person I been emailing said I don't have to add my wife on the insurance plan. why is insurance here such a hassle. daaang!