PDA

View Full Version : Can hardly get out of bed in the mornings!

Nitron88
06-11-2014, 10:17 AM
How many of you wake up for work in the mornings feeling refreshed after 6-8 hours of sleep vs feeling terrible and having to brute force yourself to get up?

Maybe I'm getting old but even as a kid at 12 I remember having a hell of a time getting out of bed in the mornings.

The horrid laggy & tired feeling lasts about ~ 30 mins while I get ready for work. After that I'm feeling good the rest of the day.

Is this normal? I have gone accustomed to it as being normal but others I talk to say they have no troubles getting up in the mornings despite < 6 hours of sleep.

If I sleep in until ~10am however, I get up feeling refreshed. Even if I slept earlier at 8pm and aim for 10 hours of sleep, I still feel tired unless I sleep in till ~10am.

Anyone gone to a sleep center for tests or got tips? Coffee would also be after getting ready for work so won't help with the getting out of bed part. I'm stumped - please share your situation/thoughts.

sr20s14zenki
06-11-2014, 10:23 AM
My wife cant get up in the morning, even after 8 or 9 hours of sleep, meanwhile i go to bed at 11 or 12 every night and get up at 5:30. Im awake after about 10 mins. I think its just some people aren't morning people, cant get up, etc..

Mitsu3000gt
06-11-2014, 10:23 AM
I used to be able to sleep 12 hr no problem when I was a fat, lazy, teenager.

Now that I am "older" (almost 30), I find it hard to sleep in past 10AM or get more than 8hr or so of sleep. I wake up tired after 5-6hr still, but it isn't that bad. I get 7-8 hours most nights and I'm pretty good. Anytime I plan to sleep in on weekends I wake up naturally after about 8 hours, so maybe it's just that I feel more tired when I wake up and know I have to go to work :rofl:.

Definitely a night person though, not a fan of the super early morning and my bedtime is midnight every night.

civic_stylez
06-11-2014, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Now that I am &quot;older&quot; (almost 30), I find it hard to sleep in past 10AM or get more than 8hr or so of sleep. I wake up tired after 5-6hr still, but it isn't that bad. I get 7-8 hours most nights and I'm pretty good. Anytime I plan to sleep in on weekends I wake up naturally after about 8 hours, so maybe it's just that I feel more tired when I wake up and know I have to go to work :rofl:.

Definitely a night person though, not a fan of the super early morning and my bedtime is midnight every night.

This is exactly me as well. My mind tells me I get to sleep in on weekends and now that im 31, im up and doing yardwork at 830 and mowing by 10 lol. I usually hit the sack at 11:00, read/watch tv till 12 and am up for 6:30. One big thing i have implemented into my life is putting back a bottle of room temp water the second i wake up. A lot of health websites are promoting this as a great way to help your body get started. I also drink 3-4 liters of water at work throughout the day. I find the morning water really perks me up. I sit on the side of my bed the second i wake up a smash a bottle. Give that a try OP. Wont harm anything thats for sure.

http://ayearofproductivity.com/killer-morning-habit-drink-water-right-after-you-wake-up/

rage2
06-11-2014, 10:48 AM
Back when I was drinking regularly, I'd live on 5 hrs of sleep a day, sleep late, fully refreshed and functional early in the mornings. Now that I've cut down significantly, I could easily sleep 12 hrs a day. I'm tired all the time. It's gotta be the booze.

zipdoa
06-11-2014, 10:57 AM
Sleep quality > sleep quantity

read up on bulletproof exec. He's got some interesting ideas:

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/

Neil4Speed
06-11-2014, 11:17 AM
Consider using a Sleep App like "Sleep" for Android. You place it on your bed and it will wake you up at an optimal time prior to your last possible time to wake up. An Optimal time meaning when your not in REM sleep. It actually works quite well from my experience, if you wake up during non REM sleep you don't get that walking zombie experience.

With that being said, the actual wilpower to get out of bed is another thing. I do find that I use it, wake up feeling okay but still tired and go back to sleep and the actual alarm wakes me up in an REM, sleep just making me feel worse than ordinary.

DeleriousZ
06-11-2014, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by zipdoa
Sleep quality &gt; sleep quantity

read up on bulletproof exec. He's got some interesting ideas:

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/

He's also full of shit. His bulletproof coffee was tested to be no different than other coffees. Him and Joe Rogan used to be good buddies, Joe even sold a bunch of the bulletproof stuff on his and Aubrey Marcus' website Onnit, now it's just the coffee without all of the claims. Previously Asprey was making claims that 'micotoxins' are in all of the other coffee and because of the way his was processed it was 'better quality'.

