PDA

View Full Version : Replace Shaw Modem with third party unit?

nissanK
06-10-2014, 08:50 AM
Has anyone done this before?

I'm getting very incosistant speeds from the current Shaw issued Cisco modem connected to my Netgear
WNR3500L Wireless N300 running latest k26 version of Tomato. I'm constantly having to power cycle both the modem and router and the speeds increase for a few days then tank again.

I want to explore possible modem options first before calling Shaw. I don't need the 'we don't support third party routers' mantra of theirs.

revelations
06-10-2014, 08:56 AM
get them to put it in bridge mode

firebane
06-10-2014, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by nissanK
Has anyone done this before?

I'm getting very incosistant speeds from the current Shaw issued Cisco modem connected to my Netgear
WNR3500L Wireless N300 running latest k26 version of Tomato. I'm constantly having to power cycle both the modem and router and the speeds increase for a few days then tank again.

I want to explore possible modem options first before calling Shaw. I don't need the 'we don't support third party routers' mantra of theirs.

If you haven't put the modem in bridged mode you have two routers fighting each other all the time and can cause network issues.

nissanK
06-10-2014, 02:15 PM
K i'll look into that tonight. Thanks!

I figured it was something simple I was missing.

thetransporter
06-10-2014, 03:17 PM
pick up the sb6100 series modem by Motorola. will always stay bridged as its only a modem