PDA

View Full Version : Wireless router but connecting to a different unit with a wire?

LUDELVR
06-13-2014, 04:52 PM
Kind of an odd question but my situation is this: I have a toshiba blu ray that has Internet access with it but for some reason it's not picking up the wireless signal for Internet connection. When I had it hard wired, it connected fine.

I have 2 of these toshiba units, one upstairs and one in the basement and at first I had the modem/router upstairs and hard wired to the toshiba and Internet connection was fine. I then moved the router/modem to the main floor so now I'm trying to connect wirelessly upstairs but it won't work so I'm wondering if there's such a thing that transmit an internet signal to another box that I can plug in an Ethernet cable to transmit the signal via cable to the toshiba blu ray player.

Kind of confusing but yeah, that's the situation!

jaeden
06-13-2014, 04:57 PM
I think what you are looking for is called Wireless Ethernet Bridge. Should be able to have that on your wifi, and connect the BR player by cables.

The alternative (besides running network cable) would be some kind of powerline ethernet system.

LUDELVR
06-13-2014, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by jaeden
I think what you are looking for is called Wireless Ethernet Bridge. Should be able to have that on your wifi, and connect the BR player by cables.

The alternative (besides running network cable) would be some kind of powerline ethernet system.

Actually, I think I see the problem now. I have 2 of the same toshiba BR players and I'm trying to connect them at the same time but they don't seem to want to connect simultaneously and when I try to use the same ip addy, subnet mask etc. it just reads log in failed so is there a way I can out in a different series of numbers to get these playing simultaneous if I need to?

pheoxs
06-13-2014, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by LUDELVR

Actually, I think I see the problem now. I have 2 of the same toshiba BR players and I'm trying to connect them at the same time but they don't seem to want to connect simultaneously and when I try to use the same ip addy, subnet mask etc. it just reads log in failed so is there a way I can out in a different series of numbers to get these playing simultaneous if I need to?

They have to be different up addresses. Change the last digit to something else and try that.

Otherwise you can buy ethernet over power adapters for fairly cheap and use those

jaeden
06-13-2014, 06:35 PM
Do they each work independently (like when the other one is switched off) ??

Ya they would not work having the same IP address. Maybe there is a setting menu on the BR players where you can set the network config on the players.

Subnet mask and gateway can be the same. Usually it would be something like:

#1 player
IP: 192.168.0.101
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1

#2 player
IP: 192.168.0.102

Numbers might be slightly different but this would be a common setup.

LUDELVR
06-13-2014, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by jaeden
Do they each work independently (like when the other one is switched off) ??

Ya they would not work having the same IP address. Maybe there is a setting menu on the BR players where you can set the network config on the players.

Subnet mask and gateway can be the same. Usually it would be something like:

#1 player
IP: 192.168.0.101

#2 player
IP: 192.168.0.102

Numbers might be slightly different but this would be a common setup.

Yeah they work independently of one another so can watch discs with one off or both on except like I said, just can't access wireless simultaneously.

As for the IP addy, you've pretty much got it except the last 3 digits are 166.

So should I try 167?

rage2
06-13-2014, 07:30 PM
Why don't you use "auto" for assigning IP addresses? There's this awesome technology called DHCP that ensures everyone gets it's own unique IP.

LUDELVR
06-13-2014, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Why don't you use "auto" for assigning IP addresses? There's this awesome technology called DHCP that ensures everyone gets it's own unique IP.

I've tried the auto on the toshiba BR player and it doesn't seem to work so that's why I entered it in manually. I'll give it another go though.

jaeden
06-13-2014, 10:47 PM
You would need to check on your router config that DHCP is enabled. Most routers have this as the default setting but not always I suppose.

EK69
06-14-2014, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by LUDELVR

Yeah they work independently of one another so can watch discs with one off or both on except like I said, just can't access wireless simultaneously.

As for the IP addy, you've pretty much got it except the last 3 digits are 166.

So should I try 167?
If both devices have the last 3 digits as 166 then there's ur problem.
Make one 166 and one 167 and it should work assuming u don't have another device that is already assigned 167

asd913
06-14-2014, 01:37 PM
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX34744

Here you go.

LUDELVR
06-15-2014, 10:38 AM
Thanks for all the help people! Finally figured it out. Shaw came in today to check out the system and apparently the modem/router box I had was old and obsolete so they installed a new one and sure enough, I configured both BR players to auto and it set the IP addys accordingly with the one number different and both units are working properly!

Cheers again lads for the input and help!