The butter in the coffee thing is legit tho, works quite well. Not sure about anything else that's on his website, but make sure to take it with a grain of salt.

zipdoa
06-11-2014, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by DeleriousZ

He's also full of shit. His bulletproof coffee was tested to be no different than other coffees. Him and Joe Rogan used to be good buddies, Joe even sold a bunch of the bulletproof stuff on his and Aubrey Marcus' website Onnit, now it's just the coffee without all of the claims. Previously Asprey was making claims that 'micotoxins' are in all of the other coffee and because of the way his was processed it was 'better quality'.

The butter in the coffee thing is legit tho, works quite well. Not sure about anything else that's on his website, but make sure to take it with a grain of salt.

Ya, I definitely saw right through the marketing.

Butter + Coffee works ridiculously well.

Unfortunately he's trying to monetize some of his findings and ends up eroding a lot of the beneficial information he's offering.

JRSC00LUDE
06-11-2014, 11:42 AM
Butter and coffee? WTF? I read it......what kind of butter are you guys using, are you actually blending it or just stirring it in?

zipdoa
06-11-2014, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Butter and coffee? WTF? I read it......what kind of butter are you guys using, are you actually blending it or just stirring it in?

In the blendtec cause I'm a G. Non-salted Grass fed butter is ideal - apparently contains proper ratios of healthy fats, whereas cornfed cows produce unhealthy fats in their milk.

I suspect one could also use/add udo's oil or coconut oil to the mix

max_boost
06-11-2014, 12:04 PM
I feel like my days start around 10am. It's been that way my whole life. I hated getting up early for school. Working regular corporate hours would never work for me.

mr2mike
06-11-2014, 12:08 PM
For the OP: My guess is that it could be your diet. Also look to overload B vitamins. The water thing is good too.

I'm sure the butter will melt in the coffee after a minute or so then just stir it.
I'd use solely coconut oil.

Also heard a rumor that the single serving cream and stuff for coffee is all Vegetable Oil. Truth?

Edit: Zipdoa: Udo's oil? You trying to kill us. lol Stuff has a bad taste on it's own. As well, that oil denatures with heat, ruining any healthy effects. Coconut oil doesn't denature with heat or if it does, not as readily as these other oils.

asd913
06-11-2014, 12:13 PM
Do you snore? You could be falling out of deep sleep due to airways issues. This is sleep apnea. Sleep apnea is a major problem that can be corrected (to a reasonable degree) relatively easily. Google sleep apnea and heart disease.

A good dentist will know what to look for when it comes to the airway issues related to sleep apnea. Ask around for one that has studied airway issues and how to correct them.

I wear a correction appliance in my mouth when I sleep. I don't snore anymore. More importantly, it has made a huge difference on my sleep and my energy during the day.

zipdoa
06-11-2014, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike

Edit: Zipdoa: Udo's oil? You trying to kill us. lol Stuff has a bad taste on it's own. As well, that oil denatures with heat, ruining any healthy effects. Coconut oil doesn't denature with heat or if it does, not as readily as these other oils.

Does it? I didn't realize. I've been throwing Udo's in my shake for a couple years now. Good thing my shake is cold!

A790
06-11-2014, 12:24 PM
What's your activity like? Do you work out at all? Are you active?

mr2mike
06-11-2014, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa

Does it? I didn't realize. I've been throwing Udo's in my shake for a couple years now. Good thing my shake is cold!

Yes, heat will ruin the essential fatty acids you're after.
Cooking with it is for sure a don't do. In coffee, I think it's marginal on how much heat ruins it. You're probably okay depending on the coffee temp.

01RedDX
06-11-2014, 12:32 PM

duaner
06-11-2014, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Nitron88
How many of you wake up for work in the mornings feeling refreshed after 6-8 hours of sleep vs feeling terrible and having to brute force yourself to get up?

Maybe I'm getting old but even as a kid at 12 I remember having a hell of a time getting out of bed in the mornings.

The horrid laggy &amp; tired feeling lasts about ~ 30 mins while I get ready for work. After that I'm feeling good the rest of the day.

Is this normal? I have gone accustomed to it as being normal but others I talk to say they have no troubles getting up in the mornings despite &lt; 6 hours of sleep.

If I sleep in until ~10am however, I get up feeling refreshed. Even if I slept earlier at 8pm and aim for 10 hours of sleep, I still feel tired unless I sleep in till ~10am.

Anyone gone to a sleep center for tests or got tips? Coffee would also be after getting ready for work so won't help with the getting out of bed part. I'm stumped - please share your situation/thoughts.
That's been me every day, all day, for at least the last 19 years. I can't remember the last time I woke up feeling refreshed with energy for the day. It sucks. Sleep center said it wasn't sleep apnea, based on a take home monitoring system, but I know my sleeps are usually involve a fair amount of tossing and turning. For me I wasn't like this as a kid.

Interesting about the coffee and butter...

desto2para
06-11-2014, 12:45 PM
hows your mattress? I found when I bought a new one, it helped alot

n1zm0
06-11-2014, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Now that I am &quot;older&quot; (almost 30), I find it hard to sleep in past 10AM or get more than 8hr or so of sleep. I wake up tired after 5-6hr still, but it isn't that bad. I get 7-8 hours most nights and I'm pretty good. Anytime I plan to sleep in on weekends I wake up naturally after about 8 hours, so maybe it's just that I feel more tired when I wake up and know I have to go to work :rofl: .

