PDA

View Full Version : oops a dazy animal rescue animals seized

AndyL
06-12-2014, 01:18 PM
http://m.calgarysun.com/2014/06/11/alberta-spca-seize-45-dogs-and-20-cats-from-oops-a-dazy-rescue-group-foster-farm

Animal rescue group Oops-a-Dazy’s been left with their collective head spinning after the Alberta SPCA seized dozens of their animals earlier this week.
The SPCA took 45 dogs and 20 cats from one of Oops-a-Dazy’s foster farms Tuesday, saying the animals were in distress.
But Christine Campbell, chairwoman of the Oops-a-Dazy board, flat out doesn’t agree.
She told the Sun the animals had food, water, shelter and veterinary care and the group’s bills reflect that.

codetrap
06-12-2014, 04:18 PM
That's where we got our dog from! They had a deal with a vet where we paid the adoption fee, and got a free spaying.

AE92_TreunoSC
06-12-2014, 05:27 PM
Problem is the SPCA can't ignore the complaint and has to act on it. Regardless of their intentions the SPCA has the duty to protect the animals. I like oops a dazy, I've adopted a dog through them as well, from a foster in Lethbridge. But if they are overwhelmed and someone thinks the dogs are distressed then I agree with intervention.

AndyL
06-12-2014, 06:27 PM
SPCA would treat a rescue like a farm - the conditions would have to be serious before they'd seize that many animals - normally a coaching / monitoring program would be implemented - unless the animals were at immediate risk...

I'm largely biting my tongue here... Waiting for more details... They did do good work...

The_Penguin
06-13-2014, 11:25 AM
From the news last night the facility looked like a junkyard.
Hope they get things fixed up, hate to lose a rescue facility, we need them all.

Dalking
06-13-2014, 11:28 AM
do some digging, there is alot more that went on with that place than the news is letting you know.

Dalking
06-13-2014, 11:30 AM
Also multiple reported sightings of them auctioning off dogs at one of the infamouse animal auctions that happens here in AB

speedog
06-13-2014, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by The_Penguin
From the news last night the facility looked like a junkyard.
Hope they get things fixed up, hate to lose a rescue facility, we need them all.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and state that there are maybe too many rescue organizations around - I would rather see fewer that are better run, have better facilities and better financials. Over the past 7.5 years of being in the pet industry in Calgary, I have seen rescue groups splinter because of human personality conflicts which results in more rescue organizations trying to compete for the same piece of the donor pie. I have seen some rescue organizations become very elitist in what physical donations they'll accept to the point that certain brands of food will not do.

Another problem with the numerous rescue groups we have in the Calgary area - probably close to 30 dog rescue groups if not more and because most if not all of them rely on volunteers to make things work, that too means a dwindling supply of people because there's only so many people out there who have it in them to volunteer.

Then there's the donation aspect - easy enough to donate money to a rescue organization but food and supplies is another story. Again, volunteers are key here and as volunteers come and go regularly, it means contact with a rescue organization changes - our shop doesn't even bother with trying to donate food any more because it proves to be a very difficult process. Some rescues will only take one brand of food, some will take none because they get corporate donations, others we've had to wait for months on end for someone to come and get food and we gave up on trying to deliver donated food because it was always a different volunteer and coordinating a meeting time/place was crazy. I would truly love to donate recently stale dated bags of food and such but it's just easier to toss the stuff into the dumpster - waiting weeks for someone to pick it up is ridiculous and keeping it in my car for a week or more while a volunteer figures out their schedules isn't ideal either.

Animal rescue organizations - it's not working well IMO.. Too many competing for limited resources be it money, food/supplies or volunteers.