PDA

View Full Version : Injury Lawyer need advice

GotRice?
06-13-2014, 02:37 PM
I was involved in an accident on deerfoot during the wintertime. Lady lost control of her vehicle when she was merging onto deerfoot and completely lost control. I was unable to avoid her while she spun a couple times and travelled across three lanes of traffic and struck my vehicle while she was facing oncoming traffic, launching me sideways quite a distance.

Thankfully both walked away okay and I have been seeing a chiropractor. 14k damages on my vehicle if that makes any difference. I missed a couple days of work and I've used up the 10 sessions they gave me for the accident and paid for some more out of pocket. I didn't break anything, mostly soft tissue damage which is why I'm debating if its even worth it to look into a lawyer since its capped but was in quite a bit of pain. I just want a fair compensation. Would be nice to be compensated for the out of pocket expense for the chiro and missed days of work. Just curious as to what the typical compensation for this would be or if they will even cover those.

The lady's insurance provider contacted me and asked for my permission for my AB forms from my medical provider. I am just curious as to whether or not I should bother with an injury lawyer due to small $ amount of this claim. Still waiting for the settlement offer from the insurance provider. This is the first time this has happened to me and not sure how to proceed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

soobad
06-13-2014, 02:41 PM
Call Craig Gillespie - www.cuminggillespie.com I believe. Also no charge to just talk to them and answer all your questions.

variance
06-13-2014, 02:43 PM
when you missed your days of work, did your company pay you to be off in the form of Sick Days?

GotRice?
06-13-2014, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by variance
when you missed your days of work, did your company pay you to be off in the form of Sick Days?

good question, i'll have to look back at what happened. I'm pretty sure I just took it as time off (unpaid)

BigShow
06-13-2014, 05:55 PM
What is the cap on soft tissue injuries?

A790
06-13-2014, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by BigShow
What is the cap on soft tissue injuries?
I believe it's $5,000.

ExtraSlow
06-13-2014, 07:45 PM
For sure, keep a good log of any expenses, physio, chiro, massage. Any medications (and if they were prescribed) and any time missed from work.

G-ZUS
06-13-2014, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by A790

I believe it's $5,000.

When I was involved in an accident roughly 4.5 years ago, it was $4504. Has it gone up since?

Robin Goodfellow
06-13-2014, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by GotRice?
I didn't break anything, mostly soft tissue damage which is why I'm debating if its even worth it to look into a lawyer since its capped but was in quite a bit of pain.

The bones I've broken are forgotten, except on paper.

The "Soft tissue" injuries are the ones that won't let me forget.

Weapon_R
06-13-2014, 11:48 PM
The cap is currently $4,777.00. It might be worth exploring because you may have injuries that extend beyond the cap.

Many files settle for much more than the cap when a lawyer advances the claim. Its not unusual to see "capped" claims settle for 10k or more.

7thgenvic
06-14-2014, 03:36 AM
I was hit by a drunk driver while in a taxi on my way home from the bar. I had contacted a lawyer after 25 sessions of chiropractic sessions and massage. I twisted my neck pretty darn good. I don't know the extent of your injuries, but the "lady" who hit you. Her insurance company is going to want to give you as little as possible. Don't be a douche, but if you need more treatment, make sure your clinic or Dr. recommends you need more treatment.

Masked Bandit
06-14-2014, 06:46 AM
The cap (if enforced) only applies to pain & suffering for soft tissue injury. Any actual out of pocket costs (like additional chiro or physio) are normally fully recoverable. I don't know if I would bother fooling around with a lawyer on this one.

adam c
06-14-2014, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by soobad
Call Craig Gillespie - www.cuminggillespie.com I believe. Also no charge to just talk to them and answer all your questions.

I dealt with him during my bad accident pretty good guy but the process takes a while, make sure if you're going to get a lawyer not to talk to the other insurance company or give them anything and let the lawyer deal with it all

GotRice?
06-16-2014, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
The cap (if enforced) only applies to pain & suffering for soft tissue injury. Any actual out of pocket costs (like additional chiro or physio) are normally fully recoverable. I don't know if I would bother fooling around with a lawyer on this one.

Thanks for the advice, I mean for the most part I think I'm okay. Its been a while since the accident but I do still feel some strain from the "soft tissue" damage but not sure if its just cause I been sleeping funny or from the accident. You're right though, probably no point in fooling around with a lawyer on this one.

Originally posted by adam c

I dealt with him during my bad accident pretty good guy but the process takes a while, make sure if you're going to get a lawyer not to talk to the other insurance company or give them anything and let the lawyer deal with it all

Kind of late for that. Totally caught me by surprise when they called. I also looked at those guys but it seems like they deal more with death and extreme injury.

Guess I will just have to wait to hear back from them and go from there.