This is exactly the same for me, hated early mornings since I was a kid (to the point of faking illness to sleep :rofl: ), anything more than maybe 9 hours of sleep on the weekends it is that overslept groggy feeling. I have always been a late night person, still sometimes can't get to easy sleep on weekdays. My fiancee on the other hand can pass out in 5 mins easy, wake up on the first few seconds of the phone alarm, quite jealous of that sometimes.

I only need maybe 6-7 hours sleep on weekdays to get up really early for work, I don't mind it now but I still fight my way to wake up in the morning.

I'll have to try this coffee and butter thing. There was something I read about eating a cold apple would wake you up more than coffee could, I tried it a few times but idk if it was just a placebo or sensitive teeth pain that woke me up :D

Nitron88
06-11-2014, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by asd913
Do you snore? Nope I don't snore according to the misses that slept with me. Did a sleepbot too and no talking or snoring. One of my partners said I did teeth grind once and blurted a word of profanity but never did again. :dunno:

Originally posted by A790
What's your activity like? Do you work out at all? Are you active? Pretty active, do heavy weights, running, biking, etc few times a week.

Originally posted by desto2para
hows your mattress? I found when I bought a new one, it helped alot Yeah my mattress is a bit old but doesn't sag and is comfortable.

Thanks for the tips.

R!zz0
07-04-2014, 07:51 AM
Before i couldn't fall asleep and if i did, i wouldn't be able to get out of bed even after 12 hr sleep. Went to my Dr's and he gave me some sleeping pills. It's the best thing ever. Not only i fall asleep right away, but i feel fresh in the morning with 7-8 hours of sleep.

Seth1968
07-04-2014, 08:18 AM
Do you know if you're "tossing and turning"? If so, perhaps it's some underlying stress?

Furthermore, tossing and turning is another ordeal that can be harmful to a good night’s rest. Similar to sleepwalking and sleep talking, tossing and turning can be brought on by stress. In addition, a poor night’s rest can add to stress and pour into the next night of sleep causing a downward spiral to your sleep health.

Often times, we think that tossing and turning is caused by being physically uncomfortable, however if your mind is not relaxed it does not matter how comfortable you are in bed. In other words, by alleviating your mind of all of its stresses it will allow your body to follow suit.

http://www.sleepcare.com/index.php/restless-sleep-talking-walking-tossing-turning/

ZenOps
07-04-2014, 08:22 AM
About 15 minutes before you want to get out of bed, interlace your fingers together behind the back of your neck. Flap your elbows like a chicken for a few minutes. Do it enough times and you can train your body to wake up quicker and on schedule.

Also: Tell noone that you flap your arms like a chicken to wake up.

Seth1968
07-04-2014, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by ZenOps
About 15 minutes before you want to get out of bed, interlace your fingers together behind the back of your neck. Flap your elbows like a chicken for a few minutes.

Damn. I do that as regular stretching.

Thomas Gabriel
07-04-2014, 09:06 AM
It's poor quality sleep or too much stress, be it psychological, physical or chemical.

GQBalla
07-04-2014, 09:11 AM
Hows your diet?

Smoke?

Recreational/prescription Drugs?

Try supplementing in ZMA

Overweight?

Go get some blood work done. Ask specifically if you have anemia and tell your doctor whats happening. Possible even heart issues.

Many reasons but the most important IMO is blood work

Dumbass17
07-04-2014, 09:46 AM
ha i remember as a teenager my dad would get so pissed off at me cause i could sleep til 2pm no problem on weekends.

Now, I'm lucky to sleep in til 7 on weekends. My body clock hits 6:13 and I'm awake, no matter if I'm in bed at 8pm or 4am, I'm up by 7, sober or drunk :banghead:

Darkane
07-04-2014, 04:43 PM
OP - sounds like your cortisol hormone is out of whack.

Should be highest in the AM and lowest just before bed.

heavyfuel
07-04-2014, 05:15 PM
Fuck I wish I couldn't get out of bed... 5-6 hrs sleep tops and I'm up at 6 no alarm, work or no work rain or shine. Was still in the OR when I woke up from my knee surgery for fuck sakes that's how bad it is.

Weapon_R
07-04-2014, 05:34 PM
Try a firmer mattress. I found that its much harder for me to wake up after sleeping on a soft mattress.

shadowz
07-04-2014, 05:52 PM
Used to be the same, I was very overweight (250-260) now I am healthier, quit smoking and when I try to sleep in on weekends my body wakes up on it's own at 8. My Tempurpedic stiff bed helped a lot, I find a have more quality sleeps, wake up groggy but after washing up I feel great.